Welcome to Gaia! ::

Cheery Capitalist

Self explanatory title 3nodding

But really, I was surfing Gaia today as I always do, when I realized - this site is beginning to well and truly depress me. A bit of thinking made me realize it's because I don't see Gaia going forward anymore, because I don't feel hope - for anything, really - anymore. The excitement has been drained, and now I come here because it's just... home, as it had been for the past nine years, and you don't require reason to go home at the end of the day - you just do.

Yet home is feeling less and less comfortable with each passing day. I'm reminded, or at least I feel - like no one is taking care of our home, and letting it grow dilapidated and rickety, without any intention of fixing things. Like we're just waiting for it to cave in on us.

Over the past few days, I've been exporing Gaia as I had never explored it before, trying things that I never took the slightest of interest in. I've gone back to trying things that I'd lost interest in, as well, like Jigsaw and manga; I've been trying to remember what glued me to this place so much.

But instead, in some way or form, everything seems to serve as a reminder that my home is slowly becoming.... stagnant.

Alchemy. zOmg. Fishing. Booty grab. MP (omg, the MP). Invo...
All of these are core assets of Gaia, and all of these are riddled with issues, and/or are not being updated.

I really am trying. I know I fell in love with this place when things were so much simplistic, fewer games, the site riddled with errors, the items far, far less fine than they are now. That spark has to be in here, still. Somewhere...

At this point, I'm hanging on by my fingernails, clinging to the one thing I know I have left here. My trade on Gaia had been roleplaying since day one, and so long as my rp and my group are here, then I too shall remain - regardless of what Gaia (or rather, Gaia Interactive, for in some ways I feel like Gaia itself is just as much a victim to corporate as we are) throws my way next.

Let us be honest, here. Up until now, and even now, we've seen so many people leave, we have suffered broken features that aren't being fixed, we're constantly pushed to buy cash, and we've rode through the PM spamming just this past week. We get angry, we get sad, and we complain.

But for one reason or other, all of us here have chosen to still remain.

So, GCD, what keeps you on Gaia right now?

What is that last tether that keeps you rooted to this site?

** I'm sorry if this post seems bleak and pessimistic. That isn't my intent; I'm still actively trying harbor hope, and rekindle my love for this place. I only want to hear what helps others in this time, in hopes that maybe it will help me remember, as well.

Tipsy Genius

The features I enjoyed when I joined in 2003 (the avatars and the forum discussions--honestly, that's it) are still fun for me. If it stopped being enjoyable, I'd leave. I think I could still have fun if I were a new user, given how many more gold shop items we have now.

The real question for me might be more "why do you log in every day", and the answer is, the Projects. Man, I love everything about them--the ideas, the items, the drama, the frustrations, the possibilities. They're a great new feature.

Random Nobody 13's Husbando

Cosmic Bauble

42,750 Points
  • Pieversity 200
  • Blob's To You 100
  • Bunny Hunter 100
Friends and the breedable/changing pet shops. One in particular, and most of the still active friends I've got are there. If I hadn't run into that shop in 2009 I'd probably have quit before now. And as it is I go through months where I post just a few times a week. As opposed to 4 or 5 posts an hour like I used to.

Avatars too, just a bit. Sometimes a lot, when I feel like fighting my phone over the dress up page. Or when I've got ideas for my horde of items.

Perfect Saint

Dopamine Addiction. emotion_dowant emotion_dowant emotion_dowant emotion_dowant emotion_dowant emotion_dowant

Random Nobody 13's Husbando

Cosmic Bauble

42,750 Points
  • Pieversity 200
  • Blob's To You 100
  • Bunny Hunter 100
Myrielle
Dopamine Addiction. emotion_dowant emotion_dowant emotion_dowant emotion_dowant emotion_dowant emotion_dowant

My first thought was all cute pixels are laced with drugs! Because why else are they so addicting? My inventory and collection of signature bits are stuffed full of pretty pixels that I can't even touch and still I keep right on adding to them.

Which reminds me of another reason I'm still here. I'm too stubborn to leave a site I've put real money into. Back when I could afford it I bought 2 to or more of each month's letter. And if time traveling was a real thing I'd tell my newbie self to keep almost every letter I ever bought. Not to mention all the 04s I bought in the MP. I don't regret the items I've gifted to others but I cringe when I see the prices of items I used to own but sold because I was dumb and didn't think they'd ever be so much.

Perfect Saint

The Cake Mage of Sheep
Myrielle

My first thought was all cute pixels are laced with drugs! Because why else are they so addicting? My inventory and collection of signature bits are stuffed full of pretty pixels that I can't even touch and still I keep right on adding to them.

Which reminds me of another reason I'm still here. I'm too stubborn to leave a site I've put real money into. Back when I could afford it I bought 2 to or more of each month's letter. And if time traveling was a real thing I'd tell my newbie self to keep almost every letter I ever bought. Not to mention all the 04s I bought in the MP. I don't regret the items I've gifted to others but I cringe when I see the prices of items I used to own but sold because I was dumb and didn't think they'd ever be so much.
I'll tell my past self not to be so cheap and not invest more liberally.

Flint Jakobs's Compadre

Feral Faun

Many things lol

arrow hang out in the GCD
arrow b***h about stuff in the SF and the GCD
arrow DMS/GR/BL/Crypt in zOMG
arrow collect hairy hunk art like it's going out of style (well it already is but that's besides the point)
arrow draw
arrow guild things
arrow Ask Pets forum for advice on care of crotchety kitty, determined puppy, and my chill ball python
arrow light heart RP
arrow b***h about lack of body hair and snakes
arrow b***h about lack of body hair and snakes
arrow b***h about 928349278492837 kawaii things being released
arrow plot speculate

With how much I'm enjoying Animal bases, I'm probably going to have to create another account or revamp one of my mules.

Fallen Pants

55,440 Points
  • Jolly Roger 50
  • PAAANNNTTTSSS 100
  • Alchemy Level 10 100
It's a bad habit, I've been on gaia since 2004. there is stuff to do on Gaia, but you get the most fun out of find people with similar interests and just talking to them. and I like to make people laugh if I can.

Undead Enchantress

My unlife started here so I tend to haunt it.

Obsessive Hoarder

39,650 Points
  • Partygoer 500
  • Wry Dealer 500
  • Fan Before It Was Cool 500
I like to dress my avatar. This site has the most robust doll-maker of any site out there... if you can afford it. I also think the avatars are adorable, not too realistic, not too chibi.

I'm also somewhat addicted to vendoring, though I tend to vend just enough to get the things I really REALLY want... that aren't in the double digit billions x.x I started vending seriously around easter, it's been a rewarding experience ^^; I'd probably have more gold if I didn't keep about half of the things I buy x.x I like having a little of everything =)

Occasionally, I post in the forums, but mostly I like to lurk and read.

Unless Gaia decides to charge a monthly fee, I'll probably always be in and out on this site.

mooshy's Darling

OMFG Babes

I've been on Gaia since 2OO7, I joined for roleplaying which I still do to this day so that's a very big reason and I love the items being able to cosplay whatever I want, cut off my avatar's head if I want, get art for her. The inflation is getting a bit ridiculous though. It's definitely to get new items especially for something reasonable/: Then Gaia just wants our money. The gold sinks aren't going to do anything productive if they keep releasing gold generators!

Beloved Sex Symbol

6,800 Points
  • Ultimate Player 200
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Brandisher 100
I've been on this site for eight years, and I enjoy the forums, but for more detailed discussions I usually browse certain image boards.

What keeps me here is the community, even in the shadow of its former self, people I role play with and, dressing up my avatar. This place is tied up in so many memories of my teenage years, hell, I can't even open up my photobucket account without seeing the artwork I've received.

Heavy nostalgia, I tell ya.

Lonely Misfit

22,025 Points
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Invisibility 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100
Well I've been here since 2003. Some of the things I liked from the olden days are gone. The competitiveness of the old Art Arena for one. >_< But that's besides the point. I'm here mainly for the forums themselves. I've never been good at making gold or obtaining items. I've never quested or anything of that sort. I come here to chat and find people with similar interests. Sometimes I come here to complain, but I think it's only because I don't want the site to die out due to poor management.

A Hoarder

21,525 Points
  • Senpai's Notice 100
  • Gaian 50
  • Treasure Hunter 100
I like to b***h and complain in GCD/SF, dress my avatar, and vend. And also the occasional DMS run. I hope for a day when the MP is fixed and z! Is revived... D:

Fluffy Fatcat

8,950 Points
  • Gaian 50
  • Member 100
  • Dressed Up 200
Just rp with me and Zew. Life will be ten times better. I'm just sayin.
cool

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces