Welcome to Gaia! ::

Tipsy Prophet

15,625 Points
  • Conquerer of Familiars 350
  • Budding Witch 250
  • Ghost Hunter 250
Sandokiri
Fallen-Pottery-Angel
As far as this girl is concerned. She may be refusing chemo, but there are other cancer treatments available. There are steroid treatments, experimental drugs that can be covered by the government, and radiation treatments. Not every cancer has to be treated with chemo, because not everyone's body can/will handle the effects from chemo. Plus she's seventeen. Where I live, I can refuse medical treatment starting at the age of sixteen. I don't know if it's the same situation in the states, but it should be taken into consideration. As far as her parents are concerned, I don't think they should have their daughter taken away from them, however, they should be at least be telling her the truth, and doing research themselves. Being told you're not doing a proper job parenting, because you agree with your child's decision, providing they know the consequences, is complete horse s**t. But something we also need to remember is that there are three sides to every story, the opposing side, the defending side, and the truth.

We don't know the girl's side. We know what her mother claims is her side - and that's a rather notable aspect of the story: we don't have any direct quotes from Cassandra herself. In fact, it appears that neither the doctors nor the court could discern her opinion as anything other than a parroting of the mother's.

The chemo protocol normally used for Hodgkin's is notable for being much less toxic than other chemos, especially when the treatment is well-managed and administered during the early onset of the lymphoma, as is the case with Cassandra. So the allegation that this treatment "kills everything" is ill-founded nowadays.

And going from the sounds of this story, it seems like Cassandra's actual opinion is the one thing missing. Thinking about it now, I think this is the second or third time I've seen this story pop up. A lot of it sounds like the mother is the one against the chemo, like you said, no one can discern the difference between her mothers and her own opinions.

This is true, though no one in my family has had Hodgkin's, dads eldest brother is currently battling prostate cancer, and while he was under going chemo treatment, he still did fairly well, especially considering he's in his mid 70's. It's actually quite amazing to see just how far medical advances have been made when it comes to treating cancer in general.

Tipsy Prophet

15,625 Points
  • Budding Witch 250
  • Ghost Hunter 250
Mari Arara
*kicks down door* this is my thread it was made for me

ok so i'm not gonna get into detail because I have about 10 ongoing arguments in these godforsaken forums, but basically my opinion is this:

vaccines are NOT necessary and should not be mandatory
vaccines are NOT a miracle cure that can eradicate anything
vaccines should NOT be given to infants or anyone who cannot consent, because I believe in body autonomy for everyone and everything.

i have never been vaccinated and the only illness i have had is a cold. good hygiene, respect for others when it comes to hygiene, (don't send your ill children to school! dont go to work sick! dont sneeze everywhere!) exposure to the outside world and you'll be good.

i know a doctor (not as my doctor lol) who told me that the possible reason my immune system is great is because I live in a rural area and have spent a lot of time with dirt. rough translation but it makes sense.

I can say I agree with a fair bit of this, not all but a good chunk of it.

I'm fairly stubborn when it comes to being sick and working and going to school. I think the only time I called into work sick, was because I had fallen and the back of my head to a hard hit to a metal step stool, which resulted in a goose egg roughly the size of a base ball on the back of my head. Never went to the hospital, though I probably should have sweatdrop Though there was a time when I missed a week of school because I caught a mild strain of the swine flu from my sister.

Something I've noticed a lot more with the really young generations, is that they're all pretty much bubble wrapped. Like it becomes the biggest deal in the world when a kid falls and scrapes their knee, or tries to eat dirt. I grew up playing in dirt, eating leaves and drinking out of a mountain fed lake, and I think I turned out pretty okay. I was really accident prone, but never really got sick. But when I did, it sucked, like it was always the worst thing possible.

Deathly Protagonist

Fallen-Pottery-Angel
Mari Arara

ok so i'm not gonna get into detail because I have about 10 ongoing arguments in these godforsaken forums, but basically my opinion is this:

vaccines should NOT be given to infants or anyone who cannot consent, because I believe in body autonomy for everyone and everything.

i have never been vaccinated and the only illness i have had is a cold. good hygiene, respect for others when it comes to hygiene, (don't send your ill children to school! dont go to work sick! dont sneeze everywhere!) exposure to the outside world and you'll be good.

i know a doctor (not as my doctor lol) who told me that the possible reason my immune system is great is because I live in a rural area and have spent a lot of time with dirt. rough translation but it makes sense.

I'm fairly stubborn when it comes to being sick and working and going to school. I think the only time I called into work sick, was because I had fallen and the back of my head to a hard hit to a metal step stool, which resulted in a goose egg roughly the size of a base ball on the back of my head. Never went to the hospital, though I probably should have sweatdrop Though there was a time when I missed a week of school because I caught a mild strain of the swine flu from my sister.

Something I've noticed a lot more with the really young generations, is that they're all pretty much bubble wrapped. Like it becomes the biggest deal in the world when a kid falls and scrapes their knee, or tries to eat dirt. I grew up playing in dirt, eating leaves and drinking out of a mountain fed lake, and I think I turned out pretty okay. I was really accident prone, but never really got sick. But when I did, it sucked, like it was always the worst thing possible.

EXACTLY. kids, especially middle class kids, are coddled and not in a way that actually protects them. in fact everyone's really shitty to kids and there's a lot of ageism and belief that they aren't even sentient. it's kinda sad.

Tipsy Prophet

15,625 Points
  • Budding Witch 250
  • Ghost Hunter 250
Mari Arara
Fallen-Pottery-Angel
Mari Arara

EXACTLY. kids, especially middle class kids, are coddled and not in a way that actually protects them. in fact everyone's really shitty to kids and there's a lot of ageism and belief that they aren't even sentient. it's kinda sad.

When I get married and have kids, I honestly hope I can raise them just as well as my mum raised me and my sister. We were always taught that it was okay to fall down, get all scratched an bruised, muddy, as long as we picked ourselves back up, and looked out for each other. I'm not saying all parents are coddling their children to much. I more often then not see the kids on my street outside playing. Whether it's spring, summer, fall, or -20 in winter, they're outside playing. I think it's all the stress media puts on parents, saying that you're not raising them properly if they don't have this video game or that video game. Not to mention the fact that some kids just get handed everything.

Feral Nymph

Mari Arara

So, polio is just a weakness in others' immune systems? As was smallpox? And measles, whooping cough, Hepatitis B, rabies and so many other vaccines everyone takes for granted? You people who rely on herd immunity and defiantly claim that vaccines aren't necessary should really try living in a 3rd World country where you don't have that protection and spare the people who have to rely on herd immunity, i.e. those who cannot have vaccines for a valid reason, from your idiocy.

Deathly Protagonist

Pessimist
Mari Arara

So, polio is just a weakness in others' immune systems? As was smallpox? And measles, whooping cough, Hepatitis B, rabies and so many other vaccines everyone takes for granted? You people who rely on herd immunity and defiantly claim that vaccines aren't necessary should really try living in a 3rd World country where you don't have that protection and spare the people who have to rely on herd immunity, i.e. those who cannot have vaccines for a valid reason, from your idiocy.

??? Those diseases are really rare? It's not like we're having a pandemic? Not even in america. Just have common sense.

"Herd immunity" is a myth btw. Just pointing that out.

Giygasm's King

Demonic Sweetheart

16,550 Points
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Hellraiser 500
  • Cool Cat 500
Coming from someone that hates Fox News: local affiliate≠Fox News Network. Your source is a local affiliate. Just a note to fellow haters.

Anyways, vaccines are different from chemo. Cancer's normally not contagious like the diseases that vaccines are support to prevent. If someone doesn't get chemo, they'll suffer the consequences. If someone doesn't get vaccines, it'll weaken the herd immunity and can potentially cause those that CAN'T get vaccinated to catch that disease. People that can't get vaccinated tend to have compromised immune systems and those that are too young/too old to safely get it. It doesn't include dumbasses that believe that it'll cause autism and treat it like a death sentence, which is a slap in the face of those that are on the spectrum and see it as a positive trait.

As for that girl refusing chemo, I don't see a problem with that. I strongly support people's decisions to die when, where, and how they want. The only ones who should decide on the matter are those that want to die. As long as they don't force others to die alongside them, go for it.

Feral Nymph

Mari Arara
Pessimist
Mari Arara

??? Those diseases are really rare? It's not like we're having a pandemic? Not even in america. Just have common sense.

They used to be quite common. Measles is currently increasing in the number of cases due to people like you who think these diseases are someone preferable to the vaccine.

And, no, it's not. It's what's protecting you from said diseases. You don't get polio because nobody around you has had polio in a long time because everybody else has been vaccinated for it. You probably have already been unless your parents purposefully did not vaccinate you as a child.

Pchooo's Husbando

High-functioning Lunatic

Kakubunretsu

As for why this isn't hypocritical: someone rejecting chemotherapy doesn't compromise the public health strategy as a whole. Cancer isn't contagious. :v

[/thread]

Mari Arara

User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

Feral Nymph

Wakkaa
Kakubunretsu

As for why this isn't hypocritical: someone rejecting chemotherapy doesn't compromise the public health strategy as a whole. Cancer isn't contagious. :v

[/thread]

Mari Arara

User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

Stealing that, even though my reactions were more along the lines of facepalming. But David Tennant always makes things better.

4,450 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Member 100
Mari Arara
Pessimist
Mari Arara

Hahahaha

You know why they're really rare now, right?
Because the absolute vast majority of people in the west have vaccines against them. That's literally what's keeping you from dying from a massive disease like in past times, herd immunity

Oh, and that's bullshit that you think infants shouldn't have anything done to them. How old would you allow consent to be given? Keep in mind that'd be the age you'd allow any sort of medical aid

Garbage

Mari Arara
Dude, if childhood vaccines were a matter of consent, I wouldn't have gotten vaccinated against anything ever.

I also would be sick all the goddamn time because neither would anyone else.
Pessimist
Mari Arara

yeah, you keep letting those people inject you full of s**t, you see what happens
sooner or later this s**t is gonna backfire and ruin lives, and you dumb ******** are gonna be like
BUT SCIENCE COULD NEVER GO WRONG AND HURT US
and I'm gonna be like
you know what this is a tragedy but I told you so
My Dog Mr. Kitty
Mari Arara
Pessimist
Mari Arara

Hahahaha

You know why they're really rare now, right?
Because the absolute vast majority of people in the west have vaccines against them. That's literally what's keeping you from dying from a massive disease like in past times, herd immunity

Oh, and that's bullshit that you think infants shouldn't have anything done to them. How old would you allow consent to be given? Keep in mind that'd be the age you'd allow any sort of medical aid

I don't know dude, it's a slippery slope and we have exactly as many rights as we're not using at the moment

Garbage

far_river_arms_section_vi
you dumb ******** are gonna be like
BUT SCIENCE COULD NEVER GO WRONG AND HURT US
and I'm gonna be like
you know what this is a tragedy but I told you so
Dude, it's not like this is Jurassic Park or anything. Polio isn't going to be hunting people down.

...is it?

Oh my god, is it!? gonk

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas