Welcome to Gaia! ::

Familiar Dabbler

2,350 Points
  • Forum Dabbler 200
  • Signature Look 250
  • Hygienic 200
It's Saint Patrick's day because Saint Patrick went over to Ireland and converted alot of people there to the Christian (or Cathlic) faith. Wearing green is to remembers that saint and ireland (for the Cathlics), but those who are protestants wear orange. There had been some conflicts between the Cathlics and Protestants (which is silly because they both are devoted to God and Jesus, even though they have different practices) in the past over many issues and that's where the pinching people who do not wear green comes from.

I'm Cathlic, yes, and that's how I come to know this. However, as an statment, I'm wearing green and orange to show that we all should love each other as brothers and sisters.

With that out of the way; we never had special events celebrating St. Patty's day as far as I've been on this site.
I"m Catholic too, actually, but....without the desire to conquer the world....jk. I personally like the fact conversions happened because, hey, I believe it. I like it very much that it was nonviolent (for the most part). I don't like bashing other beliefs though. I can disagree, but that doesn't mean I have to insult them. The snakes bit annoys me. St. Patrick's Day has no religious meaning for me, no more than St. Valentine's, Lucy's, or Anthony. I wear green and eat food and celebrate. It's not about religion to me, I'm not Irish. It had no affect whatsoever on me. St. Patrick coulda never gone there and the worst that'd happen to me is I'd miss out on an excuse to pretend to listen to Irish music without being laughed at. I won't pretend it is about religion to me, it's a commercial holiday to me. So I just enjoy it while it's here.
<center>*shudders*</center>

Ew, beer. Blech. I'll stick to my Japanese plum wine, thank you very much.
Twistex
Actually, it's fried chicken and kool-aid.
xd

Well I'm of Irish decent and personally I don't think that him saying that is offensive but a reflection of ignorance. 3nodding

morleybell's Wife

Dapper Phantom

13,500 Points
  • Bunny Hunter 100
  • Cart Raider 100
  • Bunny Spotter 50
Dalila
It's Saint Patrick's day because Saint Patrick went over to Ireland and converted alot of people there to the Christian (or Cathlic) faith. Wearing green is to remembers that saint and ireland (for the Cathlics), but those who are protestants wear orange. There had been some conflicts between the Cathlics and Protestants (which is silly because they both are devoted to God and Jesus, even though they have different practices) in the past over many issues and that's where the pinching people who do not wear green comes from.

I'm Cathlic, yes, and that's how I come to know this. However, as an statment, I'm wearing green and orange to show that we all should love each other as brothers and sisters.

With that out of the way; we never had special events celebrating St. Patty's day as far as I've been on this site.

Again-- he did more missionary/preaching to the already-converted than he did actual conversion. And er... It's "Catholic." *G*
The "troubles" between the Catholics and Protestants don't have much to do with St. PADDY's day (Irish are paddies, not patties. *G* heart )... but more to do with Queen Elizabeth wanting political power, and taking it away from the heads of the Catholic church.
VERY cool about the pinching thing. Whee.

morleybell's Wife

Dapper Phantom

13,500 Points
  • Bunny Hunter 100
  • Cart Raider 100
  • Bunny Spotter 50
lymelady
I"m Catholic too, actually, but....without the desire to conquer the world....jk. I personally like the fact conversions happened because, hey, I believe it. I like it very much that it was nonviolent (for the most part). I don't like bashing other beliefs though. I can disagree, but that doesn't mean I have to insult them. The snakes bit annoys me. St. Patrick's Day has no religious meaning for me, no more than St. Valentine's, Lucy's, or Anthony. I wear green and eat food and celebrate. It's not about religion to me, I'm not Irish. It had no affect whatsoever on me. St. Patrick coulda never gone there and the worst that'd happen to me is I'd miss out on an excuse to pretend to listen to Irish music without being laughed at. I won't pretend it is about religion to me, it's a commercial holiday to me. So I just enjoy it while it's here.

The snakes bit-- remember, that was CENTURIES ago. Said today, yeah, I'd be pissed. But taken in context back then? It came with the territory. NEVER means it was right... but it was just something that was -of the times-. ^_^

Familiar Dabbler

2,350 Points
  • Forum Dabbler 200
  • Signature Look 250
  • Hygienic 200
NibbleKat
Dalila

Again-- he did more missionary/preaching to the already-converted than he did actual conversion. And er... It's "Catholic." *G*
The "troubles" between the Catholics and Protestants don't have much to do with St. PADDY's day (Irish are paddies, not patties. *G* heart )... but more to do with Queen Elizabeth wanting political power, and taking it away from the heads of the Catholic church.

Well... I didn't say they were fighting because of St. P's day sweatdrop . If I make it come out like that, then sorry.

Lymelady: I understand that it's now a commercial holiday (like Valentines day). I just got tired of the whole pinching thing, and I had learn the old meaning of it roughly two years ago, so it's kinda fresh for me. I just don't like it how there's still some aggression between the two religious groups and I find it.. well.. stupid sweatdrop . That's pretty much the only thing I'm bashing about. sweatdrop
Yep, but....people take it seriously today. I know people who are convinced of a few things:

1) St. Patrick stepped foot on Ireland and all snakes fled to the water and drowned*
*one person has suggested this is where alligators and crocodiles come from. I know, I know. It's been debunked. By me. A zillion times. He maintains it....

2) The pagans were vile creatures who ate babies, and St Patrick turned them into snake. Now they can only eat eggs from birds nests. The birds started disappearing so he had to chase them out.

3) On St. Patrick's day, we celebrate the triumph over the stupidity of the pagans and make sure that any modern-day pagans realize how stupid, evil, and disgusting they are.

I think I need a new crowd....

morleybell's Wife

Dapper Phantom

13,500 Points
  • Bunny Hunter 100
  • Cart Raider 100
  • Bunny Spotter 50
Dalila
NibbleKat
Dalila

Well... I didn't say they were fighting because of St. P's day sweatdrop . If I make it come out like that, then sorry.

Lymelady: I understand that it's now a commercial holiday (like Valentines day). I just got tired of the whole pinching thing, and I had learn the old meaning of it roughly two years ago, so it's kinda fresh for me. I just don't like it how there's still some aggression between the two religious groups and I find it.. well.. stupid sweatdrop . That's pretty much the only thing I'm bashing about. sweatdrop

It's still just as much political as it is religious... AND an excuse to hate, you know? Sucks, but there's nothing you can really do about it either way. If you were to kick the English out, people would kill each other over it. If you leave 'em there, they kill each other. It's just... All one big bloody excuse now.

And if someone pinches you today? You have my permission to kick 'em in the head. HAR. Hee hee.
Dalila
NibbleKat
Dalila

lol, I know, sorry it came out sounding like I was trying to bash you, I wasn't. It is incredibly silly but....it's all about politics at the very core of it. Ooh, like the crusades? Everyone knows how it was a religious war, right? Wanna know why the pope told everyone to go get back the holy land?

To stop the people from fighting amongst themselves and the money and goods they brought back from fighting.

morleybell's Wife

Dapper Phantom

13,500 Points
  • Bunny Hunter 100
  • Cart Raider 100
  • Bunny Spotter 50
lymelady
Yep, but....people take it seriously today. I know people who are convinced of a few things:

1) St. Patrick stepped foot on Ireland and all snakes fled to the water and drowned*
*one person has suggested this is where alligators and crocodiles come from. I know, I know. It's been debunked. By me. A zillion times. He maintains it....

2) The pagans were vile creatures who ate babies, and St Patrick turned them into snake. Now they can only eat eggs from birds nests. The birds started disappearing so he had to chase them out.

3) On St. Patrick's day, we celebrate the triumph over the stupidity of the pagans and make sure that any modern-day pagans realize how stupid, evil, and disgusting they are.

People ACTUALLY believe those things as facts? That hurts my brains.

Then again, there are still people who believe that men have one less rib than women do, b/c of the Bible...

morleybell's Wife

Dapper Phantom

13,500 Points
  • Bunny Hunter 100
  • Cart Raider 100
  • Bunny Spotter 50
lymelady
Dalila
NibbleKat
Dalila

lol, I know, sorry it came out sounding like I was trying to bash you, I wasn't. It is incredibly silly but....it's all about politics at the very core of it. Ooh, like the crusades? Everyone knows how it was a religious war, right? Wanna know why the pope told everyone to go get back the holy land?

To stop the people from fighting amongst themselves and the money and goods they brought back from fighting.

Grrr. Popes of the past... I actually LIKE this pope now.
Ones before, though.. grrrrr. GRRRR, says I.

Held almost more power often than not than kings and emperors.
Again with the whole Queen Elizabeth taking power from the church... yarrrr, matey.
NibbleKat
lymelady

People ACTUALLY believe those things as facts? That hurts my brains.

Then again, there are still people who believe that men have one less rib than women do, b/c of the Bible...
Of course. God created woman from Adam's rib. Don't you know that??? jk. I can understand believing that, though, it doesn't spread hate at least. like 2 and 3 annoy me most in my St. Patrick's reasons. If you need to come up with things like that to spread hate, maybe your hate's misplaced.
DrusillaRaintree
What's St. Patrics day? All that I know so far is that it's a day when people dress in green and that it's somehow related to Ireland.

For hundreds of years, people believed that St. Patrick drove all of the snakes out of Ireland but now people say it was just a myth. [In my sig I joke about it a little. Lots of people don't get it XD; It's probably not funny and the only reason it's funny to me is because I'm a serious dork. sweatdrop ]

Saint Patrick was a shephard who became a strong Christian figure in Ireland and he majorly helped spread the Christian religion throughout the people of Ireland. He also was the creator of the Celtic Cross. The well-known Christian symbol of their faith and religion, the cross, had a sun superimposed upon it. This was so it would be a more natural symbol to the people of Ireland who had a nature-based pagan religion. He also adapted the Christian religion to Irish culture by using many pagan methods of worship, such as using bonfires to celebrate Easter, as the Irish honored their gods with fire.

That's just a summary of what I know about St. Patrick.

I wish they would celebrate St. David's Day. [Most of the world doesn't know about it -_-] He is the patron Saint of Wales. [A lot of people don't know Wales exists as well. >_>]
Oh yes, St. Patrick was also a Welshman. heart

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces