Welcome to Gaia! ::

@Global: Doing well, thanks. Was caught up in an inventory tally. Holy s**t, I'm worth 1002k.

@Chocho: Thanks!

@Nyome: Well, hopefully this will provide more breathing room for misc. threads in the GCD by shuffling a large percentage of the NPC-happy discussion into the ECD.
And more room for spammyful threads on the front page of GCD. sad No real place for discussions to hide in. I just wish they'd make a forum all for NPCs, and have Gaia community discussion actually have more community discussion. Oh well.

'Nother thing. What if ECD and GCD end up like how ED and GD are now? :/ Gaia has enough problems without more rivalry. x__x;
Nyome
And more room for spammyful threads on the front page of GCD. sad No real place for discussions to hide in. I just wish they'd make a forum all for NPCs, and have Gaia community discussion actually have more community discussion. Oh well.

'Nother thing. What if ECD and GCD end up like how ED and GD are now? :/ Gaia has enough problems without more rivalry. x__x;
You have to understand that the spam threads are intended to be there. This forum is for those plotspam threads, EDAED, and that's it. The fact that we want intelligent discussion is not what they planned on. Now, what's preventing you from making a thread on community issues in the ECD? No spam, no ridiculous amounts of threads... It could work. And the relationship between the two forums would hopefully turn out to be more of a "talk here, discuss here" thing. Same people, two forums.
Like a spam theory would be like: I think Gambino shot himself from the clock tower and he has a robot dude!!

._.
TriskDaemon
Nyome

You have to understand that the spam threads are intended to be there. This forum is for those plotspam threads, EDAED, and that's it. The fact that we want intelligent discussion is not what they planned on. Now, what's preventing you from making a thread on community issues in the ECD? No spam, no ridiculous amounts of threads... It could work. And the relationship between the two forums would hopefully turn out to be more of a "talk here, discuss here" thing. Same people, two forums.

I don't think spam threads are "intended" to be anywhere besides maybe Chatterbox. XD;

Actually, they planned more on GCD to be discussions about the Gaian community, since so many people needed a forum like that. People who wanted to rant about the R&C couldn't rant in R&C, cuz it wasn't a discussion forum, or they'd be kicked out, and they couldn't post in AD or ED or CB because it doesn't "belong". I was actually very surprised myself that they added on the NPCs. I thought it'd be fine, I mean.. NPCs follow the plot, and the plot is still pretty slow right now, so there's bound to be at least a few great discussions right? :/ I didn't expect it to get this crowded with NPC threads, and I know I'm not the only one disappointed with this turn of events. Still, it's what the users make of a forum. It's just messy with all these different subjects crowded into one forum, where one can easily eclipse the others.

And GCD certainly isn't JUST for those "plotspam threads" and EDAED. neutral There's the economy, inflation, items, Gaian users/manners, and there's TONS of other forums.

And who's to say there's no spam in ECD if it ever works? There's spam in ED right now. And as far as the getting along part goes, I hope for that as much as anyone else, but realistically speaking, it might end up like GD and ED. I keep referring to them because frankly, it's a good example of what could happen if this split like you suggested became reality.
Nyome
I don't think spam threads are "intended" to be anywhere besides maybe Chatterbox. XD;

Actually, they planned more on GCD to be discussions about the Gaian community, since so many people needed a forum like that. People who wanted to rant about the R&C couldn't rant in R&C, cuz it wasn't a discussion forum, or they'd be kicked out, and they couldn't post in AD or ED or CB because it doesn't "belong". I was actually very surprised myself that they added on the NPCs. I thought it'd be fine, I mean.. NPCs follow the plot, and the plot is still pretty slow right now, so there's bound to be at least a few great discussions right? :/ I didn't expect it to get this crowded with NPC threads, and I know I'm not the only one disappointed with this turn of events. Still, it's what the users make of a forum. It's just messy with all these different subjects crowded into one forum, where one can easily eclipse the others.

And GCD certainly isn't JUST for those "plotspam threads" and EDAED. neutral There's the economy, inflation, items, Gaian users/manners, and there's TONS of other forums.

And who's to say there's no spam in ECD if it ever works? There's spam in ED right now. And as far as the getting along part goes, I hope for that as much as anyone else, but realistically speaking, it might end up like GD and ED. I keep referring to them because frankly, it's a good example of what could happen if this split like you suggested became reality.
Okay, you got me. Pure spam threads are still chatterbox. But here, this forum is intended to be lax. When I refer to spam, I mean anything with little to no value as a thread in terms of information or entertainment.

I don't think that they made this forum with anything in mind more so than the NPC discussion. The admins are making the plot more of a part of the site with each event, and they have to see the need for a forum like this one. Look at the ratios of threads - for every community thread, how many NPC threads are there? It's not like the creation of this forum generated THAT much interest in the NPC plot.

As for spam in ECD, as things stand now, the moderators can't even move topics that fit spam, as I define it, because this forum is by design less moderated than normal. We need an orderly forum, somewhere that the moderators can move threads from for being inane and useless.

Familiar Dabbler

2,350 Points
  • Forum Dabbler 200
  • Signature Look 250
  • Hygienic 200
I think this might be very helpful on filtering "N00b" theorys from those that's worth while to read and contemplate. But, I'm afraid that having a "Extended" might make it part of the Extended Discussion forum later in the future, maybe another title might help. Sadly I can't think of any useful titles that covers or stands for what you are advocating, so I'll leave it up to you to decide. *shrugs*

(note: another good thing about this is that it might help debunk some silly theories that may seem impossible. For instance someone posted that Gambino was the sniper. sweatdrop )
TriskDaemon
Nyome

Okay, you got me. Pure spam threads are still chatterbox. But here, this forum is intended to be lax. When I refer to spam, I mean anything with little to no value as a thread in terms of information or entertainment.

I don't think that they made this forum with anything in mind more so than the NPC discussion. The admins are making the plot more of a part of the site with each event, and they have to see the need for a forum like this one. Look at the ratios of threads - for every community thread, how many NPC threads are there? It's not like the creation of this forum generated THAT much interest in the NPC plot.

As for spam in ECD, as things stand now, the moderators can't even move topics that fit spam, as I define it, because this forum is by design less moderated than normal. We need an orderly forum, somewhere that the moderators can move threads from for being inane and useless.

Yeah, I know what you meant. X3 but wording can be tricky sometimes. And well.. .GCD is strange in its own little way. If you've read Jakobo's journal about the GCD, it kinda goes in line with what he's saying.

Back when GCD was created, the plot hadn't started moving so fast yet. It started to right about the same time, but I do believe the forum was made first? I know from many months of lurking in Q&F and discussing this with many Gaians that there are certainly a huge number of people who clamoured for a forum where they could just discuss -gaia-. If they had NPC disucssion in mind, why would it be called Gaia Community Discussion? sweatdrop I mean, certainly NPCs could fit in, but they're so huge they could fill up a forum of their own. And of course the plot is fitting more with the events. *blinks* It'd have to, otherwise Gaia would be pretty boring. But the people on Gaia change too, and different problems arise, and so more people want to discuss these changes, but a good number are scared off by the number of NPC threads that eclipse any good discussion that might be going on. :/

That's the thing. There's just too many NPC threads for every community thread. Does that mean people don't WANT to discuss the community? No. Far from it. But think about the pure number of NPCs, then add in the theories, the fans, the antifans, all that stuff. When GCD first came out, I expected a huge wave of NPC threads. Sure, that's fine- let them get established. After a few official threads, things will settle down right? @__@; How wrong I was. I'm still disappointed in the huge lack of community discussions in this forum, but there's no easy solution for it without taking the NPCs out and into a forum of their own completely, which is still kind of useless.

Actually, as compared to a lot of other forums, GCD isn't too bad. If you've ever taken a look at Q&A or WTG, you'll see what I mean. The occassional misplaced thread here can just be reported, and a single helper can take care of it. The list of mods for GCD is pretty huge, though I honestly can't say I've seen many around, but then again mods are assigned to many forums. Dx Really though, GCD isn't that bad, and misplaced threads are moved pretty quick or die off fast.
Nyome
Yeah, I know what you meant. X3 but wording can be tricky sometimes. And well.. .GCD is strange in its own little way. If you've read Jakobo's journal about the GCD, it kinda goes in line with what he's saying.

Back when GCD was created, the plot hadn't started moving so fast yet. It started to right about the same time, but I do believe the forum was made first? I know from many months of lurking in Q&F and discussing this with many Gaians that there are certainly a huge number of people who clamoured for a forum where they could just discuss -gaia-. If they had NPC disucssion in mind, why would it be called Gaia Community Discussion? sweatdrop I mean, certainly NPCs could fit in, but they're so huge they could fill up a forum of their own. And of course the plot is fitting more with the events. *blinks* It'd have to, otherwise Gaia would be pretty boring. But the people on Gaia change too, and different problems arise, and so more people want to discuss these changes, but a good number are scared off by the number of NPC threads that eclipse any good discussion that might be going on. :/

That's the thing. There's just too many NPC threads for every community thread. Does that mean people don't WANT to discuss the community? No. Far from it. But think about the pure number of NPCs, then add in the theories, the fans, the antifans, all that stuff. When GCD first came out, I expected a huge wave of NPC threads. Sure, that's fine- let them get established. After a few official threads, things will settle down right? @__@; How wrong I was. I'm still disappointed in the huge lack of community discussions in this forum, but there's no easy solution for it without taking the NPCs out and into a forum of their own completely, which is still kind of useless.

Actually, as compared to a lot of other forums, GCD isn't too bad. If you've ever taken a look at Q&A or WTG, you'll see what I mean. The occassional misplaced thread here can just be reported, and a single helper can take care of it. The list of mods for GCD is pretty huge, though I honestly can't say I've seen many around, but then again mods are assigned to many forums. Dx Really though, GCD isn't that bad, and misplaced threads are moved pretty quick or die off fast.

Just so you know the post was read, I'll attempt a reply when coherent and not-half-asleep.

Wheezing Treasure-Seeker

7,850 Points
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Signature Look 250
I agree with the idea Trisk.

Just dont know or think that this idea will get put into action any time soon. sweatdrop Seems like Gaia is on the fritz lately.

But I heart the idea. Wouldnt have to look at the same annoying posts everytime im looking for some serious theory discussion.

crying Most of the time i have to wade through the, lets just say the more "colorful" threads.
Nyome

I was moving off the assumption that the admins were anticipating the plot, and therefore anticipated that the April Fools event would create a huge interest in the plot, and they created this forum with that in mind. Although there are a significant number of community discussion threads, I just can't see enough that I'd believe they created this more for those than for the NPC threads. Regardless, the point is moot. This forum IS for the NPC threads now, because they've taken over. You think that's a problem, and I do too, frankly.
That's one of the reasons I proposed this subforum. You refer to misplaced threads - the problem is that most of the problem threads in this forum are technically allowed. They refer to the plot, to the community, just in an oblique way, but I think of them as spam because they add absolutely nothing to the forum. Compared to WTG, we may not have a problem... But that's WTG, it's a completely different style of forum. Same with QF. We have a problem in GCD, and I think it's not too much to separate discussion to prevent the sizable problem we do have from growing into the type of thing that the other forums are plagued with.

I want a moderated forum, something with discussion guidelines. Plot discussions, community discussions, they could all go there, and there wouldn't be as many there, or as fast of posts, because the posts would be encouraged to be longer, to be more thought-out. Typing :whee: and posting makes the serious threads sink to the bottom, because emoticons take just a fraction of the time that it takes to write an actual post. If you want more space for community threads, the ECD probably would be the place... It's really not an idea well-suited for plot. GCD is perfect for the joking speculation that most plot analysis is composed of. However, the info threads, the deep analysis threads, the threads that are seriously discussing an issue... There's not as many of those, so the ECD would have, really, a lower ratio of plot:community threads.

@Washu: Thanks!
I support it.
IceStormV1
I support it.
Thanks! I was just thinking of slipping this back on the front page...
*supportage*

Would put this in sig, but there's no place for rent. xP

But still. I support this idea very very much. 3nodding
TriskDaemon
@Global: Doing well, thanks. Was caught up in an inventory tally. Holy s**t, I'm worth 1002k.

@Chocho: Thanks!

@Nyome: Well, hopefully this will provide more breathing room for misc. threads in the GCD by shuffling a large percentage of the NPC-happy discussion into the ECD.

O.O HOLY s**t!!! OMGAWD!!!1111one

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces