Welcome to Gaia! ::

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/09/11/is-peanut-butter-and-jelly-racist_n_1874905.html

Basically because PB&J Sandwhiches are often considered the norm and spoken about as such in schools without regard to other ethnic staples such as tortillas or peta bread, it is a sign of white privilege and racism.

wat.

They then go to talk about a program where school staff members read news articles/ect and then read them from the point of view of "white privilege" . I can get behind this sort of. Reading contemporary news articles and contemplating/discussing/debating whether or not they come from a place of privilege seems like a reasonable thing.

But for God's sake, PB&J is racist? It isn't a white staple, it is an American staple.

Discuss.
burkowits
It isn't a white staple, it is an American staple.

This is actually why it is being argued to be racist. Although it isn't saying that PB&J is something exclusive to white people, the way cultures function will inevitably mean that there will by non-white individuals who will not have PB&J, as they may eat something else, which is closely associated with their culture, for lunch.

Now, if PB&J is "American," then where does it leave this people who are not eating PB&J? They are implied not to be "American." The reason it is being touted as racist is not because white people are being valorised directly. People are raising concerns that it implies that anyone who does not eat PB&J are going to be judged as "Not American." An implication which would likely only affect POC, as a white person is not going to be consider "Unamerican" because they to not eat PB&J, as the are assumed to be American by default.
The Willow Of Darkness
burkowits

This is actually why it is being argued to be racist. Although it isn't saying that PB&J is something exclusive to white people, the way cultures function will inevitably mean that there will by non-white individuals who will not have a to PB&J, as they may eat something else, which is closely associated with their culture, for lunch.

Now, if PB&J is "American," then where does it leave this people who are not eating PB&J? They are implied not to be "American." The reason it is being touted as racist is not because white people are being valorised directly. People are raising concerns that it implies that anyone who does not eat PB&J are going to be judged as "Not American." An implication which would likely only affect POC, as a white person is not going to be consider "Unamerican" because they to not eat PB&J, as the are assumed to be American by default.

Ah but you haven't considered the influence of the latest Post-Structuralist Theory in your writing here, the concept of "what actual people give a s**t about".

Alien Dog

17,850 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Voter 100
  • Mark Twain 100
Person spouting off ridiculous, patronizing policy devised by Irresponsible White People
“What about Somali or Hispanic students, who might not eat sandwiches?” Gutierrez said, according to the Tribune. “Another way would be to say: ‘Americans eat peanut butter and jelly, do you have anything like that?’ Let them tell you. Maybe they eat torta. Or pita.”

Or, in other words, "Here in America, we have these wondrous things called 'sandwiches,' I'm sure you've never heard of such a thing, and we eat them for 'lunch.' Tell me, what do you eat in the Third World shithole you come from?"

The worst part? they made it out at the end of the article as if this were an attempt to reach out to Black students ( saying specifically, "African-American." ), like the Black students in an American school aren't gonna have any idea what the Hell a damn sammich is. I guess it's assumed they could never afford bread or things to put on bread, what with them living in the projects, off of Government cheese and crack, so they need these teachers to tell them what sammiches are, and ask them about their mysterious Black Ghetto Chow.

I AM R U's Spouse

Blessed Rogue

10,775 Points
  • Megathread 100
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Mega Tipsy 100
Well that settles it. I must be racist. Excuse me while I go make me a racism sandwich.

I AM R U's Spouse

Blessed Rogue

10,775 Points
  • Megathread 100
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Mega Tipsy 100
The Willow Of Darkness
burkowits

This is actually why it is being argued to be racist. Although it isn't saying that PB&J is something exclusive to white people, the way cultures function will inevitably mean that there will by non-white individuals who will not have PB&J, as they may eat something else, which is closely associated with their culture, for lunch.

Now, if PB&J is "American," then where does it leave this people who are not eating PB&J?

They can be "American", too. It's not really a matter of "Eating PB&J is American. Anything else is Communist!". It's just that PB&J is one of a number of "American" cultural staples.

Quote:
They are implied not to be "American."

No they're not.

Quote:
The reason it is being touted as racist is not because white people are being valorised directly. People are raising concerns that it implies that anyone who does not eat PB&J are going to be judged as "Not American." An implication which would likely only affect POC, as a white person is not going to be consider "Unamerican" because they to not eat PB&J, as the are assumed to be American by default.

That is an incredibly dumb perspective...

Alien Dog

17,850 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Voter 100
  • Mark Twain 100
The Willow Of Darkness
burkowits

from the article:

More Irresponsible White People
“Persistently we have not done a good enough job educating students of color and specifically African-American students,” Cowie told Fox. "That’s what the program is addressing. How can we find a way to support African American students, their families – so that we are producing better outcomes and narrowing the achievement gap.”

so, tell me, do African Americans not have sammiches? is the sammich such a foreign concept in the Ghetto ( considering the article talks about asking them about food "where they come from," then goes on to talk about African American students, specifically, they must've thought African American students come from somewhere different than white students ) that black people have trouble relating to discussion of food served on bread?

and, on the subject of Hispanic and Somali students, is it really being more culturally sensitive to have teachers walk up to them and say "Hey! you're not white! what strange and exotic things do you eat instead of sammiches?"
This really is a bunch of unbelievable trash from out of touch people paid to think about literally anything for writing fodder.
My boyfriend is not American, he's Greek Cypriot, he's going to become American. Partly for me and because his country sucks (says he) but also because he really loves it here so far.
Main thing is I'm watching and handling the becoming of an American first ******** hand. Are there culture clashes? Yeah, funny a** s**t mostly.
First time he ordered a Hi-C from a vendor he asked for a "Hick" lol.

Now since my bf is an actual person and not the orientalized childlike innocent that academic articles like this assume of non WASPs, he doesn't have some sort of crushing identity crisis over stuff like this. In fact he understands the whole "gee im not in kansas anymore". But he's kinda proud of that too so it's cool. And because it's a ******** fruit punch, much like this is a ******** sandwich, it doesn't register for s**t.
The actual Americanization stuff? Feeling like an American? That's deeper and much more important s**t. Being made to feel welcome by folks here as if it weren't no thing to have an obvious foreigner around was paramount.
Do they make pb&j in Cyprus? Christ no.
Does that make him feel un-American?

Hell what the ******** kind of America did the article writer even imagine where immigrants come and bow down to the great idols of sandwiches and hamburgers. The ********? They bring their own delicious s**t and sell it to masses of mouth watering people. It's like the rule of law where I live that you have ethnic food readily available in every minor/major metropolitan area. b***h I can eat ERITREAN for lunch if I want. Bet you don't even know where the hell that is!
And what do you think I have for lunch? PB&J? Naw, the bf cooks up some stuff like his mama taught him.

And you know what's reaaaaly American? Every goddamn thing about our story lol.
The Willow Of Darkness

I go to school with a lot of Cuban kids, or well, Hispanic. Their parents were Cuban/immigrated. They bring a ton of native/authentic cuban food to school for their lunches. I often trade my lunches/candy/ect with them for their food, because it is ******** delicious.

Never once have I thought of them as less American for what they eat.

I could eat nothing but Brats and Sauerkraut for weeks, and nobody would think I was German despite my blond hair and blue eyes.

This isn't about what people eat. Or even about privilege over whether or not I am assumed to be American because I am white. PB&J Sandwiches are not racist.

People are racist. The person who looks at the Hispanic kids at my school and thinks they aren't American because what they eat is on a Tortilla or because they eat plantains or whatever the case may be, are ******** retarded racists.

So how do you address the PB&Jism? Make school lunches more diverse? My school serves, depending on the day, pizza/tacos/pasta/salads, sweet and sour chicken, sandwiches ranging from PB&J to chicken salad, grilled cheese, and tons more.

You can't call a sandwich racist and address the problem addressing the sandwich, because that would MAKE SENSE. People forget that those who see this as an issue in their heads are RETARDED ******** RACISTS. They hate people based on their skin. If they can't hate based on what these kids are cramming in their mouths they will hate based on what they wear, the music they listen to, the words they use, ect, because hating them is a pre-decided position, and they are just looking for excuses to justify their irrational hatred.

The sandwich isn't racist, it is irrelevant.

Alien Dog

17,850 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Voter 100
  • Mark Twain 100
black_wing_angel
Well that settles it. I must be racist. Excuse me while I go make me a racism sandwich.

I find it funny that assuming everyone learned what a damn sammich was, through cultural osmosis if mot from first hand experience, is considered more racist than a policy of demanding what strange, exotic and unheard-of foodstuffs are consumed by every random non-white person the teachers encounter, as if not being white precludes them from ever having thought that food served on bread could ever be consumed for a midday meal.

basically, it's "hey, let's be as racist as we can possibly be, and tell everyone we're being culturally sensitive! quick, let's single out everyone who's skin is darker than a creamy beige and demand they share with us the deep, cultural secrets they must be hiding in their pantries at home. I mean, they're so different-looking, there's no way they could ever have something as basic as a common food staple in common with us, right?"

somehow, we've devolved back to the mindset of singling out people based on their race to combat racism. it's how concepts like "Separate but Equal" get started, too.
lol at the idea of immigrants from Somalia dwelling on peanut butter sandwiches.

"Hi, I just escaped from arguably the worst place on the face of the earth to come somewhere peaceful and rich, but I must remark on my deep issues with being made to feel alienated because I am not familiar with a local lunch food."
Keltoi Samurai
black_wing_angel

I find it funny that assuming everyone learned what a damn sammich was, through cultural osmosis if mot from first hand experience, is considered more racist than a policy of demanding what strange, exotic and unheard-of foodstuffs are consumed by every random non-white person the teachers encounter, as if not being white precludes them from ever having thought that food served on bread could ever be consumed for a midday meal.

basically, it's "hey, let's be as racist as we can possibly be, and tell everyone we're being culturally sensitive! quick, let's single out everyone who's skin is darker than a creamy beige and demand they share with us the deep, cultural secrets they must be hiding in their pantries at home. I mean, they're so different-looking, there's no way they could ever have something as basic as a common food staple in common with us, right?"

somehow, we've devolved back to the mindset of singling out people based on their race to combat racism. it's how concepts like "Separate but Equal" get started, too.

I guess my bf is white, but I dunno. Greeks are confusing, Greek Cypriots even more so.
How oppressed is he or not!!!!???

Alien Dog

17,850 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Voter 100
  • Mark Twain 100
New Thought Queen
This really is a bunch of unbelievable trash from out of touch people paid to think about literally anything for writing fodder.
My boyfriend is not American, he's Greek Cypriot, he's going to become American. Partly for me and because his country sucks (says he) but also because he really loves it here so far.
Main thing is I'm watching and handling the becoming of an American first ******** hand. Are there culture clashes? Yeah, funny a** s**t mostly.
First time he ordered a Hi-C from a vendor he asked for a "Hick" lol.

Now since my bf is an actual person and not the orientalized childlike innocent that academic articles like this assume of non WASPs, he doesn't have some sort of crushing identity crisis over stuff like this. In fact he understands the whole "gee im not in kansas anymore". But he's kinda proud of that too so it's cool. And because it's a ******** fruit punch, much like this is a ******** sandwich, it doesn't register for s**t.
The actual Americanization stuff? Feeling like an American? That's deeper and much more important s**t. Being made to feel welcome by folks here as if it weren't no thing to have an obvious foreigner around was paramount.
Do they make pb&j in Cyprus? Christ no.
Does that make him feel un-American?

Hell what the ******** kind of America did the article writer even imagine where immigrants come and bow down to the great idols of sandwiches and hamburgers. The ********? They bring their own delicious s**t and sell it to masses of mouth watering people. It's like the rule of law where I live that you have ethnic food readily available in every minor/major metropolitan area. b***h I can eat ERITREAN for lunch if I want. Bet you don't even know where the hell that is!
And what do you think I have for lunch? PB&J? Naw, the bf cooks up some stuff like his mama taught him.

And you know what's reaaaaly American? Every goddamn thing about our story lol.

never thought I'd say this in response to you, but Amen to that!

that's what makes America great. it's not about "this here's American, and if you eat this, you're the enemy," it's literally "this here's American, and this is Greek, and this is Italian, and this is etc, etc, etc, and eat up, because in the end, it's ALL American!"

I say to myself, "I think I'll hit the Indian restaurant down the street" and nobody declares me less of an American for it, because in the end, American Culture is an amalgamation of fecking everything! I drink a Guinness on St. Patrick's Day, and the whole bar joins me. I hoist a Corona on Cinco de Mayo, and everyone joins in.

arguably, the only people who would worry about a damn sammich being too American for the Black and Hispanic students is a bunch of irresponsible white people who are already convinced, somewhere deep down that the Black and Hispanic students aren't really American, after all.

I AM R U's Spouse

Blessed Rogue

10,775 Points
  • Megathread 100
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Mega Tipsy 100
Keltoi Samurai
black_wing_angel

I agree.

basically, it's "hey, let's be as racist as we can possibly be, and tell everyone we're being culturally sensitive! quick, let's single out everyone who's skin is darker than a creamy beige and demand they share with us the deep, cultural secrets they must be hiding in their pantries at home.

The biggest secret in my pantry, is Hormel chili.

Oh, and my secret (still being perfected, to this day) recipe for homemade hot wings. Not terribly hot. Anyone can make a wing that tastes like molten lava. The emphasis is on flavor. Specifically good ol' genuine Bourbon whiskey. biggrin

Quote:
I mean, they're so different-looking, there's no way they could ever have something as basic as a common food staple in common with us, right?"

Especially the Mexicans. "Hold up. You're telling me that in your country, they put stuff in between 2 slices of flour dough? So...it's a quesadilla, right?"

Quote:

Jim Crowe would be so proud....

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces