Welcome to Gaia! ::

Beloved Lunatic

frozen_water
You would create a system that would make it extremely easy to profit from illegal organ harvesting.

That problem's easy to solve, though. Just make organ harvesting legal, then tada -- no crime problem.

Aged Gaian

11,400 Points
  • 50 Wins 150
  • Crack Shot 50
  • Forum Regular 100
from blue to
frozen_water
You would create a system that would make it extremely easy to profit from illegal organ harvesting.

That problem's easy to solve, though. Just make organ harvesting legal, then tada -- no crime problem.
The problem with illegal organ harvesting isn't the illegal part, it's the forcibly removing organs bit.

Dapper Phantom

Why would I want money after I am dead.
I don't want a funeral.
I don't want a grave.
I want my body to be disposed of inhumanely like nature intended.

But anyway.
Most organs are useless post-mortem. Organs must be extracted before death, when patient/victim is declared "not gonna live" basically (or brain dead). Which is why organ harvesting freaks me the ******** out.

Dangerous Capitalist

6,100 Points
  • Brandisher 100
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Forum Sophomore 300
How hard will doctors work to save me if they know they can harvest my organs?

Greedy Consumer

Desideraht
Why would I want money after I am dead.
I don't want a funeral.
I don't want a grave.
I want my body to be disposed of inhumanely like nature intended.

But anyway.
Most organs are useless post-mortem. Organs must be extracted before death, when patient/victim is declared "not gonna live" basically (or brain dead). Which is why organ harvesting freaks me the ******** out.
Fair enough.

I suppose life insurance could cover the organ/funeral issue anyways.

Greedy Consumer

Essandee
How hard will doctors work to save me if they know they can harvest my organs?
True.

Beloved Lunatic

frozen_water
from blue to
frozen_water

The problem with illegal organ harvesting isn't the illegal part, it's the forcibly removing organs bit.

lol. Yeah I know. I was just being an a** because something being illegal doesn't always mean the involved parties aren't willing. I think I was too tired at the time to process that no one calls it harvesting when the donor is willing.

Versatile Sex Symbol

8,500 Points
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Friendly 100
  • Somebody Likes You 100
Belle von Hellbond
Joya Kittie
We Are Organisms
Costs of procurement of organs alone is $20,000(bone marrow) to $180,000(intestines with other organs) and overall costs for organ transplants can be very high. These were the estimated averages for 2011.

They charge the most for admissions however, probably the room and time you are in the room, to pay the doctors, and cover equipment use. For $16,500(cornea) to $813,000 (kidney and heart), while they charge like $20,000 for immuno suppressants.

Overall it costs hundreds of thousands of dollars for most transplant surgeries.

I am not sure how much the hospital profits from each one though but hospitals can be privately owned.

If we charged the hospitals they might just end up billing patients more, so we need to sell them to patients instead with registered people to make sure the organs are legit and to make sure they are safely taken care of as by procedure.

We can charge less for the procurement of organs to patients themselves I suppose thatd be a little tiring but Im sure there could be an insurance program we could have this idea contracted with or something to increase the amount of organ sales since the average person can't afford such expenses.

If we had free health care donating would be sublime, but thats not the case lol. People pay hospitals alot of money throughout their lifetime, and deserve to earn a bit of it back.

What are your thoughts? What steps might need to be taken to see this through? Or disagree?
I'm thinking that perhaps gifting them to the hospital would be ideal. They can be gifted with a terms of use contract signed ahead of time, such that the hospital is required to "give" the organ to a patient. : )

Also you might be interested to learn that genetically matched organs will be manufacturable soon... Within the next century... Probably within the next 5 decades. I'm looking forward to it. Eventually the process will be mastered to the point of making and keeping "spare parts" for each person born. How nifty would that be!?

Source: Scientists Make Progress in Tailor Made Organs.

The only thing I can think of after seeing that is a terrifying Repo: The Genetic Opera scenario.

Then apply some positive thinking to your imagination instead! Imagine a similar scenario, in which such a plan is put in place simply for the benefit of mankind without someone attempting to profit and seize power! ^^ Such a world is possible.

Conservative Lover

5,250 Points
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Hygienic 200
We have free healthcare in my country but the issue that keeps profits around that there isn't enough supply of orgrans so the rich and those with private insurance can get themselves bumped up the waiting list.

Questionable Prophet

11,950 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Megathread 100
  • Invisibility 100
In the US, organs are technically a "gift," to begin with, it's illegal to sell/buy an organ.

And the majority of hospitals are non-profit, with assorted for-profit side clinics (like home health). So the absurd cost of surgeries is technically paying for the cost of itself, nothing extra. And considering all the equipment and staffing and sterilization everything has, I'm not entirely surprised by the cost. They're not gouging you for fun funsies. The healthcare system is a little complicated.

All that said, I am totally and completely against organ selling. People shouldn't have to pay for the needed organ on top of the cost of everything else.

Profitable Gatekeeper

7,450 Points
  • Profitable 100
  • Tycoon 200
  • Millionaire 200
No, YOU can sell your organs. I'm coming back as a spirit detective. 3nodding
Anyway, don't your organs shut down when you die? Do they turn back on if you put them in a live body? I donno I'm not a Doctor.

Greedy Consumer

Annata Cannata
No, YOU can sell your organs. I'm coming back as a spirit detective. 3nodding
Anyway, don't your organs shut down when you die? Do they turn back on if you put them in a live body? I donno I'm not a Doctor.
Well if a person dies while they attempt to keep fthem from dieing some of the organs could still be kept alive. And nice, anime reference lol.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff