Welcome to Gaia! ::

Ferocious Pumpkin

Okay, I'm anemic. Eating liver makes me feel way better when pills just don't seem to do the trick. But OMG is this crap nasty! I've tried soaking it in milk and cooking it in bacon grease but that taste is still there. Strongly. It may take a while to get used to this flavor. :grimace:

Discuss:
-Do you force yourself to eat food you hate just for the nutrients?
-If so, why and what foods?
-Are there any foods that you used to hate but got used to?
I never ate liver, even when I was anemic, as it was apparently bad for you due to all the waste products and toxins left in the liver.

I am not really picky with food. The few foods I hate can easily replaced by other things.
Wow, I give you credit, I've been trying to work up the courage to eat liver for a while now, and I just can't bare the thought.

Recently, after a lot of health issues, I've complete revamped my diet and now try to live by the rule eat to live...rather then live to eat. There are things I eat on a regular basis that I'm not crazy about like sardines...blah, but the health I feel in return is definitely worth it biggrin

Ferocious Pumpkin

Yintang
Wow, I give you credit, I've been trying to work up the courage to eat liver for a while now, and I just can't bare the thought.

Recently, after a lot of health issues, I've complete revamped my diet and now try to live by the rule eat to live...rather then live to eat. There are things I eat on a regular basis that I'm not crazy about like sardines...blah, but the health I feel in return is definitely worth it biggrin

Never tried sardines due to its sodium content. But if it's nutritious I'll give anything a shot. I'm just sick of empty carbs, high fructose corn syrup, and ridiculous amounts of sodium. I can always just drink more water though...

Ferocious Pumpkin

Pikkewyn
I never ate liver, even when I was anemic, as it was apparently bad for you due to all the waste products and toxins left in the liver.

I am not really picky with food. The few foods I hate can easily replaced by other things.

I've heard good and bad things about it. Most people agree that the diet of the cattle or chicken you get the liver from plays a big role in it. However, there are just as many toxins in the rest of the animal as well, so if you don't eat liver for that reason you might as well become vegan.

Besides, everything in moderation. I only eat this crap once a month and it's about the only meat I eat besides fish and occasionally pork or chicken.
Sebvonna
Yintang

Never tried sardines due to its sodium content. But if it's nutritious I'll give anything a shot. I'm just sick of empty carbs, high fructose corn syrup, and ridiculous amounts of sodium. I can always just drink more water though...

Maybe you're thinking of anchovies? The sardines I get are in extra virgin olive oil with no salt added. I'm pretty sure they are a low sodium food smile

Magical Bunny

Sebvonna
Okay, I'm anemic. Eating liver makes me feel way better when pills just don't seem to do the trick. But OMG is this crap nasty! I've tried soaking it in milk and cooking it in bacon grease but that taste is still there. Strongly. It may take a while to get used to this flavor. :grimace:

Discuss:
-Do you force yourself to eat food you hate just for the nutrients?
-If so, why and what foods?
-Are there any foods that you used to hate but got used to?

I love liver. Super simple recipe:
- 1 pack of Liver (pig or cow): cut into bite size pieces.
- 2 cloves of garlic
- A pinch of salt
- 1 cup chopped green onions
- 1 tablespoon of soy sauce.
- cooking oil

Heat the oil, add chopped garlic, like that cook until golden. Add half of the green onions. Throw in the liver, add the salt. Cook too the consistency that you like. Add the rest of the green onions. Add soy sauce. Cook for 1 more minute. Serve with whatever side you want. Jasmine rice is especially good.

Destructive Detective

19,200 Points
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Cat Fancier 100
have you tried kashering it?

http://www.star-k.org/kashrus/kk-beef-liver.htm

i love chopped chicken liver and found that making it this way removes much of the bloody taste that might be found objectionable. i didn't do it last time tho, and ugh, it was not good.

you might also try braunschweiger aka liverwurst. mmm!

Ferocious Pumpkin

Yintang
Sebvonna
Yintang

Maybe you're thinking of anchovies? The sardines I get are in extra virgin olive oil with no salt added. I'm pretty sure they are a low sodium food smile

Looked up the nutrition facts. In general google says a can of sardines has about 18% of thr daily value of sodium. I haven't actually looked at the store yet. I'm not crossing off sardines wink
Sebvonna
Yintang
Sebvonna
Yintang

Looked up the nutrition facts. In general google says a can of sardines has about 18% of thr daily value of sodium. I haven't actually looked at the store yet. I'm not crossing off sardines wink

Hm, interesting they certainly don't taste salty >_<; lol

Ferocious Pumpkin

Ratttking

i love chopped chicken liver and found that making it this way removes much of the bloody taste that might be found objectionable. i didn't do it last time tho, and ugh, it was not good.

Is there any difference in chicken liver and beef liver besides the animal it comes from? I've only tried beef liver so far. Also, why did it turn green in the fridge? emotion_0A0

Conservative Explorer

I know organ meat is very good for you, but I'd really rather not touch them. Brains, eyes, kidneys, hearts, lungs, liver, stomach, any of it unless I was out in the wild and that was the only option I had to avoid a vitamin deficiency. And then I'd try to gulp it down with heavy doses of water, berries, and anything else I could find.

When I was a kid, I loved corn on the cob and hated okra. Now, I love okra and I'm not too fond of corn on the cob. Tastes change as you age, it seems.

Destructive Detective

19,200 Points
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Cat Fancier 100
Sebvonna
Ratttking

Is there any difference in chicken liver and beef liver besides the animal it comes from? I've only tried beef liver so far. Also, why did it turn green in the fridge? emotion_0A0
chicken liver has a much milder flavor than beef liver, just like chicken meat is milder than beefsteak. i'm not sure, various sites say it's oxidation, whether from metals in the liver or the cookware.

Ferocious Pumpkin

Ratttking
Sebvonna
Ratttking

chicken liver has a much milder flavor than beef liver, just like chicken meat is milder than beefsteak. i'm not sure, various sites say it's oxidation, whether from metals in the liver or the cookware.

Thanks biggrin
Wasn't exactly for nutrients, but I tried so hard to stomach stawberry flavored kombucha juice.
nope
nope
so gross.
I was given super-strong antibiotics and I needed to help my digestive system return to normal, so I tried that. I like the mango one.

I don't think I could ever stomach liver.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff