Welcome to Gaia! ::

Divine Muse

Kotton Belle
Also, please don't call me 'she'.

In your own Tumblr

Quote:
I am content with female pronouns (she, her etc.)

So you are correcting me just for the sake of correcting? as a transgender person I find this very shitty behavior.

PK Flash's Datemate

Dangerous Rogue

18,200 Points
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Informer 100
Sheshira
Kotton Belle
UnraveI
Kotton Belle
UnraveI
or it's just being over thought of & it's a harmless Thanksgiving announcement.

People keep pulling the black card a lot lately.
It's getting old real fast..

User Image

lol I knew this s**t would happen.

Apparently any discussion of how a black person is killed every 28 hours in America is 'pulling the race card', or discussion of how America as it is today was literally founded by slaves counts as unnecessary mentioning of racism.

I don't care if it was a joke. It probably was, and it's seriously tasteless, especially given the protests going on right now.

No I meant some how managing to really think about that last bit of the announcement & pulling out something about slaves from it?

Also, I don't think Gaia would let anyone publish an announcement with anything racial with what has been happening lately... It would make them look pretty bad, even more so.

User Image

Please google "built on the backs of". The majority of the references it's used for deal with slavery.

As a joke, it was in seriously poor taste, as I said. I doubt the intent was malicious, but it was definitely tasteless.

No. Not just slavery but labor. All great civilizations were built on the backs of the less fortunate that includes slaves, poor people, the working class. This goes back to ancient times.

America is another example in a long list.

My grandma who immigrated and had to work in dangerous conditions with the threat of rape, sexual harassment, job security, being reported to INS, health risks (back then factory owners gave no ******** about health and safety). America was built on the backs of men and women like that. America was also built on the backs of the slaves but the fact that you erase other groups of people is disgusting.

I'm guessing you've been privileged your whole life, haven't you?

User Image

Ahh, yes, absolutely, this person who has been in and out of foster care all their life, with massive debt and shitty mental and physical health, who only has two close family members of theirs still alive due to some pretty horrible things, yeah, I'm definitely privileged.

I don't deny the privilege I do have. And I never erased other groups. I specified black people, people of colour and indigenous people because, surprise, many of the recent political events in America (and Australia) have been just that! Never once did I say 'no one else ever suffered'.

LabTechX's Waifu

Luminous Fairy

Madam Ace
It's more of a jab that US was founded by a systematic genocide of its indigenous people and has the gall to have holiday about it.

I'm honestly surprised it took that long for the topic to get to this. I thought this always came up immediately whenever 'race' and 'Thanksgiving' are spoken within ten miles of each other.

Team Diedrich

The joke is we eat a lot of turkeys on Thanksgiving. So it kinda is built on the back of turkeys. Hardly offensive, unless you're like a vegan or something. Or a turkey.

Kid-Jak-A-Lynn's Husband

Diamond Diamond

42,050 Points
  • Glacial Champion 350
  • Alchemy Level 10 100
  • Battle: Level 10 250
iBalthier
TAKE THIS TO SITE FEEDBACK

LOOT AND RIOT BARTON TOWN!!!!!!!!!11111111111111

I was going to mash this but it is turkey day and I am a lazy white fish

User Image

Comrade

T H R E A D O F T H E Y E A R
A++++

Omnipresent Rabbit

30,750 Points
  • Energy Harvester 150
  • Married 100
  • Striking Knight 150
SageBunny
I say whats WAS in poor taste was the fact that the OP even considered it that way to begin with. Sad thats the FIRST place their mind went with it...

^ This entirely this.

I mean it's coming from a turkey NPC for heaven's sake. Turkey joke made by a turkey has no real deeper meaning.

PK Flash's Datemate

Dangerous Rogue

18,200 Points
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Informer 100
Jayce Reinhardt
Kotton Belle
Jayce Reinhardt
I find the OP extremely offensive because she conveniently erases all the slaves that weren't black throughout history to be politically correct and look like she gives a s**t about slavery in general.

She's only doing it to be trendy and to look good.

It wasn't just one race who were slaves, raped by slave overs, branded like cattle, and forced to mate for more free child slaves so please do some fact checking before you spout off some BS about turkeys equating to racism.

User Image

Hmm, yes, I was being totally offensive by linking the statement to some of the most relevant current events. Truly, how wrong of me. I never specified one race, I only mentioned people of colour and black people in particular because of the Ferguson decision and recent moves in both America and Australia to recognise the native people. Never once did I say 'only these people were ever enslaved'.

If I wanted to look good, I certainly wouldn't bring this up in the GCD. Surely you've seen the other comments. Everything is in line with your own. Also, please don't call me 'she'.

Should I call you an It then? and not base it on your avatar sans no preference noted in your signature?

I'd rather not though, it seems dehumanizing despite your erasure of other slaves. I noted in your OP you only referenced one.

However, if you want me to take you seriously let me know what you have done for your cause other than taking a joke out of context and making a rant thread in the wrong forum?

User Image

This is about Gaia. I addressed it in the correct forum. Although I can see what you mean by maybe Site Feedback being a better place for this.

When did I say anything about 'it'? I would prefer they/them/their, as people usually do when they don't know the gender of the person they're addressing. I don't expect you to know my pronouns right off the bat, but you don't need to insinuate that 'it' is a better option than 'they'.

I never erased anything, I merely linked significant current events to that tasteless joke. God forbid I don't include absolutely everybody who was ever a slave, up to and including my own ancestors.

You're welcome to discredit me as an armchair activist if that's what you want to do, since you obviously don't want to consider anything else. Me attending protests and making donations and the like obviously will not change your mind.

Demonic Lover

I'm not American, English isn't my first language, I'm not black and if I was I don't know what being black in the USA is really like, so I don't feel I can say much in this but I've never, ever heard someone say "built in the backs of" without it referring to slaves x ox; I read the quote before the rest of the topic and I actually thought of slavery first too DX; but again... repeat the first part of this post XD I don't feel like I can offer much in terms of discussion.

PK Flash's Datemate

Dangerous Rogue

18,200 Points
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Informer 100
Madam Ace
It's more of a jab that US was founded by a systematic genocide of its indigenous people and has the gall to have holiday about it.

...Annnnnd as much I love to delve into race issues, systematic oppression, corrupt officials and police brutality/militarization... Sometimes jokes are meant to be jokes and are totally NOT meant to be linked together.

It was just a joke, you're reading too much into it.

User Image

Thank you for the reasonable response, I appreciate it.

PK Flash's Datemate

Dangerous Rogue

18,200 Points
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Informer 100
Jayce Reinhardt
Kotton Belle
Also, please don't call me 'she'.

In your own Tumblr

Quote:
I am content with female pronouns (she, her etc.)

So you are correcting me just for the sake of correcting? as a transgender person I find this very shitty behavior.

User Image

The tumblr I don't use anymore? Yeah, sorry about that. I am trans myself, and my current tumblr lists they/them/their. I understand you had no way to know before I said anything about my pronouns, but I would prefer you didn't try to discredit me as a trans person because of our different views.

Indulgent Benefactor

4,150 Points
  • Supreme Supporter 500
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Foolhardy Benefactor 500
It's almost as if the thread creator went down the Dark-Side-of-Tumblr checklist.

Make a big SJW fit about something completely inane? Check!
Get offended when people don't psychically know my special snowflake gender pronouns? Check!
Refuse to even entertain the fact that I might be wrong? Check.

Divine Muse

Kotton Belle
Jayce Reinhardt
Kotton Belle
Jayce Reinhardt
I find the OP extremely offensive because she conveniently erases all the slaves that weren't black throughout history to be politically correct and look like she gives a s**t about slavery in general.

She's only doing it to be trendy and to look good.

It wasn't just one race who were slaves, raped by slave overs, branded like cattle, and forced to mate for more free child slaves so please do some fact checking before you spout off some BS about turkeys equating to racism.

User Image

Hmm, yes, I was being totally offensive by linking the statement to some of the most relevant current events. Truly, how wrong of me. I never specified one race, I only mentioned people of colour and black people in particular because of the Ferguson decision and recent moves in both America and Australia to recognise the native people. Never once did I say 'only these people were ever enslaved'.

If I wanted to look good, I certainly wouldn't bring this up in the GCD. Surely you've seen the other comments. Everything is in line with your own. Also, please don't call me 'she'.

Should I call you an It then? and not base it on your avatar sans no preference noted in your signature?

I'd rather not though, it seems dehumanizing despite your erasure of other slaves. I noted in your OP you only referenced one.

However, if you want me to take you seriously let me know what you have done for your cause other than taking a joke out of context and making a rant thread in the wrong forum?

User Image

This is about Gaia. I addressed it in the correct forum. Although I can see what you mean by maybe Site Feedback being a better place for this.

When did I say anything about 'it'? I would prefer they/them/their, as people usually do when they don't know the gender of the person they're addressing. I don't expect you to know my pronouns right off the bat, but you don't need to insinuate that 'it' is a better option than 'they'.

I never erased anything, I merely linked significant current events to that tasteless joke. God forbid I don't include absolutely everybody who was ever a slave, up to and including my own ancestors.

You're welcome to discredit me as an armchair activist if that's what you want to do, since you obviously don't want to consider anything else. Me attending protests and making donations and the like obviously will not change your mind.

No you are right, it won't and I will continue to think of you as an armchair activist based on your previous comments and behavior.

And if your own Tumblr says you are comfortable with someone calling you "She" but yet you are telling me you suddenly prefer other pronouns, you MUST know how that makes you look. . . .

But I won't waste anymore time on a ridiculous person, I have better things to do that try logic with someone who has none.

PK Flash's Datemate

Dangerous Rogue

18,200 Points
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Informer 100
SuccuViv
I'm not American, English isn't my first language, I'm not black and if I was I don't know what being black in America is really like, so I don't feel I can say much in this but I've never, ever heard someone say "built in the backs of" without it referring to slaves x ox; I read the quote before the rest of the topic and I actually thought of slavery first too DX; but again... repeat the first part of this post XD I don't feel like I can offer much in terms of discussion.

User Image

Which is what I was trying to say. Apparently it didn't come across well. I have rarely ever seen "built on the backs of" being used in any other context, unless it's about another marginalised group who was still abused by people in power to get the results they wanted.

Krule Keke's Significant Otter

Apocalyptic Rogue

41,915 Points
  • Hellraiser 500
  • Abomination 100
  • Demonic Associate 100
"Iä! Iä! Cthulhu fhtagn!"

God it's like people are looking for a reason to get offended lately.

"Ph’nglui mglw’nafh Cthulhu R’lyeh wgah’nagl fhtagn."

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces