Welcome to Gaia! ::

Feral Flatterer

FFnet is my first love (not counting Quizilla... Quizilla is like the ex that you try to forget you even dated) so I'll always have a soft spot for that site. However, AO3's community is a lot nicer and (so far) they don't pull any cheap shots like shitting all over your work by placing ads for someone else's stuff or any other d**k moves like that. They give more meaningful feedback as opposed to "update more" or "I liked it", etc. The only downside is that it's not as established as FFnet, so you don't see as much traffic. It's getting there, though.

Versatile Receiver

17,575 Points
  • Falling For You 25
  • Somebody Likes You 100
  • Married 100
Ensavondel
Renkon Root
I was actually trying to debate which site I wanted to post on, I really like being able to change the story size/bg to black on FF but AO3's layout and community seems waaay better.

Still on the waiting list for AO3 tho so I'd either hold off on my story or post on both eventually.

Why not both? I still post on both even though AO3 is the better site as far as user-friendliness, execution, and administration. But ff.n has a larger user base so there are going to be more things to read there and more readers to read your own works. However, ff.n does not allow RPF (real person fics) so you can't post band fics there.

Versatile Receiver

17,575 Points
  • Falling For You 25
  • Somebody Likes You 100
  • Married 100
Violent Crow
The only downside is that it's not as established as FFnet, so you don't see as much traffic. It's getting there, though.

This is actually one of the things I both love and hate about AO3. The low traffic is due in great part to the waiting list before you join. The waiting process helps sift through and weed-out the authors who post spam-fics or leave hollow comments. Most of the types of people who do those behaviors don't have the patience to wait three months to do the things they do. But its a double edged sword because that same waiting period is also chasing away good authors who are either intimidated by the long wait or the "commitment" it implies.

Feral Flatterer

Renkon Root
Violent Crow
The only downside is that it's not as established as FFnet, so you don't see as much traffic. It's getting there, though.

This is actually one of the things I both love and hate about AO3. The low traffic is due in great part to the waiting list before you join. The waiting process helps sift through and weed-out the authors who post spam-fics or leave hollow comments. Most of the types of people who do those behaviors don't have the patience to wait three months to do the things they do. But its a double edged sword because that same waiting period is also chasing away good authors who are either intimidated by the long wait or the "commitment" it implies.

Is the waiting period long this time around? I joined in December last year (I think...) and it took less than a day for them to accept me. Hm. I probably applied during a slow period.

But I agree. The downside about AO3 is that you don't get as much feedback as you do with FFnet, however the content of the feedback is generally of a higher quality. It also kind of feels like the AO3 users have a higher average age or general maturity level. I haven't seen the amount of entitlement on AO3 that I see on FFnet every time I log into that site. AO3 definitely has way less drama in regard to flames and/or authors that you just want to shake. lol

Feral Flatterer

Ensavondel
Renkon Root

I was actually trying to debate which site I wanted to post on, I really like being able to change the story size/bg to black on FF but AO3's layout and community seems waaay better.

Still on the waiting list for AO3 tho so I'd either hold off on my story or post on both eventually.

I'm totally butting in and being annoying here. emotion_yatta

You should definitely post your story on both sites. It's not much in regard to maintenance. Trust me, I'm pretty lazy when it comes to my writing so if I can keep track of both sites, it should be a cake walk for you. DeviantArt, however... Totally different story. I deleted my account on there because I wanted to throw my computer every time I went to post a chapter since it's not very "user friendly" to old fogies like myself.

Anyway, although I hate on FFnet's community for the most part (which I shouldn't, since I've met a lot of nice people on there and met one of my closest friends on that site) you'll get more exposure on that front. I only made an AO3 account because I wanted to see what all the hubbub was about and because my writing kind of toes the line in regard to violence, so it's my backup if I inadvertently cross that line on FFnet and wind up getting my stuff removed. sweatdrop

Versatile Receiver

17,575 Points
  • Falling For You 25
  • Somebody Likes You 100
  • Married 100
Violent Crow
it's my backup if I inadvertently cross that line on FFnet and wind up getting my stuff removed. sweatdrop
I wouldn't worry about it. I have a number of fics that violate the ff.n content limits and none of them have been taken down yet. In fact, one of them gets a lot of attention and I'm always getting reviews and messages to continue it. To the best of my knowledge no one has reported it and we all know the moderators might not even take action even if it was reported. The moderators are in a state of almost perpetual MIA on that site.

Sparkly Strawberry

Violent Crow

No worries, I like hearing input from different perspective so it's not annoying at all.

I like AO3 because you can post more mature stuff than you can on FF. But you're right about posting on both sites, it really couldn't hurt.
Been spending most of the day rewriting stuff for my story, though I hit a snag and kinda stopped right at the end of chapter 1. Oh how I dread writers block. crying

Renkon Root

I'd probably only not put something up on AO3 if it was really graphic but I have also seen some pretty heavy stuff on there that's been up for years.

Feral Flatterer

Renkon Root
Violent Crow
it's my backup if I inadvertently cross that line on FFnet and wind up getting my stuff removed. sweatdrop
I wouldn't worry about it. I have a number of fics that violate the ff.n content limits and none of them have been taken down yet. In fact, one of them gets a lot of attention and I'm always getting reviews and messages to continue it. To the best of my knowledge no one has reported it and we all know the moderators might not even take action even if it was reported. The moderators are in a state of almost perpetual MIA on that site.

Yeah, what's the deal with the mods? FFnet is the only site I've come across where they seem to wait ages to act on anything before doing a mass purge that leaves their userbase disoriented. I think they might actually sort out plagiarism issues when they're brought up and that's about it. Still, I'm pretty paranoid. I would be less than pleased if something I worked on for ages got taken down. Not like I don't have backups, but still.

Feral Flatterer

Ensavondel
No worries, I like hearing input from different perspective so it's not annoying at all.

I like AO3 because you can post more mature stuff than you can on FF. But you're right about posting on both sites, it really couldn't hurt.
Been spending most of the day rewriting stuff for my story, though I hit a snag and kinda stopped right at the end of chapter 1. Oh how I dread writers block. crying

Ooh... Good luck with the writer's block! But yeah, I agree about liking AO3 because you get more freedom to write what you want without having to look over your shoulder for mods (not like I do anything "illegal" or try to break rules on FFnet... I'm a good noodle!). Anyway, I'll stop pestering you and I'll let ya get back to work. Happy writing! emotion_bigheart

Feisty Lionheart

I started on the ff.net, but have since then also found AO3, which I am slowly starting to love more and more. Either way, it's thanks to ff.net that I realized I don't hate fanfics after all... Both reading and writing. I normally am not that much into anime/manga fanfics in general, as those are what kept me ignorant for all those years, not knowing how amazing writers and stories there are out there...

shivacuce's Wife

ninja
Has anyone sent a request to add characters, before? I've sent emails, but none have been responded to. <n> That was a few weeks ago. //sigh//

Versatile Receiver

17,575 Points
  • Falling For You 25
  • Somebody Likes You 100
  • Married 100
varicolored verity
Has anyone sent a request to add characters, before? I've sent emails, but none have been responded to. <n> That was a few weeks ago. //sigh//

You mean, like, submitting OCs to be written into someone's fic? Or requesting specific canon characters appear in a fic?

I can't say I've ever made those kinds of requests. But I have received them from a time to time. When I was very active in the Young Justice fandom, I got at least one request to feature people's OCs per story. That is the only fandom I've been in where it happened a lot. It happened so much, in fact, that I started to feel like the only person who didn't have an OC to whore out. In my current fandom (Ben 10) nobody's messaged me about OCs. But plenty of people have requested specific character from canon to have role in my fics.

Merry Traveler

what is this about AO3 I heard about? hmm...I think I will try that place
I have been looking for a place to read fanfiction
ff.net is blocked in my area * made rude gesture at minister of information*
so many site blocking that made no sense...

Versatile Receiver

17,575 Points
  • Falling For You 25
  • Somebody Likes You 100
  • Married 100
So, on ff.n they've changed the cover images to be more squared when they used to be more rectangular and they've changed profile pictures to be more rectangular when they used to be squares. WHY? What is the point of that? Now every single image I have on there looks weird! My story covers have titles cut off, my profile image is now missing parts of the frame. Everythong looks wrong! Why did you do this, FanFiction.Net? WHAT IS THE POINT!?
Question~ does anyone here have a Wattpad account? I made one recently, but i'm not sure if they allow NSFW content, and if they don't, how strict are they on that policy? I mean AO3 is very lenient, FF.N doesn't care unless it's reported...

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff