Welcome to Gaia! ::

Bloodthirsty Carnivore

27,550 Points
  • Hunter 50
  • Demonic Associate 100
  • Vicious Spirit 250
TheEdgeOfTheAbyss
xXFurygeistXx
I can't remember if it's kale or spinach that is high in iron. Maybe take a look into the iron rich veggie route? Or incorporate more red meat into your diet? You could always try *shudder* blood sausage. Lots of ways to get iron that ain't just from liver. Though, personally, I don't think any of them are gonna taste too much better. Foods overly high in iron never taste right to me.

Spinach is quite high in iron, but most of the dark, leafy greens are good sources. However vegetable sources of iron contain non-heme iron, which is is less efficiently absorbed than heme (in meat) iron. Vitamin C helps increase the uptake of non-heme iron though.

Oooh, turns out pork beats out beef in the iron department. Beans seem to have a lot of iron. Lot of cereals containing a good bit of iron, too...Watermelon, prunes, raisins, prune juice, figs, spinach...
Here's a good list of things to consider: Iron Rich Foods
*looking at list* Holy crap, no wonder my anemia cleared up back in highschool. My two favorite veggies are really high in iron! And so are my favorite spices. Well hot damn. Good to know.

Sugary Cat

Avocado.

I ate it once, it's like eating a jar of vaseline. Needless to say; I wont be eating it again. Unless it's in guacamole emotion_c8

Profitable Prophet

Most vegetables

Angelic Muse

15,675 Points
  • Angelic Alliance 100
  • Divine Donator 100
  • Forum Regular 100
MiameMiame
Avocado.

I ate it once, it's like eating a jar of vaseline. Needless to say; I wont be eating it again. Unless it's in guacamole emotion_c8

The way you describe it, it sounds like your avocado might have been a little too ripe. If you want to try again but not in guacamole, you can try eating it with some lemon-juice based vinaigrette and cut up apples. Or cut it in half, empty it, fill it back with the flesh mixed with tuna and some veggies, cover it with a little cheese and cook it in the oven until the cheese melts. smile

10,275 Points
  • Happy Birthday! 100
  • Member 100
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
I could never stomach things like liver. My mom loved to have homemade chopped liver, and liver and onions. She tried to get me to eat it for years, and then I guess she gave up. Same with cow tongue, which is apparently a big thing on that side of the family. I'm sorry I can't imagine eating something like the liver, because it was essentially filtering all of the animal's toxins in its system. It was concentrated there. With tongue, it's too close to what we have, I guess. (And, looks tough.) I'd much rather chow down on muscle... mrgreen I've been anemic before, and I think I might have tried iron supplements and other foods high in iron. Liver isn't the only one. Things like spinach, beans, lots of seafood, red meat, apricots, some cereals and grains, artichokes, etc. are loaded. I tend to try to find other alternatives that are just as good if I truly can't handle something I'm supposed to have. There usually are some. wink

I used to love mushrooms when I was little, now I hate them. I'm ok if they're chopped up finely in a sauce, and/or chopped and used in a casserole, though. I used to hate cheesecake, and then at some point I started to love it. After giving up pork and shellfish products when we decided to eat a more kosher diet (I was 14), I can't stand those. I can't stand the smell. If I taste it by accident, I immediately feel like I'm going to throw up.

I was told a while back that since I was hospitalized twice, they used an antibiotic both times that had the side effect of killing off all the flora and fauna in my gut. They told me it'll never be like it once was, but things like probiotic chewables or yogurt would help. I can't stand either. I'll try them for a while, and eventually get totally sick of them. stare But, for some reason, my system is bouncing back. I have to stay away from spicy foods because of what they did...

Liberal Conversationalist

10,025 Points
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Cat Fancier 100
  • Forum Regular 100
caalllup
Sebvonna
Okay, I'm anemic. Eating liver makes me feel way better when pills just don't seem to do the trick. But OMG is this crap nasty! I've tried soaking it in milk and cooking it in bacon grease but that taste is still there. Strongly. It may take a while to get used to this flavor. :grimace:

Discuss:
-Do you force yourself to eat food you hate just for the nutrients?
-If so, why and what foods?
-Are there any foods that you used to hate but got used to?

I love liver. Super simple recipe:
- 1 pack of Liver (pig or cow): cut into bite size pieces.
- 2 cloves of garlic
- A pinch of salt
- 1 cup chopped green onions
- 1 tablespoon of soy sauce.
- cooking oil

Heat the oil, add chopped garlic, like that cook until golden. Add half of the green onions. Throw in the liver, add the salt. Cook too the consistency that you like. Add the rest of the green onions. Add soy sauce. Cook for 1 more minute. Serve with whatever side you want. Jasmine rice is especially good.
I think I've tasted that once somewhere....xD where'd you learn that?

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff