Welcome to Gaia! ::

5,900 Points
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Full closet 200
  • Hygienic 200
Welcome to my humble story with its remarkably unoriginal title. This is a novel-length fanfic, so get ready for what I hope is a long and enjoyable read. Before going any further, let me give you the general setting of my story...

This fanfic is meant to take place some time after the series finale of Buffy the Vampire Slayer while ignoring the post-series comics entirely. In the Star Wars universe, the story takes place alongside the events of the MMO game, The Old Republic. To use the Star Wars calendar, this story takes place around 3643 BBY - 3641 BBY (BBY = Before the Battle of Yavin, aka the very first original Star Wars movie). For another reference, this story takes place just over 300 years after the original Knights of the Old Republic video game.

SPOILER WARNINGS: Assume spoilers for the every episode of Buffy the Vampire Slayer and Angel. Expect major spoilers for Knights of the Old Republic, and also some spoilers for various class stories in The Old Republic. Specifically, expect major spoilers for Chapter Three of both the Jedi Knight and Jedi Consular story arcs. I will post additional spoiler warnings at the beginning of each chapter.

I have posted this story elsewhere as I was working on it, and now I would like to post the results of that labor here a bit at a time to get some additional feedback as to how the story could possibly be improved. Of course, I also hope you enjoy the tale I have to tell.

Be warned: there may be some naughty words flying, mostly from the character of Faith. I am trying to keep her in character, but if any mods or admins feel that this is a problem, then I will asterisk out those words as soon as I am told that I have crossed a line. I did not see a rule against explicit language, but I would hate to neglect mentioning this at all.

As far as pairings go, there will be some original characters paired with other original characters, and maybe even with one of our heroines. Also, the primary pairing at the end of the day is Buffy/Faith, so if that bothers you, then my sincerest apologies.

If you have read this far, then I take it you are still interested. Here is the premise of the story going into chapter one...

Buffy and Faith were hanging out in the world they have come to know, love, and defend against evil. One night, while hanging out with their friends, they were immediately and inexplicably transported to the world of Denova in the Star Wars galaxy. This transition is explained in fuller detail late in the story; it is not a random event. When they arrive on Denova, they are caught in the middle of a fight between the Galactic Republic on one side and the Sith Empire on the other. The Slayers defend themselves and end up separated, with each one being subdued and taken in by either of the opposing factions. Now, one Slayer will train to be a Jedi and one will train to be a Sith.

If you are still interested, then I thank you for your commitment, and I hope that you will stay tuned for the first pair of chapters. I will post them in the following order: Buffy I, Faith I, Buffy II, Faith II, etc. I will try to post one pair of chapters every day or every other day or so.

Thank you again, and I hope you enjoy the story!

5,900 Points
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Full closet 200
  • Hygienic 200
Buffy I - Peace Is A Lie

“Peace is a lie. There is only passion.”

Buffy knew before she heard the rest of the Sith Code that it was completely false, but she humored Overseer Dalen regardless. The dark-haired, not-quite-middle-aged human man did hold her life in his hands.

“Through passion, I gain strength. Through strength, I gain power. Through power, I gain victory. Through victory, my chains are broken. The Force shall set me free.”

Buffy pondered the words and decided that there was some truth to them, particularly the last line. She hadn’t been in this universe or dimension or whatever for very long, but it was evident that she was sensitive to this ‘Force,’ whatever it was. Supposedly, if she could control it, she could be like a Slayer and a witch combined.

“Now then, Acolyte Summers,” Overseer Dalen said, “tell me what you believe the Code of the Sith is meant to teach us.”

Buffy was the only student assigned to Dalen at the moment, which seemed odd, given that he seemed to be held in low esteem at the Sith Academy on Korriban. She would have thought that the more powerful Sith Lords would get to pick and choose their students, but it seemed that the truth was that only the best could teach so many. Earning powerful students seemed to be a privilege for the Overseers, so either Buffy wasn’t nearly as good as she thought she was, or else Dalen had some sort of game in mind with his choice to train Buffy when no one else would. The Sith were all about power plays.

“Well,” Buffy mused, “conflict is the norm, I’ll give you that. You focus on the conflict for long enough, it becomes second nature to you. You let your passion feed your momentum into strength, then into power, and then into victory. And when you beat the other guy, you win.”

“On a small scale, you may be right, Summers,” Dalen said. “But the Code is more than just advice for how to win a petty brawl. You are correct that conflict is the status quo, and conflict is fueled by passion. As Sith, we do not hide or run from this truth: we embrace it. We realize that through conflict – through passion – we gain freedom over all things, be they people or institutions or even death itself. The Emperor is a testament to that.”

“And this is all meant to be done alone?” Buffy asked. “From what I can tell, the Sith are pretty lonely creatures. Power and freedom for one comes at the expense of everyone else, right? If that’s true, then why are you even passing on your knowledge to others?”

“An astute observation,” Dalen said approvingly. “You show remarkable insight for one of such low station, Summers. The Sith value the individual over the group, this is true. The Jedi would have you believe that empowering the weak strengthens the whole, but in truth it only serves to drag down the truly strong for the sake of the unworthy. As for why we teach others the ways of the Dark Side: We understand that the Emperor is truly a unique individual. He embodies the Sith, and we are all instruments of His will. To ensure that only the strongest, most capable of individuals endure to serve the Empire, we run you all through the gauntlet here on Korriban.”

Buffy wasn’t buying it. “So, the Sith never have any actual allies, then?”

“Perhaps, Summers, but only in a certain sense. The Sith seek power wherever we find it. Allies can prove valuable sources of power, but they can also turn on you. This holds true for mentors and students. One of the deepest traditions of the Sith is that of the student killing the Master and taking his place. It ensures that only the strong survive to pass on that very strength.”

“So, let me get this straight,” Buffy said. “An ally is only as useful as I can keep him or her under control or until they aren’t useful anymore, and then they should be discarded, right?” The idea was both stupid and repugnant to the Slayer-turned-acolyte.

“Exactly. Take the Chiss Ascendancy for example. When the Empire came into their space, they recognized our superiority and offered an alliance in exchange for autonomy. Now, to be frank, the idea of alien allies is antithetical to Sith ideals, but so is turning away a source of power. The Chiss are a cunning people with a culture that has primed them for military service, and they recognize the merits of the individual. Subjugating them without need would cost the Empire time and resources, while an alliance gains us both soldiers and legitimacy among other non-human civilizations. The latter is something the Empire desperately needs.”

Now that sounded interesting. “You’re saying that aliens should be treated equally?” Buffy tried to make herself sound surprised and repulsed at the notion of equality.

Dalen smirked. “It is one of several radical positions that has earned me such low esteem among my fellows. I share that in common with you, Summers. You were found on Denova with no knowledge of the Empire, the Republic, the Jedi, or anything resembling knowledge of galactic civilization. Most Sith saw you as weak, but I see your potential to be molded into something truly strong and deadly.”

Buffy snorted. “In other words, I’m a tool for you to gain power, at least until I’ve outlived my usefulness.”

Dalen smiled, and Buffy felt her spine crawl at that look. “Exactly. And to prove your usefulness, we come now to your first trial here on Korriban. You’ve spent time in the archives, and you’ve listened to my lectures, but now you must prove yourself in combat. The Tomb of Ajunta Pall has been overrun by k’lor slugs, and their main nest is in the Tomb’s armory. Make your way to the armory, destroy the infestation, and return with a blade befitting a warrior of your power. Your time with a training blade has run its course. Do you have any questions before I send you out there, Acolyte Summers?”

Buffy stood up from her cross-legged position and stretched her arms and legs. “Time limit?”

“None,” Dalen replied crisply. “But if you return without that war blade, then your time is over. Understood?”

“Perfectly,” Buffy said through gritted teeth. “Just point me in the direction of the sluggy goodness.”

~ ~ ~ ~ ~

Buffy wiped the sweat from her forehead with a bloody hand after clearing the hall of the k’lor slugs. “All right, then. Take care of a few slugs. Sure, no problem.” Buffy had been expecting bugs that she could just step on if she had to. Monsters taller than her were not what she had in mind. Hell, their mouths were big enough to swallow her whole.

Her training blade was bloody and well-used, but showed no signs of breaking. It was made out of something called cortosis, which supposedly could withstand laser blasts. A few of the mature slugs spit slime, and Buffy had managed to move the blade to catch the slime before it hit her.

That was something else she had not been expecting: The Force wasn’t just something she had read about now. She could feel it coursing through and around her and everything she saw. It was like the universe was made of invisible stuff that needed just the right nudge to move in the way she wanted. She had already picked up on how to detect incoming attacks a second before they hit, and now she was learning how to enhance her own strength and reflexes.

Something told her that the armory was just around the next torch-lit corner. Was it the Force? Whatever it was, a long set of stairs led up to it, and Buffy could tell without knowing how that there were five fully mature k’lor slugs in the room protecting dozens of eggs.

Without thinking, Buffy jumped. She felt the Force carry her through the air over the stairwell to bring her training sword straight down through the skull of one of the slugs. She felt hot blood stain her body, and it pissed her off.

A tiny little voice in the back of her mind said, ‘Peace is a lie. There is only passion.’

In the heat of combat, Buffy felt the truth of the Sith Code. “Through passion,” she said, slicing through another slug’s neck, “I gain strength.”

She leaped onto the back of a third slug. “Through strength…” Her blade sank into the creature’s spine, paralyzing it, “I gain power.”

Buffy felt it now. The power in this place wasn’t just around her, it was inside her. “Through power,” she growled as she thrust out an arm at another slug, crushing it against the wall, “I gain victory.”

The last adult slug moved forward to devour her. “Through victory,” Buffy yelled as she thrust her blade into the k’lor slug’s mouth, penetrating its brain, “my chains are broken.”

Buffy let go of her training blade and felt for the strongest source of power in the room. Without thinking, she reached out a hand and summoned a wicked-looking serrated war-blade to her, grasping it by the hilt.

Lifting up her sword into the air, she brought it down into the ground and sent a shockwave through the room, breaking all the eggs and killing the k’lor slugs inside.

“The Force shall set me free.”

Buffy felt as if she was floating on air. The power she felt, that she had just used, was unlike anything she’d ever felt before. Was this what being Willow felt like?

The elation of victory powered Buffy’s battered body through the tomb and back out onto the sands to the Academy. The sky told her that she’d been out for a full day, at least. She didn’t feel tired at all. “Through victory, my chains are broken,” she said again.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~

As she passed through the dark corridors of the Sith Academy, Buffy felt eyes on her. Other students, and even some instructors, could not help but look at the walking body covered from head to toe in purple blood. Buffy could sense that she was being assessed as a potential future adversary. Remembering that she stood in a hall filled with rivals, Buffy made sure to stride purposefully and carry herself with her head held high. She might be new to the Force, but she was no stranger to looking strong in the face of adversity.

Winding her way through the passages, Buffy found herself at Overseer Dalen’s study. The elation from her victory over the slugs was fading, and now she was fully aware of the stench of blood and innards on her body. And then the memory of the bloodlust as she killed the slugs returned, and Buffy felt even dirtier. She reassured herself that she felt good killing vamps and demons all the time, and these were just other monsters.

But a part of her didn’t want to admit that the Sith were right. The idea of being friendless and alone in a mad rush for power was just so alien. Enjoying that, however indirectly, seemed wrong to her.

Still, Buffy was stuck here, so she knocked on Dalen’s door. It swung open seemingly on its own, but Buffy knew that the Overseer had used the Force to open it.

She walked in and plopped the bloody war-blade on Dalen’s desk, dirtying many a datapad and paper document in the process.

Dalen did not look up. “Well done, Summers. Go and rid the stink from yourself and then return to me. Then we will see to the proper care of your new blade. Go now.”

Buffy didn’t like the cool dismissal in his tone, but Dalen was a strange Sith. He wasn’t particularly cruel or malicious like so many other Sith that Buffy had seen, but he did have exacting standards and a low tolerance for disobedience. Once, after when she'd been new and out of her depth, Buffy had her voice robbed from her while restrained in a chair as Dalen lectured her about her mistake. He was powerful for someone who was only an Overseer. From what Buffy understood, he could be a minor Lord if he was a more proper Sith.

Not wanting to incur Dalen’s wrath, Buffy simply nodded and took her blade with her. She didn’t want it out of her sight. As she turned around, her thoughts traveled back to the alien world she’d been ‘found’ on. The Sith had taken her as a prisoner on Denova during a battle with the Republic, and for all the time she’d been here on Korriban, Buffy hadn’t forgotten the most important question that had to be answered.

What had happened to Faith?

5,900 Points
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Full closet 200
  • Hygienic 200
Faith I - There Is No Emotion

“There is no emotion, there is peace.”

Faith knew before she heard the rest of the Jedi Code that it was completely false, but she humored Master Ralto regardless. The blue-skinned, male Nautolan had saved her life, after all. Kinda.

“There is no ignorance, there is knowledge. There is no passion, there is serenity. There is no chaos, there is harmony. There is no death, there is the Force.”

Faith pondered the words and decided that it was utter bull, save for maybe the last line. She hadn’t been in this universe or dimension or whatever for very long, but it was evident that she was sensitive to this ‘Force,’ whatever it was. Supposedly, if she could control it, she could be like a Slayer and a witch combined.

“Now then, Padawan Lehane,” Master Ralto said, “what do you believe the Jedi Code is meant to teach us?”

Faith felt incredibly awkward in the center of the classroom, filled with other students of all ages and of so many different species, none of which she recognized. Tython was no Sunnydale or Boston, but she’d had enough of high school to last a lifetime. “I dunno,” Faith said. “We’re supposed to just turn off our emotions and let the Force take control or somethin’? The world doesn’t work like that, Ra… Master Ralto.”

The Nautolan Jedi Master smiled at Faith’s near-slip. She wasn’t used to calling anyone ‘master’ for any reason, but she gave the Jedi his due respect for subduing her and calming her down peaceably after she’d tried to kill him, and then forgiven her. Not a lot of people Faith had met would be that generous, but Master Ralto was an all right guy.

“It is not like that, Padawan Lehane, but I can see how a new initiate might get that perception.”

Faith resented the title of ‘Padawan’ even more than calling all the Jedi here ‘Master This’ or ‘Jedi That.’ It just sounded so Sesame Street to her. “Then what is it like?” she asked, trying not to snarl.

Ralto smiled serenely and paced at the front of the classroom. “Jedi calm their emotions to avoid distractions and attachment. We must remain impartial in order to be proper peacekeepers. By refusing to accept ignorance, we seek out what we do not know and make it part of our knowledge. Jedi must be ruled by logic. Passion clouds our judgment, and so we seek calm at all times. Chaos can reign over others, but if we accept that there will always be some things over which we have no control, then we will reach a state of harmony with ourselves.”

“What about that last part, Master Ralto?” Faith asked. “How is there ‘no death?’ That’s not possible, unless you believe what the Sith say about the Emperor.”

At this, some of the younger students began whispering loudly amongst themselves. Faith realized that some of the kids probably didn’t know much about the Sith or their Empire.

Master Ralto remained calm and closed his eyes. A feeling of peace fell over the classroom, and Faith felt herself relax as the room went quiet. When she realized that Ralto was casting some sort of spell over the class to calm them down, she felt her anger spike inside of her.

“When we say ‘there is no death,’” Ralto explained, “we do not mean that death is not a real thing. It is simply not the end of existence. The Force is in and is a part of all things. When we die, our bodies, minds, and spirits do not leave the Force, and the Force does not leave them. We continue on, but in another form. It may not be a form with consciousness or physical being, but we all endure through the Force, which then gives life to all other things. Thus, all life is eternal, from a certain point of view.”

Faith wasn’t done. “You say the Jedi are ‘peacekeepers.’ We’re supposed to stay impartial and keep the balance, yadda yadda yadda. And yet, you all carry laser swords and train for war while the Sith want to wipe you all out. How do you stay ‘impartial peacekeepers’ with all of that going on?”

Ralto sighed, and Faith detected a hint of impatience. “The galaxy was not always at war. Before the Sith invaded, we had three centuries of peace throughout the galaxy. There was a war three hundred years ago that we only now understand to be a precursor to this invasion. The Jedi strive for a galaxy at peace, and when that happens, we will act to keep that peace. But the central tenet of the Sith Empire is that peace cannot be allowed to reign. So long as such evil exists, it must be the duty of the Jedi to oppose them at any cost.

“And by ‘oppose,’” Faith said, “you mean you have to kill them all, right?”

“Not necessarily,” Ralto said with exasperation. “Might I have a moment in private, Padawan Lehane?”

Faith nodded and rose from her seat at the desk. She whispered a brief apology to the class at large and went out into the hallway.

“Look, Master Ralto, I’m…”

“I know, I know. You’re sorry and you didn’t mean to cause trouble. I understand, Faith. You come from a life filled with conflict, and you are quite set in your ways. Most Jedi come to train very young. You are old for a Padawan, but full of potential. There is darkness in your past, but also a great yearning for good and for justice. I sense that you will accomplish much, but perhaps a classroom is not the proper venue for your training.”

Faith laughed at that, and Ralto smiled along with her. “You got that right. So, what do you think I should do?”

“Why don’t you take a taxi out to the training grounds in the Gnarls and let the Masters there teach you how to swing that practice sword that you’ve been itching to use.”

“What? I thought you were all about peace and not hitting stuff.”

Ralto took a deep breath. “The sad truth is that the Jedi are in need of capable warriors, and you are quite capable already. Perhaps in learning the forms of the lightsaber, you will come to know our ways better. May the Force be with you, Faith.”

“Right back at ya, Master Ralto.”

Faith turned to leave the confines of the Jedi Temple, and for a moment, she thought she could sense Ralto shaking his head and smiling, his head tresses shaking as he went back to his classroom. She was looking directly away from him, but she still knew that he’d been doing just that. Was this the Force at work?

~ ~ ~ ~ ~

Hopping into a droid-piloted speeder, Faith felt the air rush by her as she was driven up a dirt road to an open grassy area beneath tall, snowy mountains.

A Jedi was immediately upon her. “Padawan! What are you doing here?!” the human woman exclaimed. “The training grounds aren’t safe! Didn’t our messenger reach the Temple?”

“Dunno,” Faith answered. “Maybe not yet. What’s the problem? Can I help?”

“No, not unless you’re prepared to take on a small army of Flesh Raiders.”

Faith’s hand went to the handle of her practice sword. “What’s a Flesh Raider, and how do I kill one?”

“Peace, Padawan,” the Jedi woman said, though she was clearly ill at ease. “I recognize you, now. You’re Master Ralto’s student. The one he found on Denova, yes?”

“Yeah, that’s what they tell me,” Faith said.

“Hm. You might be able to hold your own. Until reinforcements arrive, we have to consolidate our forces. Last I heard, a group of Padawans was trapped in the mountains by a gang of Flesh Raiders. They’re Tython’s natives, and they are a nasty sort. They’re smart enough to use blasters and blades, and they eat their kills. I’ll mark the position where the Padawans were last seen on your map. Normally, I wouldn’t send you alone, but right now, we have no choice.”

“Don’t worry about me,” Faith said. “I’ll find ‘em and bring 'em back nice and safe.”

The Jedi woman breathed a sigh of relief. “I hope your task goes smoothly. Be safe, and may the Force be with you.”

Faith held out her wrist, which had a holo-generator on it, showing her a map of the area. She had to get across a bridge and then cross a river to get where she was going.

Breathing in more than air, Faith felt a power flow through her, as if the energy of Tython’s ground itself were filling her with life and vitality. With a burst of speed, Faith took off faster than she’d ever run before.

When she got to the bridge, she saw a group of three ugly, hammer-headed, humanoid things with guns in their hands. They saw her and started firing with horrific war cries.

Faith didn’t know what to think of them, other than how hideous they looked. They were the enemy, and they weren’t human, but a lot of things weren’t human in this universe. Could she kill these things and not be a murderer?

As she deflected their blaster bolts without even thinking of it consciously, she felt a calm come over her as she sensed the evil inside of them. She saw without seeing the blood dripping from their lips, and she knew that they were creatures of darkness.

Faith could almost hear Master Ralto’s kind voice telling her, ‘There is no emotion, there is peace.’

The Flesh Raiders were just barely more than feral, and yet they weren’t mindless monsters. Faith’s blade ended their lives quickly and painlessly. She didn’t want to be a murderer, but she wasn’t about to stand by and let anyone else be hurt if she could help it.

Faith crossed the bridge and waded into the river, swimming downstream a bit and then coming up on the other side. She was no tracker, and she couldn’t see a path on the map from where she was now to where the Padawans had been.

A small ridge of rocks lay off to the side, and Faith realized that it didn’t have to be a boundary to her. “There is no ignorance,” she said, jumping over the meters-high wall with ease. “There is knowledge.”

Finding a path, Faith walked up it until she came upon a roughly-made metal cage with a dead Jedi child inside. A hot anger swelled up inside Faith, and she wanted to kill the monster that had done this.

But there was no Flesh Raider near the cage, and Faith realized that there was nothing she could do here to change things. “There is no passion,” she realized. “There is serenity.”

Further along the path, Faith was ambushed by five Flesh Raiders wielding swords and staves. Before she could react, Faith was huddling up to protect herself from the slashes and beatings that she was receiving. She wanted to lash out, but the blows were coming so fast that she couldn’t get a clear read on which opponent was where and how they were positioned.

A soothing feeling overtook Faith, healing her wounds and clearing her head. The Force was aiding her, she realized. “There is no chaos,” she whispered, just as she let out a burst of energy, throwing her opponents all backward and to the ground. “There is harmony,” she said, standing up and continuing on the path.

At the end, she saw three young Padawans, and one of them was injured. “There you are!” Faith said. “Are you guys all right?”

“We’re fine,” a dark-skinned human girl said. “Jerridan took a blaster bolt from a Flesh Raider, but we took it down. We can stay and fight.”

“That is not what the Jedi Code teaches us,” a horned Zabrak male said.

“I gotta agree,” Faith said. “You’re Jerridan, right? You are not gonna die on my watch, you hear me?”

Faith picked up the injured boy and carried him over her shoulder. “You are not going to die. There is no death, just the Force, you hear me?”

“Yes, I hear you,” the kid said through gritted teeth.

“Atta boy. Let’s get you back to the Temple. I got a beacon here that can signal a pickup at a clearing nearby. Just a little bit further, hang on.”

~ ~ ~ ~ ~

Faith stood outside the walls of the Jedi Temple as the medics took Jerridan and his friends inside to the infirmary. They were good kids, and she hoped they’d be okay.

“That was a very brave thing you did for those Padawans,” a woman’s voice said.

Faith turned to see a grey-haired female human in a sleeveless black tunic. “Thank you… Um, sorry. I don’t know what to call you, and you’re not dressed like most Jedi.”

The woman smirked with wry humor. “I’m Grand Master Satele Shan. I suppose with rank comes privilege, even among the Jedi. It’s not something I think about much, but perhaps I should. It’s Faith, right?”

“Yes, Master. So, um, if you don’t mind my asking, what’s the Grand Master of the Jedi Order doing here? Shouldn’t you be directing the rescue efforts or coordinating the war with the Sith or something?”

“The Force is a tool for knowledge and defense,” Master Shan said. “We don’t attack in aggression, ever. That is why I am not plotting a military campaign. As for why I am here at the Temple, it is my responsibility to ensure the safety and the education of all Jedi. Regarding your actions today: You engaged in battle, and you took responsibility for yourself, for your charges, and even for your enemies. Those are the signs of a wise woman. A wise Jedi, I would say.”

“Yeah, I’m all right,” Faith said with a smirk of her own.

Master Shan smiled knowingly. “If you don’t mind, I’d like to talk with you privately later this evening about today’s events, and also about finding you on Denova if at all possible.”

Faith nodded. “Yeah, sure thing.”

“Very well,” Satele Shan said. “I will see you then. May the Force be with you.”

As the Grand Master walked away into the Temple, thoughts of Denova came back to Faith, and she couldn’t help but be reminded of the one thing that hadn’t left her mind at all since arriving on Tython.

Where the hell was Buffy?
Excited for new chapters

5,900 Points
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Full closet 200
  • Hygienic 200
Buffy II - Social Contracts

Buffy strode into Overseer Dalen’s new study and whistled at the change in scenery from his old haunt. It was a far larger space with a nice, big window overlooking the Valley of the Dark Lords. The desk was unlike anything Buffy had seen before. Yes, it was a desk, but the carvings in it almost looked like runes, only they weren’t in the Aurebesh language that she’d come to associate with this universe.

“Ah, come in Acolyte Summers,” Dalen said, clearly in a good mood. “Your little jaunt in the Tomb of Ajunta Pall has reaped many benefits.”

“Which is why you sent me there in the first place,” Buffy realized aloud. “If I died, I was of no use to you, but if I succeeded – which I did with flying colors, thank you very much – then you would get the credit and recognition that we all know you deserve for training me so well,” she said sarcastically.

“You are starting to think like a Sith,” Dalen said approvingly. “This is very good. Sit down. We have much to discuss.”

Buffy raised an eyebrow, but took the seat across from the Overseer. “You’re being awfully familiar with me, Overseer,” she noted.

“Well, most Sith would simply take the credit they felt they were due and leave it at that, but I owe my higher stature to your success more than anything else. As such, I feel it is necessary to reevaluate our situation.”

“Let me guess,” Buffy said with renewed sarcasm. “This is where you hammer home the point that you’re the teacher, I’m the student, and I’m not supposed to get any wild ideas about killing you and taking your place, right?”

“To a point, yes,” Dalen admitted. “Since you have already guessed one purpose of this discussion, I shan’t bore you with needless intimidation. You make a reasonably compliant student, and you are intelligent enough to know that I am still your better in the ways of the Force. No, we must consult on where to go from here. The clearing of the Tomb of Ajunta Pall was a task that was expected to require the sacrifice of many platoons of Imperial soldiers. You’ve spared the Empire a great deal in the way of both time and resources, and in the process have reopened to us a great source of ancient knowledge.”

“Uh, you’re welcome?” Buffy said skeptically.

“Quite,” Dalen said drolly. “Whenever another Sith sends their acolytes into that Tomb, they will know that it is only by your power that they are able to do so. We have made a bold move, but that boldness has called out our strength to the entire Academy, and that strength will be seen by many as a challenge.”

“Aren’t students forbidden from killing each other?” Buffy asked. “I mean, it sounds like you’re telling me to watch out, but do I really need to worry about that?”

Dalen snorted. “I thought you were smarter than that, Summers. That rule is the official word, but as Sith, you must learn to read between the lines. You can only be punished if you leave proof to show that you are the guilty party. The true rule is that no acolyte shall kill another and be caught doing so. You will need to be on your guard. Self-defense is permissible.”

Buffy simply nodded to indicate that she understood. There was a silent understanding between the two of them as to when the Overseer wanted a reply and when he didn’t. Buffy had run enough menial errands for higher-ranked Sith Lords to know that Dalen was far smarter than many Sith, and she figured that he was probably working his way to become a full-fledged Lord in his own right.

“Your mastery of the war-blade is spectacular, particularly given your limited time with it. It is merely a stepping stone, however, to the true weapon of a Sith: the lightsaber. It is typical for the most promising apprentices to retrieve rare and ancient weapons from the Tombs, or else from rival acolytes. For you, however, I have something else in mind. A Sith’s weapon is not merely a tool. In combat, a lightsaber becomes an extension of the self. You must be as intimately familiar with it as you are with your own body. For that reason, you will construct your own lightsaber, and I will present it to you upon the completion of your trials on Korriban.”

Buffy felt her eyes widen. “You mean your glowy-sword-things? I have no idea how that technology works. Any technology, really. I’d probably blow something up trying.”

Dalen waved away her concerns with a brush of his hand. “The components you are most unfamiliar with will be assembled beforehand. There is some leeway that I will allow you, given your lack of technical expertise and unfamiliarity with our lettering. Which brings me to another topic I want to discuss with you: I want you to teach me your language.”

Buffy couldn’t help but laugh. “You want to learn the alphabet? We do understand each other, don’t we?”

“We do. Your language is close enough to Basic that I can understand you as though you had a Corellian accent. Perhaps it is some subtle working of the Force that allows us to understand one another. But I want to know your written language. The time may come when we will need to encode our work, and if we can use characters that no others are familiar with, then we will gain an advantage.”

“And while I teach you English,” Buffy said, following her train of thought, “you’ll be teaching me… What is it called? Aurebesh?”

“Precisely! Oh, there are so many Sith who must be wondering how a being from a primitive world such as Denova could be so cunning and powerful. You are an anomaly, Summers, though few realize just how much of one. Be cautious with need, bold with opportunity, and you will go very far.”

Buffy didn’t know how far she needed to go, but once she found Faith, then she’d head as far as it took to get back home.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~

Buffy was looking for a brain.

It was a testament to how crazy her life had been up until now that she did not question the sanity of the Sith Lord who had sent her into the Tomb of Marka Ragnos to retrieve the brain of a beast that he had experimented on. The guy was clearly crazy, but Buffy knew that he had earned his ‘Lord’ title somehow, and she didn’t want to test his patience. So, she found herself battling through a tomb full of tuk’ata – monstrous, dog-like beasts with large horns – to find the one mutated version with a brain she needed to retrieve.

A moment before her Slayer’s hearing picked up on the voices, the Force alerted her to two others ahead of her.

“-insane, I tell you! I thought the k’lor slugs were all gone from the tombs!” a young woman shouted.

“They’re all over Korriban, Malra. Get used to it. That was Ajunta Pall’s tomb, on the other side of the Valley. Some new blood who doesn’t know her own reach supposedly did the deed on her own.” This voice belonged to a young man.

“You really think one person could do that, Telran? One acolyte? We barely survived three k’lor slugs. What if there are more?”

“It doesn’t matter, does it? Either we retrieve that tablet, or Loslar kills us when we come back empty-handed. Let’s just get it over with.”

“Shouldn’t we go to the Overseer? You know: Tell him that Loslar has us doing his dirty work for him?”

“You know that wouldn’t work, Malra. They’d just say that it was… Oh, no. More slugs!”

Buffy decided that now was as good a time to stop eavesdropping and join the fight. These kids didn’t sound like they were cut out to be Sith, and anyone else at the Academy would have left them to die.

Buffy wasn’t anyone else.

With the Force powering her, she leaped down the stairs into the dark of the tomb and hacked away at the k’lor slugs. There was some illumination from a number of crystal lanterns, but the Force was all the vision that Buffy needed. How she had ever lived without it, she did not know.

After just under a minute, a small brood of k’lor slugs was dead, and Buffy reached a hand to the two acolytes who were presently flat on their respective rear ends. “You guys all right?”

Malra and Telran both leaped back and drew their own training blades. “Back off!”

Buffy held up her hands. “Whoa, chill out! I just saved your lives, in case you didn’t notice. When did people stop saying ‘thank you’ for stuff like that?”

Telran was a red-skinned pure-blooded Sith, and he stepped in front of Malra, who was a dark-skinned human. “What do you want?”

“Me?” Buffy replied. “I’m looking for a mutant tuk’ata so I can take its brain back to Lord Renning. I’m not here to kill you, or to hurt you, or to maim you, etcetera, etcetera, and so forth.”

Malra gestured wildly at Buffy. “That’s her! She’s the one who cleared out Ajunta Pall’s tomb!”

Telran kept his blade raised, but he held steady. “Is that true?”

“It’s true,” Buffy said. “And if you don’t try to kill me, I won’t try to kill you. And while we’re on the subject of people killing each other, I overheard you talking about some problems with a guy called Loslar. Who is he?”

Telran spit on the ground. “He comes from a noble family. Can trace his lineage back to the Great Hyperspace War, so he gets preferential treatment. Has a bunch of other acolytes do his dirty work while he takes all the credit. He’s a coward and a disgrace to all Sith!”

“Keep your voice down!” Buffy hissed. “Your shouting earlier was what drew the slugs, so let’s keep it quiet.”

“Right. Sorry," Telran said carefully. "He’s not the most powerful acolyte, but he’s got a few cronies who are hoping to benefit from family connections once he becomes a Lord. Together, they can back up his threats.”

“Huh.” Buffy felt a tug at the back of her mind, and she knew that the mutant tuk’ata was not far away. “I’ll tell you what. You help me with this tuk’ata, and I’ll help you with Loslar.”

“Why are you even offering to help?” Malra asked softly. “You’re powerful, far more than we are. And it’s no good denying it, Telran. What do you gain from helping us?”

“What do I gain from letting you die?” Buffy countered. She didn't like talking to anyone in such a cold manner, but If these two were going to think like Sith, then Buffy would have to relate to them on those terms. “Look, if you’re dead, then you’re of no use to me. Alive, you can be my eyes and ears in places where I can’t go. I can protect you if you work with me. Understand now?”

Before either of the other acolytes could answer, the roar of a tuk’ata sounded from not far away, and Buffy felt it in the Force, but slightly off. This had to be the mutant she was seeking.

“All right. I’ll draw it’s attention and keep it off of you. While I make it mad, you take off its legs and stab it in the spine if you can, okay?”

Buffy drew her blade and felt the monster rushing closer, smelling fresh meat.

It came soaring through the air, claws extended and mouth wide. Buffy leaped into the air and kicked the beast into the wall, then pulled on it just a bit with the Force.

It roared and came at her, but Buffy stood her ground and bounced away from each deadly claw, swiping at its head to try to wound it through its thick hide.

The tuk’ata began snapping at its rear as the Telran and Malra began hacking at its legs. Buffy punched it in the side of its head to get its attention, and she barely missed getting her arm bitten off.

A moment later, the beast roared in pain as its hind right leg gave out. Seconds later, its hind left leg was cut out from under it. Buffy leaped onto the tuk’ata’s back and drove her war-blade through its spine. It wriggled and writhed for a few seconds before keeling over, dead.

“Whew. You guys okay?” Buffy asked as she wiped the sweat from her brow.

“Yeah. We’re fine,” Malra said. “You fought that thing with your fists and feet! How did you do that?”

“She’s more powerful than we realized,” Telran said, and before Buffy could protest, he bent to one knee.

Buffy didn’t want anyone kneeling before her, but Malra was following suit.

“What is this?” Buffy asked carefully.

“We pledge our lives to you and your glory, my Lord,” Telran said. “We offer ourselves as your apprentices, to be extensions of your will.”

“Whoa, hold on!” Buffy said. “I’m just an acolyte here, myself. A-and I’m not even from around here! The world they found me on, Denova… It was just recently discovered. I’m flying blind once I get out of here.”

“We’ll teach you all that you are ignorant of,” Malra said without insult. “We will introduce you to the Empire, my Lord. Will you introduce us to true power?”

Buffy wanted to protest, but she could do nothing to change their attitudes. Theirs was a culture of dominance and submission, and not the fun kind, either. She could work with them to a degree, but she’d have to be careful.

“All right. I, uh, accept you as my apprentices. First things first, no one outside this room ever knows of this. Understand? You tell nobody, you act as if nothing strange happened here. Got it?”

“Yes, Master,” they said as one.

Buffy recoiled a bit at being addressed in such a way. “Wow. Uh, you may rise?”

The two acolytes rose to their feet. “What would you have us do, Master?” Malra asked.

“Help me cut open this thing’s head. I have a container to store the brain in. After that, we look for your tablet and then work out a way to deal with Loslar. Sound good to you?”

“My Lord,” Telran said, “it would be my genuine pleasure.”

~ ~ ~ ~ ~

Buffy stood alone in the dark of an underground corridor of the Sith Academy, waiting for Loslar to show. He’d arranged a rendezvous for Telran and Malra to hand over the tablet, which had been found in a chamber not too far from where they’d slain the mutant tuk’ata.

She simultaneously heard and felt footsteps approaching. Two sets of heavy feet, one light. Turning to face them, Buffy found herself looking at a scrawny red-skinned Sith Pureblood with prominent cheek tendrils, flanked by two other pureblooded Sith who were probably twins. Both had very prominent eyebrow ridges that were remarkably similar, and they even dressed alike.

“Who are you?” the scrawny one demanded.

“You Loslar?” Buffy asked.

“I am,” the punk said imperiously. “Where are Malra and Telran?”

“Dead,” Buffy lied nonchalantly. “They had this really cool-looking tablet-thingy that they told me you wanted so badly that you’d kill for it. I figured that I’d save you the trouble of taking on two guys at once and take the tablet for myself.”

Loslar smirked. “And you wanted to offer it to me in the hopes of gaining an alliance, is that it?”

“Hm, not really,” Buffy said. “Y’know what I think? I think a true Sith would know that through strength, he gains power. I think you’re more along the lines of ‘through weakness, I gain prestige.’”

Loslar’s eyes widened, as though nobody had ever dared spoken to him this way before. Nobody probably ever had. “You think to challenge me, girl?”

“I think that a real Sith would take what he wanted himself instead of sending lackeys to do his bidding," Buffy countered. "But they’re dead now, and I have the tablet. Tell me: What will your master do to you when you don’t give it to him?”

Loslar bristled at the implication. “Sappa, Laffa, make her talk,” he snarled.

The twin Sith advanced on Buffy, but she jumped over their heads and landed behind Loslar, pulling her war-blade out and holding its serrated edge to Loslar’s throat. “No, I don’t think we’ll be doing that. Will we, Sappa? Laffa?”

“Put down your weapons!” Loslar yelled hysterically. “What do you want, girl?”

“Me?” Buffy asked innocently. “I want to walk out of here alive."

As she held the puny kid at her mercy, Buffy felt bile rising in her throat that this pathetic creature had actual Sith running life-and-death errands while he sat back and did nothing. It was like if Cordelia had made Xander and Willow jump through fire instead of just teasing them with words.

"And," Buffy said, her anger building, "I want you to recognize who your betters are.” Loslar was Sith, and Buffy knew that this was how to get to him. “You’re weak, Loslar. You’re too weak to search the tombs yourself, and you’re too weak to intimidate others on your own. You have the twins here, who I’m sure revere you for your family’s money, right? They figure you’ll coast along to Lordship on your name alone, right? Only it doesn’t work that way. Sith aren’t born; they’re made. Forged, even. You are nothing. Do you hear me?”

The twins didn’t advance, but looked on with amused faces. Loslar merely whimpered.

“Tell me what you are, Loslar,” Buffy asked with false sweetness. When he didn’t answer, she pressed her blade a bit further into his neck. “What are you?”

“Nothing!” he cried out. “You’re my better! I swear it! I’ll do whatever you want!”

“All right, then," Buffy said with a perverse satisfaction that she did not truly feel. "Here’s what you’re going to do. Nothings aren’t cut out to be Sith. You’re going to contact your noble family and plead with them to let their beloved son come home. His instructors have him doing the most menial of tasks that are beneath a Sith of his stature, and despite all his protests, they won’t challenge him as a Sith should be challenged. You’ll be called home to partake in whatever Sith high society is like, and should you ever be called upon by someone called ‘Sunhome,’ then you will do whatever that person says. Are we clear?”

“Y-yes! Yes, I’ll leave as soon as I can!”

“Good boy. And you two?" Buffy asked the twins. "How loyal are you to this bozo here?”

“He was a path to power,” one of them said. “Now he is, as you said, nothing.”

“You heard the man,” Buffy said to Loslar. “Get out of here. Go on, skedaddle. Move it!”

Loslar scurried out of the dark corridor as fast as he could.

“You could lead us to more power,” the other twin pondered. Buffy couldn’t keep them separate in her mind, and was now thinking of them as Twin A and Twin B.

“But if we kill you now,” Twin B said, “we remove a powerful rival.”

“And there are no witnesses to implicate either of us,” Twin A continued.

“We could kill you now,” Twin B concluded.

“Easily,” Twin A added.

Buffy smirked. “No, you couldn’t. If you could have killed me, you wouldn’t still be talking. I also think you still need that tablet, or else your master won’t be happy one bit. So, you can try to beat me into telling you where it is, or you can kill me and spend a long, long time looking for it.”

The twins seemed to think as one, for which Buffy was grateful. She didn’t want to kill if she could help it. Part of her looked at them as red-skinned demons, but another part saw them as people. Buffy did not want to become a murderer.

“I’ll make you a deal,” Buffy offered carefully. “I hand over the tablet, you let me walk away, and then we can go back to being rivals tomorrow. Right now, you don’t know if you can take me without losing your tablet, and I don’t know if I can take both of you on without dying. Also, you don’t know where the tablet is. I may not have even brought it with me.”

The twins looked at each other, and then they both nodded. “You have a deal,” Twin A said.

“All righty, then!” Buffy said in a too-chipper voice. “Let’s all walk out of here together, and then I’ll hand it over to you.”

Buffy began walking back up towards the main level of the Academy, and she noticed the twins flanking her. They didn’t want her pulling any mischief.

Once they reached the main level, Buffy led Sappa and Laffa over to a corner where she dislodged a loose stone and removed a heavy stone tablet from a hidden compartment. It was wrapped in a black cloth to protect it.

Twin A and Twin B switched places, and the new Twin B removed the cloth while Twin A examined the tablet.

They turned to Buffy, nodded silently, and headed off.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~

“You wanted to see me, Overseer Dalen?”

“Yes, Acolyte Summers, I did. You should be aware that I know of your trip into the lower levels last night, and I know that a well-connected student named Loslar came out of those passages afraid for his life. He is petitioning to leave the academy.”

Buffy shrugged. “There’s a lot of space down there. Maybe he saw something that scared him.”

“Maybe he did,” Dalen agreed, not questioning Buffy’s statement. “I’ve also heard that two of Loslar’s lackeys, Sappa and Laffa Falos, presented a tablet presumably found in the Tomb of Marka Ragnos to Overseer Sadin, who locked up both twins upon discovering markings on the tablet that show it to be from the Academy’s archives.”

“Huh. So, they stole something from the archives to show off as the real thing, only the Overseer caught on? Sucks to be them.”

“Yes, indeed,” Dalen said, smiling. “I went and examined the tablet upon its return to the archives and checked it out for personal study. I could not help but notice that the markings denoting it as archival were only recently added. Less than a day ago, I would judge. And the writings on the tablet… Well, they are most intriguing.”

Buffy shrugged, not needing to confirm or deny her machinations. “A mystery that will likely remain unsolved for years to come.”

Dalen chuckled and openly smiled. “No one will miss an archived tablet being used for background study. Again, I have you to thank for my sudden good fortune. This knowledge will most certainly be beneficial.”

“As you gain power, then so do I, Overseer,” Buffy said demurely while inwardly partying over her greater understanding of how the Sith worked.

“You understand things well, Acolyte. I will call upon you later. Go and spend your allotted time in the archives, and be sure not to remove anything that ought not be removed.

“Yes, Overseer.”

Buffy left Dalen’s study and headed to the archives, a massive room full of shelves of scrolls, tomes, tablets, and holocrons full of ancient knowledge and philosophy.

Pulling out a pad of some sort of alien paper, Buffy sat down and took a writing stylus from a container in the center of the desk.

Two chairs were pulled out and were promptly sat in. Buffy smiled. “Telran, Malra, so glad you could make it," she said with genuine warmth. "Now, you have some things to teach me about the Empire, right?”

“Yes, Master.”

5,900 Points
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Full closet 200
  • Hygienic 200
Faith II - Pilgrimage

“Of all the stories I expected to hear, I can’t say I anticipated that,” Grand Master Satele Shan said with awe.

“It’s the truth,” Faith said. She was joining the Jedi Order’s Grand Master for an evening meal after her earlier ordeal with the Flesh Raiders. “One second, I’m on Earth, my home. The next, I’m in the middle of a warzone on a planet that everyone tells me is Denova. I’m there with my… God, what do I call B? She’s like a friend and a sister and something else. I dunno how to describe our relationship, but we were both there. We got separated. I saw Master Ralto coming at me with a laser sword and thought he was a demon trying to kill me.”

“Because your world has never met life from another planet,” Satele concluded.

“Right. So, I try to attack Master Ralto with a shovel, somehow managing to avoid getting myself or my weapon sliced by his laser sword, and he shoves me to the ground without even touching me. Used the Force or whatever. Your boys in white armor put me in chains, but Ralto sought me out, let me go and took me with him. He’s a good guy.”

“Yes, he is,” Satele agreed. “I wonder if we can locate your planet. What can you tell me about it?”

Faith felt herself squirm inside. “I, uh, I’m not gonna be much help. I wasn’t ever really the school type. I can tell you that it’s mostly water, it’s the third rock from the sun, it has a moon… That’s about it, really.”

“How many other planets are there?” Satele asked patiently.

“There are nine total, I think, but some idiots tried to say that the last one isn’t technically a planet. Oh! The ninth planet’s orbit overlaps with the eighth one! Thank you, plastic childhood teaching placemat!”

Satele arched an eyebrow at the last exclamation, but said nothing about it. “Well, it’s not a lot to go on. I’ll do what I can, but I can’t promise much. I’m sorry, Faith.”

“Don’t sweat it, Sa… Grand Master,” Faith said, not used to being with such important people.

For her part, Master Shan didn’t seem to take it the wrong way. “Thank you for your understanding. I believe Master Ralto was looking for you. He’s in his meditation chambers.”

“Thanks, Master. May the Force be with you.” Faith felt strange saying it, but it seemed to be the proper way to say goodbye to a Jedi.

Satele took it in the spirit offered and bowed her head. “May the Force be with you as well.”

Faith bowed her head and took off for Master Ralto’s room.

Upon arriving, she knocked on the door gently, despite it being ajar. The blue-skinned Nautolan was hovering in the air with his eyes closed, but he unfolded his legs and stood up to speak with Faith. “Ah, thank you for coming. This is urgent, so we should speak quickly.”

“Sure thing, boss,” Faith said, forgetting the Jedi Master’s title.

He let it slide. “First of all, well done with the Padawans in the Gnarls. That took some serious skill and fortitude.”

Faith nodded. “Gave me a better idea about that Code you were trying to teach me.”

“And I am glad of that, but now your talents are needed elsewhere.”

“My talents?” Faith was very confused. “I’m no Master. I’m still a potty-one, whatever that is, and not by choice, may I remind you.”

“Your strength in the Force is too great to allow to remain untamed. You could be a dangerous enemy, Faith.”

“Ha! Master Ralto, I am a dangerous enemy. Just not your enemy.”

“I recognize that, and I believe that your lack of preconceptions about our galaxy will give you insight where the rest of us see no solutions. There is a settlement nearby, you see. A group of Twi’lek pilgrims settled in Kalikori Village, but the settlement was not sanctioned by the Republic, and the Senate has asked us not to intervene in Twi’lek affairs, so as not to validate their settlement.”

Faith shook her head. “You lost me. What’s the point?”

“The point, Padawan Lehane, is that these illegal settlers are being attacked by Flesh Raiders, and the Jedi have been obligated to ignore the problem. It was only recently brought to my attention that one of the pilgrims may have unearthed a dangerous relic, and now we must mend ties in order to gain their cooperation.”

“Ugh. Let me get this straight,” Faith said, audibly aggravated. “These guys came here peacefully, right? They needed protection, which you didn’t give them. Now they have something you need, and you want me to go and help you get it. That about right?”

“I did not say that it was an ideal situation, nor did I say we made the right decisions. It is what it is, and we have to deal with it.”

Faith sighed for deliberate dramatic effect. “What do you want me to do?”

“You will need to aid in the defense of the village, and help to organize the Twi’leks so that they can more properly defend themselves. The handling of the relic will be left to others. I suggest that you undergo a local ritual to see the settlers’ matriarch before you do anything else. It should earn you some level of respect, as it is considered a rite of passage for outsiders.”

Faith nodded. “Anything else?”

“Trust your instincts and your feelings, Faith. I know that you are a woman of deep passions, regardless of how the Jedi Order would have you think and act. You must sort out in your own mind which of those feelings are truest and act upon them accordingly. Your eyes and ears can deceive you, so reach out with the Force to discern the truth.”

“Yeah, sure. If you say so, Master Ralto. So, give me a map, and I’ll get on my way.”

~ ~ ~ ~ ~

“Just a simple ritual. Nothing too big, right?”

Faith was talking to herself as she carried a flaming brand up the mountain path leading out of the village. A helpful Twi’lek male had explained the ritual to her: Carry the brand up the path, light the beacons along the way, and survive whatever she ran into on her journey.

So far, Faith had had to deal with a number of Flesh Raiders and some other creatures they seemed to be keeping as slaves. Faith didn’t know what they were, but if they were an intelligent species, then these were their lesser, feral cousins.

She’d lit three beacons so far, and the fourth and last was in sight. There wasn’t a lot of wildlife along this particular trail, save for the occasional uxibeast, and they were grazers.

Not sensing any form of attack, Faith lit the fourth beacon and continued up the path. Was it just her imagination, or was that a house at the top of the hill?

Her goal in sight, Faith resumed her journey with renewed energy. The small band of Flesh Raiders did not deter her in the slightest. The Force guided her blade, killing each of the three beings with a single, efficient slash.

At the peak of the mountain, Faith felt an influx of energy. It was positive, sustaining, and protective. She’d learned enough about the Force to know that it was stronger in certain places than in others. Tython as a whole was one such place, and this peak seemed to be another. Faith figured that it accounted for the Matriarch’s safety from the Flesh Raiders.

Not wanting to appear completely out of it, Faith sat cross-legged on the ground and tried to focus on a healing meditation that she’d been taught. It was simple if one could just relax one’s mind enough, but that was something that didn’t come easily to Faith.

Still, she managed enough of a brief trance to reinvigorate herself, and she had the presence of mind to make herself somewhat presentable before going inside.

Faith moved around to the front of the house, only to find no door, just an open portal. “Hello?” she called. “Is anybody here?”

“I am here, indeed, young Jedi.”

Faith looked up and saw an elderly Twi’lek speaking to her from the roof of the house.

“Please, come upstairs.”

Faith nodded and ascended the spiraling staircase inside the house, which eventually led to a nicely furnished roof where the woman who had to be the Matriarch stood waiting.

“Welcome, Jedi. I am Kolovish, Matriarch of the Pilgrims here. I saw you light the beacons as you ascended the mountain. You do both us and yourself credit by respecting our customs.”

Faith didn’t know what to say to that. She wasn’t the diplomatic type at all. She was a fighter. How was she supposed to react to an old woman’s gratitude?

“Look, um, Matriarch? Can I be honest with you?”

“I would appreciate that greatly. Might I first have your name?”

“Oh! Right, sorry. I’m Faith.”

“A telling name, indeed. Now then, let us sit, and you can be honest about what is on your mind.”

Kolovish directed Faith to a small table with two simple wooden stools, where they sat down together.

“Thanks,” Faith said. “It’s just… The Jedi are looking for some artifact or something that they think one of your people has, so they sent me to help you out with defending yourself. Something like a sign of good will to make up for all the times they ignored you when the Flesh Raiders were attacking. And they asked me to do the ritual. It made sense, you know? Be respectful and do what’s expected, right? Only thing is that I’m lost and clueless and your people have been screwed over big time and I feel like a liar coming here and doing this ceremony just to earn your trust when you got no reason to give it.”

The Twi’lek Matriarch merely smiled kindly. “Your words do you great credit, Jedi Faith. You clearly wish to do what is right for all people, and you are not so blindly devoted to the Jedi that you do not see their faults. A true Jedi does what is right even when it is not convenient, or even lawful sometimes. At least, that is what my ancestors taught me. If you are the future of the Order, then perhaps there is truth to that.”

Faith wriggled in her seat, feeling horribly awkward. “You’re being too good to me, Matriarch. I’m just a fighter, really. I see monsters or bad guys, and I kill ‘em. Not much of a peacekeeper or philosopher or whatever.”

“Perhaps that is not what the galaxy needs right now,” Kolovish said sagely. “Perhaps we simply need an honest woman who will speak the truth, even when it pains her to do so. Jedi Faith, you have my blessing and are welcome among our people.”

“What?! You’re serious?” Faith asked disbelievingly.

“Of course, I am serious. You give yourself too little credit. I mean no humor when I ask you to have faith in yourself, young Jedi.” Kolovish’s hands went to a decorative button on her robe and removed it. “Let me put this on your robe, Faith. It will show to all of Kalikori Village that you are a friend of our people, and are welcome among us.”

Faith stood up and held still as the Matriarch affixed the button. “Thank you, Matriarch. I don’t know what to say, but I’ll do my best to keep your people safe.”

“I know you will, Faith. Go now, and peace be with you.”

~ ~ ~ ~ ~

The trip back down the mountain path wasn’t nearly as difficult as it had been coming up. Faith’s attackers were all dead, and any potential new attackers were scared off by the dead bodies she had left behind.

Upon arriving in the village proper, Faith saw that most of the pilgrims had gravitated towards the center of the town, where a tall, blue-skinned Twi’lek man was speaking to the crowd, which was listening with rapt attention.

“For too long,” the speaker yelled, “we’ve been captive to the Flesh Raiders, who hold us in fear. Captive to the Republic, who tried to deny us our right to settle here. Captive to the Jedi, who have so much power, and yet refuse to share it. But I have found power of my own, and I will use it to defend our village!”

The Twi’lek raised in both hands a glowing green cube, etched with symbols that Faith didn’t recognize. It sounded like a twinkle or a sparkle might sound.

“This device has granted me knowledge and power beyond any that I have known before, and it can be yours as well. Join me, and we will take the fight to the Flesh Raiders, then to the Jedi Temple, and then to the Republic itself!”

The crowd cheered wildly, and Faith knew that this could get out of hand very quickly if she didn’t do something. There were no other Jedi nearby, and these villagers were caught up in a mob mentality.

“How do you plan on doing that?” she called out.

The crowd of Twi’leks parted to allow a clear line of sight between Faith and the speaker. “What do you know of this, outsider?”

Faith smirked. “Well, I did just have a nice chat with your Matriarch. She seemed like a nice old lady. Gave me this wonderful button and everything. I think that means that I have a voice here.”

“You have no place here, Jedi! Begone before we cut you down!” the speaker yelled angrily.

“I have heard from the Matriarch,” a green-skinned Twi’lek said, and Faith recognized him as the one who had set her on the path up the mountain. “She has passed the trials, and is recognized by Kolovish as a member of our tribe.”

“And as a member,” Faith said, "I gotta say that your plan has some serious flaws. If you go out and attack the Flesh Raiders, you’re gonna come home to find your village ransacked and destroyed. That’s assuming you survive.

“Then there’s the Jedi,” Faith continued. “Now, I’m new to the whole Force-using stuff, but I’ve seen some Masters at work, and from what I can tell, they could probably smack you down without even trying. They haven’t, though, so don’t try to fix what ain’t broke.

“As for the Republic… Well, all I have to ask is how’re you gonna get off Tython? Where’s your ship? And what about the Empire? Are all, what, two hundred or so of you going to take on an entire galaxy?”

“You know nothing of the power I have obtained, outsider!” the speaker said, and Faith felt power in his words. “You will not poison the minds of my people. I, Gaspal, challenge you to prove your mettle against me. I will prove to everyone here that I have what it takes to conquer a Jedi.”

Faith chuckled and slid off her outer robe and stretched a bit. Some of the Twi’leks gestured at her strangely, and Faith realized that they were looking at the tribal tattoo on her right bicep. Jedi probably didn’t get body art, she figured.

“You ready to do this?” Faith asked as she sauntered up towards Gaspal.

“I am,” he said as he drew his sword.

Without warning, he attacked, bringing his sword down in an overhand chop. Faith blocked and turned the blade aside, but he was on her again, swinging from all angles.

Faith knew herself well enough to remember what it was like to fight on pure anger and adrenaline, and this guy had all the symptoms. “You’re pretty angry, there, aren’t ya?” she said, between blows.

“The Flesh Raiders kill my people! You Jedi do nothing! What do you expect me to feel?” He lunged at her.

Faith parried the blow. “Angry, of course. But not stupid.”

Faith parried another series of blows, seeing no need to strike out herself. “You think you’re doing your tribe a favor by sending them out to battle? They’re not warriors. You’re gonna get ‘em killed.”

“Not with this power!” Gaspal shouted, and he lashed out with the Force, and Faith felt herself go flying through the air.

Guiding her body with the Force, Faith landed on her feet and her spare hand. “Is that all the power you’ve got? Really? You’re using up an awful lot of it right now. You sure you aren’t getting tired?”

Gaspal did look like he was wearing himself out, but he merely screamed and charged at Faith.

She easily sidestepped him and slapped him on the rear with her blade. Not hard enough to cut, but enough to knock him down on his belly.

A gasp went up through the crowd as Faith stalked over to Gaspal, threw away his sword, and turned him over on his back. “You lost, buddy.”

“What are you waiting for?” he spat. “Finish it.”

Faith shook her head. “No. I’m not a murderer. Get up.”

Gaspal looked appalled. “What?”

“I said get up!” Faith shouted.

The Twi’lek rushed to obey.

“All right, everyone. You want to protect your village, right? That’s why I’m here. I don’t give a damn about this relic, save that it seems to have given Gaspal here delusions of grandeur. I think it’s dangerous. It made him angry and stupid, but it didn’t give him enough power to beat a mere apprentice over at the Temple.

“So, here’s what we’re gonna do. We’re gonna go over maps. We’ll analyze the terrain, set up scouting posts, stockpile weapons and ammunition, and train civilians to defend themselves if they need to. We’re not going to let the Flesh Raiders get the upper hand on you guys.

“As for the Jedi, they owe you big time. I’m gonna do everything I can to make sure that they bend over backwards to make up for all the times they’ve let you down. And if they don’t budge, then I’ll be back here on my own to help you out. Any questions?”

“Why are you doing this for us?” a yellow-skinned woman shouted. “Why bother helping us?”

Faith looked at her straight in the eye. “Because I’ve been where you are. I’ve been helpless, surrounded by enemies and all on my own. Only I wasn’t as alone as I thought I was, but I refused to see it that way. I got help, and I got better. I was able to look out for myself. And this was all before I even knew the Jedi existed. I met a lot of people who needed saving, and I helped ‘em because it had to be done.”

“And what’s to say the Jedi won’t force you to stop helping us?” the woman asked frantically. “How can we be sure you won’t abandon us?”

Faith smiled faintly at the memories that gave context to her experiences, and to what she had to say.

“Because it’s wrong.”

Millionaire

7,050 Points
  • Ultimate Player 200
  • Millionaire 200
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
Wonderful! I loved how you put Buffy with the Sith and Faith with the Jedi's I'll tell you I wasn't expecting that, but how it contradicts what they believe in adds a bit of humor. You captured both exactly right :} thanks for letting me know, it was great reading it! I wouldn't change a thing. -Eve

5,900 Points
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Full closet 200
  • Hygienic 200
HaIIow Eve
Wonderful! I loved how you put Buffy with the Sith and Faith with the Jedi's I'll tell you I wasn't expecting that, but how it contradicts what they believe in adds a bit of humor. You captured both exactly right :} thanks for letting me know, it was great reading it! I wouldn't change a thing. -Eve

Hello there! Thank you so much for your kind words! I hope you'll subscribe to this thread and stay tuned for future updates. It is my sincerest hope that I can continue to deliver more material that you will enjoy.

Thanks Again! ^_^

5,900 Points
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Full closet 200
  • Hygienic 200
Buffy III - Moving On Up

Buffy twirled the practice lightsaber between her fingers, trying to get a feel for a weightless blade. The device shined a harmless and pale light in place of a true blade, and her small quarters now glowed blood red. The practice saber was really no more than a fancy flashlight in practice, but the sensation of the alien weapon was giving Buffy an entirely new appreciation for the Sith.

And also, she supposed, for the Jedi.

Overseer Dalen had been sure to teach Buffy about the Jedi, followed quickly by why they were to be opposed and exterminated. If Buffy was honest with herself, she thought that she would have made a far better Jedi than the Sith she was currently trying to be. She kept telling herself that this was nothing more than a ticket off of Korriban, then back to Faith, and then back home.

There was a knock at her door, which promptly opened. Buffy turned to see Dalen standing there.

“Good. You’re decent. Put that practice saber away and get your war-blade. We’ve been summoned by Darth Arctis.”

Buffy’s eyes widened and she immediately rushed to obey. Anyone with a ‘Darth’ title was among the most powerful Sith in the entire Empire. One did not rise that far through weakness or stupidity.

“Arctis… Why does that name sound familiar?” Buffy pondered aloud.

“Because, Acolyte Summers,” Dalen said impatiently, “he is a member of the Dark Council! In case you’ve forgotten, the Dark Council is made up of the twelve most powerful Sith Lords in the Empire, answerable only to the Emperor himself.”

Buffy tried to mask the fear from her face as she strapped her war-blade to its harness on her back and smoothed out her tunic and pants. “Gotcha. Be respectful, don’t mouth off, caution over boldness.”

“Indeed, Summers. You look smart enough, I suppose. Let’s go.”

Buffy followed Dalen out of her room and walked briskly down the corridors towards the main hall. “Tell me about this guy,” Buffy said. “What can I expect?”

“First of all,” Dalen sneered, “do not ever address a Dark Councilor as ‘this guy’ if you value your life. For this meeting, know that Arctis is pragmatic and intelligent. He values tradition only so far as it supports his own power. He is the head of the Pyramid of Ancient Knowledge; all Sith involved in that field answer to him in some way or another.”

Buffy nodded, regretting it as she got a bit dizzy before heading up the stairs to the second floor of the main hall. She hadn’t even noticed how far they’d gotten while talking. “How many of these pyramids are there?”

“Twelve, one for each Dark Councilor.”

“Gotcha. Do we bow to this g- Sorry. Do we bow to Darth Arctis?”

“It would certainly be prudent to do so, yes. From the waist should suffice. Here we are.”

A pair of masked guards in red robes flanked the door. They each wielded a wicked-looking pike that Buffy had been told was capable of taking down a Sith or a Jedi, as could their wielders. The guards stepped aside to allow Dalen and Buffy to pass through, and they did so.

As Buffy passed through the threshold, she was reminded of the guards outside Buckingham Palace, only more likely to kill you if you tried to get them to talk.

Dalen and Buffy rounded a corner into a large study. Shelves full of tomes and datapads lined the walls, glowing crystals illuminated the room, and a pale human man with graying hair sat facing away from his guests, reading over something on his desk.

Dalen bowed from the waist, and Buffy followed suit.

The man who had to be Darth Arctis spent another two minutes reading whatever it was he had in his hand before rising to greet his guests. “Ah, splendid. You’re here. Do stand up, please.”

Buffy straightened her back slowly, not wanting to offend a guy who could probably swat her without effort. She’d seen Sith the talent to shoot lighting from their fingertips, and the sight never failed to bring back memories of Willow’s dark phase. Having been hit with summoned lightning before, Buffy had no desire to repeat the experience.

Dalen stood with his hands clasped behind his back, legs apart, in what Buffy recognized as ‘at ease’ from her time with Riley. Buffy copied his movements awkwardly.

“I was just reading over some reports of your time here on Korriban, Overseer Dalen. You’ve taken some very radical views, to say the least. You’ve advocated for alien blood in the Empire, saying that all those with strength should add that strength to the Sith. You’ve taken many alien apprentices since you became an Overseer, and while some have gone farther than others on Korriban, not one has survived the trials.”

Dalen said nothing. Buffy looked at Arctis but could not read him. He seemed to be sizing up Dalen, trying to get a reaction out of him.

“You were given other, purer students to oversee in the past year,” Arctis continued. “One of them was a favorite of my fellow Dark Councilor, Darth Vengean. Her name was Jorya, and she came from a proud lineage of warriors. You tried to pass her off to Overseer Harkun, telling Vengean that her talents rested in mastery of the Force’s mysteries rather than physical combat. She would have fallen under my domain had you succeeded, Dalen. Is that why you recommended her to Harkun?”

“No, my Lord,” Dalen said crisply. “It was evident that her skill with a blade was sub-par at best, but her power with the Force was great. She would have made a great sorceress had she been allowed to pursue her true talents.”

“But Vengean wouldn’t allow it," Arctis said. "She was the daughter of one of his allies, and he promised to bring her under his dominion. She died in the sands of Valley of the Dark Lords, devoured by a pack of tuk’ata. Vengean swore that you would never rise above the rank of Overseer for this slight.”

Buffy had no idea what Dalen could say to that without getting himself killed. He merely inclined his head and said, “Yes, my Lord.”

“And now,” Arctis continued, moving to inspect Buffy, “you have taken on a student in some ways more radical than the aliens you would have us teach. This acolyte comes from a world only recently discovered. She has no knowledge of our culture, our history, not even our language. You specifically requested her to be your next acolyte, given that no other Overseer saw a use for her. What is it that you see in Acolyte Summers, Dalen?”

“My Lord, Acolyte Summers is a formidable warrior who shows signs of experience in combat far greater than many full-fledged Sith Lords. Her physical strength, stamina, reflexes, and speed are all superior to other humans, and all of these attributes were in evidence before she accepted the Force into her life. She claims that, at least, and I sense no deception in her. Aside from that, she has a perspective untainted by the Republic’s lies, and I believe that without having lived her life in the Empire, she can view it objectively and change it for the better without the burden of any preconceptions.”

“Indeed,” Arctis said skeptically. “Perhaps she would have made a better apprentice for Darth Vengean. Acolyte Summers,” he said, speaking directly to Buffy for the first time, “you were found on Denova in the middle of a battle between our forces and those of the Republic. Tell me what happened there.”

Buffy looked up and fully examined Darth Arctis for the first time. His skin was unnaturally pale, and his eyes were a strange shade of orange. His hair was white, though he wasn’t balding, and he had a strange scar on one side of his mouth that gave the eerie impression that he was smirking, even without moving a facial muscle.

“Well, my Lord,” Buffy began, trying to remember her place, “I didn’t start on Denova. I was with my friends back home. Home would be a planet called Earth, which I couldn’t tell you where to find. We didn’t have space travel there. One moment, we’re all sitting there and enjoying ourselves. The next, my wacky cousin from England and I are smack dab in the middle of a battlefield on what I guess was Denova. My cousin grabbed a shovel and started beating up some guys in white armor, and I was suddenly bobbing and weaving to avoid laser fire from a bunch of robots of some sort. I got separated from my cousin, and a masked Sith Lord captured me and put me in manacles. I was stuffed in a ship with four, maybe five other prisoners, and taken to Korriban. A bunch of Sith asked me questions, then put me in a cell for a while, and then Overseer Dalen came and started training me.”

“Is that so? Fascinating.” Darth Arctis seemed to be speaking to himself, so Buffy did not say anything. “Most peculiar, and yet I perceive only truth. It seems that I was right to summon you. Your strength and power are clear to me. You light up like a beacon in the Force, calling out to be tested and forged. And I shall give you that opportunity.

“One of my former apprentices, Darth Crush, is foolishly attempting to unseat me. He is building a power base in what he believes to be a subtle manner, but his ploys are obvious to all who bother to look for them. He commands an Overseer here on Korriban who is also his lover: Overseer Falrath. They are currently evaluating acolytes to determine who will become Crush’s next apprentice.

“Dalen, Summers, you will confront Crush and Falrath and execute them for their treason. You are exempt from the normal rules regarding the killing of fellow Sith within the Academy. Do this thing, and you will be rewarded.”

“Thank you, my Lord,” Dalen said, bowing again from the waist.

“Thank you, my Lord,” Buffy echoed, following Dalen’s lead.

“Go now,” Arctis commanded, “and see that my will is done.”

~ ~ ~ ~ ~

“My study, Summers,” Dalen hissed as soon as they were out of Arctis's office. “Now.”

Buffy didn’t question the Overseer. She followed him to his study, where he unlocked an armoire with the Force and summoned a pair of lightsabers to either hand.

“You’ve been working on this for several weeks,” Dalen said, handing Buffy her own handiwork. “I know that it works, but does it feel right in your hands?”

Buffy looked at Dalen, wondering at the concern in his voice. Dalen cut a handsome figure with his dark hair, pale eyes, and hale good looks. Buffy had never been attracted to the Overseer, but there was something appealing about his face and voice right now. It was almost as if he cared for Buffy’s well-being.

Buffy didn’t linger on those thoughts, but activated her lightsaber and felt the glowing red blade in the Force. It did have weight of a sort, just not a physical weight. It wasn’t like the Scythe; she didn’t feel a special ownership of this weapon, but she knew that she could do whatever she needed to with it. It was the right tool for the right job.

Only the right job was murder, and Buffy didn’t know if she could take another life.

“Listen to me Summers,” Dalen said, grabbing her by both shoulders. “I know what you’re feeling. I can practically hear your thoughts screaming. You don’t want to kill another soul. That isn’t how things worked on whatever backwards world you called home. But this is not Denova, nor is it Earth. This is Korriban, and we are Sith. We rise on the backs of our rivals lest they rise atop ours. If you cannot accept this, then I will cut you down right now and take my chances alone. Do you understand what has to be done?”

Whatever Buffy was to Dalen – a path to power, an object of concern, whatever else she might be – he was dead set on making clear to Buffy that the old rules of home did not apply.

She thought about her meeting with Malra and Telran in the tombs, and of her confrontation with Loslar and the twins in the basement. This was a culture of pure Darwinism: the weak would perish and the strong would thrive. There would be no changing that.

Buffy remembered how weak she felt after the Council’s sick test on her eighteenth birthday. She remembered how weak she had felt when Riley had left, when her mom had died, when she was ripped out of heaven, when Tara and even Anya had died. She knew what it was to be weak, and she swore not to be weak like that again.

“I’m with you, Dalen,” she said firmly. Buffy surprised herself at how much she meant it. “Let’s do this.”

“I’ll forgive the informality just this once, Summers,” the Overseer said, but his smile said otherwise. “I’ll lead the way. Back me up. We’ll take them by surprise. Don’t look suspicious in the halls. Tuck your lightsaber into your robe pocket.”

Buffy nodded and did as Dalen instructed, following him through the dark passages of the Sith Academy until they reached an open portal. The room inside was little more than a large recess being used as a makeshift classroom. They took up positions on either side and listened in.

“What about this one, Falrath?” a deep male voice asked. “What makes her worthy to be Sith?”

“Malra knows her place, my Lord,” a rough female voice answered. “She recognizes her betters and serves well. She is not strong enough to be considered for a path to lordship, but there is a place for her in the Empire. Just not as a true Sith.”

“You may be right, Falrath, but I sense great resolve and cunning in this one. Hidden strength, even. Tell me, Acolyte Malra, is Overseer Falrath right about you, or am I?”

“I would be tested to prove my worth, my Lord,” Malra answered.

“Ah, a worthy answer. And you, boy: I sense your lust for this acolyte. What is your name?”

“Telran, my Lord.”

“Do you see a future with a Sith such as this? Perhaps you dream that you will become lovers once you leave Korriban together?”

“The future is mine to create, my Lord,” Telran hissed.

“Good, you know what it means to be Sith. Falrath, you disappoint me. You told me that the one called Loslar was the most promising, yet I do not see a Loslar here. I hear that his family withdrew him, claiming that he was being given assignments unworthy of his station.”

“You are correct, my Lord,” Falrath hissed, and Buffy sensed the female Overseer’s attention shift to Malra and Telran. “He was a known rival of these two.”

“A rival, you say? My reports say he was more of a bully. And his two enforcers, Sappa and Laffa Falos, attempted to forge their task with a false artifact. So sad when pureblooded Sith have to be executed.”

Buffy felt her stomach squirm at the revelation that she’d caused the death of the twin Sith. She reminded herself that this was Korriban, not Earth. The rules were different here.

“These two plotted his death,” Falrath protested. “I know they did!”

“If they did, which has not been proven, then they are true Sith. What would you have me do, Falrath?”

“Kill them both! They dilute the purity of the Sith by culling the strong from our ranks!”

“Oh, at the very least, give them a trial by combat. Acolytes, watch carefully. See how two of your fellows, connected in the Force, fare against a true Sith.”

Buffy sensed Dalen trying to get her attention. She could tell that he wanted to strike at Falrath while she was distracted with Telran and Malra, and Buffy couldn’t deny her urge to put this b***h down.

The snap-hiss of a lightsaber ignited inside the room, and Buffy sensed her two allies making ready to defend themselves.

Dalen charged into the room and stabbed Falrath through the back , landing atop her dead body as it hit the ground. She never knew what hit her

Buffy followed a moment later, making the briefest of eye contact with Telran and Malra. They said nothing with words, but the Force conveyed everything.

Soon, the bald, red-skinned Sith male was against the wall, lightsaber out, defending himself from an onslaught from all sides.

As Dalen went high, Buffy went low, and Malra and Telran jabbed at Darth Crush from either of his flanks.

The Dark Lord held his own long enough to summon a wave of Force energy that threw the four attackers backward.

All four landed on their feet, clearly ready to attack again

“Acolytes! Defend me!” Crush yelled desperately.

None of the other students rose to move a muscle. They sensed Darth Crush’s weakness, and they knew he was doomed to fall one way or another.

Dalen rose his lightsaber and moved to bring it down upon Crush.

Before he could block, Buffy pushed Crush’s sword arm away from his body, leaving him exposed.

Memories of what she had done to Caleb years earlier echoed through Buffy’s mind as she gazed upon Darth Crush’s dead body, bisected and cauterized by Dalen's lightsaber.

Buffy saw an opportunity to establish herself in the Sith hierarchy. “Darth Crush was a traitor," she said with more confidence than she felt. "His execution was warranted by Darth Arctis of the Dark Council. Acolytes Telran and Malra, stay here and make sure the rest of your fellow students don’t do anything stupid before the proper authorities come in to clean this up.”

Dalen stepped in to resume a position of authority. “Do as my apprentice commands!”

“Yes, my Lord,” the two lovers said as one before proceeding to get the other acolytes into proper shape.

“Someone will return for you shortly,” Dalen said. “Until then, none of you is to leave this room. Come, apprentice.”

Dalen strode out of the room, and Buffy followed. Dalen was heading back towards Darth Arctis’s study, Buffy noted.

“I thought that apprentices were only given to full Sith Lords,” Buffy remarked.

“And yet, you clearly heard them address me as ‘my Lord’ back there,” Dalen said with a smile. “You did very well back there, Summers. I do not exaggerate when I say that you are the best student I have ever had the privilege to teach.”

Buffy smiled in return. “I would never have gotten as far as I have without your support, Overseer.” When Dalen looked ready to protest, Buffy added, “You’re not a Lord just yet, remember?”

Dalen chuckled. “We’ll see.”

~ ~ ~ ~ ~

“Splendid, splendid. The traitors are dealt with, and a new clutch of promising acolytes is ready to follow your lead, and though you they shall follow me.”

Darth Arctis did look and sound quite pleased, and yet he still gave Buffy chills.

“Overseer Dalen, for your service to the Empire, you are granted the title of Lord of the Sith, with all the privileges and responsibilities that entails.”

Dalen bowed to Arctis. “Thank you, my Lord.”

“Many Sith,” Arctis said, “choose a new name upon gaining Lordship. Something to symbolize what they have become. What will your name be?”

“Shar Dalen is my name, my Lord. It will suffice.”

Darth Arctis chuckled. “Very well, Lord Dalen. As a Lord, you may now take an apprentice of your own. Do I assume correctly that Acolyte Summers is to be that apprentice?”

“Yes, my Lord,” Dalen said proudly. “Acolyte Summers, you are to be my apprentice. You will learn the ways of the Force under me. Your trials here on Korriban are over, and a new set of tests out in the galaxy proper await you.”

Buffy decided that it was now proper to bow before Dalen. “Thank you, my Lord.”

“And now,” Darth Arctis said, “there is one final matter to attend to.” He pressed a button on his desk. “Send them in.”

Buffy heard footsteps and saw Telran and Malra coming down the hall, bowing to Arctis’s when they entered.

“These are the two acolytes who aided you in battle, correct?” Arctis asked.

“Yes, my Lord,” Dalen said. “Darth Crush thought they had potential. Falrath disagreed.”

“Indeed,” Arctis said. “Summers, what do you think?”

Buffy looked Arctis in the eye, and she could tell that he knew about her earlier partnership with them. “They proved themselves useful,” Buffy said as coolly as she could, hoping not to reveal too much to Arctis. “They could be worthy assets.”

“Is that so? Do you agree Dalen?”

“It is too soon to say for certain, my Lord, but I am inclined to agree with my apprentice.”

“Hm. Well, I do not agree,” Arctis said coolly. “They have been tainted by Darth Crush’s ideals, and are unfit to live any longer. Kill them, Summers.”

Buffy paled and felt her heart catch in her chest. If this was what the most powerful of Sith were, then she had no desire to be Sith at all.

Telran and Malra clearly disagreed. Their blades were out in an instant, and they were perfectly ready to kill Buffy to defend themselves.

Buffy felt the Force channeling itself through her body as her lightsaber ignited in her hand and cut through both acolytes in one blow, killing them instantly.

Buffy gasped in shock at her own actions, at what she had done on pure instinct. She hadn't even thought about killing anyone, but somehow the Force had defended her.

Telling herself that did not ease Buffy's horrified conscience one bit.

Darth Arctis laughed and clapped slowly behind her. “Ah, yes. You have to learn, Summers, that all things are temporary. Your little dalliance with those two could have grown into something too large to control. I had to end it before it started you see? Thankfully, you proved compliant.”

Buffy felt her rage simmer inside her. The cruelty and barbarity of this man was too great to fathom.

“Good, good. I can feel your anger, your rage, boiling just beneath the surface. You want very much to kill me, don’t you Summers? Be truthful, now.”

“I am going to see you rot in hell,” Buffy snarled.

This only amused Arctis further, and he kept laughing. “Ah, this is good. She has a fire in her, Dalen. She will make a truly powerful Sith. Train her well, or risk my displeasure. Go now and seek arrangements on Dromund Kaas. I will give you further instructions once you arrive.”

“Yes, my Lord,” Dalen said. He did not bow before he turned to leave.

Buffy looked at the dead bodies of her two allies – had they been friends? – on the ground, and then shot a murderous glare back at Darth Arctis.

“Apprentice!” Dalen shouted. “Follow!”

Buffy kept her eyes on Arctis, silently swearing revenge. “Yes, my Lord,” she said quietly, following Dalen out of the room.

Dalen did not say a word to her as they walked to the shuttle, and Buffy did not say anything back to him. At one point, he caught her gaze, and Buffy felt something in the Force. What it was, exactly, she could not say, but she felt Dalen’s support in at least one matter.

Darth Arctis, whether by their hands or another’s, would die for what he had done.

5,900 Points
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Full closet 200
  • Hygienic 200
Faith III - What Needs Doing

“So, let me get this straight,” Faith said to Master Ralto. “After all the s**t the pilgrims have been through, you’re gonna tell them who can and can’t have weapons? These people need to defend themselves.”

“Tython is strong in the Force,” Ralto explained patiently. “The Force can influence the weak-minded in subtle ways. The Jedi only want to ensure that the Twi’leks are properly equipped to deal with the dangers of this world. If the wrong people are given the wrong tools… Well, you saw what happened with that relic.”

“I was pretty close to it, and I didn’t feel anything strange,” Faith said. “And you’re dodging the point, which is that almost all of the pilgrims are ‘weak-minded’ to you. You Jedi think you’re so much better than everyone else, don’t you? You have the Force, so that gives you the right to decide who lives and who dies. Is that it?!”

“Calm yourself, Padawan,” Ralto said with a touch of impatience. “There is no passion, there is serenity.”

“Tell that to the Twi’leks who can’t defend themselves against the Flesh Raiders. Tell them that there is no death. They. Aren’t. Jedi! You can’t expect everyone on Tython to play by your rules just because you got here first!”

“That’s enough, Padawan Lehane!” Ralto said firmly. “I think your time could be better spent on other matters. Return to your quarters and meditate in silence for the next two hours.”

Faith squashed down the urge to yank Ralto around by his head tresses and simply left the room without another word.

She did not go to her quarters, though. She needed to work out, and the grounds in front of the Jedi Temple had combat droids to train against.

Walking up to the programming podium, Faith set the droids to level three: midway between weakest and strongest.

Four bipedal droids unfolded. Two had blasters, and another two had vibroswords.

Faith charged the left blaster-wielding droid, deflecting its blasts and cut it in half. With a push of the Force, she slammed one sword-wielding droid into the other, knocking them both to the ground, no longer functional.

Faith took hold of her practice sword like a spear and threw it straight at the final droid, penetrating its metal head and sending it tumbling to the ground in a shower of sparks.

Retrieving her blade, Faith decided to make her way back to Kalikori Village. It had been weeks since she’d first promised aid, but the Jedi hadn’t delivered. She’d been doing the best she could to train the civilians in swordplay on her own, but it wasn’t much. The pilgrims were still grateful, and Faith would be damned if she let that gratitude be for nothing.

Faith’s holo-communicator beeped, and she activated it to see a young Twi’lek woman talking to her. It was the new matriarch, Ranna Tao’Ven. Her mother, the old matriarch, had recently died. Kolovish was a separate entity, holding the title in a different manner.

“Matriarch, I was just on my way to the village. What’s up?”

“One of our warriors just returned, gravely injured," Ranna said. "He was in a band of seven, and only he survived. He said that a lone Flesh Raider killed his companions and gravely injured him.”

“One Flesh Raider did that?” Faith asked. “I didn’t think they were smart enough to take on so many at once. Or should that be dumb enough?”

“I don't know, Faith," Ranna said fearfully. "Whatever it was feeling, this Flesh Raider had a lightsaber.”

“What?! Matriarch, please tell me you’re kidding.”

“I wish that I was. Faith, you have to help us. The Jedi have turned their backs on us, all save for you. Please, help us, Faith Lehane. You’re our only hope.”

Faith wriggled a bit at the pressure being put on her, but she wasn’t going to let anything else happen to this village. “All right. I’ll be right there. Faith out.”

Calling on the Force to invigorate her, Faith rushed with great speed through the mountain pass toward Kalikori Village.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~

Faith arrived at the medical hut, where a concerned-looking female Twi’lek let her inside.

Walking over to the bloody bedside, Faith crouched next to the blue-skinned male Twi’lek and had to suppress a gasp. His left lekku – his head tendril – had been sliced off completely. Faith knew just enough about Twi’lek biology to know that lekku were both erogenous zones and part of the nervous system. This warrior had to be in unimaginable pain.

“Hey there,” Faith said in what she hoped sounded soothing and friendly. “What’s your name?”

“Raln,” the warrior groaned. “I know you, Faith. Can you stop this monster?”

“If I don’t, I’ll die trying.”

“Thank you,” Raln said, his breath clenching.

“Easy there. Come on, work with me, here,” Faith said. She knew the Force could heal someone, and she had meditated to heal herself, but could she heal another person?

“Take my hand. It’s okay, trust me.” Faith concentrated and tried to clear her mind. She tried to see herself and Raln in the Force. She tried to transfer a bit of her own energy to him, and she gestured with the Force to ease his pain.”

“Ah,” he sighed. “I don’t know what you did, but thank you. The pain is less.”

“I don’t really know what I did,” Faith admitted. “I just did it.”

“Regardless, thank you. I will help you if I can.”

“Just rest,” Faith said. “Tell me what you know about this Flesh Raider. Don’t rush it, take your time.”

“It was larger than the others. And it spoke. Not with a growl or anything feral. It sounded intelligent, and it had a small army of Flesh Raiders behind it. It took us on because it wanted to, not because it had to.”

“All right. You’re doing great, Raln. Can you tell me where this Flesh Raider army was headed?”

“They took a path leading away from the village. They’re not coming here. That path only leads to the Jedi Temple.”

“Damn! You gotta be kidding me!” Faith exclaimed.

“I wish I wasn't. But he did not call it the Jedi Temple. He called it the ‘Sanctuary of the Ashla.’ I don’t know what he means, other than that Ashla is one of Tython’s moons.”

“I remember that lesson,” Faith said. “Before there were Jedi or Sith, the people here on Tython only knew about the Force. They called the light side ‘Ashla’ and the dark side ‘Bogan’ after the moons.”

Faith stood up. “This is so above my pay grade. I gotta go warn the Jedi.”

“Will they listen to you, Faith?” a green-skinned medic asked. “They who trivialize the suffering of our people? They who marginalize your efforts to help us? They will see you as a raving lunatic, trying to rally support for a lost cause.”

Faith shook her head. “No, this is too big. Trust me, they won’t ignore this.”

~ ~ ~ ~ ~

“So, you’re just going to ignore this?!”

“Faith,” Master Ralto said in that increasingly annoying patient voice of his, “nothing we have seen indicates that the Flesh Raiders are in any way intelligent. None of them have the skill to build a lightsaber, and if they did, they could not use one.”

“Fine. What about the army coming to destroy the ‘Sanctuary of the Ashla?’”

“The pilgrims have studied Tython’s history just as we have, some alongside us. This was probably nothing more than a nightmare after a traumatic battle. If his lekku was indeed severed, then he cannot possibly be coherent.”

“This is just…” Faith threw up her hands in disgust. “You Jedi are useless. If you won’t do something about this, then I will.”

“Do not act out in anger, Padawan!” Ralto warned.

“Anger? This isn’t me angry, Master Ralto. This is me trying to save your sorry a**! Get out of my way.”

Shoving herself past Ralto, Faith stormed off, making ready to head off the Flesh Raiders.

“Padawan Faith!”

Faith turned to see Satele Shan heading towards her. “Master, now is really not a good time.”

“I’m sorry, but this is an urgent matter. Please, come with me.”

Faith shook her head and followed Satele quietly, keeping her angry thoughts to herself.

The Grand Master led her to a small enclave where the glowing green relic from the village sat on a table.

“We’ve been working to try and figure out this device, but it won’t respond to any of us, and I think I know why.”

“What’s your theory, professor?” Faith quipped.

Satele ignored Faith’s insubordination. “This relic bears markings that the Republic has only seen in one other place: the Star Forge, which was an ancient factory from an alien empire that predates the Republic. That empire was a thing of the Dark Side. As Jedi, we are simply incompatible with it.”

Faith got the gist. “But you thought, ‘Hey, maybe the crazy chick who’ll never be a true Jedi might just be dark enough to figure the thing out.’ That about right?”

“Inelegantly put, but essentially yes,” Satele said.

Faith was taken aback by the Grand Master’s honesty, and she surprisingly found herself liking Satele Shan more for it. “So, how does it work?”

“We don’t know,” Satele said. “We’ve tried reaching out with the Force to touch every inch of the cube, inside and out. Nothing.”

“Fine, let me take a look,” Faith said impatiently.

Before anyone could stop her, she had picked up the cube and had begun to look it over. There were three buttons that she could see, each one on a different face of the cube. One had a horizontal line on it, another had a T shape adorning it, and the third had an H-like shape on it.

“One line,” Faith said, pushing the dashed button, which received an audible beep. “Two lines,” she said a she pushed the T-button. “Three lines,” she finished, pushing the H-button.

As surge of visible energy shot out of the cube and into Faith’s head, which swam with visions.

Faith saw Tython as it had been millennia ago, when the first Force-users came to study there. They divided into followers of Ashla and Bogan – light and dark – and thus began the Force Wars. The followers of Ashla triumphed, and the followers of Bogan retreated into the ruins of Kaleth, where the spirits of fallen warriors still lingered.

A web of the Force spread across the galaxy, and Faith saw that this cube – this datacron, it was called – was linked to several others on so many different worlds all across the galaxy. Through this web of the Force, she saw another datacron on Tython. Not far away, across a river, was a Flesh Raider with a lightsaber leading an army. In the Force, Faith saw not a Flesh Raider, but a fallen warrior of Bogan, still vengeful after so many years.

The visions receded, and Faith was once again in the Jedi Temple, holding the datacron in her hands.

“Faith? What just happened?” Satele asked.

“A vision,” Faith said. “It showed me the Force Wars. It’s called a datacron, and it’s a little block of information. There’s tons like it all over the galaxy. And it showed me a Flesh Raider with a lightsaber, leading an army of other Flesh Raiders. The one in the lead is possessed by the spirit of a dead warrior from the ruins of Kaleth. They’re heading here, and they’ve already killed a bunch of Twi’lek pilgrims.”

“Are you absolutely sure, Faith?" Satele asked. "Are you positive that this vision isn't being influenced by your feelings for the Twi'leks?"

“Don't. Even. Start," Faith hissed. "You've all blinded yourself to the obvious! Jedi are supposed to protect people, but you ration that care to the ‘worthy’ and leave the Twi’leks to fend for themselves. So they seek out their own power, leading them to this datacron. They’re unprepared only because you didn’t prepare them, but they’re okay now. They’re still getting slaughtered, but that’s not your problem. And because you couldn’t figure out how to push a ******** button, you had to bring in the dumb, backwater hick from Earth to bail you out!”

Satele did not recoil from Faith’s verbal onslaught, but Faith sensed the Grand Master's unease.

“If you’ll excuse me, Master,” Faith said sarcastically, “I have a Temple to defend.”

~ ~ ~ ~

Faith stood in the middle of a creek that the Flesh Raider army would have to wade through in order to reach the Jedi Temple. She’d learned enough meditation techniques – both on Earth and in the Temple – to know that it would be a good idea to prepare for the coming battle.

She sat cross-legged, hovering in midair, clearing her mind of distractions. And then she felt them coming.

Opening her eyes, Faith unfolded her legs and tried to tune out the water seeping into her boots. A large Flesh Raider was at the front of an army of about seventy other Flesh Raiders, and it held a blue lightsaber in its right hand.

“You!” it said in an angry male voice. “Are you Bogan or Ashla?”

“What? You can’t tell just be sensing me?” Faith shouted back

“I sense both in you, young one, but where your true allegiance lies, I cannot tell. Join me, and through Bogan, we will rule this world, and every other after it.”

“Nah, I don’t think that’s gonna work out," Faith said calmly with a smirk. "I think I’m gonna kill you, and then your army’s gonna disband when they see how thoroughly I thrash you, and then the day will be saved, cut to commercial, roll credits.”

“Bah! You speak nonsense. Are you challenging me?”

“Sure am. Come and get some, big boy.”

With a roar of rage, the possessed Flesh Raider leaped at Faith, who was not expecting a hulking, hammer-headed beast with sharp teeth to come hurtling towards her with such speed.

Faith leaped to the side, letting the Bogan warrior land heavily in the ground.

Knowing her strengths – speed and agility – Faith danced around the beast with her practice sword, trying to draw out the fight and exhaust her opponent. She was not doing much damage to its tough hide. That was all right, Faith told herself, so long as it all ended well.

“You are pitiful, warrior of Ashla!” it mocked her. “You think you can best me?”

A glint of something in the sunlight caught Faith’s eye, and she moved to the side, trying to get the possessed Flesh Raider into just the right position.

“Maybe, maybe not," Faith said. "You’re a tough one, or at least you like to think you are. I’m betting you’re compensating for something. You probably had a tiny d**k centuries ago, and I bet its even smaller now, eh, tough guy?”

“You dare…?”

“Yeah, I dare.” Faith sidestepped again, and the Flesh Raider followed suit. “What’re you gonna do about it. I’m just a poor, weak, human girl, and you’re a big strong, Flesh Raider manly man.”

Another sidestep. “Come on. Just try me,” Faith said with a smirk.

The possessed warrior roared with rage, holding still just long enough for an arrow to pierce its head.

Faith looked to the hilltop where she saw a blue-skinned Twi’lek archer, and she gave him a quick salute with two fingers.

The Bogan warrior wasn’t giving up, but he wasn’t recovering, either. “You… cannot… win! I… am…”

With a burst of blue energy, the warrior exploded, sending shockwaves of blue Force energy through the river valley before receding into an empty loincloth, next to which was the hild of a lightsaber.

Faith strode over confidently to her vanquished enemy's weapon, picked it up, and turned it on. It wasn’t anything like a metal blade. It had no physical substance, no actual weight, but she could feel the blue blade in the Force.

Looking at the Flesh Raider army, she pointed the lightsaber straight at them and smirked.

“Run.”

And they did just that, breaking formation and fleeing back into the mountains.

Faith heard a speeder rounding the bend from the direction of the Jedi Temple, and Masters Shan, Ralto, and half a dozen others leaped out of the vehicle and headed for Faith.

“Took ya long enough,” Faith said. “Believe me now?”

“Definitely,” Master Shan said. “It seems that we were too caught up in our preconceptions that we forgot a crucial part of the Jedi Code. We assumed we were knowledgeable, and we forgot the possibility that we could be ignorant. We all felt the shockwave. I have no idea how you took down a trained soldier from the Force Wars, but we are in your debt.”

“Hey, I had plenty of help.” Faith waved at the hillside, and the Twi’lek archer came down the hill.

“Hey, Gaspal! You feeling better now? Delusions from the datacron all gone?”

“Yes, Faith. Thanks to you, we can all rest a bit easier now.”

“You remember Gaspal, right?” Faith said to the Jedi. “The ‘weak-minded’ Twi’lek who stumbled upon that datacron? Turns out he’s got some wicked skills with a bow. He took down the bad guy while I had him distracted. Teamwork for the win, right?”

Gaspal smiled weakly, clearly uneasy in the presence of so many Jedi. “Something like that, yes.”

“Let me see that lightsaber,” Master Ralto said. “Please.”

“Since you asked so nicely,” Faith said with a smile, handing the Nautolan the weapon.

“This,” Ralto said with disbelief. “This is ancient. The design is simple, definitely a precursor to the modern lightsaber. It must have been lying in the ruins of Kaleth for ages.”

“And now, it is yours,” Satele said, taking it from Ralto and handing it back to Faith. “You’ve more than earned this. Your skill in combat, your wisdom, and your compassion all do you great credit. I see no reason why you should remain a Padawan learner.”

“I agree,” Ralto said. “I am not proud to admit my mistakes, but I will gladly acknowledge an exceptional student when I see her. Well done, Jedi Faith.”

Faith stood with her mouth hanging open, taken aback. “Thanks, I guess, but I didn’t really do anything all that great. I just did what had to be done, y’know?”

“And yet, you were the only one among us who was willing to do what had to be done,” Satele said gently. “The Jedi Order needs more like you, Faith, who will do the right thing even when it isn’t easy, or even apparent.”

“Thank you, Master,” Faith said, meaning the respectful title she gave Satele Shan. “Really, thank you.”

“You’re very welcome. I would like you to remain with Master Ralto for a time, traveling with him and helping him throughout the galaxy, if you have no objections.”

“No, that’s cool.”

“Excellent,” Ralto said. “I have to talk to the Galactic Senate about recent developments, including Denova, which you can give answers about. We leave for Coruscant on the morning shuttle. Go pack your things, Jedi Faith.”

“Roger that, Master Ralto.”

~ ~ ~ ~ ~

Faith sat in the back of the small shuttle, wondering what Coruscant would be like. She’d heard it called a planet-wide city, but such a thing didn’t compute with her. She simply wondered idly in the otherwise empty shuttle.

She felt the shift from artificial gravity back to normal, planetary G-forces, and Faith stood up and stretched. It was about time.

The ramp lowered, and Faith walked out of the shuttle…

…and into a familiar apartment that all rational logic told her had been buried in a giant crater.

“Faith!”

She turned around with a start. “Buffy?”

“We need to talk.”

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out