Welcome to Gaia! ::

TriskDaemon
Melony Love
I'm not a regular on any board, but just a lurker, and I have to agree. If you're so offended by the discussion that goes on in this board and feel that most of the people who now post here aren't intellectually stimulating why not make a guild forum?
Don't think that didn't cross my mind. It would certainly be easier than campaigning for a subforum. But I think that it will be better, ultimately, if there's a subforum, because a GGN forum is doomed to be exclusive and elitist, whereas the subforum gets new people in because it's visible. I want that moderated public plot discussion area, like we had back in the days before GCD.

I fail to see how the two differ. A subforum, and your reasons for wanting one especially, strikes me as elitiest.

I too find some of these repeat and silly threads ("NPC is hot!!" wink tiring, but I go past them. I tend to read threads that are well established and interesting. Why would you need a forum of your own in order to talk to those who are as serious as you are? simply ignore those threads or glaze over the posts that don't appeal to you.
Because the sheer volume of threads makes life hard for those serious threads. If there's a pause in the discussion, the thread zooms off the page, and you have to break in with some bumps to re-attract people to the discussion... That, and it would serve to give the smaller threads a chance to be read. Two slower forums is better than one large fast one. I also don't see what's so wrong about making a forum that has standards for discussion. Elitism is one thing, but having standards set is perfectly acceptable, and right now we have next to none.
Final thought before I throw in my towel; is it not elitism to think that your standards of discussion are the standards to be used to seperate the types of discussion? In my mind I can see other topics that can used to create a subforum, such as one for Plot Events. Though in that subforum people who only post a line or so are free to post.

But, I think we're at a point where we will probably only agree that we disagree. Good luck with your campaign then.
Melony Love
Final thought before I throw in my towel; is it not elitism to think that your standards of discussion are the standards to be used to seperate the types of discussion? In my mind I can see other topics that can used to create a subforum, such as one for Plot Events. Though in that subforum people who only post a line or so are free to post.

But, I think we're at a point where we will probably only agree that we disagree. Good luck with your campaign then.
I thought about the plot subforum... Actually, way before I thought about this. That would still be an improvement over the current system, I think. And I'm only using my standards of discussion as a reference in my plan because I have no other standards available to me. Still, you make a good point, that any forum that is formed to be more in-depth and more heavily moderated will tend towards elitism. Not sure what to do about that besides hope, really.

Anyway, thanks for the discussion! I appreciate it.
TriskDaemon
Well, in response to Sushi's point, I wasn't thinking of something quite as strictly modded as the ED... Just a forum where you'd have to put some demonstrable effort into the thread, rather than a one or two-line post. That would solve a lot of the overcrowding we have now.
that seems to be slightly better than i thought. 1 for the short posts that can be read quickly and need quick and easy respones and one for longer peices where the replies can be more indepth and where people who have put effort into their works threads wont just fall off the page without the owner having to bump it before its read. that makes me lean slightly more towards your idea the only thing that makes me think twice is i hate eliteism and that could become a problem if the ecd became a reality.

Ghostly Prophet

16,875 Points
  • The Plague of Kokeshi 100
  • Jack-pot 100
  • Destroyer of Cuteness 150
It's a good idea but I don't feel it would work out brilliantly. There isn't anything really stopping them from posting the simple 3 worded posts in there; also going into so much detail doesn't suit everybody. Don't get me wrong, I like the idea but im more in between in detail. Going into depth about weight/height/distances etc doesn't fully appeal but either does such simple posts at the moment. So I guess would it be suitable for both?
PriestessCyla
It's a good idea but I don't feel it would work out brilliantly. There isn't anything really stopping them from posting the simple 3 worded posts in there; also going into so much detail doesn't suit everybody. Don't get me wrong, I like the idea but im more in between in detail. Going into depth about weight/height/distances etc doesn't fully appeal but either does such simple posts at the moment. So I guess would it be suitable for both?
The rules of the forum would be similar to ED in that respect - if you post a thoughtless post, then it would be moved. I guess if you're in between on detail you'd just have to choose which forum you'd want to put the topic in. I think as long as a topic generates active and thoughtful discussion, it would be suitable for ECD, regardless of the level of detail.

The Mighty Sushi Database
that seems to be slightly better than i thought. 1 for the short posts that can be read quickly and need quick and easy respones and one for longer peices where the replies can be more indepth and where people who have put effort into their works threads wont just fall off the page without the owner having to bump it before its read. that makes me lean slightly more towards your idea the only thing that makes me think twice is i hate eliteism and that could become a problem if the ecd became a reality.

Like I said, elitism is inevitable, to some degree. However, if the forum is kept at a nice balance between the flow of GCD and the strict moderation of ED, the result should end up being more like a community-centered GD, something more centered on discussion than the GCD currently is, but less insistent on "intelligence" in the posts. I don't want an elitist subforum either.
TriskDaemon
PriestessCyla
The rules of the forum would be similar to ED in that respect - if you post a thoughtless post, then it would be moved. I guess if you're in between on detail you'd just have to choose which forum you'd want to put the topic in. I think as long as a topic generates active and thoughtful discussion, it would be suitable for ECD, regardless of the level of detail.

The Mighty Sushi Database

Like I said, elitism is inevitable, to some degree. However, if the forum is kept at a nice balance between the flow of GCD and the strict moderation of ED, the result should end up being more like a community-centered GD, something more centered on discussion than the GCD currently is, but less insistent on "intelligence" in the posts. I don't want an elitist subforum either.
ahh ok thanks for answering that for me. i'm still undecided about it though.
This would be a great idea! I'm tired of the repeat threads, the people declaring the plot has been updated three days later, etc. It would be elitist, but I'd perfer that over tons of n00bs (not that GCD is n00b-ridden, I'm just more used to the stricter boards). It would also spawn more detailed answers to theories. I rarely see people trying to go into a debate over a theory...most posts I see are 'That's a good theory!' or 'That's a dumb theory!'. We would have a few problems with people clicking the ECD link instead of the Avatar Talk link, but that shouldn't be much of a problem.
I think I made myself a prime supporter with one of my latest posts, Trisk. x3; I'll debate with everyone soon enough, though I currently need to spend time with a certain someone. ninja heart
I posted earlier but didn't reply eanymore.. sorry. sweatdrop When Leno is on ya gotta watch him...

I'm sticking with this thread. *subscribes*
DiscordantNote
This would be a great idea! I'm tired of the repeat threads, the people declaring the plot has been updated three days later, etc. It would be elitist, but I'd perfer that over tons of n00bs (not that GCD is n00b-ridden, I'm just more used to the stricter boards). It would also spawn more detailed answers to theories. I rarely see people trying to go into a debate over a theory...most posts I see are 'That's a good theory!' or 'That's a dumb theory!'. We would have a few problems with people clicking the ECD link instead of the Avatar Talk link, but that shouldn't be much of a problem.
Thanks! I hadn't thought about the avatar talk thing... >_<

Airez
I think I made myself a prime supporter with one of my latest posts, Trisk. x3; I'll debate with everyone soon enough, though I currently need to spend time with a certain someone. ninja heart

<innuendo="shameless" type="blatant">You have fun with that certain someone, Airez. *grins*</innuendo>
*rescues topic from 2nd page*
Zatari
whee
Hello there. biggrin

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items