Welcome to Gaia! ::

I made my first ever batch of crabapple jam a couple weeks ago, and it was actually easier than you'd think it would be! The only problem is that I boiled wayyy too many of them, and ended up with 39 jars of jam. WHOOPS. But it all turned out really, really good and set perfectly. I then made some hot pepper jelly, which was also pretty good.

Just want to say that with Christmas and stuff coming up, anyone curious should definitely give it a shot. I've gifted a lot already, and people really like it.
Jam lasts pretty long, so it shouldn't be much of a problem to have that much jam. Next, it can also be a nice (extra for a) birthday gift.
That sounds awesome~ There are a ton of crabapple trees up here but Ive never tried making anything out of them, though Ive always been curious about it. Last year I had waaaaaaaaay too many cucumbers from my garden and I tried making relish for the first time, it came out really well and I had it all winter.

No Sweetheart

31,400 Points
  • Fan Before It Was Cool 500
  • Waffles! 25
  • Partygoer 500
Congrats on your first jam, I just had my first canning of something as we just canned our jalapenos for the first time
Going to try my hand at pear butter tonight, will report back with results. dramallama
User Image

It actually turned out really good. 3nodding

Lavish Wench

12,450 Points
  • Object of Affection 150
  • Jolly Roger 50
  • Battle Hardened 150
I did some canning this summer but only managed to do dandelion jam and violet jelly.

Original Lunatic

This was the first year I've been able to have a garden and it's overflowing with cucumbers and peppers.

Last night I made six pints of pickles; three traditional dill, two spicy, and one which I have named "Is this a pickle or the surface of the frickin' sun?!?!" because I put a couple sliced habanero in the jar.

I have five pints of pickles already in the fridge, too! hahaha.

I'm going to make pepper jelly with all the peppers eventually. I have a few dozen habaneros on the plant, but they're still green, and I'm continually harvesting my "garden salsa" hot peppers and keeping them fresh in the fridge.
Albino Sea Monkey
This was the first year I've been able to have a garden and it's overflowing with cucumbers and peppers.

Last night I made six pints of pickles; three traditional dill, two spicy, and one which I have named "Is this a pickle or the surface of the frickin' sun?!?!" because I put a couple sliced habanero in the jar.

I have five pints of pickles already in the fridge, too! hahaha.

I'm going to make pepper jelly with all the peppers eventually. I have a few dozen habaneros on the plant, but they're still green, and I'm continually harvesting my "garden salsa" hot peppers and keeping them fresh in the fridge.

We've been using our chili peppers for salsa stuff, too. My mom made some pickled banana peppers last year, but there was this horrible aftertaste to them so that nobody even eats them now.

If you're going to make pepper jelly, I recommend not making a whole lot unless ypu're going to be gifting them. We have so many jars here and everyone is just sick of them.

Dapper Citizen

5,250 Points
  • Senpai's Notice 100
  • Clambake 200
  • Millionaire 200
Holy s**t, 39 jars of crabapple jam???

I've been making TONS of jam and preserves this summer. My dad took care of bread and butter pickles for us (he stuffed our cupboards with the jars, haha). This is the first year I've canned anything. I made strawberry jam, blueberry-lemon jam, raspberry jam, blackberry preserves (the first batch was horrendously sweet and thick, and the second time, I underestimated how insane those seeds were!), and peach preserves. I also just got myself some pears, and I (hope) to get more peaches, blackberries (I'm determined to figure out the damn seeds), and plums. I also have a little over 10 pounds of blueberries waiting for me to play with! I also need to stock up on more strawberries-- we have one more market around here that's selling them fresh, and I sold the majority of my batch of strawberry jam.

I want to make dilly beans before the season ends, too. I also have some Roma tomatoes waiting for me, too. I plan on taking advantage of the apple season, too. I've made some apple butter so far, but I need to make more, haha. I have people at work who've ordered it!

Trogger's Bride

Heroic Raider

I did apple butter once with my mom but that was all.

Lonely Capitalist

11,900 Points
  • Brandisher 100
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Mark Twain 100
I have been considering making a batch of pepper jam. It's something I have never tried before but there is a recipe for it in one of my books and it would be a great addition to roast duck

Lazy Krampus

12,300 Points
  • Friend of the Goat 100
  • Bloodsucking Bros 250
  • Happy 13th, Gaia Online! 50
Canning seems complicated.
It's something I'd still like to learn though.
Bob Dobbs

It's the easiest thing in the world, trust me. I made raspberry jam last night in only about an hour or so.

>mash berries in a bowl
>scrape them into a pot
>stir in a box of pectin
>cook until it's a rolling boil (doesn't stop bubbling when you stir it)
>stir in near-equal amount of sugar
>wait for it to boil again
>scoop into prepared jars (boiled lids, cleaned jars in dishwasher)
>screw lids on tight, boil in water for around 10 minutes or so on a canning rack
>pull them out, set on counter, wait for them to pop
>if they don't pop, re-boil and repeat

It's sooo easy. I worked from a recipe that's in the kitchen somewhere, but that's basically it.

Lazy Krampus

12,300 Points
  • Friend of the Goat 100
  • Bloodsucking Bros 250
  • Happy 13th, Gaia Online! 50
pacaplus
Bob Dobbs

It's the easiest thing in the world, trust me. I made raspberry jam last night in only about an hour or so.

>mash berries in a bowl
>scrape them into a pot
>stir in a box of pectin
>cook until it's a rolling boil (doesn't stop bubbling when you stir it)
>stir in near-equal amount of sugar
>wait for it to boil again
>scoop into prepared jars (boiled lids, cleaned jars in dishwasher)
>screw lids on tight, boil in water for around 10 minutes or so on a canning rack
>pull them out, set on counter, wait for them to pop
>if they don't pop, re-boil and repeat

It's sooo easy. I worked from a recipe that's in the kitchen somewhere, but that's basically it.

Well when i look at the canning kits they sell it's kind of intimidating.

Sooo much equipment. . . .

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces