Welcome to Gaia! ::

Tipsy Sex Symbol

Is it all a contest, Gaia? Are we really playing the games that you, yourself find unlawful?

While of course, you cannot be in direct violation of your own rules, let me tell you what violations your recent behavior has reminded me of.

Quote:
1. We are playing the Highest Donator Game/Contest.

Yes, contests like these are NOT permitted on Gaia. Yet, with Gaia Cash, you give users a way to somewhat participate in contests like these. The principle seems to be: The more you donate, the more you end up on top (fiscally).

2. We are coaxing users into purchasing gold.

Today, I received the promo private message for first-time Gaia Cash users. All was fine until I saw that you are offering an option of receiving 500,000 Gaia Gold along with your purchase of at least $5.00 of Gaia Cash. Was this really necessary, Gaia Inc.? I don't like the idea of Gaia Cash, and I never did. The principle here is: Buy your items and buy Gaia Cash so that you can have an easier way of making some Gaia Gold. There is no merit behind this methodology, like there was when people would donate through means of Monthly Collectibles.When the MCs really felt like donations, not purchases.

With all this said, what prevents users (other than bans and disabled trading passes) from going elsewhere to purchase their Gaia Gold? Gaia is a virtual community; however, there are many people both in reality and online who would rather take alternative routes to purchasing their Gaia Cash or Gaia gold. You are convincing users to go elsewhere for their gold/cash. You are convincing users to look for alternatives (cheaper alternatives) off-site. Keep this in mind.

Am I the only one who feels this way? Am I the only one who thinks that receiving/buying Gaia Cash no longer feels like a merited donation? Certainly, I can't be.

Destructive Bunny

Gaia online is happy to ingore all the capping on gold producing games and all past attempts to slow inflation as long as they can have your $5.

Tipsy Sex Symbol

Starshine
Gaia online is happy to ingore all the capping on gold producing games and all past attempts to slow inflation as long as they can have your $5.

See, but I don't feel as if Gaia is money hungry. I feel like Gaia's staff is more creative than it has demonstrated. Gaia has a diverse community with brilliant ideas and suggestions. We can think of better fundraising attempts (like that KickStarter for the card game) than the direct, Gaia Cash, approach.

Destructive Bunny

0c o
Starshine

See, but I don't feel as if Gaia is money hungry. I feel like Gaia's staff is more creative than it has demonstrated. Gaia has a diverse community with brilliant ideas and suggestions. We can think of better fundraising attempts (like that KickStarter for the card game) than the direct, Gaia Cash, approach.

I don't feel being money hungry is wrong for a business, but they need to be smarter about it ~_~ Flooding the economy with pure is not healthy, and has long term consequences.

Reselling MCs has long term consequences on people's confidence in them.

They don't need fundraising attempts, it's not a charity, it's a business. Cash shop and club verge is fine, as long as they release new high quality items that are worth the price tag.

Humorist

idk why gaia still needs money, they have enough of it from their sponsors/advertisers

Magical Trickster

19,950 Points
  • The Wolf Within 100
  • Team Jacob 100
  • Survivor 150

+.♦.+ Diamond Dust +.♦.+

If I do remember correctly, they stopped calling it a "Donation Item" because it has given a raise concern from parents that it's not really seem that it should be a "donation" to a site?

I don't know, It's been years of this whole DI turning to MC controversy. sweatdrop

-~-â—†-~-

Thirteenth Bilge rat

29,025 Points
  • Fusion Apprentice 100
  • Alchemy Level 3 100
  • Perfect Attendance 400
Marclyn
idk why gaia still needs money, they have enough of it from their sponsors/advertisers

The servers cost an asston. The ads and sponsors alone wouldn't cut it. It's alright for gaia to make a profit, it's a business. I just don't like the frequency of cash shop s**t.

Humorist

Halleloo
Marclyn

The servers cost an asston. The ads and sponsors alone wouldn't cut it. It's alright for gaia to make a profit, it's a business. I just don't like the frequency of cash shop s**t.
i'm positive sponsors are enough. i honestly think gaia wants to be a bigger company so HUGE sponsors can pick them up. like MAC or PC. or god knows what, disney. its their ultimate goal.
but ya, they are pushing that sht on us. guh.. so annoying.

Distinct Explorer

not surprising in the least.

Tipsy Sex Symbol

[Shewolf]

+.♦.+ Diamond Dust +.♦.+

If I do remember correctly, they stopped calling it a "Donation Item" because it has given a raise concern from parents that it's not really seem that it should be a "donation" to a site?

I don't know, It's been years of this whole DI turning to MC controversy. sweatdrop

-~-â—†-~-

My parents would smack me silly just for spending cash on a virtual site. rofl

Magical Trickster

19,950 Points
  • The Wolf Within 100
  • Team Jacob 100
  • Survivor 150
0c o

+.♦.+ Diamond Dust +.♦.+

It will still raise an eyebrow onto many parents if their 13 year old child would spend $1000 for a golden doughnut or for the bundle pack.

Shoot with that much, I can buy myself the PS4 and some games. emotion_donotwant

-~-â—†-~-

Tipsy Sex Symbol

[Shewolf]
0c o

+.♦.+ Diamond Dust +.♦.+

It will still raise an eyebrow onto many parents if their 13 year old child would spend $1000 for a golden doughnut or for the bundle pack.

Shoot with that much, I can buy myself the PS4 and some games. emotion_donotwant

-~-â—†-~-

No offense to Gaia or anything, but I would not let my child even come near purchasing online currency. I'd probably offer him/her an incentive to stop the whining, though.

Ruthless Fairy

Do you even know what a highest donator contest is? The only way for the current cash situation to be comparable would be if Gaia had said "the person who buys the most Cash in [some time period] will receive a free halo", but that aside, they were disallowed specifically due to it being super easy to name a mule as the winner, so as to not have to give out the prize. They don't have anything to do with the rich having an easier time coming out on top; the only way to win is not to play.

It is becoming increasingly apparent though that the fastest way to riches is to unload incredibly large amounts of money into Gaia, effectively 'buying gold'. I think everyone should be free to do with their own money as they please, but I do worry about kids stealing money from their parents to get into Club Verge because I know there are some shits out there who would do that.

I'd say that spending money stopped feeling like a donation when the cash shop was opened, but then, I've never spent money on Gaia. I remember being shocked at how there were perfectly normal-looking items in there being sold for real money besides the super fancy stuff and the evolving items razz

Tipsy Sex Symbol

Siriah
Do you even know what a highest donator contest is? The only way for the current cash situation to be comparable would be if Gaia had said "the person who buys the most Cash in [some time period] will receive a free halo", but that aside, they were disallowed specifically due to it being super easy to name a mule as the winner, so as to not have to give out the prize. They don't have anything to do with the rich having an easier time coming out on top; the only way to win is not to play.

Yes, I'm well aware. Gaia has had a contest like this before. The Red Devil Mini Wings raffle gave users extra tickets for each dollar spent in the cash shop.

Ruthless Fairy

0c o
Siriah

Yes, I'm well aware. Gaia has had a contest like this before. The Red Devil Mini Wings raffle gave users extra tickets for each dollar spent in the cash shop.
Oh yeah, that thing, I think I still have raffle tickets gathering dust in my inventory because I never clean it razz It was a regular lottery rather than a highest donator contest because spending the most money didn't guarantee you the red devil mini wings, it just increased your chances because you'd have the most tickets. Important distinction.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff