Welcome to Gaia! ::

Fanatical Zealot

from blue to
Suicidesoldier#1
Of course it is.

Then how will they make money in the economy? 3nodding

By becoming auntrepi...entropa...interpenu...er, business starters. You don't need smarts for that, right?

I believe the correct word you're looking for is "thinger doers for stuff". 3nodding

It is what an edumucation is for! blaugh

Dapper Reveler

Fermionic
Avgvsto
Slasher65rm

3.) How much of a highschool education do you actually use in college?
Why is college more important than high school?

In the sense of it being "higher education"?
Isn't the person with less education more in need than the person with more?

Fashionable Shopper

My husband dropped out of both high school and college. Going to school long-term wasn't for him. In his defense he dropped out of high school because he would have had to repeat the year due to a teacher who accused him of cheating. His parents watched him research and write a paper. This teacher decided that this wasn't true and wanted to fail him. He just decided this wasn't worth it. He dropped out, got his GED and went to college one year later. Eventually college told him his time has run out and that he dropped too many credits. Now he has a job in nondestructive testing which he got on the job training for. It doesn't pay enough because he's not a level three yet. But almost no one I know has gone into what they went to school for.
Avgvsto
Fermionic
Avgvsto
Slasher65rm

3.) How much of a highschool education do you actually use in college?
Why is college more important than high school?

In the sense of it being "higher education"?
Isn't the person with less education more in need than the person with more?

Which is why the question is a poor one.
won't matter when we all poison and pollute the earth so much that we are dead in 50 yrs

high school is miserable and i'm not saying that b/c i'm in high school in fact the more i look back on it now that i'm an adult i think i feel even more bitter about it

elementary school was somewhat better
Old Blue Collar Joe
SirPuzzle
Slasher65rm
I am in college-- however it has come to my attention that I have many highschool drop out friends doing better than me. But thanks for contributing razz

Because trends can be determined by looking at a very short time frame.

Come on, this isn't rocket science. Look 10 years down the road, your high school drop out friends won't be doing better than you.

Depends a lot on what the major is.

Even on that point I'd have to disagree.

Yes your major is obviously very important, but comparing any college educated person to a person with no high school diploma?

Can people with no high school diploma even get a job at a fast food restaurant?
SirPuzzle
Old Blue Collar Joe
SirPuzzle
Slasher65rm
I am in college-- however it has come to my attention that I have many highschool drop out friends doing better than me. But thanks for contributing razz

Come on, this isn't rocket science. Look 10 years down the road, your high school drop out friends won't be doing better than you.

Yes your major is obviously very important, but comparing any college educated person to a person with no high school diploma?

Can people with no high school diploma even get a job at a fast food restaurant?

That's quite rude.People without high school diplomas are educated and fully capable of working entry to medium level jobs
Slasher65rm
SirPuzzle
Good luck surviving on your own if you drop out of high school.

That's all that really needs to be said.

"4.) Should there be highschool reforms?"

It's not the highschool's that need to be reformed, it's the kids who drop out or want to drop out who need to be reformed.

Everyone always wants to blame the schools and the teachers, but often it's not the school or the teachers that are the problem it's the ******** students.

Pay attention in class, get your s**t together, stop complaining, learn to sit still and shut up. It isn't that difficult, it just takes a bit of discipline or curiosity, there's a problem with people if they are unable to do this.

Curiosity? How could you possibly be curious when you have a white piece of paper laid in front of you with 20 questions, asking you exactly what you just read on a white board. Kids don't care about the cellular structure of the human body. They have no reason to care, unless they aspire to be something in the medical field. And you know what? After going to college for psychology, I am only using 1/3 what I learned in school. And I find it absurd that I had to learn some of the things I did. Sorry, I meant copy some words off of a white board on to a piece of paper. College is NOT like Highschool. I get intereactive learning and asignments, my professor does not make us copy words for a test. He makes us experience them, and makes us ask questions. And that's why I feel like my friends could be doing exactly what I am doing, even if they never took advanced algebra or Chemistry.

There's your problem, you went to school for psychology.

If you would have gotten a degree in physics, economics, accounting, engineering, computer science, or math, those majors are centered around solving problems.

I have never taken a psychology class in college but I'm guessing it's just like most humanities courses, it's all about just remembering a bunch of stuff and writing some papers.

Furthermore why would you major in something that doesn't have good financial value if you also don't even enjoy the topic you're learning? It seems like to me the problem is you're the kind of person who rushed into college and didn't know wtf you were doing.

You should only ever major in something either because the subject interests you, the major will give you good career/financial opportunities, or a mix of both. But you majored in something that neither interested you nor is even a good college major for career opportunities. So why the ******** did you even major in psychology? Makes no sense.
Slasher65rm
SirPuzzle
Old Blue Collar Joe
SirPuzzle
Slasher65rm

That's quite rude.People without high school diplomas are educated and fully capable of working entry to medium level jobs

No, they aren't.

People without high school diplomas are not educated.

I never said they weren't capable of doing the job, I pointed out if they are actually able to acquire the job given how competitive it is these days just to get a job.
SirPuzzle
Slasher65rm
SirPuzzle
Old Blue Collar Joe
SirPuzzle
Slasher65rm

No, they aren't.

I never said they weren't capable of doing the job, I pointed out if they are actually able to acquire the job given how competitive it is these days just to get a job.

I can tell you are quite the snob, and not good at being one. If you actually read my posts, I said I enjoyed college and hated highschool. Also, your picking on dropouts might prove you are the uneducated one. When I have car problems, I go to my dropout friend. If you talk to both of us, you can't guess which one is in college. And that's because the stuff they teach you in highschool Doesn't matter. Argue all you wish, but having a degree does not make you educated, and not having one does not make you lesser.
Slasher65rm
SirPuzzle
Slasher65rm
SirPuzzle
Old Blue Collar Joe

No, they aren't.

I can tell you are quite the snob, and not good at being one. If you actually read my posts, I said I enjoyed college and hated highschool. Also, your picking on dropouts might prove you are the uneducated one. When I have car problems, I go to my dropout friend. If you talk to both of us, you can't guess which one is in college. And that's because the stuff they teach you in highschool Doesn't matter. Argue all you wish, but having a degree does not make you educated, and not having one does not make you lesser.

"I can tell you are quite the snob" I can tell you that's a red herring and that I don't give a s**t because it's irrelevant to the topic of the thread.

"Also, your picking on dropouts" whether you want to say me stating a simple truth is picking on them or not is irrelevant to the fact that my statement is factually accurate. High school drop outs are not an educated group of people, this is an accurate statement. It's irrelevant how offensive or snobby you think it is, feelings have no merit in a discussion regarding the truth-value of propositions.

"If you talk to both of us, you can't guess which one is in college." that speaks very poorly on your part. However I am skeptical of that, I would bet this is just you being modest to defend your friends.

"Argue all you wish, but having a degree does not make you educated"

Technically you're right, having a piece of paper doesn't necessarily make you educated. You're right, but the point is what it took the person to get that degree is what makes them educated. Unless of course you majored in an easy topic, never read your books and instead opted to use sparknotes/cliff notes your entire college career then yeah I guess in that case you can get a degree without being educated.

"and not having one does not make you lesser" lesser in terms of what? If you're saying lesser in terms of education, yeah actually it does make them lesser. People who have college degrees are more educated than people who didn't even have the competence to graduate high school. Doesn't matter how snobby that sounds, it's a true statement.

I'm an undergraduate, the PHD candidates who are the TA's for the math classes I take are more educated than I am. I am lesser to them when it comes to education.
SirPuzzle
Slasher65rm
SirPuzzle
Slasher65rm
SirPuzzle
Old Blue Collar Joe

No, they aren't.

"I can tell you are quite the snob" I can tell you that's a red herring and that I don't give a s**t because it's irrelevant to the topic of the thread.

"Also, your picking on dropouts" whether you want to say me stating a simple truth is picking on them or not is irrelevant to the fact that my statement is factually accurate. High school drop outs are not an educated group of people, this is an accurate statement. It's irrelevant how offensive or snobby you think it is, feelings have no merit in a discussion regarding the truth-value of propositions.

"If you talk to both of us, you can't guess which one is in college." that speaks very poorly on your part. However I am skeptical of that, I would bet this is just you being modest to defend your friends.

Technically you're right, having a piece of paper doesn't necessarily make you educated. You're right, but the point is what it took the person to get that degree is what makes them educated. Unless of course you majored in an easy topic, never read your books and instead opted to use sparknotes/cliff notes your entire college career then yeah I guess in that case you can get a degree without being educated.

"and not having one does not make you lesser" lesser in terms of what? If you're saying lesser in terms of education, yeah actually it does make them lesser. People who have college degrees are more educated than people who didn't even have the competence to graduate high school. Doesn't matter how snobby that sounds, it's a true statement.

I'm an undergraduate, the PHD candidates who are the TA's for the math classes I take are more educated than I am. I am lesser to them when it comes to education.

tl;dr: "I like to show people on Gaia how educated I am. "
Slasher65rm
SirPuzzle
Slasher65rm
SirPuzzle
Slasher65rm

No, they aren't.

Yeah my post was really that impressive wasn't it.
SirPuzzle
Slasher65rm
SirPuzzle
Slasher65rm
SirPuzzle
Slasher65rm

No, they aren't.

Yeah my post was really that impressive wasn't it.

I took out my handkerchief out of my suite, and wiped a tear from my persperating eye. Bravo, good sir.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff