Welcome to Gaia! ::

AlucardsMidianSlave
yea.. but what about the ones who are cool about how they dress like Gwen Stephani(sp)..

Gwen has to be one of the few I respect out there. Thing is, the thread starter is wrong. These skanks aren't musicians. They don't do their own work. Some of them don't even sing. They're meant to be skanks. It's their job.
Radiophile
medievalangel00
That is what people want though.

Not everyone. I, for one, don't like to see things like that cooter-shot in the post above yours.

Indeed...ew... gonk

Has it ever occured to society that there are some people who do not like to see things like the aforementioned v****a picture? Save that for the Rennaisance, we just want our good music, dammit!
Who cares..I don't care if I girl wants to run around naked. It's not bothering me. It's HER life. I mean in some places in the world women can't choose the clothing that they want to wear. They have to cover themselves up and be ashamed to be a women. Atleast when those girls dress like that they are proud of their womenhood. I mean there are plenty of successful female singers that don't dress like skanks. Naked singing pop stars are not responsible for all the problems in the world.
Ah, well, I'd have to say, even with my being a guy, this stuff... is disconcerting. It's not something I approve of, and it most definately isn't something I like. I've noticed an incredible deficit in male commisseration on this topic, though, so let me point out why; the main stimulus for this sort of... conversation, for lack of a better word, is jealousy. The "I can't make it, so why should they?" syndrome all pervasive in today's world, the people complaining about "musicians," about actors... honestly, you need to understand that, while it isn't a whole lot of work on their part, it's basically a gift to them. However, when they no longer have the body, when they lose the look... they'll be far less fortunate than you or I. Their fame, their fortune, will dissappear before their eyes, sand through an hourglass. They're going to have a very hard time of it. If you can't do anything else, pity them, rather than making yet another message board devoted to commisserating about how wonderfully horrid these people are, because, at the heart of it, they aren't, really. They're just lucky, for now.
PKT
Who cares..I don't care if I girl wants to run around naked. It's not bothering me. It's HER life. I mean in some places in the world women can't choose the clothing that they want to wear. They have to cover themselves up and be ashamed to be a women. Atleast when those girls dress like that they are proud of their womenhood. I mean there are plenty of successful female singers that don't dress like skanks. Naked singing pop stars are not responsible for all the problems in the world.
They're not proud of their womanhood, for one thing. Hardly the case. They're not... proud. They're desperate, clinging to the attention in the only way they know they can get it. They're exploiting themselves, willingly, for themselves. It's a twisted spiral they're going through, and not at all admirable. Disturbing is more the word.
DagdaIV
PKT
They're not proud of their womanhood, for one thing. Hardly the case. They're not... proud. They're desperate, clinging to the attention in the only way they know they can get it. They're exploiting themselves, willingly, for themselves. It's a twisted spiral they're going through, and not at all admirable. Disturbing is more the word.

I just want to point out it's impossible to 'exploit yourself' .....

Definition of exploitation: To make unethical use of some one for personal gain or profit.

everybody uses their body to make money..... whether it's their ability to flip burgers, draw pictures, play an instrument, or look pretty in pictures.... what's the difference?
Le Brat Prince
Inwee
Le Brat Prince
Inwee
Le Brat Prince
Quote: I am all for individuality, but if this was a style, there would be ALOT more drop outs and unwanted children then what we have now. People follow the TV, they don't consider what's off of it. I know that some people do, but the majority doesn't. So, these people could be as nice and decent off the screen, but people wouldn't notice. They have an image that is going to be hard to get rid of.

That's like saying that all people who wear black worship satan. If people went around skantily clad then why do you assume that this would also mean they were having unprotected sex? And if people follow their television idols..... put the blame on the stupidity of the nation, not the image of the pop idol!

You're against the fact that sex sells..... but we live in a multi media culture now.... bands are using a wide variety of shock tactics in order to sell records...including gothic bands, rap stars, boy bands... they all promote a certain style, and certain set of ideals and lifestyle that goes beyond the music.

Unprotected sex happens. It's not uncommon.

But you see, this is what the media labelled these people. People believe that these things are true, and it sickens me. I am blaming the stupidity of the nation for this. It's degrating! I am a female musician and I don't see why people that could have no talent become rich and famous, and people with tons of talent have barely enough money to cover their taxes.

LeKiNk
I think that's the point she's trying to make. That it's SAD that we live in a world that the only way you're going to be bigtime is by showing more cleavage here and less of clothing there. (And that's just "pop" alone.) These "ideals" and "lifestyle" you speak of correlate to our life in America, showing that hey if you like my music and dress like me, you're going to be and look popular, and you're "cool". And the people in showbiz now, are all much worse than they were before

Thanks ^^

hmm...... but I don't see why ANY musician should be so rich and famous when firefighters, nurses, teachers and people who I feel contribute to society a lot more stay poor......

when you look at it that way why is the fact that a person gets huge amounts of money because they just so happen to have a pretty face so much worse than 'a person gets huge amounts of money because they just so happen to have a pretty...... voice?

That's kinda what I'm trying to prove.

if that's what you're trying to prove then why isn't the title of the thread 'why do musicians get paid so much money' ?

I said KINDA. Not completely, not half, not mostly. Why do slutty-dressed musicians get more money then good ones? Why must they have to dress slutty to get money? Why is it that people with no talent get more money and respect, some how, then doctors and nurses? The people want it so, and that is just sad. And I am stating now that I hate it.
Amy Lee of Evanescence is pretty much the only singer in mainstream music nowadays who doesn't use that "sex sells" crap.
Le Brat Prince

I just want to point out it's impossible to 'exploit yourself' .....

Definition of exploitation: To make unethical use of some one for personal gain or profit.

everybody uses their body to make money..... whether it's their ability to flip burgers, draw pictures, play an instrument, or look pretty in pictures.... what's the difference?
Easily possible. The self-degradation implicit in their actions can't really be considered in the same light. Flipping burgers doesn't require the use of your body as the mental plaything of others. Nor does playing an instrument. Furthermore, I can hardly call that "looking pretty," at least by the standards that I'm used to.
Radiophile
Musicians are not skanks. Pop stars are not musicians; they are glorified whores. So yes, pop stars are skanks but <b>please</b> don't confuse them with musicians.

Girls in rock bands are generally not skanks. They are still musicians. I am a musician in band; I am not a skank. You are an oboe player, if I am to go by your sig. I assume you are not referring to yourself as a skank?

Whores are sick. Musicians are awesome. n.n

I agree. I mean, I play the piano and I can tell I am not a skank. I'm just a girl who plays piano. Nothing skanky about that.
flyingkittens
Radiophile
Musicians are not skanks. Pop stars are not musicians; they are glorified whores. So yes, pop stars are skanks but <b>please</b> don't confuse them with musicians.

Girls in rock bands are generally not skanks. They are still musicians. I am a musician in band; I am not a skank. You are an oboe player, if I am to go by your sig. I assume you are not referring to yourself as a skank?

Whores are sick. Musicians are awesome. n.n

I agree. I mean, I play the piano and I can tell I am not a skank. I'm just a girl who plays piano. Nothing skanky about that.
Of course, were you to play the piano in your skivvies, I'm sure you'd get more attention. In the end, it's all a matter of how much you respect yourself in comparison to material gains.
Hm, not all female musicians are skanks, but you said that yourself. :/ It's rather sad, that women have worked for some sort of equality all these years, or at least to NOT be treated like objects, but women are again objectifying themselves, but this time it's willingly. And then the rest of the women are assumed to want to be objects, too.

And, really, if it's a musician, it shouldn't matter if they reveal everything or not, or if they're good looking or ugly. It's MUSIC so their APPERENCE shouldn't matter. (Though them lookin nice is always a plus...)

I don't think pop/hip-hop people are musicians. :/ Their singing normally isn't that great, and they do stuff to their voice to make it better, don't they? Also, they normally TAKE the music from something else. :/ I saw something on MTV talking about some kinda music-thing that, like, five artists took. The ONLY difference was that they did some special effect crap on it so the pitch was different, and maybe tempo. :/ They can't even come up with their OWN music, apparently, or lyrics.
um....although this artist doesn't do any of that s**t, does avril count because shes a poser and her music is tottal pop....(and shes a slut)....?
Pazz
Not all are skanks.

What about Kittie, JoJ, Rasputina, Switchblade Symphony, and the like?

It's true that most female pop artists are, but a lot of underground and rock girls aren't that slutty.

I think she's was referring more to the top top top hit list, the
ones like britney spears who couldn't wear a regular, belly hiding t-shirt
even if it killed her to. Kelis used to be all about women power and then
she started making videos like "milshake". Hell paris hilton is sellling out
big time and she's already an heiress to a fortune. What really pisses me
off are the sisters of singers like ashlee simpson and britney spears's
sister. They're just feeding off their sister's already dirty reputation! So I
guess it's true what the say, the poor are still poor while the rich get even
richer...
level27freak
um....although this artist doesn't do any of that s**t, does avril count because shes a poser and her music is tottal pop....(and shes a slut)....?

I hate avril I don't care what anyone says about how she's doing it for the music.
Her and hillary duff are in the exact same league. They're sellouts!
Name a list of bands that avril has opened up for and see if any of them
even sound good.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas