Welcome to Gaia! ::

Should one be given an inherent right to take one's own life?

Yes 0.76744186046512 76.7% [ 33 ]
No 0.23255813953488 23.3% [ 10 ]
Total Votes:[ 43 ]
< 1 2 3 4 >

Friendly Phantom

Silent Mule Man
I'm under the impression that a person's rights, typically concerning whether or not they're allowed to make certain choices, go right out the window in cases such as serious mental illness. Why the right to kill oneself would be any different, I couldn't tell you.

It seems that you're with the majority on that one. You should add your vote to my poll! In the end, after this thread dies down, it'd be nice to have some numbers to look at (not saying that numbers and statistics hold the truth, but I do think that when a poll is repeated a number of times in different environments, they can help you to quantify ideas).

There were originaly around 15 or so votes, but I had to delete the poll so as to re-phrase it in a less personally biased way, and that was completely on me. I think the numbers were around 66% / 33%, in favor of preventing suicide despite a person's will.

Lonely Browser

if a person feels that they want out and that suicide is the best option for them, then i think they should be allowed to do so. i mean, we already dont get the choice to whether we want to be here or not, so why force someone to do something they dont want to do? i feel its up to nobody but the person and that people should take guilt trips and pawning those who choose suicide and shove them. yeah its sad for those left behind, but its even sadder for the person who chose it. obviously.
No, it should never be.
It depends entirely on the situation. If you're terminally I'll and have several long painful months to live, you should have the right to have a doctor-assisted suicide. If you're suffering from a mental disorder, however, treatment should be provided.

We can't really pass judgement, though, when it comes to someone's life. It's their life to live. If they honestly feel like it's their time to go, who are we to stop them?

Dapper Codger

People have been ending their own lives since time began, so it kind of already is a right? You are born with a life, you have the right to take it as the owner of your life.
Now legally I believe it should be an option for people who are terminally ill or otherwise suffering from painful conditions that greatly reduce their quality of life. If someone wants it, it should be there for them and done safely and with support.

Friendly Phantom

See, this is really interesting...

Originally, the poll question was: "Is it wrong to prevent suicide?"

The results, around the time I close the poll, favored a "No" response. I believe the ratio was around 66% against 33%.

Now, the results say 80% to 20% that people think suicide should be a right.

I hadn't intended upon seeing this contrast, but rather I decided to change the poll question after realizing that it, and the initial post, were poorly worded and implied blame. Now, however, it is apparent that phrasing it as a defense of a person's right, rather than an attack against the person encroaching on that right, results in more people agreeing with it.

Like I've said, my intent was never to assign blame to people who act to prevent a suicide. This re-worded version of the poll is much clearer about that.

It seems the comparison from these two different poll results confirms that provoking a sympathetic response rather than an aggressive response is more effective, if you want to get someone to agree with you. Of course, there are a lot of examples of this I'm sure, one of them being the recent "right to farm" amendment that passed in Missouri. The "right to farm" bill actually is about protecting corporate big-agriculture interests over small farmers' (and organic farmers in particular) rights.

Friendly Phantom

I just realized how like, weird I sound in these messages. I swear I only sound like that when I'm sober.

Dapper Dabbler

First and foremost, I am completely for suicide prevention.
But in cases of terminal illnesses, I can completely understand not wanting to suffer. For example, the case of Brittany Maynard. she was dying anyway and only had a few months to live and did not wish to suffer or wish for her family to see her dwindle away and die suffering. There was no treatment that could have saved her. As far as mental disorders, I think treatment should be the main discussion.

Beloved Lunatic

MikkeB

The results, around the time I close the poll, favored a "No" response. I believe the ratio was around 66% against 33%.

I hadn't intended upon seeing this contrast, but rather I decided to change the poll question after realizing that it, and the initial post, were poorly worded and implied blame. Now, however, it is apparent that phrasing it as a defense of a person's right, rather than an attack against the person encroaching on that right, results in more people agreeing with it.

Like I've said, my intent was never to assign blame to people who act to prevent a suicide. This re-worded version of the poll is much clearer about that.

It seems the comparison from these two different poll results confirms that provoking a sympathetic response rather than an aggressive response is more effective, if you want to get someone to agree with you. Of course, there are a lot of examples of this I'm sure, one of them being the recent "right to farm" amendment that passed in Missouri. The "right to farm" bill actually is about protecting corporate big-agriculture interests over small farmers' (and organic farmers in particular) rights.

Well, it's perfectly reasonable to think suicide should be prevented and think we should have the right to commit suicide. It just requires that the suicide prevention not be done by force. Think about the right to free speech. We might not forcefully silence a person, but if they're abusing their right we might use social pressure or ostracism to shut them up. Same with suicide. Maybe people won't tie you down so you can't hurt yourself, but they'll probably try to talk you down from it.

Friendly Phantom

from blue to
MikkeB

Well, it's perfectly reasonable to think suicide should be prevented and think we should have the right to commit suicide. It just requires that the suicide prevention not be done by force. Think about the right to free speech. We might not forcefully silence a person, but if they're abusing their right we might use social pressure or ostracism to shut them up. Same with suicide. Maybe people won't tie you down so you can't hurt yourself, but they'll probably try to talk you down from it.

True. Maybe if we were to transition, as a culture that is generally condemning of suicide, to a culture that accepts it as a common reality and takes a different approach in trying to prevent it, the first step might be to change state policy in addressing a potential suicide case.
When the person is standing on the ledge, rather than trying to talk them down right there and also (where possible) preventing them from actually being able to die via their chosen method, we might try telling them over the loudspeaker that what they are doing is not shameful, that they should not feel guilty for wanting to escape, and offering them a safer and quicker method, as well as some additional time to discuss it with friends and family and to communicate their feelings.
Some people with death wishes will have trouble communicating genuinely at all, but they can be offerred counseling through that. In general, we could make suicide legal and work the system into one of gradual resolution that does not assume indefinite success.

Beloved Lunatic

MikkeB
from blue to
MikkeB

True. Maybe if we were to transition, as a culture that is generally condemning of suicide, to a culture that accepts it as a common reality and takes a different approach in trying to prevent it, the first step might be to change state policy in addressing a potential suicide case.
When the person is standing on the ledge, rather than trying to talk them down right there and also (where possible) preventing them from actually being able to die via their chosen method, we might try telling them over the loudspeaker that what they are doing is not shameful, that they should not feel guilty for wanting to escape, and offering them a safer and quicker method, as well as some additional time to discuss it with friends and family and to communicate their feelings.
Some people with death wishes will have trouble communicating genuinely at all, but they can be offerred counseling through that. In general, we could make suicide legal and work the system into one of gradual resolution that does not assume indefinite success.

Sounds like a plan.

Aged Codger

9,675 Points
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Brandisher 100
  • Destroyer of Cuteness 150
Sure, why th' hell not? Jus' 'cause ye don't agree wit' th' choice doesn't mean they be mentally ill. I mean, ye don't have ta' be mentally ill ta' kill someone, so why should ye have ta' be mentally ill ta' kill yerslef?

Friendly Phantom

Kaptain K Rool
Sure, why th' hell not? Jus' 'cause ye don't agree wit' th' choice doesn't mean they be mentally ill. I mean, ye don't have ta' be mentally ill ta' kill someone, so why should ye have ta' be mentally ill ta' kill yerslef?

I'm sorry but I was just distracted by how amazing your everything on Gaia is. I never concieved of a person being as dedicated to Donkey Kong and Piratism as you ARRRRRRR.
Every option should be exhausted before suicide is thought of as an option to give to people. And before suicide is given as an option, researchers should come and research new options

Big Member

10,675 Points
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Noob wrangler 100
  • Brandisher 100
Suicide should be punishable by death.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers