Do you buy art on Gaia?

Yes! A lot! 0.11111111111111 11.1% [ 6 ]
Occasionally 0.35185185185185 35.2% [ 19 ]
I prefer getting free art 0.27777777777778 27.8% [ 15 ]
No I just don't need it 0.25925925925926 25.9% [ 14 ]
Total Votes:[ 54 ]
< 1 2 3 >

Torse
I don't buy art simply because I am capable of drawing my own crap.
Even if it's not as good, it just makes me feel like I'm wastin money to buy from someone else.

Also I don't have any money.
emotion_awesome

..also I change my appearance so often I don't really see a point.

Hahahahaha I can definitely understand that haha rofl

I just see really good art and think 'right im going to do that now' and scribble away frantically rather than think 'i need to spend my money on this instead of other stuff'

I do like freebies and occasionally do trades though, but just for OCs

Wheezing Member

Autumn Snowflake
Hahahahaha I can definitely understand that haha rofl

I just see really good art and think 'right im going to do that now' and scribble away frantically rather than think 'i need to spend my money on this instead of other stuff'

I do like freebies and occasionally do trades though, but just for OCs

Before my hiatus (still waiting to hear back about getting my other accounts back) I had 2 different OCs.
I think I spent.. 30k to get art for one. Just because the artist's style was nothing I could ever do and was relatively cheap.

also I love your avatar ;-;
so jelly how you seamlessly worked those legs in
minghii
i've only bought art once (cause i'm ugly a** broke 99% of the time) and i bought pixels, since it's the only type of art i have no patient for to do it myself.
man i'm glad my friend told me about osonio's art shop being opened at that time cause i've been trying to chase him down.

though, i'd buy art more often if i had the gold for sure OTL

Yeah haha the price of art nowadays is ridiculous so i can see why it puts people off!
Pixels are something that I have to say I've never bought or tried to do myself, but I think they're really cute so I can see the allure pixel art has!
Deoxtri
>>>: (heeeey yoooou ;D)

Nope
None
Everything
Nobody

Seriously though, I've never felt the need to buy art on Gaia as I draw my own,
but if I would, I'd probably not spend too much since I don't want that much for
the art I make. I make art for fun, not for a "living". Therefore I think art trades
are much more fun to do, even though some artists are a bit diva-ish and think
their art is worth more than yours because they don't like your style.
To them I say poo on you and you don't know if that stick figure was difficult for me to draw! ò nó
But really, some people need to get off their imaginary high horse and have a
bit more fun with the art they make instead of just seeing it as something they
have to do to get gold, save that way of thinking for real life where it's actually needed.
rofl

Helloooooo ;D

I definitely agree!
Your style is the best, Deo!!! emotion_kirakira

I think if you're willing to do art for virtual currency, plz don't be a diva talk2hand
But I do believe in getting something out of your hard work so Im still going to make people pay for my art sometimes hahaha ;D

Time-traveling Senshi

I haven't officially purchased art from people but I have received it as birthday gifts, general I felt like drawing something jags, requested freebies, and in exchange for doing graphics for friends (as seen by the piece in my signature). I have thought of what I'd do in order to purchase art from someone and I'd be more than willing to become someone's letter supplier for several months to properly pay for very good art (like $20 worth of letters). I don't have a preferred style from people but I'm not a huge fan of realism because the avatars are more comic book looking and more of a general comics style fits for my avatar's character. The only thing I really ask of people who do draw my avatar is that if they just do lineart it's okay for me to color it and that any completely finished piece have no background so I can use it in a signature.

Golden Gawker

Autumn Snowflake

Helloooooo ;D

I definitely agree!
Your style is the best, Deo!!! emotion_kirakira

I think if you're willing to do art for virtual currency, plz don't be a diva talk2hand
But I do believe in getting something out of your hard work so Im still going to make people pay for my art sometimes hahaha ;D

>>>: Nooo yooou emotion_kirakira
Still waiting for that giraffe tho rofl

Exactly!
I mean, of course people should ask for something in return
for spending time on something for someone else if they feel
like they need/want it. But don't get all bitchy because you
know how to hold and move a pen goddamnit xD

A Prunny's King

Undead Labtech

71,825 Points
  • Battle: Level 10 250
  • Brilliant Light 450
  • Way Too Many Pies 300
Love it, can't afford it. crying

Madam Ace's Compadre

Shady Man-Lover

Autumn Snowflake
minghii
i've only bought art once (cause i'm ugly a** broke 99% of the time) and i bought pixels, since it's the only type of art i have no patient for to do it myself.
man i'm glad my friend told me about osonio's art shop being opened at that time cause i've been trying to chase him down.

though, i'd buy art more often if i had the gold for sure OTL

Yeah haha the price of art nowadays is ridiculous so i can see why it puts people off!
Pixels are something that I have to say I've never bought or tried to do myself, but I think they're really cute so I can see the allure pixel art has!
the person who made my pixels let me watch him stream and i gotta say, i'd never be able to do that many details and make it look good zoomed out. it's just so amazing, and since i can't do it myself without killing me first, i'd rather go order xD;

Tricky Cat

Autumn Snowflake
Riot Jinx
I'm on the look out for someone to draw my boyfriend's character while I study male anatomy because men are so square. Took up a trip to borders and sat down with a page of male torso muscles for a while before I finally understood how the deltoid works.

My requirements for who I'm going to buy art from:
-Can draw better or on par to what I do
-Can digitally paint with skill
-Good usage of color
-Good expressions; non-flat emotions

I'll always try to pay well, but considering its like 5-10 bucks for 100bil now, I feel like I'm scamming an artist, but I'm on a college student fund so I can't pay with USD.

Yeah I feel i struggle with muscle structure and things so I feel your pain! I'm starting illustration at degree level in September though and the first year is basically just learning how to draw properly and stuff so hopefully I'll improve and do s**t loads of life drawing haha

I think that's a very good checklist to have haha!
Do you prefer a certain style > another? Like, anime or sketchy or realism or anything like that? (:

Yeah I know the feeling, but if people are willing to do it then don't feel bad!

I like when people can blend styles.
Sakimichan is pretty good example

Perfectionist

14,400 Points
  • Champion 300
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Elocutionist 200
User Image
In total, since I've joined, I think I've bought around five or six pieces of art. All the other drawings were generous gifts. <3
I'm picky about art, and it's rare that I ever find artists whose style I like who also have available slots.

I haven't actually purchased art in well over a year (from what I can remember) due to several long hiatuses.
I don't even know if I'd be able to afford new pieces since the inflation has affected the economy so dramatically since I last purchased.

That said, I really, really appreciate all the art I've received in the past. I tend to use and reuse them over and over. blaugh

Tiny Shapeshifter

Hm... It's hard to say since I rarely buy art these days. I ask for free avatar arts when the opportunity arises though. ninja My preference in art varies. I could pay gold for scribbles, masterpieces, and anything in between. There are certain key points I look out for in art though.

Take these two for example. They're not what you would call "high quality" art pieces, but they do have their own charms though (innocence for left, comical for right). I might pay more gold for the one on the left just for the sake of effort.
User Image and User Image

These two is much higher quality than the previous examples, but what I like most about these is the overall balance (layout). It simply looks natural to me (even though "natural" could be interpreted in many ways). I would pay more gold for the one on top simply because of attention to details, and the style being pretty unique to what we normally get, but that doesn't mean I prefer this style over the other though.
User Image
User Image

Artists have their own styles/kachinks, and if they can expand said style beyond just cookie-cutters (as in, all of your chibis aren't just a color swap of each other, rather than legit change in poses/face-expression/etc), the more I am impressed/interested with them as artists, even if it's western/realism/etc.
User Image
User Image

If I'm buying art, there's one thing I look for from artists. It's their ability to bring the avatar/characters/etc into life. See, this is cool for what little its worth.
User Image

Ahaha, I want to say that I'm not picky about what I get, but I end up getting pretty picky about it in the end anyway. All in all though, if the artist can draw what I like, the more likely I will buy from them. The question is, though, how much? I don't know since I haven't bought art for so long. sweatdrop

Perfect Saint

One time my sig changes is if someone offers me free art. That's pretty few and far between. lol

I miss having my own personal artist. emo

Enduring Hero

I haven't bought art in ages. Mostly due to not knowing what to get art of. Too many OCs and that stuff. Granted, there's also the factor of what kinda stuff I want to get art of.
Hmm to break it down of what I look for regarding art
- Can draw anime or semi-realism
- Clean lineart / colours
- Prefer digital over traditional, nothing against trad art, just a preference
- Not chibis, I like chibis but I usually don't want chibi art if i'm buying
- Can draw guys
- Same level or better than what I can draw

Hmm. Where to buy from.... Generally i'd probably go to threads or freebie threads. I don't have very much luck unfortunately.
For the most part if it's freebies, i'm not going to complain if the artist doesn't hit all the bullets on the list.

Tipsy Genius

Do you buy art on gaia?
I did; I don't at the moment because I've saving up for a big thing, but I'll probably go back to purchasing art if I get it.

How much do you usually spend on art?
At the time, before the gold cap was raised, I paid about 100 mil a piece and preferred to autobuy in auction threads. Now I would expect to spend between 20 and 100 billion depending on the style and the skill.

What style do you prefer to buy?
I like realism, just not photorealism. I prefer art styles that are unique and easily recognizable as specific to a certain artist (which is why I love the artists currently employed by Gaia--when you can tell who did which item, it's usually a good sign). I have a strong preference for fully colored/shaded art but I like sketches too.

Where do you buy from?
Auctions, but I might eventually make a request thread.

Girl-Crazy Vampire

5,850 Points
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • First step to fame 200
  • Trader 100
Well. before the economy became the mess that is today id used to buy lots of arts. id tend to only buy anime or chibi artstyle (as i dont do scary or bloody kind of avis. )

Right now, wenever is posible. id try to buy some form of art once in an while. if prices gets too high id tend to check art freebies to join in some talk with the artists or other people sweatdrop

Id think id im buying less and less arts thanks to this economy though haha.

English isn my frist lenguage so have bit of mercy.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff