Welcome to Gaia! ::

Greedy Consumer

Costs of procurement of organs alone is $20,000(bone marrow) to $180,000(intestines with other organs) and overall costs for organ transplants can be very high. These were the estimated averages for 2011.

They charge the most for admissions however, probably the room and time you are in the room, to pay the doctors, and cover equipment use. For $16,500(cornea) to $813,000 (kidney and heart), while they charge like $20,000 for immuno suppressants.

Overall it costs hundreds of thousands of dollars for most transplant surgeries.

I am not sure how much the hospital profits from each one though but hospitals can be privately owned.

If we charged the hospitals they might just end up billing patients more, so we need to sell them to patients instead with registered people to make sure the organs are legit and to make sure they are safely taken care of as by procedure.

We can charge less for the procurement of organs to patients themselves I suppose thatd be a little tiring but Im sure there could be an insurance program we could have this idea contracted with or something to increase the amount of organ sales since the average person can't afford such expenses.

If we had free health care donating would be sublime, but thats not the case lol. People pay hospitals alot of money throughout their lifetime, and deserve to earn a bit of it back.

What are your thoughts? What steps might need to be taken to see this through? Or disagree?

Versatile Sex Symbol

8,500 Points
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Friendly 100
  • Somebody Likes You 100
We Are Organisms
Costs of procurement of organs alone is $20,000(bone marrow) to $180,000(intestines with other organs) and overall costs for organ transplants can be very high. These were the estimated averages for 2011.

They charge the most for admissions however, probably the room and time you are in the room, to pay the doctors, and cover equipment use. For $16,500(cornea) to $813,000 (kidney and heart), while they charge like $20,000 for immuno suppressants.

Overall it costs hundreds of thousands of dollars for most transplant surgeries.

I am not sure how much the hospital profits from each one though but hospitals can be privately owned.

If we charged the hospitals they might just end up billing patients more, so we need to sell them to patients instead with registered people to make sure the organs are legit and to make sure they are safely taken care of as by procedure.

We can charge less for the procurement of organs to patients themselves I suppose thatd be a little tiring but Im sure there could be an insurance program we could have this idea contracted with or something to increase the amount of organ sales since the average person can't afford such expenses.

If we had free health care donating would be sublime, but thats not the case lol. People pay hospitals alot of money throughout their lifetime, and deserve to earn a bit of it back.

What are your thoughts? What steps might need to be taken to see this through? Or disagree?
I'm thinking that perhaps gifting them to the hospital would be ideal. They can be gifted with a terms of use contract signed ahead of time, such that the hospital is required to "give" the organ to a patient. : )

Also you might be interested to learn that genetically matched organs will be manufacturable soon... Within the next century... Probably within the next 5 decades. I'm looking forward to it. Eventually the process will be mastered to the point of making and keeping "spare parts" for each person born. How nifty would that be!?

Source: Scientists Make Progress in Tailor Made Organs.
Personally, I don't dislike the idea of having personal representatives of the estates of deceased people sell the organs of the deceased to raise money for the estate. I think it's practical and it benefits both the beneficiaries and the creditors of the estate. Heck, it helps out people who need organs too.

But the prevailing sentiment in America is a spiritual view of death. People get really uncomfortable when it comes to violating a corpse. For example, exhuming a body from a grave should be a pretty easy and painless affair (because, you know, dead) but the living relatives tend to freak out. I'm sure removing organs from dead people for sale would freak out most normal Americans, no matter how practical it is.

Trying to privatize the sales would also be a difficult matter. You'll need medical expertise to remove the organs from the body and preserve them. You'll need to go through hospitals for that unless you can convince a subset of doctors to become full-time corpse harvesters.

What's more is that private buying and selling of organs would be so rife for problems and controversy that it would probably need to be heavily regulated. I doubt most insurers would be willing to take the risk of paying for these organs with risks associated with defective handling. Hate to say it but the current medical industry kind of has the market cornered on transplants.

Shameless Mystic

Obviously you don't have a driver's license yet.

Familiar Friend

i donate a few organs but only to people under 30 then the rest of me is cremated and used to build coral reef

Greedy Consumer

Joya Kittie
We Are Organisms

I'm thinking that perhaps gifting them to the hospital would be ideal. They can be gifted with a terms of use contract signed ahead of time, such that the hospital is required to "give" the organ to a patient. : )

Also you might be interested to learn that genetically matched organs will be manufacturable soon... Within the next century... Probably within the next 5 decades. I'm looking forward to it. Eventually the process will be mastered to the point of making and keeping "spare parts" for each person born. How nifty would that be!?

We would need alot of ice xd
that doesn't make sense...
you should just donate your organs. Why would you want to drive up the already crazy healthy care costs?

not to mention it's illegal. terrible idea.

Greedy Consumer

baerbear
that doesn't make sense...
you should just donate your organs. Why would you want to drive up the already crazy healthy care costs?

not to mention it's illegal. terrible idea.
Actually no, if the hospitals charge tens of thousands for acquiring an organ there can be a service that costs less and then it saves the customer money instead of the hospital who can charge whatever they want almost. The money goes to the family who needs their funeral of their deceased loved one taken care of, instead of us just dieing and having our relatives pay out of pocket somewhat for funeral costs, so the people can actually instead of getting the funeral burden get a form of support after losing their loved one. And laws can change, they would have standards of course.

So, why just donate them?

I suppose this would be a seperate branch of hospitals though because hospitals are the closest to save organs from a recently deceased person, so I see where thats another complication.

It also saves peopel money on healthcare if they can sell the organs to the patients less than the hospital would have.

O.G. Player

11,175 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Beta Citizen 0
  • Invisibility 100
I don't feel like doing that. There isn't a legitimate reason why, as I want to be cremated and there wouldn't be a problem if there wasn't a 1/2ounce of heart in there.

It seems like it would be really difficult to sell it directly to a patient, there might be a lot of fraud associated with that.

Buggy Mage

It is unfortunate that so many procedures are so expensive. confused

Aged Gaian

11,400 Points
  • 50 Wins 150
  • Crack Shot 50
  • Forum Regular 100
You would create a system that would make it extremely easy to profit from illegal organ harvesting.

Adored Admirer

I gain nothing from people taking my organs, so no.
Pseudo-Onkelos
I gain nothing from people taking my organs, so no.

You'd certainly have more chest-space.

7,600 Points
  • Bunny Hunter 100
  • Full closet 200
  • V-Day 2011 Event 100
Joya Kittie
We Are Organisms

The only thing I can think of after seeing that is a terrifying Repo: The Genetic Opera scenario.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff