• Hero 100
Yes, I really do miss item rigs.
Everything is so highly priced now crying

Angelic Lunatic

41,275 Points
  • Moonlight Valkyrie 500
  • Angelic Alliance 100
  • Fantastic Fifteen 100
Yes, they were a godsend for deflation. I wish they'd replace the GGs for good and to maybe restore gaia's economy. But with the rate of the GGs, nope, it doesn't seem possible.

MRLucas Lee's Princess

Cosmic Animal

yes :c
they were interesting

Questionable Warlord

I know some friends who don't have the gold or money to buy items (at last not with the current price range) so deflation RIGs
were a godsend to them and a lot of them were able to afford the items they've always wanted. Granted, I wouldn't want Gaia
to throw in every single item but I guess some popular ones along with a lot of old ones?

Questionable Phantom

13,900 Points
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Magical Girl 50
  • Elocutionist 200
I don't think they will return; not of the ilk the previous ones were.

I had a lot of purchasing power when choice gens were released regularly and marketplace activity was high - I feel this is what Gaia is trying to restrain.

I'm positive that choice or pure item generators sold more than gold generators - but perhaps those sales weren't fulfilling Gaia's quotas?

It's very likely that deflation rigs were hemorrhaging profits of item sales directly from the cash shop - I mean, why purchase an item for 1000 - 2000 GC when you can potentially acquire it for 100 GC a few weeks(days in some cases) later?

Of particular note, I recall Yahshua's Wings being sold for 9999 GC, only to be released in an item rig less than two weeks later.
Anyone who initially bought the wings were probably bitter and reluctant to invest towards direct item purchases while everyone else probably said something along the lines of "Just wait for it to release in a deflation rig."

Over time, I imagine everyone adopted that mind-set and Gaia's primary source of consumer-based income became deflation rigs and LQIs; while other item, bundle, and of course gold generator sales declined as a result.

I feel Gaia's frantic pushes of gold gens are an effort to abolish that previous profit model in order to influence consumers to invest towards greater purchases of GC; while forsaking PR in the process(not that PR was a priority of Gaia to begin with).
The recent production of 2-year LQIs serves to further my belief in this theory.

Digressing my speculations, I will say that I do miss item generators. When they were commonly a thing, I could afford to treat my friends and myself with a satisfactory budget.

Now I'd have to spend more and feel guilty doing so... if anything, I'm grateful that I'm compelled to spend far less on pixels.

Golden Saint

9,300 Points
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Signature Look 250
Yes, yes I do.

Phantom

I'd take item generators over the gold generators anytime.

Wheezing Plague

God YES YES YES. I love the item generators. I'd buy them all. I also miss the item bundles, where you could maybe win a surprise item bundle. I was so happy when I saw them in the cash shop.

item generators are awesome.
Yes, I miss them. I was able to get like 3 items on my Wishlist because of them, one of which had been on my wishlist for years (I no longer remember which one it was, so don't ask sweatdrop )

Belly-burster

i miss them sad
it was a great way to afford a variety of items and they made people really generous too
i really wish they'd bring them back. if not as frequently then just at all, it made the site more fun and bearable.

Eloquent Pyromaniac

33,800 Points
  • Firestarter 200
  • Alchemy Level 10 100
  • Elocutionist 200
Yes emotion_kirakira
They gave me hope emotion_bigheart

Questionable Shapeshifter

As a newbie here I find those rigs a lot more exciting than the gold coin makers.

It's like opening a toy grab bag...and I got lucky quite a few times.

Kind of sad the new ticket generators are just rewarding coins.

Mega Genius

14,100 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Nerd 50
  • Mark Twain 100
i like item gens/re-release RIGs when they put out items i have been wanting for awhile... not so much when they put out ones i've just bought. wink

this is getting into tinfoil hat territory, but i wonder if there isn't a group of users that is pressuring gaia to lean towards the gold gens and reduce re-releases so their own inventories increase in value... like gaia lobbyists or something...

Strawberrei's Kouhai

Shirtless Sex Symbol

19,800 Points
  • 50 Wins 150
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Jolly Roger 50
The item generators weren't really sustainable. If you played enough of them, you'd eventually pretty much always get duplicates. After awhile when items would deflate, a lot of people would call the once extremely popular items, "crap" because of their comparative value. It seems that a lot of people started playing the bundles for the value of the items as opposed to the items themselves, and of course, as more people played the value would temporarily go down. Then Gaia would just inflate the items again with gold generators and rerelease them in item generators again, rinse, wash, and repeat.

That said, what I personally miss is when obtaining items was more integrated by participating on the site. That is fundamentally what we need, more item to site-participation interaction. I mean heck, paying $10 for 100 random items isn't really gratifying anymore. I don't like the idea of being reliant on other peoples' purchases for an item to temporarily deflate. I guess Gaia did for awhile because it padded their wallets.

Mega Genius

14,100 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Nerd 50
  • Mark Twain 100
XPrinceofShadow3
I don't think they will return; not of the ilk the previous ones were.

I had a lot of purchasing power when choice gens were released regularly and marketplace activity was high - I feel this is what Gaia is trying to restrain.

I'm positive that choice or pure item generators sold more than gold generators - but perhaps those sales weren't fulfilling Gaia's quotas?

It's very likely that deflation rigs were hemorrhaging profits of item sales directly from the cash shop - I mean, why purchase an item for 1000 - 2000 GC when you can potentially acquire it for 100 GC a few weeks(days in some cases) later?

Of particular note, I recall Yahshua's Wings being sold for 9999 GC, only to be released in an item rig less than two weeks later.
Anyone who initially bought the wings were probably bitter and reluctant to invest towards direct item purchases while everyone else probably said something along the lines of "Just wait for it to release in a deflation rig."

Over time, I imagine everyone adopted that mind-set and Gaia's primary source of consumer-based income became deflation rigs and LQIs; while other item, bundle, and of course gold generator sales declined as a result.

I feel Gaia's frantic pushes of gold gens are an effort to abolish that previous profit model in order to influence consumers to invest towards greater purchases of GC; while forsaking PR in the process(not that PR was a priority of Gaia to begin with).
The recent production of 2-year LQIs serves to further my belief in this theory.

Digressing my speculations, I will say that I do miss item generators. When they were commonly a thing, I could afford to treat my friends and myself with a satisfactory budget.

Now I'd have to spend more and feel guilty doing so... if anything, I'm grateful that I'm compelled to spend far less on pixels.

i think you hit the nail on the head there. i certainly recall seeing comments of "just wait for the deflation RIG" even with releases as recent as the vault recolors. i personally feel like i have too poor of a grasp on which items are likely to be re-released to rely on that method so i tend to either spend the cash or just go without. but i can see gaia pulling back the reins on deflation RIGs to drive home the notion of "no, you have to buy with cash and you have to buy NOW." i think in addition to seeing fewer deflation RIGs, we'll probably see them containing more CI re-releases rather than direct cash shop re-releases.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff