Do you believe in "thin privileged?"

No 0.59615384615385 59.6% [ 62 ]
Yes 0.40384615384615 40.4% [ 42 ]
Total Votes:[ 104 ]
< 1 2 3 4 5 6 3 4 5 6 7 ... 19 20 21 > >>

Keltoi Samurai
Riviera de la Mancha
d a n d y - f a t - c a t
There are some people who deem those who are thinner than them to be "thin privileged." I got into it with this one girl who would make rude remarks to those who were thinner than her and basically saying that any one who is thin is privileged. She also blames her weight on everyone but herself.

I personally do not believe such a thing exists and unless you have a medical issue then it is all YOUR decisions that determine who you are and what you may look like in terms of weight.
I dislike when people blame their being overweight on other people. I mean, we all make our own decisions. If they do not like their weight they should do something about it.

What do YOU think about this?
Discuss "Thin privileges"
Do you believe it is a real thing?
Do you feel those who are thin are "privileged?"
Do you think people are responsible for their own weight?

First, by 'thin privilege', people are usually referring to certain benefits you collect just by being thin and conforming to expected norms. This is certainly true. Go to any singles bar, and let me know how many fat chicks get hit on. Look at the workers who are on their way up the management ladder. Let me know how many fat people you see in that group. Our society does confer unearned benefits to skinny people.

Second, I dislike it when people oversimplify things which are very complex, like weight gain. Yes, at a basic level, most people's weight is something in their purview of control. However, our scientific knowledge, which is continuing to expand in this subject, is leading us to the conclusion that there are alot of factors you don't decide. This being the case, by not addressing these factors and the very real possibility that these factors can coalesce to make some people's weight loss journey tougher than others, you don't do full service to the topic.

the funny thing about the thing you said about "fat chicks?" I actually ran into something a short time ago ( may have been a Cracked article, not sure ) that really provided evidence that the so-called "fat chicks" would actually be the way to go in such scenarios, something about how the thinner a woman is, the less likely she is to engage in coitus, or some such. the actual study mentioned a s**t ton of variables involved, like poor impulse control, or lack of self confidence leading to the seeking of validation through sex . . . oddly, never tied it to anything even vaguely positive, basically boiling down to "fatties ******** more, and that's terrible," but the study seems to indicate that, in the shallow world of "singles bars," where the whole point for . . . probably most of those involved there is to add another person to the list of "conquests," or however they call "anonymous sex with someone they never intend to see again," maybe men so interested in that kind of situation should be paying closer attention to them.

That type of analysis is looking at different things. I am looking at privilege. Whatever article you are referring to is likely taking a more pragmatic analysis, with the assumption being that the person is simply seeking sex, and will get it where ever possible. Under such an analysis, yes, the fat chick is, pardon the pun, low-hanging fruit.

Aged Lunatic

Of all the people who don't need extra affirmation and self esteem, thin people rank pretty high up on the list.

Enduring Phantom

Adored Admirer

Resonare Praeteriti
User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

Watch out with that meme privilege.

Sweetest Wife

19,325 Points
  • The Sweetest 250
  • Simple Romantic 50
  • The Edgiest 250
Riviera de la Mancha

Sorry, but, unless you are also dating someone who is big, you will likely never find a companion or fling, certainly not someone fitting the social ideal (the exception of course is chubby chasers, who are not only uncommon but also like women for their bodies. They just happen to like big bodies.).

There are a number of factors which we are just beginning to understand. These include more recent discoveries that even the actions of the mother, while the child is in the womb, can influence genetic structure that can lead to weight problems. Other factors include where you live, which can influence your access to healthy foods and areas to be active. Food itself can also change the bodies' structure, so that, even if you are trying to make changes, your body may not be moving at the same pace. Psychological elements are also a factor too, most of which people are not aware of (some of my favorites being that studies have shown that the size and color of your plate influences how much you eat, and that whom you associate with and even where you eat influences your caloric intake.).

I am not sorry- I don't think people who refuse to recognize scientific advancements and continue to hold on to archaic notions deserve anything more than condemnation of their arguments.

She is indeed correct- there are privileges that come from being thin. And, just as there are fat people who either cant control their weight or just face a whole lot of obstacles in that endeavor, there are skinny people who can't control (and thus can't earn) their weight or face comparatively few if any obstacles to their being skinny.

I have seen things about the food presentation, how people are more likely to eat colorful foods or decorated foods. I do not see how I am refusing to recognize scientific advancements? I asked you didn't I? This is a discussion, so of course I am open to learning and talking with others. People can be active in their own homes. It is not that difficult. Nor is it difficult to eat healthier. In American culture we do eat more at each meal than many other countries. But we have the decision not to as well. It is also the parent's job to keep their child's weight under control until they are old enough to make their own decisions. There are many ways to achieve the body that one may want. It may take a while but it can be done. People DO work for their weight. They believe that they earn it. A fellow in this thread posted how he had lost some weight by getting up and doing something about it.

It is as easy as that.

Enduring Phantom

Pseudo-Onkelos
Resonare Praeteriti

Eloquent Elocutionist

6,050 Points
  • Lavish Tipper 200
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Elocutionist 200
GunsmithKitten
Of all the people who don't need extra affirmation and self esteem, thin people rank pretty high up on the list.

What if they're thin because they have self-esteem issues which feed into an eating disorder? surprised

Adored Admirer

Resonare Praeteriti
Pseudo-Onkelos
Resonare Praeteriti

lol That one reminds me of Stewie.

Aged Lunatic

gonk
Yoshpet
GunsmithKitten

What if they're thin because they have self-esteem issues which feed into an eating disorder? surprised

The pity given them is because of the health problems that anorexia and bulemia lead to. They are not given that pity because of their thinness.

Alien Dog

17,850 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Voter 100
  • Mark Twain 100
Pseudo-Onkelos
Anything that is the norm seems to be a privilege.

arguably, yes, in that by conforming to the norm, you will inherently be viewed more favorably by others who also conform to the norm.

the problem here, of course, is that privilege theory as it's used in the soft sciences, completely fails to take into account the micro-level, at the point where it affects individuals, and would rather make broad, sweeping generalisations about the macro level, then force it onto the individual.

for instance, part of "white privilege" is that CEOs are overwhelmingly white. this affects maybe 1% of white people, but under privilege theory, this conveys the advantages of CEO status to every white person, from the white employees working under the CEO of a Fortune 500 company, all the way down to the homeless white man begging for change outside the liquor store that White Steve from Accounting bought a bottle of scotch from six years ago.

basically, privilege as it's used now is the new racism, in that it's a way to make sweeping generalisations about a person based on nothing more than their appearance, and be praised for your progressiveness while doing so. it's really no different than the various "race theories" of the 19th century that broke humanity down to the "Caucasoid" "Negroid" and "Mongoloid" races, each descended from a different primate ancestor, and in time modern privilege theory will sound just as racist to our descendants as the notion that blacks came from gorillas, Asians from orangutans and whites from chimpanzees sounds to us.

Enduring Phantom

Pseudo-Onkelos
Resonare Praeteriti
Pseudo-Onkelos
Resonare Praeteriti

Holy s**t, cannot unsee! rofl

Alien Dog

17,850 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Voter 100
  • Mark Twain 100
Riviera de la Mancha
Keltoi Samurai
Riviera de la Mancha
There are some people who deem those who are thinner than them to be "thin privileged." I got into it with this one girl who would make rude remarks to those who were thinner than her and basically saying that any one who is thin is privileged. She also blames her weight on everyone but herself.

I personally do not believe such a thing exists and unless you have a medical issue then it is all YOUR decisions that determine who you are and what you may look like in terms of weight.
I dislike when people blame their being overweight on other people. I mean, we all make our own decisions. If they do not like their weight they should do something about it.

First, by 'thin privilege', people are usually referring to certain benefits you collect just by being thin and conforming to expected norms. This is certainly true. Go to any singles bar, and let me know how many fat chicks get hit on. Look at the workers who are on their way up the management ladder. Let me know how many fat people you see in that group. Our society does confer unearned benefits to skinny people.

Second, I dislike it when people oversimplify things which are very complex, like weight gain. Yes, at a basic level, most people's weight is something in their purview of control. However, our scientific knowledge, which is continuing to expand in this subject, is leading us to the conclusion that there are alot of factors you don't decide. This being the case, by not addressing these factors and the very real possibility that these factors can coalesce to make some people's weight loss journey tougher than others, you don't do full service to the topic.

the funny thing about the thing you said about "fat chicks?" I actually ran into something a short time ago ( may have been a Cracked article, not sure ) that really provided evidence that the so-called "fat chicks" would actually be the way to go in such scenarios, something about how the thinner a woman is, the less likely she is to engage in coitus, or some such. the actual study mentioned a s**t ton of variables involved, like poor impulse control, or lack of self confidence leading to the seeking of validation through sex . . . oddly, never tied it to anything even vaguely positive, basically boiling down to "fatties ******** more, and that's terrible," but the study seems to indicate that, in the shallow world of "singles bars," where the whole point for . . . probably most of those involved there is to add another person to the list of "conquests," or however they call "anonymous sex with someone they never intend to see again," maybe men so interested in that kind of situation should be paying closer attention to them.

That type of analysis is looking at different things. I am looking at privilege. Whatever article you are referring to is likely taking a more pragmatic analysis, with the assumption being that the person is simply seeking sex, and will get it where ever possible. Under such an analysis, yes, the fat chick is, pardon the pun, low-hanging fruit.

right, right, but my point is that, if we look at which one should have the advantage, versus which one does, we find that privilege in this case is skewed toward a failure model, completely backwards in terms of who aught have the privilege, given the environment and the goals thereof.
Riviera de la Mancha

Sorry, but, unless you are also dating someone who is big, you will likely never find a companion or fling, certainly not someone fitting the social ideal (the exception of course is chubby chasers, who are not only uncommon but also like women for their bodies. They just happen to like big bodies.).

There are a number of factors which we are just beginning to understand. These include more recent discoveries that even the actions of the mother, while the child is in the womb, can influence genetic structure that can lead to weight problems. Other factors include where you live, which can influence your access to healthy foods and areas to be active. Food itself can also change the bodies' structure, so that, even if you are trying to make changes, your body may not be moving at the same pace. Psychological elements are also a factor too, most of which people are not aware of (some of my favorites being that studies have shown that the size and color of your plate influences how much you eat, and that whom you associate with and even where you eat influences your caloric intake.).

I am not sorry- I don't think people who refuse to recognize scientific advancements and continue to hold on to archaic notions deserve anything more than condemnation of their arguments.

She is indeed correct- there are privileges that come from being thin. And, just as there are fat people who either cant control their weight or just face a whole lot of obstacles in that endeavor, there are skinny people who can't control (and thus can't earn) their weight or face comparatively few if any obstacles to their being skinny.

I have seen things about the food presentation, how people are more likely to eat colorful foods or decorated foods. I do not see how I am refusing to recognize scientific advancements? I asked you didn't I? This is a discussion, so of course I am open to learning and talking with others. People can be active in their own homes. It is not that difficult. Nor is it difficult to eat healthier. In American culture we do eat more at each meal than many other countries. But we have the decision not to as well. It is also the parent's job to keep their child's weight under control until they are old enough to make their own decisions. There are many ways to achieve the body that one may want. It may take a while but it can be done. People DO work for their weight. They believe that they earn it. A fellow in this thread posted how he had lost some weight by getting up and doing something about it.

It is as easy as that.

You assume people have sufficient space to 'be active' in their homes. Ever been to a regular New York apartment for a family of four? You are lucky if you can turn around without elbowing someone.

As I have said before- the issue is not about whether there are practical alternatives. My position has been that you need to look at the flip-side; not just what people can do, but what are practical barriers to those actions. Sure, anyone can theoretically get up and go for a run, but is that realistic when you are dealing with someone who is, say, obese and has knees which can't support their weight and has no idea how to even begin an activity regimen? Yeah, apples are certainly in supermarkets, but is it all that rational to think that a kid who was raised on Twinkies and Cheetos is likely going to choose that option?

As I said before, your analysis is simply too shallow. It attempts to reduce everything to choice when there are a number of factors we don't choose which go beyond standard diseases that can present very difficult, and sometimes down right unattainable unless adjusted, goals. To sit back and ignore that some of us have to only to walk up a paved incline to get in shape while others have to scale Mt. Everest is just, not to be offensive, stupid.
Keltoi Samurai
Riviera de la Mancha
Keltoi Samurai
Riviera de la Mancha

right, right, but my point is that, if we look at which one should have the advantage, versus which one does, we find that privilege in this case is skewed toward a failure model, completely backwards in terms of who aught have the privilege, given the environment and the goals thereof.

None of that discusses whether or not there is such a privilege or indeed what that privilege is. In fact, if anything, it is predicated on the idea that there is a thin privilege and that a part of it is certainly given to people who did not 'earn' it.

Adored Admirer

Resonare Praeteriti
Pseudo-Onkelos
Resonare Praeteriti
Pseudo-Onkelos
Resonare Praeteriti

Holy s**t, cannot unsee! rofl

I always read that with his voice as the narrator.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff