Welcome to Gaia! ::

You wouldn't think a 28 year old would be a picky eater. He really hates anything outside the box and doesn't try new things often unless I push him. And I mean, I really have to push him.

Any ideas for a meat-lover? He LOVES ribs and steak. Chicken is okay. He also loves his beef. He absolutely hates vegetables. It's really hard to think of anything to eat with him. I want to start cooking but he just.. I don't know..seems so uninterested. And honestly, a budget is needed. We can't keep wasting money on Applebee's or Texas Roadhouse.

Rave Panties's Husband

Gaian

Start off with adding vegetables with a meaty flavour to your dishes (such as beans, nuts, butternut, maybe pumpkin), and see how he takes to it. If he's still refusing try spicing them up with the same spice that you used on the meat.

What we want is not for him to stop being concious of what he doesn't like, but for him to start opening up to new things.

Magical Shounen

6,850 Points
  • Magical Girl 50
  • Hero 100
  • Cat Fancier 100
[Soy]
Start off with adding vegetables with a meaty flavour to your dishes (such as beans, nuts, butternut, maybe pumpkin), and see how he takes to it. If he's still refusing try spicing them up with the same spice that you used on the meat.

What we want is not for him to stop being concious of what he doesn't like, but for him to start opening up to new things.
redface

Widow

Dedicated Regular

34,115 Points
  • Popular Thread 100
  • Brandisher 100
  • Megathread 100
Or if push comes to shove, buy healthy stuff, and let him make his own damn dinner, if he gets hungry he'll eat what you have razz
Try making dishes where vegetables are a component, rather than just meat/starch/veggie side. Especially really saucy dishes which can help to hide the vegetableness. So like make beef stroganoff with mushrooms. If you make a stew, add extra vegetables. Try making a shepard's pie with some veggies. Curry is what really won my boyfriend over to veggies.

I feel like a lot of people hate vegetables because they've only ever had them in plain boiled/steamed-mush ways and it's easy to dislike them that way. But by using vegetables in dishes with lots of flavor, you can kinda break that association.

Destructive Detective

19,200 Points
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Cat Fancier 100
Take him to an all-you-can-eat buffet and have him try little bits of various new things. I had a friend (of his age) who was a very picky eater, but with a little encouragement I got her to try all kinds of new foods, many of which she liked. Her mom was amazed and very pleased when I found a whole wheat bread she would eat.

Artiistic's Significant Otter

Angelic Demigod

19,025 Points
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Partygoer 500
  • Fantastic Fifteen 100
Loco moco? Beef stew?

Hilarious Swapper

picky eaters really means the person isn't willing to try different foods. I use to be picky, before I learned that you actually have to try some things several times before we actually know that we truly dislike it (unless it makes you want to vomit). Now I'll try a little bit of what I don't really like. I've been doing this since summer with veggies and I know like peppers, cabbage,kale, and I'm really trying to like beans, but I don't think I'll get that far

Beloved Muse

7,100 Points
  • Happy Birthday! 100
  • Married 100
  • Noble Shade 100
Roasting veggies is a pretty good way to get people who think they hate veg into eating them. As you roast the veg, you bring out the natural sugars in them and deepen the flavours, as well as give them interesting texture. My husband used to hate pretty much all veg that wasn't peas or carrots, and with a steady introduction of roasted broccoli with lemon and parmesan, roasted carrots with curry spices, roasted brussel sprouts with lemon and thyme, and roasted cabbage with dill seed and olive oil, he opened right up to eating veg and is now on the semi-vegetarian track with me. It's just a matter of looking for different ways to eat veg and introducing them as a thing with flavour and interest on their own, not just a mush on the side you have to eat.

Also, soups are a great way to get veg into things. You can build a lot of flavour in soups and the veg are a part of it, they don't just stand out on their own. If you've got an immersion blender, it's really easy to make pureed, velvety soups where everything blends instead of facing down a bowl of veggie chunks that might turn him off. Mileage may vary, though -- my husband loathes pureed soups, so it's not a sure thing.

I'd talk with him about your eating habits and your need to budget better, and work with him on introducing things into his diet rather than springing new food on him. People who are active participants in picking their own food tend to accept change better. Otherwise, it's easy to get pushed into the corner of being the mom-like figure who's making him eat his veggies. Involve him in the process. Push him to find things he's willing to try. Look for recipes together. Agree to try a new thing every week or every two weeks. And while you're in that process, keep adding veg to things he already likes -- add it to pasta sauce, work minced carrots or mushrooms into hamburgers, etc. But he's got to be on board with the change, or else it could turn into you buying and cooking food he refuses to eat and him going out to spend money on takeaway. So try to work together.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff