Welcome to Gaia! ::

DarkSohisohi
Senator Armstrong
DarkSohisohi
Senator Armstrong
My Dog Mr. Kitty
What does it seek to accomplish?

Bullying awareness. What are ya, stupid?
And what will awareness accomplish?

Um. Awareness.

What the ******** are you expecting out of an awareness campaign? Ascension to Nirvana?

I have no clue
User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.
Meh

I wouldn't ask if I did. . .

So I guess, if I have to refine my question, why is awareness necessary?
(this question is open to anyone)

To get it through folk's skulls that bullying is bad news. Psychologically - as well as physically - damaging, it is for some ******** reason accepted, and expected as a part of school life.

Except literally nowhere else accepts harassment and assault in so blase a fashion. And that is what bullying is, harassment and assault. Just for some reason we allow it to happen in schools.

Super Streaker

9,175 Points
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Forum Regular 100
Macodrone
Rhianna
Macodrone
Rhianna
It's such a crock of shite.

My son has been terribly bullied his entire elementary school career and each year those same bullies put on their anti-bullying shirts and pretend to care and promise to be better to each other and those same teachers and staff who did nothing to help my son prance around pretending that their school is the safe space they promise it to be or that they give a s**t. They don't. The next day those same bullies are back at it and the same day those same staff are turning the other way while my son is slapped, shoved around, stabbed with pencils and so forth. The whole thing is a ridiculous circle jerk of hypocrisy.

Read my post.

teach your son how to deal with it. If the bullies are getting physical with him, teach him to stand up for himself. He might get a s**t kicking, but it'll make him a better person later in life.
Besides, a few hard knocks are good for a boy.
You need to teach him, don't count on anyone else, he's YOUR son. Teach him, give him the tools. Make his adversity the stone and give him the chisel. Let him carve out his own identity, and teach him to be proud of that.
Just telling him you love him and that those naughty boys at school can't see what a "sweet sensitive caring boy" he is and that they're "just jealous" or whatever you do, ain't helping your boy.
Get him involved in sports. Seriously, any sport. Bribe him with whatever he wants to just stick with it for a season. Get him into body building or working out. Give him an outlet and real *advice* instead of soppy sentimentality. No offense, he's your son not mine, but this is a thread on bullying and this is how I think it should be dealt with.
I'm not insulting your abilities as a mother, so please don't think that.

For the record, I'm pro-bullying, for reasons outlined in my previous post everyone ignored.

Being abused is not character building. It's abuse. You might survive it, but to suggest that elementary schoolers can benefit from being hurt and threatened is ridiculous. That attitude is exactly how we end up with bullied kids either lashing out like Eric Harris and Dylan Klebold did or taking it out on themselves and becoming the next Amanda Todd, Phoebe Prince or even Montana Lance who committed suicide at just nine years old because he was bullied so badly.

Beyond that you have no idea what I tell my son or how I deal with it. And to be frank, what I'm doing with him is far better than whatever your parents did for you because he's more mature, open-minded, caring, forgiving and inclusive at barely 10 than you are. Maybe if your parents had dealt with your childhood bullying with more empathy you wouldn't think that forcing 9 and 10 year olds into body-building and fist-fights is the answer to bullying.

And that mentality is exactly why your son is growing up with shame, and my father and his father and his father and myself are not.

You think bullying is new? You think kids being jackasses is NEW? No, it's your approach to the "problem" that is new.

How dare you make reference to Columbine as if it supports your position. They were cowards who lived a life of shame because, duh da da dahhhh, no one gave them the tools to overcome the adversity they faced, and because people like you gave them the impression they were happy little snowflakes.

I personally knew Amanda Todd, and I'm glad she's dead. She wasn't a good person, in fact she did everything possible to be the worst person she could be.
She attacked her mother on numerous occasions, she slept with another girl's boyfriend and when they beat her up for it she went home and drank bleach.

But,
You can't stop bullying. Being aware of it will change nothing, How many people are unaware of bullying, by a show of hands?
You can''t change or stop predatory behavior you can only give children the tools to rise above it.
Your mentality is exactly why your son is ashamed of himself, and exactly why his self-esteem is suffering.
Just based on your first 2 sentences, it's easy to surmise that simple fact.

*edit*

I never said that you should force him to do *anything* but the traits you listed aren't helping him stand up for himself ARE THEY?!
I'm guessing you're a single mother. Good job, you've raised another coward.

Okay, I was gonna respond politely, but you have crossed the ******** line.
First off, you don't EVER wish death on someone, unless they have killed another person.
Second, Oh, I'm so ******** sorry, I didn't know kids were all perfect models able to fight back against bullying. Not everyone is strong enough, physically or mentally, no matter the ******** tools. What if the mother found out after he had developed self esteem issues that he was being bullied? Don't you DARE try and tell me he could just get over it, because that's not how s**t works. I had no idea I was even being bullied for years because the school I went to talked about it, but only covered physical bullying. They found ways to take advantage of me and get into my skin and convince me I was a useless, annoying piece of s**t. Once damage is done to self esteem it's really ******** hard to reverse it, and it can develop into later problems. Calling someone you don't even ******** know their name of a coward is god damn ridiculous. If anything, he's anything but a damn coward. Suicide is not selfish nor cowardly, either.
You claim that not standing up to bullies makes you cowardly and weak, yet those who do develop problems from these shitbirds can become the strongest ******** people you'll ever know later in life, and in many cases, this teaches them many more lessons than you'd learn from punching shitbird in the jaw and telling them to ******** off. Not everyone can be like you, shrugging what could have been a key to introducing bad problems for one person, but some simple words to you. Not everyone can be as strong as you are. Humans are all different.
And honestly? Being happy someone killed themselves? Calling others cowards? Making assumptions and degrading them for how they chose to live and raise their child, without even knowing what she's telling her son to do to combat it? It sounds an awful lot like to me like YOU'RE the bully.

Romantic Demigod

Wow, I did not want people to start attacking each other over this.
Bzzztt
Macodrone
Rhianna
Macodrone
Rhianna

My son has been terribly bullied his entire elementary school career and each year those same bullies put on their anti-bullying shirts and pretend to care and promise to be better to each other and those same teachers and staff who did nothing to help my son prance around pretending that their school is the safe space they promise it to be or that they give a s**t. They don't. The next day those same bullies are back at it and the same day those same staff are turning the other way while my son is slapped, shoved around, stabbed with pencils and so forth. The whole thing is a ridiculous circle jerk of hypocrisy.

Read my post.

teach your son how to deal with it. If the bullies are getting physical with him, teach him to stand up for himself. He might get a s**t kicking, but it'll make him a better person later in life.
You need to teach him, don't count on anyone else, he's YOUR son. Teach him, give him the tools. Make his adversity the stone and give him the chisel. Let him carve out his own identity, and teach him to be proud of that.
Just telling him you love him and that those naughty boys at school can't see what a "sweet sensitive caring boy" he is and that they're "just jealous" or whatever you do, ain't helping your boy.
Get him involved in sports. Seriously, any sport. Bribe him with whatever he wants to just stick with it for a season. Get him into body building or working out. Give him an outlet and real *advice* instead of soppy sentimentality. No offense, he's your son not mine, but this is a thread on bullying and this is how I think it should be dealt with.

For the record, I'm pro-bullying, for reasons outlined in my previous post everyone ignored.

Being abused is not character building. It's abuse. You might survive it, but to suggest that elementary schoolers can benefit from being hurt and threatened is ridiculous. That attitude is exactly how we end up with bullied kids either lashing out like Eric Harris and Dylan Klebold did or taking it out on themselves and becoming the next Amanda Todd, Phoebe Prince or even Montana Lance who committed suicide at just nine years old because he was bullied so badly.

Beyond that you have no idea what I tell my son or how I deal with it. And to be frank, what I'm doing with him is far better than whatever your parents did for you because he's more mature, open-minded, caring, forgiving and inclusive at barely 10 than you are. Maybe if your parents had dealt with your childhood bullying with more empathy you wouldn't think that forcing 9 and 10 year olds into body-building and fist-fights is the answer to bullying.

And that mentality is exactly why your son is growing up with shame, and my father and his father and his father and myself are not.

You think bullying is new? You think kids being jackasses is NEW? No, it's your approach to the "problem" that is new.

How dare you make reference to Columbine as if it supports your position. They were cowards who lived a life of shame because, duh da da dahhhh, no one gave them the tools to overcome the adversity they faced, and because people like you gave them the impression they were happy little snowflakes.

I personally knew Amanda Todd, and I'm glad she's dead. She wasn't a good person, in fact she did everything possible to be the worst person she could be.
She attacked her mother on numerous occasions, she slept with another girl's boyfriend and when they beat her up for it she went home and drank bleach.

But,
You can't stop bullying. Being aware of it will change nothing, How many people are unaware of bullying, by a show of hands?
You can''t change or stop predatory behavior you can only give children the tools to rise above it.
Your mentality is exactly why your son is ashamed of himself, and exactly why his self-esteem is suffering.

*edit*

I never said that you should force him to do *anything* but the traits you listed aren't helping him stand up for himself ARE THEY?!

First off, you don't EVER wish death on someone, unless they have killed another person.
Second, Oh, I'm so ******** sorry, I didn't know kids were all perfect models able to fight back against bullying. Not everyone is strong enough, physically or mentally, no matter the ******** tools. What if the mother found out after he had developed self esteem issues that he was being bullied? Don't you DARE try and tell me he could just get over it, because that's not how s**t works. I had no idea I was even being bullied for years because the school I went to talked about it, but only covered physical bullying. They found ways to take advantage of me and get into my skin and convince me I was a useless, annoying piece of s**t. Once damage is done to self esteem it's really ******** hard to reverse it, and it can develop into later problems. Calling someone you don't even ******** know their name of a coward is god damn ridiculous. If anything, he's anything but a damn coward. Suicide is not selfish nor cowardly, either.
You claim that not standing up to bullies makes you cowardly and weak, yet those who do develop problems from these shitbirds can become the strongest ******** people you'll ever know later in life, and in many cases, this teaches them many more lessons than you'd learn from punching shitbird in the jaw and telling them to ******** off. Not everyone can be like you, shrugging what could have been a key to introducing bad problems for one person, but some simple words to you. Not everyone can be as strong as you are. Humans are all different.
And honestly? Being happy someone killed themselves? Calling others cowards? Making assumptions and degrading them for how they chose to live and raise their child, without even knowing what she's telling her son to do to combat it? It sounds an awful lot like to me like YOU'RE the bully.

Cry me a river you coward. Stop making excuses. Everyone can be strong of character, don't make excuses for people of weak personal character.
I'm not talking about disemboweling your opponent, I'm not talking about valorous combat, I'm not talking about crushing your enemies.

The mind is stronger than the body, and the mind has no limits. You are the sum total of what you put into yourself.

So don't make excuses because it is as simple as that.

Arnold Schwarzenegger's 6 simple rules are a great place to start. Think about what HE accomplished living those very basic rules

The more excuses you make for yourself and other people the more you make yourself a victim. Stop acting like you don't have power over yourself.

AND MORE ******** OVER, IF A PERSON FEELS THEY'RE NOT AS STRONG AS ME AS YOU SAY, AND THEY CAN'T BELIEVE IN THEMSELVES THEY DON'T HAVE TO THEY CAN BELIEVE IN ME WHO BELIEVES IN THEM.

Let that message set in to everyone in this thread who is a victim. I am "strong" and you "aren't" apparently.
If I am strong and I believe in you, why can't you believe in yourselves? Hmm? Think about it.

Super Streaker

9,175 Points
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Forum Regular 100
Macodrone
Bzzztt
Macodrone
Rhianna
Macodrone
Rhianna

Read my post.

But,

*edit*

Cry me a river you coward. Stop making excuses. Everyone can be strong of character, don't make excuses for people of weak personal character.
I'm not talking about disemboweling your opponent, I'm not talking about valorous combat, I'm not talking about crushing your enemies.

The mind is stronger than the body, and the mind has no limits. You are the sum total of what you put into yourself.

So don't make excuses because it is as simple as that.

Arnold Schwarzenegger's 6 simple rules are a great place to start. Think about what HE accomplished living those very basic rules

The more excuses you make for yourself and other people the more you make yourself a victim. Stop acting like you don't have power over yourself.

AND MORE ******** OVER, IF A PERSON FEELS THEY'RE NOT AS STRONG AS ME AS YOU SAY, AND THEY CAN'T BELIEVE IN THEMSELVES THEY DON'T HAVE TO THEY CAN BELIEVE IN ME WHO BELIEVES IN THEM.

Let that message set in to everyone in this thread who is a victim. I am "strong" and you "aren't" apparently.
If I am strong and I believe in you, why can't you believe in yourselves? Hmm? Think about it.

I'm not a coward anymore; I may have been at the time but I'm dealing with my problems now, and will deal with any problems that come my way.
What I meant was, some people weren't brought up believing in themselves. If you tell a 5 year old enough times that they're worthless, they're going to believe it, most likely. Some peoples parents weren't around enough or didn't give a s**t enough about their kids to teach them they can be strong and how to be strong when they needed it, and since parents are a gigantic key to a child's growth, that can be detrimental.
I can't explain it very well, usually when people are susceptible to getting hurt by shitbirds, they haven't had any prior experience with them, so because of that, they don't know how to deal with it. At least that's what I've observed.
You can't just will away problems magically, especially psychological issues. If I could just snap my fingers and all my problems were okay, I'd be the most chill person on the earth right now.
Once a psychological problem sets in, it's very hard to get out. Yes, I agree, don't let that s**t get to you.
I never said anyone wasn't strong here. Self esteem issues/Anxiety is basically you hating yourself, right? Every time you do something, you beat yourself up over it. Yes, a person can stop this on their own, do they know HOW to stop it all the time? No. Self esteem issues usually morph into Anxiety, which is a mental illness. Some people have to learn how to combat it, much like kids need to learn to fight back against their shitbird.
The answer to "If I am strong and I believe in you, why cant you believe in yourselves?" Is hard to put into words but I shall try: Friends can really really help people with Anxiety and the like, but a lot of the times, they don't believe you believe in them.They think they're a burden to others, and doesn't want to bother them, which is basically them setting up their big glaring brick wall into fixing their issue.
No, I didn't mean some kids can't be as strong as others fresh out the v****a, I'm sorry if it came off that way. Yes, everyone can deal with their problems and it's ultimately up to them. But, it is not always their fault if things get to them, and sometimes they need help with dealing with issues before it morphs into them not being able to themselves at all.
I will not be wearing pink. I think I might wear a navy blue button up, though. I like the way it looks.

Bullying, to an extent, helps to prepare an individual for the hardships of life, in my opinion.
Macodrone

I believe the Chatterbox is for people like you who feel the need to make ad-hom attacks.

There's zero evidence to back up your idea that throwing them to the wolves and encouraging them to physically fight or telling them to simply "Be stronger, get over it! So and so did!" improves outcomes. In fact more and more studies have shown the opposite and that early intervention by parents is important and that children removed from those environments instead of left to fend for themselves do better. Homeschooled children who don't have to deal with that score higher on pretty much all social/psychological margins than public and private schooled peers but I'm sure you consider them all weak cowards who couldn't "hack it" in public schools.

rolleyes
Rhianna
Macodrone

I believe the Chatterbox is for people like you who feel the need to make ad-hom attacks.

There's zero evidence to back up your idea that throwing them to the wolves and encouraging them to physically fight or telling them to simply "Be stronger, get over it! So and so did!" improves outcomes. In fact more and more studies have shown the opposite and that early intervention by parents is important and that children removed from those environments instead of left to fend for themselves do better. Homeschooled children who don't have to deal with that score higher on pretty much all social/psychological margins than public and private schooled peers but I'm sure you consider them all weak cowards who couldn't "hack it" in public schools.

rolleyes

It's ironic that you would say all of that given that you're clearly incapable of following something through to the logical conclusion point.

A: My son is having a hard time with bullying
B: I try to make him feel better and help the problem
C: He's still being bullied despite my best efforts.
D: ?

I would say either her best efforts aren't good enough or she's trying the wrong thing.

I would say that constant reinforcement for children being bullied is actually a bad thing, it's counter intuitive, but if you're constantly lead to believe that you're the salt of the earth and then someone comes along and treats you like s**t... how is that helping? It's actually giving a child unrealistic expectations.

so... I stand by what i've said, she's clearly approaching the problem wrong and her hasty defense of herself proves she cares more about what i think of her than what might be best for her son.

If you can't use rational thinking to draw a logical conclusion maybe you should take a trip over to the chatter box

*ps*
Define better, lol, how do you measure such a thing LOL children aren't objects that you can study and determine the "best" possible level of "xyz"
If those studies claim that children are "better" then they've already committed themselves to poor science and intellectual bias.

How do you objectively measure an arbitrary and subjective value?

Lamia Lacuna's Husband

Most children who bully are simply lashing out at others because of a shitty home life.

Some children who bully genuinely don't realize the damaging effects it can have on others self-esteem.

Bullies typically will lash out at other individuals as a means to act 'tough' when really they are self-conscious or insecure about something.

In some cases, the bully is just genuinely a shitty person and there is no saving them. As, I usually say, we are products of our environment. SO, if a child or young adult has gotten to the point of no return, its usually because no one cared enough to help them.

Many children do not come equipped to deal with these social challenges and it is the responsibility of adults to educate both parties.

Teaching your children self-defense, self-respect, and that you will support them helps in many cases. However, it really doesn't matter what you teach your child. The point is teaching them, being there for them, supporting them.

Supporting does not mean assuming that your child is an 'angel' that can do no wrong. Understanding that all children regardless of how they act around you will act differently around their peers is the first step to fixing potential problems.

Supporting means being a mentor that guides that young person and instills the values that will ultimately allow them to stand up for themselves/ make the right decisions to treat others as they wish to be treated.

Finally, sometimes a bully just needs a good a** whuppin.
Chainsaw Samurai
Most children who bully are simply lashing out at others because of a shitty home life.

Some children who bully genuinely don't realize the damaging effects it can have on others self-esteem.

Bullies typically will lash out at other individuals as a means to act 'tough' when really they are self-conscious or insecure about something.

In some cases, the bully is just genuinely a shitty person and there is no saving them. As, I usually say, we are products of our environment. SO, if a child or young adult has gotten to the point of no return, its usually because no one cared enough to help them.

Many children do not come equipped to deal with these social challenges and it is the responsibility of adults to educate both parties.

Teaching your children self-defense, self-respect, and that you will support them helps in many cases. However, it really doesn't matter what you teach your child. The point is teaching them, being there for them, supporting them.

Supporting does not mean assuming that your child is an 'angel' that can do no wrong. Understanding that all children regardless of how they act around you will act differently around their peers is the first step to fixing potential problems.

Supporting means being a mentor that guides that young person and instills the values that will ultimately allow them to stand up for themselves/ make the right decisions to treat others as they wish to be treated.

Finally, sometimes a bully just needs a good a** whuppin.

It kind of does matter what you teach your child.
Teaching them that bullying is wrong and that they did nothing to deserve it and blah blah blah can create a dichotomy of identity.
They believe they are special, and then question why they're being treated so poorly.
There are some very destructive lessons that children are taught all out of good intentions.

everything else you said is spot on, regardless of what other people in this thread might think, everyone has strength inside of them, sometimes it's just hidden in the darkness. Strong people need to be the flame that banishes that darkness so that others can find the will to explore the labyrinth of their character.
So it does kind of matter, not a great deal, but to an extent.

Tipsy Smoker

Rhianna
Macodrone

rolleyes
He doesn't believe in evidence.
Chahklet
Rhianna
Macodrone

rolleyes
He doesn't believe in evidence.

You can't compile data on this subject. It's exactly why sociology and psychology have come under fire in recent years from the rest of the scientific community.

Imagine is *real* doctors gave you a diagnosis based on your symptoms, imagine a world where the quality of your fever determined your disease.
I wouldn't want to live in that world.

There is no "evidence" there is only logical deduction, besides that you can't objectively measure complex systems with "better"
Is a large dog for it's breed "better"?
You could say that a healthy silky coat is better, because you can objectively measure the dietary input and see the physical output.

Is a child who never had to deal with anything in childhood "better" on one hand I can see why a happy ignorant kid would seem that way, but you can't use absolute terms to describe that phenomena. That is faulty science.
make all the subjective observations you want but don't try and pass them off as hard science. Believe in subjective, biased studies that rely on faulty science all you want but don't try to pass them off as facts.

use some god damn logic and critical thought skills before you start attacking me you pompous b***h

inb4 you cherry pick my post and jump all over that "there is no evidence" line
this applies ONLY to pseudo-science like these studies you're touting around as word of law, it just goes to show how little you understand scientific principals

Deathly Protagonist

soul of ana
How many of you will wear pink to show your support? Here is mine.

that would be very ungothic of me and against my religion
Macodrone
Bullies serve a valuable purpose in society.
And more often than not they never fully mature past the jock boyhood mentality, girls as well, never fully mature.
They serve a valuable purpose in schools, preparing other children for the reality of life.

I think a far better thing to do would be to teach bullied children how to deal with bullying problems OTHER than to just run and tell an adult or other authoritative figure.

I'd wear pink and drop 14.99 on a shirt if I thought it would do anything, but I don't and I wouldn't want to.
Being bullied was the best thing that ever happened to me. I know some people end up stuck in a phase of self loathing and it can be hard to break that cycle and THAT is where I think education needs to step in and give bully victims the tools to over come and surpass those feelings.
You'll never change predatory behavior, that exists and it always has and always will.
Giving students the tools to raise above that adversity is better than trying to eliminate that adversity.

Bullies serve no beneficial social purpose sufficient to justify their negatives.

If the goal is to teach kids "how the world works", then the politics of playground bullying are the farthest from it. In the real world, there is no "Boys will be boys." In the real world, you bully someone at work and you and your employer get sued or, much more commonly, the bully gets reprimanded and told if the behavior continues, they will be fired.
JFeatherston
I will not be wearing pink. I think I might wear a navy blue button up, though. I like the way it looks.

Bullying, to an extent, helps to prepare an individual for the hardships of life, in my opinion.

Because, as we all know, life does not on its own present enough challenges. Lord knows that but for those noble bullies out there damaging kid's self-esteem and giving them psychological hang-ups for years, life would be all rainbows and butterflies. rolleyes

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff