Welcome to Gaia! ::

Dapper Poster

hi everyone, i posted two pages before this and i think i'll frequent this thread, so get used to seeing me, heh.
Prolly Naut
Hi there. (°ロ°)☝

Has anyone else been having issues trying to log in to their account or submitting a review for the past few days?

I'd really like to be able to review and update my own stories again.
'ello!

...it's been fine for me.

have you tried a different browser?

Utziel
What do you guys thing about OCs?
I actually really want to write a fanfiction with one or two OCs in it, but I know people really hate them a lot. I just have so many ideas, and I can't use the main characters without making them severely out of character. D;
it really depends on whether or not the oc is actually realistic or not.

most people immediately avoid oc-oriented fic's because of bad experiences. but i've loved many involving oc's because the characters were actually interesting, believable and most importantly; relatable.

if i like the character, i'll read about them. it's that simple.

make sure you're making an original character - not a self-insert - and everything should be a-okay. but if they're the focus, be prepared to not have as many read them just from (completely understandable) apprehension.

also, to everyone, i'm curious.

answer honestly; do you write fanfictions with the intent on getting reviews? do you write only for the satisfaction you get when someone comments on your stories or favourites them? or do you write just because you want to?

because there's all of those people that write just to cater to the 'general audience' and then there's those oddballs that are excellent and have absolutely no reviews because of how obscure their pairings/fandom/plot is.
Zlae

answer honestly; do you write fanfictions with the intent on getting reviews? do you write only for the satisfaction you get when someone comments on your stories or favourites them? or do you write just because you want to?

because there's all of those people that write just to cater to the 'general audience' and then there's those oddballs that are excellent and have absolutely no reviews because of how obscure their pairings/fandom/plot is.

I don't really write to cater to the general audience, because there are enough of those; I either write for myself or for a friend, and I only write what I want to. I do make sure that it's at least publishable before posting it though.

My two oneshots were presents for someone. I wrote them for someone else. The most recent is pretty good, but would fall into the "oddballs that are excellent and have absolutely no reviews because of how obscure their pairings/fandom/plot is" category. I'm cool with that, since the person I wrote it for was happy with it.

I don't write for the satisfaction of getting reviews, but that is a bonus, I will admit. But writing is something I (mostly) do for myself. And getting published, but that's another story.

Dapper Poster

Kitsune No Tsubasa
Zlae

I don't really write to cater to the general audience, because there are enough of those; I either write for myself or for a friend, and I only write what I want to. I do make sure that it's at least publishable before posting it though.

My two oneshots were presents for someone. I wrote them for someone else. The most recent is pretty good, but would fall into the "oddballs that are excellent and have absolutely no reviews because of how obscure their pairings/fandom/plot is" category. I'm cool with that, since the person I wrote it for was happy with it.

I don't write for the satisfaction of getting reviews, but that is a bonus, I will admit. But writing is something I (mostly) do for myself. And getting published, but that's another story.
interesting.

i'm generally the same though i wouldn't call myself excellent in terms of writing for enjoyment rather than recognition or praise. though i do admit, i smile when i get a review regardless. (not that i have many, but i only joined around ten days ago.)

but making sure that it's presentable/publishable and able to understand should be common courtesy, really; i can't read things when they're writen liek this1!!!one!1.

that's nice of you to write for people! i've never done that before, but that's more from lack of confidence, hah.

getting published? you hope to?
Zlae
Kitsune No Tsubasa
Zlae

interesting.

i'm generally the same though i wouldn't call myself excellent in terms of writing for enjoyment rather than recognition or praise. though i do admit, i smile when i get a review regardless. (not that i have many, but i only joined around ten days ago.)

but making sure that it's presentable/publishable and able to understand should be common courtesy, really; i can't read things when they're writen liek this1!!!one!1.

that's nice of you to write for people! i've never done that before, but that's more from lack of confidence, hah.

Yup. I also write originals, and I'm proofing one right now to send out to get published/rejected. Fanfic is something so others can read my writing, at least until I do get published. And it's fun.

Alas, I wish it was common courtesy to make it readable at least. I, too, cannot (and will not) read anything where the author decided that it would be rad to make up new spellings for words.

One was a birthday present, and the other was a lemon trade. My friend would write me a lemon in my favourite pairing if I wrote one in his. It was fun, and a bit different from what I would write otherwise biggrin .

Dapper Poster

Kitsune No Tsubasa
Zlae
Kitsune No Tsubasa
Zlae

interesting.

Yup. I also write originals, and I'm proofing one right now to send out to get published/rejected. Fanfic is something so others can read my writing, at least until I do get published. And it's fun.

Alas, I wish it was common courtesy to make it readable at least. I, too, cannot (and will not) read anything where the author decided that it would be rad to make up new spellings for words.

One was a birthday present, and the other was a lemon trade. My friend would write me a lemon in my favourite pairing if I wrote one in his. It was fun, and a bit different from what I would write otherwise biggrin .
ah okay, good luck in getting published!

yeah, it sure would make reading things a hell of a lot easier. i can't stand seeing typo's, my mind just doesn't let me forget them. but the thing i hate the most is probably when people confuse there/their/they're and to/too/two.

haha i've never written lemon, i have a rather unusual style of writing, so lemon wouldn't work with how i write. still, i wish i could have story trades with my friends, it sounds fun.
Zlae
Kitsune No Tsubasa
Zlae
Kitsune No Tsubasa
Zlae

interesting.

yeah, it sure would make reading things a hell of a lot easier. i can't stand seeing typo's, my mind just doesn't let me forget them. but the thing i hate the most is probably when people confuse there/their/they're and to/too/two.

haha i've never written lemon, i have a rather unusual style of writing, so lemon wouldn't work with how i write. still, i wish i could have story trades with my friends, it sounds fun.

I'm curious, how wouldn't lemon work with your writing style? Lemon is, in the end, writing the characters doing something. You just wanna make it hot. Writing style is just how you write it.

I hate stupid spelling errors, apostrophes where there shouldn't be, and of course, the dreaded homonym/homophone confusion. And bad grammar.

I probably wouldn't story trade with any of my friends RL, because I'm pretty much the only person of my friends who writes, and I'm not going to write something for crap in return (I'm rather harsh). But I've met a lot of pretty cool people on FF, and I talk to him quite often about writing and other stuff.

Dapper Poster

Kitsune No Tsubasa
Zlae
Kitsune No Tsubasa
Zlae
Kitsune No Tsubasa
Zlae

interesting.

I'm curious, how wouldn't lemon work with your writing style? Lemon is, in the end, writing the characters doing something. You just wanna make it hot. Writing style is just how you write it.

I hate stupid spelling errors, apostrophes where there shouldn't be, and of course, the dreaded homonym/homophone confusion. And bad grammar.

I probably wouldn't story trade with any of my friends RL, because I'm pretty much the only person of my friends who writes, and I'm not going to write something for crap in return (I'm rather harsh). But I've met a lot of pretty cool people on FF, and I talk to him quite often about writing and other stuff.
it'd be awkward, really. it just wouldn't turn out good.

exactly. grammar gets on my nerves a lot too, i mean, the sentence is actually supposed to make sense; i'm not supposed to assume what words go where.

i wouldn't either, it'd be awkward. hah i have a friend that is rather good at writing, but she only writes fluff whereas i'm more for darkfics, so it doesn't really work out.
Zlae
Kitsune No Tsubasa
Zlae
Kitsune No Tsubasa
Zlae
interesting.

exactly. grammar gets on my nerves a lot too, i mean, the sentence is actually supposed to make sense; i'm not supposed to assume what words go where.

i wouldn't either, it'd be awkward. hah i have a friend that is rather good at writing, but she only writes fluff whereas i'm more for darkfics, so it doesn't really work out.

Yeah, my friend complained of that when he was writing a fic for one of his other friends. A few times actually. I don't really like writing fluff either, but at least I've never had to.

I don't know what my (recent) writing would be described as. It's not fully dark, but I don't go out of my way to make it happy.

I can't be bothered to read through a s**t ton of mistakes. Sometimes I'll leave a review pointing them out so the author can fix them, but more often than not, I'll just hit the back button and find something else to read.

Dapper Poster

Kitsune No Tsubasa
Zlae
Kitsune No Tsubasa
Zlae
Kitsune No Tsubasa
Zlae
interesting.

Yeah, my friend complained of that when he was writing a fic for one of his other friends. A few times actually. I don't really like writing fluff either, but at least I've never had to.

I don't know what my (recent) writing would be described as. It's not fully dark, but I don't go out of my way to make it happy.

I can't be bothered to read through a s**t ton of mistakes. Sometimes I'll leave a review pointing them out so the author can fix them, but more often than not, I'll just hit the back button and find something else to read.
yeah, i mean, i actually do enjoy reading fics and stories that my friend has written. but lately all she's been doing is fluff and i just can't read it. but she doesn't like darkfics either, so we've had a sort of mutual understanding as of late.

realistic? lol sorry, lame joke.

i know how that feels. what i hate even more is when the writer actually has a nice writing style and everything, but they still have some blatantly obvious mistakes.

i point out typo's if there's only a couple, but if it's more mistakes than actual words that are in the dictionary, i just give up and read something else. there's only so much i can stand.
Zlae
Kitsune No Tsubasa
Zlae
Kitsune No Tsubasa
Zlae

yeah, i mean, i actually do enjoy reading fics and stories that my friend has written. but lately all she's been doing is fluff and i just can't read it. but she doesn't like darkfics either, so we've had a sort of mutual understanding as of late.

i know how that feels. what i hate even more is when the writer actually has a nice writing style and everything, but they still have some blatantly obvious mistakes.

i point out typo's if there's only a couple, but if it's more mistakes than actual words that are in the dictionary, i just give up and read something else. there's only so much i can stand.

Haha, yeah. Realistic.

If they have a nice writing style, a good story, and respond well to inital critism I might help them more. I do beta occasionally. If they start bitching I'll just leave 'em be.

I try for variety. All of my fics are different (apart from most being yaoi). One was borderline fluff at times, one was more angsty. I write character death, but I wouldn't say it's dark.

I don't point out typos so much; I'll point out one or two and then just say that there's more. They can put it into a word doc and press f7. I'm not gonna do that. I will however point out grammar mistakes and how to fix them. If I'm feeling helpful.

Dapper Poster

Kitsune No Tsubasa
Zlae
Kitsune No Tsubasa
Zlae
Kitsune No Tsubasa
Zlae

Haha, yeah. Realistic.

If they have a nice writing style, a good story, and respond well to inital critism I might help them more. I do beta occasionally. If they start bitching I'll just leave 'em be.

I try for variety. All of my fics are different (apart from most being yaoi). One was borderline fluff at times, one was more angsty. I write character death, but I wouldn't say it's dark.

I don't point out typos so much; I'll point out one or two and then just say that there's more. They can put it into a word doc and press f7. I'm not gonna do that. I will however point out grammar mistakes and how to fix them. If I'm feeling helpful.
emotion_awesome

i plan on becoming a beta when i have more spare time, i love helping people better their writing if they actually plan to.

ah, mine have character death too (most of them actually, whoops) and all of them are slash so far. i'm not really going for variety, i'm just writing what i'm in the mood for.

lol that sounds good too. it just makes me wonder if these people slept during english or what.
Zlae
Kitsune No Tsubasa
Zlae
Kitsune No Tsubasa
Zlae

Haha, yeah. Realistic.

emotion_awesome

i plan on becoming a beta when i have more spare time, i love helping people better their writing if they actually plan to.

ah, mine have character death too (most of them actually, whoops) and all of them are slash so far. i'm not really going for variety, i'm just writing what i'm in the mood for.

lol that sounds good too. it just makes me wonder if these people slept during english or what.

They decided to exact their revenge on the English language by butchering it. Either that or they think tht txt tlk is algd 4 ritin stories.

Yeah, I don't try for variety exactly, but what I write is usually different from what I already have written, because writing the same sort of thing a lot would bore me.

I doubt that I'd open an actual betaing profile, but betaing is pretty cool. And good betas are always in demand.

Fashionable Genius

6,600 Points
  • Contributor 150
  • Member 100
  • First step to fame 200
Zlae
hi everyone, i posted two pages before this and i think i'll frequent this thread, so get used to seeing me, heh.
Prolly Naut
Hi there. (°ロ°)☝

Has anyone else been having issues trying to log in to their account or submitting a review for the past few days?

I'd really like to be able to review and update my own stories again.
'ello!

...it's been fine for me.

have you tried a different browser?

Utziel
What do you guys thing about OCs?
I actually really want to write a fanfiction with one or two OCs in it, but I know people really hate them a lot. I just have so many ideas, and I can't use the main characters without making them severely out of character. D;
it really depends on whether or not the oc is actually realistic or not.

most people immediately avoid oc-oriented fic's because of bad experiences. but i've loved many involving oc's because the characters were actually interesting, believable and most importantly; relatable.

I like writing crossover romances with strange hetero aprings, but I keep the actual characters in character as much as possible, and my OC's are modeled off actual people I know or Jungian archtypes, without the stereotypes. I write for the fans who like weirdness, and I love getting feedback on how I can improve, but in my tintin/torchwood crossover, I have no reviews for anything after chapter 12. Which is too bad because I sure as hell enjoyed writing it for others to read.

if i like the character, i'll read about them. it's that simple.

make sure you're making an original character - not a self-insert - and everything should be a-okay. but if they're the focus, be prepared to not have as many read them just from (completely understandable) apprehension.

Beloved Detective

10,425 Points
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Treasure Hunter 100

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items