Welcome to Gaia! ::

Distinct Explorer

We all know Gaia likes its contests and getting the community involved in them. We have item design contests every other month, with CrosStitch, where talented (and not-so-talented) Gaians can get to design their own items to a certain staff-picked theme, we have monthly update contests hosted by DJ Helsing, forum contests with prizes hosted by Siskytayam like the ongoing Gaia Awards contest, and all sorts of other crazy contests.

What if the power was in your hands to come up with a creative contest for Gaia? (That's right! A "create a contest" contest! XD) I'd imagine that the many contest ideas would be handled similar to the Gaia Awards contest, where users would submit their ideas to gaia, and then after Gaia staff whittles down the entries, the community would vote on which thought-up contest would take priority, for each different category, and the winner would be what gaia turned into an official contest.

There's so many features that make up Gaia; which one would you focus your contest around, in hopes of getting it more recognition by the Gaia community? An NPC "About Me" post contest, for the people who want to see neglected NPC's given more backstory? An art contest, using existing Gaia NPC's, to wind up in a future "community designed" Chance Item? World Map town expansion contest, that required users to design art or a character for new town to be added to the map?

Do you think there should also be more hosted contests for their offsite (FB) or app games, geared toward the Gaia Community, for game-related prized on-site, prized transferred to the games (user created are or bonuses to a certain user), or just to get more attention to the game?

Savage Sweetheart

13,900 Points
  • Clambake 200
  • Sausage Fest 200
  • Nudist Colony 200
I prefer the on-site contests even though I equate them to winning the lottery on a much smaller scale.

Edit - A user designed item would be cool now that I think about it. An entire RIG or EI based on our collective feedback, the more random the better.

Edit again - A RIG based off Carl. The ideas, and art come from us.
Sorry, crazy talk. whee
I like that user generated RIG idea, but instead of costing gaia cash (like the RIGs we're used to) it should cost gaia gold since its user created material.

I think it's also a nice little money sink.

People will want these new items you can only get for gold so they'll buy into them & take their chances, and they're more accessible because they cost gold instead of gaia cash. There will be entirely new user generated items or a chance to win already in store gold shop items. So there's still a risk/reward basis to it.

These items will never be extremely expensive (millions) thanks to their availability. People can turn a profit by winning one of the rarer items, people will still pay a premium to get the item they want now instead of trying their luck with the RIG.

So you have the system eating the gold paid to purchase the gold shop rig.
You've got users transferring wealth when they pay a premium price just to buy the item they want. Although nothing major but with a steady supply (quarterly maybe?) you get an effective money sink that people should be satisfied about.

Distinct Explorer

Amadeus Foxtrot Heimlich
I like that user generated RIG idea, but instead of costing gaia cash (like the RIGs we're used to) it should cost gaia gold since its user created material.

People will want these new items you can only get for gold so they'll buy into them & take their chances, and they're more accessible because they cost gold instead of gaia cash. There will be entirely new user generated items or a chance to win already in store gold shop items. So there's still a risk/reward basis to it.

These items will never be extremely expensive (millions) thanks to their availability. People can turn a profit by winning one of the rarer items, people will still pay a premium to get the item they want now instead of trying their luck with the RIG.

You've got users transferring wealth when they pay a premium price just to buy the item they want. Although nothing major but with a steady supply (quarterly maybe?) you get an effective money sink that people should be satisfied about.
It should cost gold and be in Barton Boutique, like the Refurbished Sheet. Or, if we're talking about high tiered priced, then maybe in Dernier*Cri? I'm not sure. We'd want the user-designed rig to be a gold sink, and be at premium prices, so dernier*Cri sounds like the ideal place for something of that nature, but the items there don't get switched out, anymore, and I'd hate to see Gaia's second attempt at a gold shop rig fall flat from being in the stores too long, like the Refurbished Sheet, and not being able to rotate out, like the Cash Shop rigs.
But I think we're getting ahead of ourselves a bit. First we need to worry about whether Gaia would actually be open to a user-design a rig & rig item contest, and if something like that would win out in the nomination category XD
Fractale
Amadeus Foxtrot Heimlich

It should cost gold and be in Barton Boutique, like the Refurbished Sheet. Or, if we're talking about high tiered priced, then maybe in Dernier*Cri? I'm not sure. We'd want the user-designed rig to be a gold sink, and be at premium prices, so dernier*Cri sounds like the ideal place for something of that nature, but the items there don't get switched out, anymore, and I'd hate to see Gaia's second attempt at a gold shop rig fall flat from being in the stores too long, like the Refurbished Sheet, and not being able to rotate out, like the Cash Shop rigs.
But I think we're getting ahead of ourselves a bit. First we need to worry about whether Gaia would actually be open to a user-design a rig & rig item contest, and if something like that would win out in the nomination category XD

It should go into cross stitch since its user created.
And it should be cheaper than what rigs from the cash shop cost on the market so singles should be significantly below 90k-100k.

When i said premium price i meant as in some of the more complex user created items to be "rarer" than others which would make them cost more resold on the market providing a chance for users without much gold to potentially turn a profit.

It should rotate out & new ones be put in to replace them but at a much different rate compared to the gaia cash shop RIGs. So like every quarter a new user created RIG goes into the gold shop but it's only around for a month or so much like the RIGs in the cash shop. They take longer to release and leave even sooner so the new items from it will always be valuable and you don't need to worry about the price of the individual chance of them going up since its only available from the gold shop at a constant price of 30k or something.

It has to be cheaper than cash shop rigs so i'm guessing like a 30k-50k price range.

So let's say a single of the user generate rig costs 30k, you have a chance to win the new user generated items and items already in the gold shop. So you have the upside where you could get something worth more money than you spent and you have the downside where you get something worth less than you spent.

An example being John buy's the user created RIG for 30k, John gets Purple Saddle Boy Shoes worth only 1200g when sold back to the store. This is the system eating 28800g.

Another example Jane buy's the user created RIG for 30k, Jane gets (insert name of a new user created item here) this is worth 60k on the marketplace. The system eats 30000g from the sale of the RIG and 1200g more from the tax of the sale.
Another user brought Jane's item and wealth was transferred.

Distinct Explorer

Tragic l2abbit
I prefer the on-site contests even though I equate them to winning the lottery on a much smaller scale.

Edit - A user designed item would be cool now that I think about it. An entire RIG or EI based on our collective feedback, the more random the better.

Sorry, crazy talk. whee
i can't see myself liking a rig based off Carl, sorry. He's not my favorite character, and what would the items in the rig even be? Just horns, elk body mods and foressty-backgrounds?

Savage Sweetheart

13,900 Points
  • Clambake 200
  • Sausage Fest 200
  • Nudist Colony 200
Fractale
Tragic l2abbit

Sorry, crazy talk. whee
i can't see myself liking a rig based off Carl, sorry. He's not my favorite character, and what would the items in the rig even be? Just horns, elk body mods and foressty-backgrounds?

Oh, no.. I didn't mean Carl related items. I was thinking along the lines of a special user-suggested RIG in which the ideas for the items come from the users. Just totally wacky, off-the-wall type stuff - that's why I said Carl cause he could hijack a RIG and implement our ideas instead cause he's crazy like that. wink

Like I said though.. my crazy talk is crazy.

Tiny Alchemist

Fish design contest? We haven't gotten an aquarium update in a while and we could use some new fish. I'd love to see what the users would come up with.

Scholarly Storyteller

57,450 Points
  • Partygoer 500
  • Battle: Level 10 250
  • Alchemy Level 10 100
i'd suggest something simple.

A gaia Fan Art contest...........of Gino x Meili.

nah just a general fan art contest of Gaia's NPCs although i'd personally prefer there be a *special* category for just Meilio biggrin

i want to see more art of the NPCs is all

/selfish

Demonic Lunatic

15,325 Points
  • Demonic Associate 100
  • Full closet 200
  • Invisibility 100
My contest would be the "Fix This Fuggin' Place Up" contest, where everyone is a winner and all their submissions are used.

So that we get stuff fixed instead of new stuff added.

Quaint Bunny

59,925 Points
  • Bunny Hoarder 150
  • Haunted Haute Couture: Cute 200
  • Stellar Lieutenant 200
I think I would have a contest where one need to create a new emote (or set of emoticons). Why emotes? Because they can be adapted to be used in almost every feature of the site biggrin I would even have a subcategory for bunny-themed ones 4laugh

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff