Welcome to Gaia! ::

Ruthless Hunter

8,100 Points
  • Millionaire 200
  • Forum Explorer 100
  • Loiterer 100
+ What is your relationship with Gaia like? Do you strongly react when things change or things don't go your way? Not particularly. The only thing that bothers me these days is just how much certain items cost, but since rejoining I've focused on making avatars using less expensive items (or whatever I had on my old accounts and traded over) instead of trying to save and scrounge up the gold to pay for the more expensive stuff. It makes me feel like I'm being more creative and really, at the end of the day, it's just a bunch of pixels.

+ Do you think your relationship with Gaia is a healthy one? If not, what do you think you need to do to change it? If your relationship has changed (for the better), what made things change for you? Yes. I don't even think I'm on the site all that much unless I really want to be.

+ Do you think a long break from the site could be beneficial to you or someone who is developing an unhealthy relationship with the site? Definitely. That's actually why I quit. Personal issues + caring way too much about stupid crap made me decide to step away from the site. When I came back a few months ago, it was with a new insight into how I deal with people online.

+ What advice would you have for someone who strongly reacts to site changes? Take a step back and remember that there are other things you could focus on. Take a walk, make a snack, whatever. Do you have a pet? Go play with it for a little while. I promise that when you come back, you'll feel better and maybe even able to react a little more reasonably. Especially if a single change to the site is upsetting enough to wreck your mood. This is the Internet and while I'm one of the first people to admit that the relationships and pretendy happy fun times had over it can be just as real and awesome as the ones you could have in real life, there is the unique ability to turn off the computer and step away from it. You can't do that in real life when s**t gets upsetting and I think everyone should take advantage of that when they can.

And if you can't take a break or step away or make yourself not care just that much about whatever has happened on Gaia or elsewhere and that actually worries you, just remember that sometimes the problem might actually be something else. I know my old issues with pretendy fun times were rooted in my personal insecurities, so maybe think about why such a change is upsetting you. Try and look at it objectively.

Either way, there are still great things about this site and most changes made to big websites tend to not be that big of a deal eventually. People get used to it. Heck, LJ is still doing business despite completely changing their comment sections. Yeah, a good number of RPers may have migrated, but the site certainly isn't dead.

Stellar Succubus

I appear to get fired up at times, but I play devil's advocate.

I don't really care if they make changes. Change is the only constant thing in life.

Revered Plague

35,450 Points
  • Abomination 100
  • Alchemy Level 10 100
If it's intended to make the site better and to answer requests of its users, it should be accepted with a critical but open mind. Criticisms should be to make adjustments in the said changes, not to stop it completely unless there's concrete proof that's it's doing more bad than good. How can people reject an idea right away if they don't find out what it is? They should give it time before they say it isn't good for the site. I guess some people just fear change. Too bad they're very vocal too and some are stubborn. My advise? Get a new hobby.

I like changes especially if they're moving away from the usual (like item trends). Without change, Gaia won't grow.

Thield's Boyfriend

Shameless Helper

31,800 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Threadmaster 200
  • Firestarter 200
I really don't want to judge people who, just like the thread-creator, fall for a site/games (not only Gaia) so much that they lose control over their life and "abandon" more important stuff just for some pixels on the screen, BUT... it's strongly irrational and silly.
I USED to be a very immature Gaian who would be critical to every change, whether good or bad, I used to spend days&nights on here, but never in life would I make a site overcome my private life stuff. Thankfully, I took some bigger hiatuses too, which made me somehow distanced to what is going on here, but never, as i said, never would Gaia be something that could make my life harder or make me less caring about my life. I do have a healthy relationship with the site.

Tricky Lunatic

egos and lies

+ What is your relationship with Gaia like? Do you strongly react when things change or things don't go your way?

My relationship with Gaia is one where you have a crotchety great aunt who has dementia and has the strangest and seemingly erroneous/unfounded complaints, but otherwise minds her own business.

Gaia was adopted, mind you. I ate some bananas for breakfast.

egos and lies
+ Do you think your relationship with Gaia is a healthy one? If not, what do you think you need to do to change it? If your relationship has changed (for the better), what made things change for you?

No. It turned me into a crotchety great aunt with dementia. What needs to happen is a spiritual revamp of the entire company where I whack each employee with an old shoe and shout random words in an archaic language.

egos and lies
+ Do you think a long break from the site could be beneficial to you or someone who is developing an unhealthy relationship with the site?

Wouldn't make a difference. The public is still out to get me. THERE IS A MOLE ON MY FACE AND IT'S ONE OF YOU MONEY-BAGGERS I SWEAR.

egos and lies
+ What advice would you have for someone who strongly reacts to site changes?

Piss off or piss yourself, I don't care. Just understand that you're just whining about one of the fundamental aspects of reality - the law of the conservation of energy.

Another one being human stupidity, but I'm sure everyone knows this. It's common sense.

Nonetheless, if one of you piss yourself off enough to assassinate Lanzer, I'm all for it.

Aged Gaian

3,850 Points
  • Popular Thread 100
  • Happy Birthday! 100
  • Forum Sophomore 300
Your Neglected Sex Toy
I really don't want to judge people who, just like the thread-creator, fall for a site/games (not only Gaia) so much that they lose control over their life and "abandon" more important stuff just for some pixels on the screen, BUT... it's strongly irrational and silly.
I USED to be a very immature Gaian who would be critical to every change, whether good or bad, I used to spend days&nights on here, but never in life would I make a site overcome my private life stuff. Thankfully, I took some bigger hiatuses too, which made me somehow distanced to what is going on here, but never, as i said, never would Gaia be something that could make my life harder or make me less caring about my life. I do have a healthy relationship with the site.

No offense taken! It is quite irrational.

In a strange way, I'm glad I had this experience with Gaia since it made me realize I also had a huge internet addiction. A few months without internet access (and a broken computer) because of financial reasons really helped me detox from it.

Hassli's Spouse

Demonic Sex Symbol

30,990 Points
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Partygoer 500
  • Unfortunate Abductee 175
J 4 C K
If you don't like something it makes more sense to distance yourself from it rather than "dealing with it", like some would say you should.

All I have to say is that it's all relative. One person's reaction is another's overreaction, and nobody has a real right to judge that.

That being said, there are definitely things I dislike here, but I do so in a gaming aspect. I make the hate fun.
I'm with you on this. What some folks see as acceptable, other people think is too much.

Also, its fun to hate.

I'm only really surprised when I enjoy an new aspect if gaia... So rare!

Perfect Pumpkin

Yeata Zi
J 4 C K
If you don't like something it makes more sense to distance yourself from it rather than "dealing with it", like some would say you should.

All I have to say is that it's all relative. One person's reaction is another's overreaction, and nobody has a real right to judge that.

That being said, there are definitely things I dislike here, but I do so in a gaming aspect. I make the hate fun.
I'm with you on this. What some folks see as acceptable, other people think is too much.

Also, its fun to hate.

But I do still try not to be hateful with my hate, if that makes sense. Rather than saying something is terrible or ugly, I stick to saying It's not my style, or that I just prefer other things.

Hassli's Spouse

Demonic Sex Symbol

30,990 Points
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Partygoer 500
  • Unfortunate Abductee 175
J 4 C K
Yeata Zi
J 4 C K

Also, its fun to hate.

But I do still try not to be hateful with my hate, if that makes sense. Rather than saying something is terrible or ugly, I stick to saying It's not my style, or that I just prefer other things.
i try not to hurt individuals, but if I don't like something, I'm telling you.

Partying Hunter

7,850 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • First step to fame 200
  • Forum Dabbler 200
No because Gaia thinks that they are always right. Smh, it's their website so I can't really complain.

Friendly Fairy

Quote:
+ What is your relationship with Gaia like? Do you strongly react when things change or things don't go your way?

+ Do you think your relationship with Gaia is a healthy one? If not, what do you think you need to do to change it? If your relationship has changed (for the better), what made things change for you?

+ Do you think a long break from the site could be beneficial to you or someone who is developing an unhealthy relationship with the site?

- I go on once or twice a day, longer on weekends.
I mostly spend time in the CB so I do little else but chat with people.
Hence, I haven't reacted to much changes, except for gaia becoming more and more corporate like. Eh, guess they've got to fund it somehow.

- Above answers this.

- It would certainly be good for someone with an unhealthy obsession with Gaia. However, I've taken minibreaks every now and then (a week or two) and haven't noticed much difference in real nor online life.

- Calm yo' tits. It's just a website for us. For gaia, it's a business. Let them do as they like, sheesh.

Shadowy Gaian

17,925 Points
  • Inquisitor 200
  • Champion 300
  • Perfect Attendance 400
Gaia is my escape mechanism. That means, it's probably not a healthy relationship b/c I should be doing hw...
I dont react strongly to any gaia events.Maybe only when CIs come out b/c I like to speculate on items.
A long break from this site? I cant imagine it

Wily Werewolf

16,825 Points
  • Magical Girl 50
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Doggone It! 100
I used to have a rather unhealthy relationship with Gaia. I spent way too much time (and money) here.

But when this school semester started I get heavily involved in my classes and I was simply too busy for Gaia. As I've gotten used to juggling my classes, I've been able to bring Gaia back into my life, but in moderation. And it works really well for me x3

Familiar Fatcat

What is your relationship with Gaia like? Do you strongly react when things change or things don't go your way?
    I don't really care. xD

Do you think your relationship with Gaia is a healthy one? If not, what do you think you need to do to change it? If your relationship has changed (for the better), what made things change for you?
    I would say that it's getting there. o no;; Honestly, before, and especially during the summer when I've got nothing to do, I've been online Gaia day-in and day-out. Like, I was an addict to the site. I would say that it's gotten better. xD

Do you think a long break from the site could be beneficial to you or someone who is developing an unhealthy relationship with the site?

Oh, I was supposed to be offline on Halloween until my 17th birthday (more than likely the year when I'd completely forget about it). emotion_sweatdrop But then I gotten bored halfway on the 1st of November and just went like, "********" and Gaia-binged. Nowadays, I still take breaks from Gaia - just short ones. Saying that I'm going to be offline until Wednesday, or until three weeks after. Strange thing is, sometimes there's dreams of the Barton Town forums and I wake up thinking, "Dammit, when you dream about a website, you know you're a bit too addicted." And it's just an instant reaction to get up at peek at your computer like, "It's only going to be fifteen minutes"...I'm going on a break until December, just for that bit of face-palming addictions moment. I swear that if I were an addict for anything serious, I'd be in terrible shape by now. emotion_facepalm emotion_facepalm emotion_facepalm

What advice would you have for someone who strongly reacts to site changes?
    Take a deeeep breath. Chill. This is a website. The entire globe and your life is not weighed by pixels, as much as it feels like it.

Bunny

42,575 Points
  • Waffles! 25
  • Fashionable Fancy Dress: Cute 100
  • Ian's Valentine 100
I sign onto this site nearly twice a day or more. Mostly because of all the wonderful RP's I'm apart of. I've met some wonderful people that I regularly chat with off site!
I don't think I strongly react, sure some things that Gaia does can irritate, but it's nothing to rage quit over.

Like I said above, I spend a lot of time on this site, but more for the RP's I'm in. So, I don't think I have a problem. Wonderful people and new friends is what keeps bringing me back. I can openly express my creativity here on Gaia.

A long break for myself? No. I have RP's that I'm dedicated to.
For someone else who thinks about rage quitting over something small? Yes.

Take a break. Go outside or listen to some music to calm your nerves down.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff