Welcome to Gaia! ::

Lonely Athlete

21,350 Points
  • Market Browser 100
  • Cheerleader 200
  • Somebody Likes You 100
Hello there!

Hey guys, why not users donating to other users?

Besides, what IS exactly happening inside Gaia Interactive?

have a nice day

Time-traveling Senshi

Agent Sawbones
You're probably right. Honestly, wouldn't be the first time I've run around like a chicken with my head cut off, and I'll be man enough to admit that.

There's nothing wrong with being concerned that their current decisions are going to be the best ones for the future of the site. Everyone has the right to be that way. It'd be nice if those concerns were all level headed but there's going to be a few Chicken Littles in the group and it's Gaia's job to try and calm them down when they answer our concerns.

Tipsy Sex Symbol

Arro Copperkey
azphyxxxiate

Unfortunately a growing site needs more funds just as a family would need to bring in more money as it grows. And so, it isn't really a matter of "trying so hard now", but trying new things as we grow and now is just the right time. 3nodding

Hi Arro Copperkey!

What does Gaia see as a growing site? I remember when twice as many users would be logged onto Gaia at all times. That number/count seems to be falling as time passes by.

Magical Fairy

20,300 Points
  • Caroling Champ 100
  • Snowball Hero 200
  • Frozen Solid 200
Marclyn
idk why gaia still needs money, they have enough of it from their sponsors/advertisers

You don't know how much they make from sponsors/advertisers to make that claim. Also, the money made from sponsors/advertisements isn't enough to pay for server costs, employees, etc.

Humorist

Chibi Halo
Marclyn
Halleloo
Marclyn
idk why gaia still needs money, they have enough of it from their sponsors/advertisers

The servers cost an asston. The ads and sponsors alone wouldn't cut it. It's alright for gaia to make a profit, it's a business. I just don't like the frequency of cash shop s**t.
i'm positive sponsors are enough. i honestly think gaia wants to be a bigger company so HUGE sponsors can pick them up. like MAC or PC. or god knows what, disney. its their ultimate goal.
but ya, they are pushing that sht on us. guh.. so annoying.

And they're not. Gaia isn't getting the kind of sponsors they used to in years past. It used to be Gaia would have money thrown at them for them to plug a movie or some other such deal like a video game. Those companies have moved on from sites like Gaia and are sticking strictly to social media and tie ins with other high profile multi-million dollar companies. Gaia needs other measures to generate revenue.

I honestly have to ask after seeing you claim more than once that sponsors are all Gaia needs and they can do away with all this Cash rigamarole, what do you honestly believe Gaia spends their money on? Do you believe all they do is pay employees and buy more Nerf ammo? Do you honestly not understand there's more to Gaia than just the people working there? Do you think they all work from their houses and all the data is kept on one server they rent out someplace? Or do you believe that they pay for something once and that's it there's no more need to pay for something other than the people who work there and they earn that with sponsors? I seriously can't believe you'd be that niave about how a business works that you'd think two or three sponsors are going to cover all the costs for the rest of the life of the site.

oh gee. how vigilant. defending gaia's honor! HU-RAH! emotion_awesome
i honestly don't know what we are talking about anymore, iv been gone and came back to this, and was like whaaaatt? 'nways, yes they can live on sponsors.

Humorist

Sakura Parfait
Marclyn

You don't know how much they make from sponsors/advertisers to make that claim. Also, the money made from sponsors/advertisements isn't enough to pay for server costs, employees, etc.
ew, gross, and how do you know if it's not enough? same a i think it's enough. you guys bicker like married wives. gonk
having a conversation is hard on gaia. it always turns into a debat, never a conversation. geezus!!!

Time-traveling Senshi

Marclyn
i honestly don't know what we are talking about anymore, iv been gone and came back to this, and was like whaaaatt? 'nways, yes they can live on sponsors.

How though? How can they live on sponsors alone? What should they give up in the office so they can live on sponsors alone all their security software, their updates to their art software, new versions of their programming languages they use, updates to their server software, properly working styluses for their tablets, video editing software? You tell me what Gaia should cut in the office in order to keep the site exactly how it is on Sponsors alone.

Humorist

Chibi Halo
Marclyn

How though? How can they live on sponsors alone? What should they give up in the office so they can live on sponsors alone all their security software, their updates to their art software, new versions of their programming languages they use, updates to their server software, properly working styluses for their tablets, video editing software? You tell me what Gaia should cut in the office in order to keep the site exactly how it is on Sponsors alone.

i can as well as you the same questions, how do you know they are not? eh? not to sound mean but geee people are gaia are so angry and so vicious to debate. it's like you can't have a conversation! gonk
like you dont win enough in life so you come to gaia to debate and HAS to win. i'm done with this convo. yes u win! yah! *raises your hand, gives you trophy* you was right! i am SO WRONG
im the bad guy! you the good! yah!! it's a movie! you won! good guy win, bad guy lose : (

Super Noob

15,525 Points
  • Hotblooded Hero 50
  • Battle: Knight 100
  • Battle: KO 200
Starshine
Gaia online is happy to ingore all the capping on gold producing games and all past attempts to slow inflation as long as they can have your $5.

This is basically what I think.

Mysterious Trickster

VVhip

Basically, if there aren't those of us willing to fund the site, the rest of the folks wanting everything for free will lose it all anyway when the site can't fund itself.

Gaia Interactive won't maintain Gaia Online if it can't financially support itself. Why would they. It'll close it's doors like Tinier Me did and many other sites do.

And fine fine it appears like greed, but if there are spendy folk willing to drop a grand on something so I can keep using free forums? Good luck to 'em.

Sure, I can use free forums elsewhere, but then I'd miss seeing all you folks every day. ;D

Eh, I think'd users would migrate over to Solia, Menewsha, or other avatar sites and the same crowd will come back in full, without skipping a beat.

Familiar Traveler

14,475 Points
  • Brandisher 100
  • Survivor 150
  • Battle: Rogue 100
Marclyn
Chibi Halo
Marclyn

i can as well as you the same questions, how do you know they are not? eh? not to sound mean but geee people are gaia are so angry and so vicious to debate. it's like you can't have a conversation! gonk
like you dont win enough in life so you come to gaia to debate and HAS to win. i'm done with this convo. yes u win! yah! *raises your hand, gives you trophy* you was right! i am SO WRONG
im the bad guy! you the good! yah!! it's a movie! you won! good guy win, bad guy lose : (

That theory rings a bit hollow when told in such a condescending manner. FYI.

And, as someone intimate with the inner workings of computer and website maintenance, I can tell you that sponsors alone do not a profit make, unless the sponsors are willing to pay a significant amount, or there are many, many sponsors to pay. Ad space, in the grand scheme of things, does not cost as much as you might think.

GaiaOnline, as popular as it is, doesn't have large corporations vying for it's ad space, especially now considering how popular it is to advertise on social media. Also, Gaia Inc. is doing what it can to not have to change itself to garner those advertisers. You know, not "selling out"? For our sake.

And to suggest that they "give up" on things in the office so they can live on sponsors alone is basically saying "Fire all your artists, except one, 'cause we really don't need the variety, and you know, artist jobs are SO easy to find in the middle of a recession right now. Oh, and do you really need more than, say, two computers? Or even an office building? Hell, just move everything to someone's basement and they can stay awake 24/7 to work the website alone. As long as they can survive on sponsors, right? Right?"

Seriously, do you even know how much sponsors pay? Do you even know what sponsors demand in return for ad space? Doesn't sound like it.

Humorist

Petite Symphony
Marclyn
Chibi Halo
Marclyn

And, as someone intimate with the inner workings of computer and website maintenance, I can tell you that sponsors alone do not a profit make, unless the sponsors are willing to pay a significant amount, or there are many, many sponsors to pay. Ad space, in the grand scheme of things, does not cost as much as you might think.

GaiaOnline, as popular as it is, doesn't have large corporations vying for it's ad space, especially now considering how popular it is to advertise on social media. Also, Gaia Inc. is doing what it can to not have to change itself to garner those advertisers. You know, not "selling out"? For our sake.

And to suggest that they "give up" on things in the office so they can live on sponsors alone is basically saying "Fire all your artists, except one, 'cause we really don't need the variety, and you know, artist jobs are SO easy to find in the middle of a recession right now. Oh, and do you really need more than, say, two computers? Or even an office building? Hell, just move everything to someone's basement and they can stay awake 24/7 to work the website alone. As long as they can survive on sponsors, right? Right?"

Seriously, do you even know how much sponsors pay? Do you even know what sponsors demand in return for ad space? Doesn't sound like it.
you say all these, where are your creditionals. LLOLL. unless you'v worked for gaia before, who's to say those arn't the reasons? i THOUGHT so... geeeesshh people and their non conversational skills, turn everything into an arguemnt or debate... goooshhh... 1st world problems..
i think im done talking to you, you're just debating and wasting time. wasting my time reading and your time typing. i'm not here to debate, if you want to win an arguement, take a argumentive course and join the speech team. this isn't school for christs sake, it's a place to talk.LOL, so till you learn how to do that i'll respond to you.

OG Member

Marclyn
Petite Symphony
Marclyn
Chibi Halo
Marclyn

you say all these, where are your creditionals. LLOLL. unless you'v worked for gaia before, who's to say those arn't the reasons? i THOUGHT so... geeeesshh people and their non conversational skills, turn everything into an arguemnt or debate... goooshhh... 1st world problems..
i think im done talking to you, you're just debating and wasting time. wasting my time reading and your time typing. i'm not here to debate, if you want to win an arguement, take a argumentive course and join the speech team. this isn't school for christs sake, it's a place to talk.LOL, so till you learn how to do that i'll respond to you.
When you disagree with someone and you list reasons why, long with reasons why they are wrong, that's debate. Debating happens on the forums, all the time. It's apart of normal conversation.Thus far, you haven't been contributing anything to this conversation other than complaints about debate. That seems a bit ignorant, seeing as how this is clearly a debate thread with differing opinions. Debating involves talking. Not all talking involves debating. I say the best thing you can do for yourself is brush up on the definition of debate and lurk around the forums more often to see that there is nothing wrong with it, an forums actually support/welcome it.

Humorist

Zseigh Di
Marclyn
Petite Symphony
Marclyn
Chibi Halo
Marclyn

When you disagree with someone and you list reasons why, long with reasons why they are wrong, that's debate. Debating happens on the forums, all the time. It's apart of normal conversation.Thus far, you haven't been contributing anything to this conversation other than complaints about debate. That seems a bit ignorant, seeing as how this is clearly a debate thread with differing opinions. Debating involves talking. Not all talking involves debating. I say the best thing you can do for yourself is brush up on the definition of debate and lurk around the forums more often to see that there is nothing wrong with it, an forums actually support/welcome it.
no! this thread isn't about debate, this thread was one guy's opinion of something and PEOPLE by gosh PEOPLE OF GAIA just has to put in their lame 2 cents. like seriously if i disagreed with this guy, id say he has a point and say this is what i belive and start a friendly convo. but geeezus people on gaia are socially akward and always has to WIN and DEBATE. like they need this win to make them happy! LOL, so you know what i say to you. YOU WIN! i wrong, you right, *hands over a trophy*

Apocalyptic Streaker

17,850 Points
  • Tipsy 100
  • Cheercrusher 50
  • Streaker 200
Rabid-Turtle

I love how everyone forgets that gaia is now a business. In business if you don't have revenue you cease to exist.

Not only are there costs to hosting/maintaining/updating the website itself, there are additional costs to hosting the ads online along with the possible costs of creating the ads. Did you know that websites have an inventory of "impressions" meaning that you can only host as many ads as your inventory can cover? Its not like they can sell endless ad space. Plus many users enable adblock so those ads cannot be seen preventing gaia from earning ad revenue.

There are many aspects of business that needs funding to keep it in place including, site costs, staffing, production/maintenance of features office supplies and the cost to have an office in general.

No-one is forcing you to spend money on this site but next time you are playing a game or enjoying a new feature maybe you'll be a little more thankful to those who do, instead of griping about how gaia doesn't need money.

I understand why users were upset over the whole "Halo" business. But do we really need to complain every time something gcash related is released? I honestly think people aren't happy unless they have something to b***h and moan about.

Marclyn

Do you have proof of this? What makes you so confident that this is the case? You must have an inside scoop on their finances to be so sure.

Masquerade! Paper faces on parade. Masquerade!

Considering that Gaia now has a way to legally purchase Gaia Gold on accounts that have yet to purchase Gaia Cash, this is going to cause it to bite itself on its a** while shooting itself in the head yet again. I have about twenty mules that have been used for storage and character purposes at one time or another that I never had purchased Gaia Cash on ever. Since it only takes five dollars on each for a free five hundred thousand gold, that would equate to ten million gold for spending one hundred dollars, not including anything made via the items purchased in the Cash Shop. There are tons more users that have a crap load more mules than I, so imagine all of them obtaining that much gold for five dollars a pop. If people are about to drop one thousand dollars easily on one or more items in a month's time, going through their mules for a s**t ton of "free" gold is a walk in the park. This is going to send the Gaian economy into the toilet and with inflation skyrocketing, it will only make users want to quit; this is the scenario played out on nearly every iPhone app game I have played once the economy became out of control for one reason or another and tinierme is an example of bad business practices concerning money and the virtual economy.

There are ways to mask the funneling issue on accounts with the gold especially when you get to talking about IPs that rotate or are changed in another way. Gaia may be a business and needs to earn money, but there are plenty of ways to go about bringing in that revenue than what has been happening this year alone and that has a lot of users, including myself, extremely unhappy and fearful for Gaia's near future status.

Hide your face so the world will never find you.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff