Welcome to Gaia! ::

Dangerous Fairy

23,100 Points
  • Winged 100
  • Noble Shade 100
Keep in mind that Gaia gold is the virtual property of Gaia Interactive. That said, off-site trading is not only against TOS, it also has legal implications should Gaia Interactive decides to pursue it.

Tipsy Sex Symbol

Siriah
0c o
Siriah
Do you even know what a highest donator contest is? The only way for the current cash situation to be comparable would be if Gaia had said "the person who buys the most Cash in [some time period] will receive a free halo", but that aside, they were disallowed specifically due to it being super easy to name a mule as the winner, so as to not have to give out the prize. They don't have anything to do with the rich having an easier time coming out on top; the only way to win is not to play.

Yes, I'm well aware. Gaia has had a contest like this before. The Red Devil Mini Wings raffle gave users extra tickets for each dollar spent in the cash shop.
Oh yeah, that thing, I think I still have raffle tickets gathering dust in my inventory because I never clean it razz It was a regular lottery rather than a highest donator contest because spending the most money didn't guarantee you the red devil mini wings, it just increased your chances because you'd have the most tickets. Important distinction.

Still, users who spent more money had an advantage over those who did not. I never said that they were in direct violation of their own rules. I said that their behavior reminds me of the violations.

Prophet

17,800 Points
  • Jack-pot 100
  • Alchemy Level 4 100
  • Healer 50
Halleloo
Marclyn
idk why gaia still needs money, they have enough of it from their sponsors/advertisers

The servers cost an asston. The ads and sponsors alone wouldn't cut it. It's alright for gaia to make a profit, it's a business. I just don't like the frequency of cash shop s**t.

they did just fine before....
before they got new management of course.

Demonic Shade

15,050 Points
  • Hellraiser 500
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • PAAANNNTTTSSS 100
azphyxxxiate
Halleloo
Marclyn
idk why gaia still needs money, they have enough of it from their sponsors/advertisers

The servers cost an asston. The ads and sponsors alone wouldn't cut it. It's alright for gaia to make a profit, it's a business. I just don't like the frequency of cash shop s**t.

That doesn't change how the servers alone probably cost more than the maintenance fees for the Golden Gate Bridge. Also, keep in mind that Gaia is a for-profit business, not a charity foundation or non-profit org. By definition, they're most interested in moves that make sense based on the profit motivation.

Timid Gatekeeper

13,250 Points
  • Partygoer 500
  • Angelic Alliance 100
  • Perfect Attendance 400
Siriah
0c o
Siriah
Do you even know what a highest donator contest is? The only way for the current cash situation to be comparable would be if Gaia had said "the person who buys the most Cash in [some time period] will receive a free halo", but that aside, they were disallowed specifically due to it being super easy to name a mule as the winner, so as to not have to give out the prize. They don't have anything to do with the rich having an easier time coming out on top; the only way to win is not to play.

Yes, I'm well aware. Gaia has had a contest like this before. The Red Devil Mini Wings raffle gave users extra tickets for each dollar spent in the cash shop.
Oh yeah, that thing, I think I still have raffle tickets gathering dust in my inventory because I never clean it razz It was a regular lottery rather than a highest donator contest because spending the most money didn't guarantee you the red devil mini wings, it just increased your chances because you'd have the most tickets. Important distinction.
User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.
" Target acquired. "

»»» Part of it was random lottery. But Gaia DID reward the highest spender(s) with a pair, as well as offering a few pairs to random people who had the raffle tickets.

" Shutting down. "
Even though shifted from donations years ago
Yeah
up until the halo rerelease a lot felt like it was still rewarding donators

Probably because that was usually all they got in return
But I didn't mind the lottery
and I didn't mind other little ploys like the advance chance and stuff

Maybe it's because the PM I got right before their ad
was an ad for offsite gold that looked and read pretty damn similar
and it's kind of depressing/aggravating to admit they're losing what class they had

but it might also be because I can't see this helping anyone in the long term
and no ploy in the past has ever done that quite so directly

Muscular Traveler

...Now the question is how much longer before they just start letting us buy Gold directly with gCa$h? cat_rolleyes

Demonic Abomination

28,050 Points
  • Winged 100
  • Conventioneer 300
  • Battle: Level 10 250

I love how everyone forgets that gaia is now a business. In business if you don't have revenue you cease to exist.

Not only are there costs to hosting/maintaining/updating the website itself, there are additional costs to hosting the ads online along with the possible costs of creating the ads. Did you know that websites have an inventory of "impressions" meaning that you can only host as many ads as your inventory can cover? Its not like they can sell endless ad space. Plus many users enable adblock so those ads cannot be seen preventing gaia from earning ad revenue.

There are many aspects of business that needs funding to keep it in place including, site costs, staffing, production/maintenance of features office supplies and the cost to have an office in general.

No-one is forcing you to spend money on this site but next time you are playing a game or enjoying a new feature maybe you'll be a little more thankful to those who do, instead of griping about how gaia doesn't need money.

I understand why users were upset over the whole "Halo" business. But do we really need to complain every time something gcash related is released? I honestly think people aren't happy unless they have something to b***h and moan about.

Marclyn

Do you have proof of this? What makes you so confident that this is the case? You must have an inside scoop on their finances to be so sure.

Dangerous Sex Symbol

15,600 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Threadmaster 200
  • Megathread 100
Rabid-Turtle

I love how everyone forgets that gaia is now a business. In business if you don't have revenue you cease to exist.

Not only are there costs to hosting/maintaining/updating the website itself, there are additional costs to hosting the ads online along with the possible costs of creating the ads. Did you know that websites have an inventory of "impressions" meaning that you can only host as many ads as your inventory can cover? Its not like they can sell endless ad space. Plus many users enable adblock so those ads cannot be seen preventing gaia from earning ad revenue.

There are many aspects of business that needs funding to keep it in place including, site costs, staffing, production/maintenance of features office supplies and the cost to have an office in general.

No-one is forcing you to spend money on this site but next time you are playing a game or enjoying a new feature maybe you'll be a little more thankful to those who do, instead of griping about how gaia doesn't need money.

I understand why users were upset over the whole "Halo" business. But do we really need to complain every time something gcash related is released? I honestly think people aren't happy unless they have something to b***h and moan about.

Marclyn

Do you have proof of this? What makes you so confident that this is the case? You must have an inside scoop on their finances to be so sure.

Basically, if there aren't those of us willing to fund the site, the rest of the folks wanting everything for free will lose it all anyway when the site can't fund itself.

Gaia Interactive won't maintain Gaia Online if it can't financially support itself. Why would they. It'll close it's doors like Tinier Me did and many other sites do.

And fine fine it appears like greed, but if there are spendy folk willing to drop a grand on something so I can keep using free forums? Good luck to 'em.

Sure, I can use free forums elsewhere, but then I'd miss seeing all you folks every day. ;D

Prophet

17,800 Points
  • Jack-pot 100
  • Alchemy Level 4 100
  • Healer 50
Agent Sawbones
azphyxxxiate
Halleloo
Marclyn

That doesn't change how the servers alone probably cost more than the maintenance fees for the Golden Gate Bridge. Also, keep in mind that Gaia is a for-profit business, not a charity foundation or non-profit org. By definition, they're most interested in moves that make sense based on the profit motivation.

You might want to wash your nose....it's looking a little brown.
OBVIOUSLY they need to make money somehow.
My point is why so hard now?

Demonic Shade

15,050 Points
  • Hellraiser 500
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • PAAANNNTTTSSS 100
azphyxxxiate
Agent Sawbones
azphyxxxiate
Halleloo
Marclyn

Thank you for accusing me of being an asskisser in an over-the-top patronizing way. Please, by all means, feel free to call my intelligence or sanity into question when I rebut your accusation by pointing out that I was merely asserting that, realistically, the new management does not change how Gaia has been motivated by profit for several years now. And that the site simply does not come to us with a low price tag on the makers' part.

Prophet

17,800 Points
  • Jack-pot 100
  • Alchemy Level 4 100
  • Healer 50
Agent Sawbones
azphyxxxiate
Agent Sawbones
azphyxxxiate
Halleloo
Marclyn

Thank you for accusing me of being an asskisser in an over-the-top patronizing way. Please, by all means, feel free to call my intelligence or sanity into question when I rebut your accusation by pointing out that I was merely asserting that, realistically, the new management does not change how Gaia has been motivated by profit for several years now. And that the site simply does not come to us with a low price tag on the makers' part.

fortunately, you do the work for me.
I'll try this agin. slowly.
WHY.
ARE
THEY
TRYING
SO
HARD
NOW
IF
THEY
HAVE
ALWAYS
NEEDED
IT.
OBVIOUSLY a business requires money to stick around.
But why the sudden rush in monetizing every angle?
Yes, i'm aware they're "trying new things"
If you insist on being a parrot, then I will just stop responding.
Anyone can vomit up the bullshit we've all read.

Dapper Seeker

azphyxxxiate

WHY.
ARE
THEY
TRYING
SO
HARD
NOW
IF
THEY
HAVE
ALWAYS
NEEDED
IT.

Hello there!

It's great to hear your feedback, but let's take a moment and bring it down a notch, shall we? No need for the all mighty CAPS OF DOOOOOOOM!^^;

Truly, our intentions weren't at all meant to make fellow Gaians believe we were trying to "rush" these new features out and into the community. They were quite simply meant to head out at the time they were. And, to be frank here... yes we want to devise new ways to make money because Gaia is a growing site! There is so much more we would like to do with the website and bring to you all!

Unfortunately a growing site needs more funds just as a family would need to bring in more money as it grows. And so, it isn't really a matter of "trying so hard now", but trying new things as we grow and now is just the right time. 3nodding

Angelic Sweetheart

13,450 Points
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Partygoer 500
  • Lavish Tipper 200
I love how they say Gaia is a "growing site", but the amount of users joining has decreased. The only thing growing is features that don't even end up complete.

Demonic Shade

15,050 Points
  • Hellraiser 500
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • PAAANNNTTTSSS 100
azphyxxxiate
Agent Sawbones
azphyxxxiate
Agent Sawbones
azphyxxxiate

WHY.
ARE
THEY
TRYING
SO
HARD
NOW
IF
THEY
HAVE
ALWAYS
NEEDED
IT.

First, I would have guessed it might have been obvious I didn't have an answer for your question when I didn't answer it. I don't know jack about why they're getting pushy with monetization now, and frankly, it irks me as much as it does you.

Second, I'm not "parroting" or "brown-nosing" anyone. It would probably do wonders for your people skills if you didn't insult half the people you encountered by accusing them of such. They have stated their reasons for the increased emphasis on profits now, and as much as I don't like what they're doing, I'm willing to concede that they have a point about how this s**t ain't cheap, at least.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff