Welcome to Gaia! ::

Kaze Drimn's Prince

Lavish Businessman

Callidora
Procurements
Callidora
Procurements
Callidora
The only thing I blame on the Baby Boomers is instilling this notion entitlement to your generation. You were guaranteed nothing in life besides your death, so bitching about the way our predecessors shaped society is pointless. If you don't like it, it's in your power to change it.

Ah, a Gen Xer. Spent the 90s rejecting everything the boomers stand for, only to turn around and become boomers on steroids as soon as the odometer rolls over. At least millenials are staying upset about this s**t sandwich they're being fed, instead of becoming the generation that hated sellouts so much they all sold out.

... exactly how old do you think I am?

If you're using terms like "your generation," then you're likely in your 30s.

Sorry, that was supposed to say "our". I can assure you I am a Millenial, I just have different views on on some of the key points. Mainly, I don't feel like we're "being fed a s**t sandwich". I've seen enough of the world to know that most people in North America have an incredible life, like myself. Even being a lower middle class woman in Canada is better than most of the world has it. It's all a matter of perspective.

You can diminish any debate by simply saying "someone has it worse" or "at least you're breathing." I don't think that's a reasonable rebuttal.

Aged Gaian

Procurements
Callidora
Procurements
Callidora
Procurements
Callidora
The only thing I blame on the Baby Boomers is instilling this notion entitlement to your generation. You were guaranteed nothing in life besides your death, so bitching about the way our predecessors shaped society is pointless. If you don't like it, it's in your power to change it.

Ah, a Gen Xer. Spent the 90s rejecting everything the boomers stand for, only to turn around and become boomers on steroids as soon as the odometer rolls over. At least millenials are staying upset about this s**t sandwich they're being fed, instead of becoming the generation that hated sellouts so much they all sold out.

Sorry, that was supposed to say "our". I can assure you I am a Millenial, I just have different views on on some of the key points. Mainly, I don't feel like we're "being fed a s**t sandwich". I've seen enough of the world to know that most people in North America have an incredible life, like myself. Even being a lower middle class woman in Canada is better than most of the world has it. It's all a matter of perspective.

You can diminish any debate by simply saying "someone has it worse" or "at least you're breathing." I don't think that's a reasonable rebuttal.

Why does the rebuttal have to be reasonable in a conversation when the op's point is literally "******** a certain sub-sect"? My point was that anyone can go to an open forum and b***h pointlessly, but your bitching is made less credible until you have made any sort of effort to change what it is you have a problem with.

Kaze Drimn's Prince

Lavish Businessman

Callidora
Procurements
Callidora
Procurements
Callidora

Why does the rebuttal have to be reasonable in a conversation when the op's point is literally "******** a certain sub-sect"? My point was that anyone can go to an open forum and b***h pointlessly, but your bitching is made less credible until you have made any sort of effort to change what it is you have a problem with.

So a previous generation hanging their descendants out to dry isn't something that's worth discussing? There's a reason why you see a lot of "******** the boomers" talk out there. And I don't know if you've noticed, but boomers are who's running for office, and they're the ones that vote faithfully. I do my part and have voted in every major election I've been alive for, but there's only so much you can do, you know? Especially when you consider that vote suppression is starting to return.

Aged Gaian

Procurements
Callidora
Procurements
Callidora
Procurements
Callidora

So a previous generation hanging their descendants out to dry isn't something that's worth discussing? There's a reason why you see a lot of "******** the boomers" talk out there. And I don't know if you've noticed, but boomers are who's running for office, and they're the ones that vote faithfully. I do my part and have voted in every major election I've been alive for, but there's only so much you can do, you know? Especially when you consider that vote suppression is starting to return.

I think open discussion is vital, which is the only reason I voiced an opinion - something I thouroghly regret now that I've read the rest of the op's tripe. I very much enjoyed reading what you had to write, however.

Kaze Drimn's Prince

Lavish Businessman

Callidora
Procurements
Callidora
Procurements
Callidora

I think open discussion is vital, which is the only reason I voiced an opinion - something I thouroghly regret now that I've read the rest of the op's tripe. I very much enjoyed reading what you had to write, however.

I'm old enough to really identify as both Gen X and Gen Y, though more Gen Y from how they're defining things now. I've seen a lot come and go. Tuition reimbursement at jobs that students do? Up in smoke. Pension plans? Gone. Social Security's being gutted. Energy's skyrocketing in cost and we'll likely hit peak oil, if not peak energy period sometime in our lifetime. Manufacturing jobs have all gone across the ocean or south of the border, meaning you have to go to college, and oh by the way that's skyrocketing in cost compared to inflation. Wages have been stagnant for years. The cost of living is much higher than it was even 20 years ago, let alone 40. The infrastructure's aging and falling apart and no one in Congress has the balls to turn down corporate money and actually invest in modernizing it, not to mention it was built around the car, so it isn't taking energy conservation into account. Unions are now toothless and powerless, leaving workers stuck with the choice of biting the bullet and being voiceless at work or going to the soup kitchen. Resources are becoming increasingly finite and the question of when we run out of key materials is becoming a concern for the first time in human existence. Not to mention the reality that we may be making the ocean too acidic, which could make our air unbreathable, and nothing's being done other than people turning "global warming" into a punchline for when a heat wave hits in January.

We're at a brink not just as a society, but as a species. Blaming boomers is a little unfair because these are issues that have been in the making for thousands of years, but boomers are doing absolutely nothing to help this other than lining their pockets on the way out the door.

Aged Gaian

Procurements
Callidora
Procurements
Callidora
Procurements
Callidora

I'm old enough to really identify as both Gen X and Gen Y, though more Gen Y from how they're defining things now. I've seen a lot come and go. Tuition reimbursement at jobs that students do? Up in smoke. Pension plans? Gone. Social Security's being gutted. Energy's skyrocketing in cost and we'll likely hit peak oil, if not peak energy period sometime in our lifetime. Manufacturing jobs have all gone across the ocean or south of the border, meaning you have to go to college, and oh by the way that's skyrocketing in cost compared to inflation. Wages have been stagnant for years. The cost of living is much higher than it was even 20 years ago, let alone 40. The infrastructure's aging and falling apart and no one in Congress has the balls to turn down corporate money and actually invest in modernizing it, not to mention it was built around the car, so it isn't taking energy conservation into account. Unions are now toothless and powerless, leaving workers stuck with the choice of biting the bullet and being voiceless at work or going to the soup kitchen. Resources are becoming increasingly finite and the question of when we run out of key materials is becoming a concern for the first time in human existence. Not to mention the reality that we may be making the ocean too acidic, which could make our air unbreathable, and nothing's being done other than people turning "global warming" into a punchline for when a heat wave hits in January.

We're at a brink not just as a society, but as a species. Blaming boomers is a little unfair because these are issues that have been in the making for thousands of years, but boomers are doing absolutely nothing to help this other than lining their pockets on the way out the door.

But the thing to remember is just that - they are all on their way out the door and then the world will be ours to do with as we will. We'll have a mess to clean up, there is no doubt about it, but with luck and insight, we can leave the world a better for our children. You think I've sold out or rolled over, allowing myself to be fed s**t sandwiches, but I'm just biding my time, gearing up for the hard work to come.

Kaze Drimn's Prince

Lavish Businessman

Callidora
Procurements
Callidora
Procurements
Callidora

But the thing to remember is just that - they are all on their way out the door and then the world will be ours to do with as we will. We'll have a mess to clean up, there is no doubt about it, but with luck and insight, we can leave the world a better for our children. You think I've sold out or rolled over, allowing myself to be fed s**t sandwiches, but I'm just biding my time, gearing up for the hard work to come.

Maybe you haven't, but I'm horribly disappointed with Gen X as a whole. I grew up admiring them as arbiters of change, people that wanted things to be different and that were going to make them different on their terms. Instead, they settled down and decided being like Mom and Dad wasn't that awful after all. I mean, I'd say that the 90s were a greater opportunity for real, meaningful change than today is. Lots of turmoil at the time.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff