Welcome to Gaia! ::

i can't emulate style that isn't my own. unless i'm in a super poetic mood.
Astaire
Oxxidation-12
What are you TALKING about? I'm giving you publicity is what I'm doing! Only makes sense since everyone would be INSTINCTIVELY COMPELLED to do exactly the opposite of what I say.

Or, you know, they won't be and will just leave you and zero in this place. Either way's corking, far as I'm concerned.

Why would we need publicity if they're already in the thread to begin with?

Whatever. You're entitled to "publicize" however you want. But I'm watching you, mister. domokun

The only thing you can really do in terms of discipline is report me, and that won't really do anything but give other people a reason to scoff. And some of them are champion scoffers, I'll have you know. =P

This place is going to rot soon no matter what I do, so I don't have to dedicate myself to it with my usual fervor.
Currently I'm catching up with contemporaries. I'm just loving Frost's imagery.
`Kira
Wow. Hope this lives.

It will.
No matter the naysaying, this was just too good of an idea.
Once the fact that it's new dies down, the ball should start rolling quite nicely. It's just a matter of getting all the s**t talkers to do something other than talk s**t, for a change. I've found they don't do so well when technical skill is involved, thus the breakaway from the Minilurve. This is an actual place for poets. And in a poetry forum, at that. Who wou'd've ever seen that one coming, y'know?
zero the last decepticon
`Kira
Wow. Hope this lives.

It will.
Once the fact that it's new dies down, the ball should start rolling quite nicely. It's just a matter of getting all the s**t talkers to do something other than talk s**t, for a change. I've found they don't do so well when technical skill is involved, thus the breakaway from the Minilurve. This is an actual place for poets. And in a poetry forum, at that. Who wou'd've ever seen that one coming, y'know?
Oh, I'm pleased at that.

It's tiring to come to the Minilurve, and find everybody talking about everything except poetry and the forum itself.

CLICHÈ:

Sweet. It's like a battle of the threads.

Sorry. I do the commentary thing all the time. Hi. I don't want to interrupt your slam conversation (I've been wanting to see it for years, but my area is too suburban for it), but I know of another good poet. I don't think that at first glance he would be considered a poet, but one of his books really struck me. His name is David Levithan, he wrote Boy Meets boy, co-wrote Norah & Nick, and my personal favorite, The Realm of Possibility, which is twenty first person perspectives of teenagers who go tothe same high school. Some of them are stories, some of them are just writings, but it's all poetry. This is from the last chapter, from a character called Jed.

Here's what I know about the realm of possibility-
it is always expanding, it is never what you think
it is. Everything around us was once deemed
impossible. From the airplane overhead to
the phones in our pockets to the choir girl
putting her arm around the metalhead.
As hard as it is for us to see sometimes, we all exist
within the realm of possibility. Most of the limits
are of our own world's decising. And yet,
every day we each do so many things
that were once impossible to us.

There are hundreds of reasons for Daniel and me
to be impossible. History has not been kind
to two boys who live each other like we do.
But putting that aside. And not even considering
the fact that a hundred and fifty years ago,
his family was in a small town in Russia
and my family was in a similarly small town
in Ireland- I can't imagine they could have
imagined us here, together. Forgetting our gender,
ignoring all the strange roads that led to us
being in the same time and place, there is still
the simple impossibility of love. That all of our
contradicting securities and insecurities,
interests and disinterests, beliefs and doubts
could somehow translate into this common
uncommon affection should be as impossible
as walking to the moon. But instead, I love him.

It has been a year now. The most understandable
thing in the world should be how minutes lead to
hours, how hours lead to days, how days can make
a year. And yet, this neat progression can still be
surprising. A year seems too monumental for us
to have reached, and at the same time too small
to contain all the minutes and hours and days
we've had together. We sat each month down
like a marker beside the road, small aniversaries
with the feeling of always moving forward.

How do you commemorate a year?
A paper anniverssary, but we are
the words written down, not the paper.
If I could, I wouldgive him
a lime green couch, a cabin by a lake,
a fireworkds display, an orchard of butterflies,
and the certainty that I love him.

There is certainty in a ring.
The non-ending, the non-beginning.
The ongoingo.
The way it holds on to you
not because it's been fastened
or stretched or adhered.
It holds on
because it fits.

I think he writes beautifully and sometimes I can't even remember that he is the one writing, rather than the character. Just giving some input =]

NOUN. A VERY PREDICTABLE OR UNORIGINAL THING OR PERSON
OH MY COD, THAT KILLED IT FOR ME RIGHT THERE.

The colors: DX

CLICHÈ:

I thought it was pretty. To each his own, I guess.

4,900 Points
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Signature Look 250
  • Forum Sophomore 300
That sounds like prose with line breaks to me. The last couple of paragraphs skirt on the edge of poetry, but I really don't know if I want to take that leap.

I think it's good prose, but prose nonetheless.
`Kira
zero the last decepticon
`Kira
Wow. Hope this lives.

It will.
Oh, I'm pleased at that.

It's tiring to come to the Minilurve, and find everybody talking about everything except poetry and the forum itself.

Because poetry is incredibly boring to talk about. Consider this.

It's not the sort of thing that warrants discussion unless it's incredibly serious, nuts-and-bolts, "men standing in a bare warehouse with their sleeves rolled up and dog-ends smoldering under hardhats" craftsmanship stuff. And, so true, so sorry, nobody in the OP/L is good enough to warrant that sort of discussion. Especially zero.

What this is really about is being kowtowed to. zero was sick of people not talking about what HE wanted to talk about, so he made a topic where people would hopefully, eventually, follow his lines of conversation. A good idea on paper, but better people than him have tried it and the topics have died - sometimes tragically, I'll admit, a few of those were GOOD - while the Lurve lives on. Because it might be inane, and eye-bleedingly stupid at points, but it's TALK. And talk, buddy, never dies.
Well, let's wing it while it lasts.

And come to think of it, I'd rather talk of prose.

CLICHÈ:

I totally get that, but I don't think I was looking at the way it was broken up. It's quite interesting, he uses a different format for each of the chapters, which is each perspective. I think you'd have to read the entire thing to really get what I'm talking about. Prose or poetry, I think it's well worth reading.

`Kira
Well, let's wing it while it lasts.

And come to think of it, I'd rather talk of prose.

A-HA, EXACTLY!

Seriously, I was having this exact conversation with Kjralon earlier. Prose DOES tend to warrant discussion, because it contains story and story resonates on a much more common denominator. Poetry is, at its core, sheer language carved to razor point, without the burdens of story getting in its way. Admirable, sure - but not for everyone. Not for most people. Especially in a casual sense. People can write poetry casually, that's what I do, but don't expect them to dive into it with the fervor of a really good pulp paperback.
Oxxidation-12
`Kira
zero the last decepticon
`Kira
Wow. Hope this lives.

It will.
Oh, I'm pleased at that.

Because poetry is incredibly boring to talk about. Consider this.

It's not the sort of thing that warrants discussion unless it's incredibly serious, nuts-and-bolts, "men standing in a bare warehouse with their sleeves rolled up and dog-ends smoldering under hardhats" craftsmanship stuff. And, so true, so sorry, nobody in the OP/L is good enough to warrant that sort of discussion. Especially zero.

What this is really about is being kowtowed to. zero was sick of people not talking about what HE wanted to talk about, so he made a topic where people would hopefully, eventually, follow his lines of conversation. A good idea on paper, but better people than him have tried it and the topics have died - sometimes tragically, I'll admit, a few of those were GOOD - while the Lurve lives on. Because it might be inane, and eye-bleedingly stupid at points, but it's TALK. And talk, buddy, never dies.

Yeah, well you're clearly violating the rules of the TOS, and my well put, and respectful rules for this thread. I thought this might happen, because if you are one thing, you're predictable. I will not argue with you Oxxi. You have two choices here: Leave, or I will have you removed. I don't give a damn how poular it is, I'll report your a** faster than you can say my name. I already have means in place to do so, as well, so please...Leave my thread. I won't ask you again.

4,900 Points
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Signature Look 250
  • Forum Sophomore 300
Oxxidation-12
Because poetry is incredibly boring to talk about. How can you call yourself a poet if you find poetry boring? Besides, you seem to be missing the point about this thread entirely. It's not just about TALKING about poetry; it's about WRITING it and expanding your own personal style. Consider this.

It's not the sort of thing that warrants discussion unless it's incredibly serious, nuts-and-bolts, "men standing in a bare warehouse with their sleeves rolled up and dog-ends smoldering under hardhats" craftsmanship stuff. What about poetry that's inspired us? Various styles that we wish to aspire to? And, so true, so sorry, nobody in the OP/L is good enough to warrant that sort of discussion. What makes you think that we, as poets, cannot discuss poetry? Some of us have taken classes on the matter, and I believe that anyone at any level should be able to discuss the poetry that moves them, that inspires them, and that has shown them various aspects of what poetry SHOULD be. Especially zero. Personal vendetta much?

What this is really about is being kowtowed to. Well, that's what your post seems to be about: are we supposed to be bowing down to your SUPERIOR KNOWLEDGE of what this thread is about? Because you're completely off the mark. zero was sick of people not talking about what HE wanted to talk about, so he made a topic where people would hopefully, eventually, follow his lines of conversation. Uh, no. This topic is about the discussion of poetry as a COMMUNITY. Zero may be in charge of it, but the discussion can go wherever it wants to go, so long as its poetry-related. What made you such an expert? A good idea on paper, but better people than him have tried it and the topics have died - sometimes tragically, I'll admit, a few of those were GOOD - while the Lurve lives on. So? That doesn't mean that it still isn't a good idea, and for what it's worth, you should give it a chance. Because it might be inane, and eye-bleedingly stupid at points, but it's TALK. And talk, buddy, never dies. See, it's that whole "inane and eye-bleedingly stupid" that we want to get away from. Why are you insulting endeavors to get away from that, even if you think they are "ill-fated?"

You really have no clue what you're talking about.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff