Welcome to Gaia! ::

Familiar Friend

some couple decided to not reveal the gender of their baby/child to anyone for years...i think it's a swell idea!

i was just thinking about this… there is really no point in telling people the gender of your child. what are you telling people when you tell them the gender of your 2-year old anyway? you are are telling them is what is between his/her legs. you also are telling people how to treat your child. but! people shouldn’t treat your child differently whether they are a boy or girl. i would argue gender is irrelevant to a person in early childhood-maybe even at older ages too-but i’m still trying to figure that out. so the only thing you tell people when you tell them the gender of your child is what is between his/her legs…which is no one’s business. the only problem is that this is an unpopular idea and your child will have some struggles if you actually do this. that is why i would do this….but only if i had a support group with other similar parents/children. i would just give my child toys/clothes/haircuts that he or she wanted instead of pandering to his or her gender.

something really disturbing to consider is that ***** would be completely confused if everyone did this. kinda interesting.

discuss

7,150 Points
  • Survivor 150
  • Tycoon 200
  • Wall Street 200

Familiar Friend

******** asshats
The problem with this is, first, that a kid misses out on gender-segregated activities like sports, sleepovers, summer camps, and so on. Second, kids are very good at finding patterns and are notoriously uncomfortable when the pattern breaks down. If they notice that everyone has 5 fingers and Andy has 3, they're weirded out by that. If they notice that everyone is a boy a girl except for this one kid who doesn't know its own gender, they'll be really weirded out by that. Third, kids like belonging to groups... they like to know that they're left-handed and all the other left-handed kids are special just like them, or whatever. Getting left out of a grouping that any other kid can join is alienating.

By the way, I believe the DSM-IV specifically defines ***** as attraction to children irrespective of gender... but the general point you're making is good. The media loves to sexualize minors, and it would be harder to sexualize them if you didn't know which gender you were trying to sexualize them as.

Conservative Dabbler

8,950 Points
  • Forum Dabbler 200
  • Popular Thread 100
  • Citizen 200
What an absolutely...*breathe..calm*

Those parents, are not very intelligent in my eyes.

Shadowy Seeker

16,150 Points
  • Marathon 300
  • Tested Practitioner 250
  • Grunny Harvester 150

I think this is a good idea, at least for the first few years. Obviously, when the kid hits school-age, things get a lot more complicated.

But hell, if I ever have a kid, that kid's gonna get dressed in gender-neutral colors for a loooong time.

User Image
Haha Coffee
What an absolutely...*breathe..calm*

Those parents, are not very intelligent in my eyes.

Less intelligent than those who force lifestyles and beliefs into their children?

But to me the problem seems to be a question of disadvantage: in a society still segregated by gender, is this a wise choice? As much as I dislike gender discrimination, I do wonder what this choice will do for the life of the kid who had their parents wishes pushed upon them. I accept that the kid will only be disadvantaged by existing stigma, and that's not fair but... I guess I'm questioning the introduction of hardship, not that people cannot be gender neutral if they wish.

Mega Noob

In the spirit of this I will not reveal the weight of eventual offspring until they are at least 12 years old. After that I will send out letters with pictures and the current weight attached.
Meirelle

I think this is a good idea, at least for the first few years. Obviously, when the kid hits school-age, things get a lot more complicated.

But hell, if I ever have a kid, that kid's gonna get dressed in gender-neutral colors for a loooong time.

User Image

Just colours? Or are they going to be a whirlwind of general androgyny?
seems silly to me.
This might be an okay thing to do if humans had no biology and thus were completely subject to the whims of others and could be molded like clay to be anything.

However I highly doubt we have inherited nothing for nearly 3.8 billion years that life has been living and evolving on this planet.

Angelic Husband

11,300 Points
  • Millionaire 200
  • Tycoon 200
  • Popular Thread 100
I don't see why anyone would do that. It's silly to deny your child's gender, if that is the intention of such a thing

Hallowed Smoker

Sounds like the perfect publicity stunt to get media attention.

Kuja is right, they should of just cut themselves.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff