Welcome to Gaia! ::

i think the legal driving age should be 18 not 16
ur more responsible when ur older on 1-21-04 my best friend was killed in an accident on her mothers birthday this friday is the one year "anniversary" ( i hate calling it that it sounds like im celebrating shes gone ) and it happened rite outside a resturante they were at celebrating her moms b-day when she got into the car with a younger girl who just got her lisense and she didnt relize there was a truck coming so she pulled out and got t-boned killing my best friend instantly and leaving the other girl serverly injured so what do u think about raiseing the driving age i no most people want there lisense as fast as they could get it but is it really worth risking lives?
It's not all about responsibility, it's also about experience.
18 sounds like a much better age to me. Accidents do happen, lowering the age won't stop that.

7,700 Points
  • Nudist Colony 200
  • Tooth Fairy 100
  • Elocutionist 200
Jim Jesus 2.0

Yep. I didn't drive in a car with any of my friends who'd just gotten their permits because I knew they weren't experienced enough to keep THEMSELVES out of trouble, much less passengers.

I am sorry about your friend, though.
Greenblade
18 sounds like a much better age to me. Accidents do happen, lowering the age won't stop that.

it could help prevent them though i mean it couldnt hurt only improve right?
It doesn't really matter how old the person is. It's about experience. The reason why those NASCAR drivers are so good is because they've been practicing since they were about 13 or 14-years-old. I think if we made the driving age lower or higher, it wouldn't matter.
It wouldn't help not one bit. Your ability to drive is based on how much experience you have. You have to start somewhere whether it be age 16 or 18. If you started at 16 than you would have experience by the time you reached 18. If we raised it than there would be a bunch of crapy adult drivers on the road. At least then I wouldnt be harrased by poeple constantly about how stupid teen drivers are.
JeuneFille
Jim Jesus 2.0

Yep. I didn't drive in a car with any of my friends who'd just gotten their permits because I knew they weren't experienced enough to keep THEMSELVES out of trouble, much less passengers.

I am sorry about your friend, though.

thank you i really appreciate your sympathy but ill be ok im going to the cemetary friday on the "anniversary" to pay my respects again and bid her good bye for another year
I'm 17, and on my test, I got a 90. That's 5 more points than you need to teach others how to drive.

It's maturity that makes the difference.
I like my driving previlages.
exmeromotu
I like my driving previlages.

im glad u enjoy driving but would u rather possibly cost someone there life or wait an extra 2 years? ( not that im saying ur not a good driver)
Sorry to hear about your friend...3 of my friends have died in car accidents. (One run over while walking her dog, one in a car with her boyfriend (who'd just had way too many drinks), and one got smashed into when she was driving her little sister home--both of them died)
Where I live, you have to be at least 17 to even start driver's ed, 18 to get a license, and like 19-21 (something like that...forgot the exact number) to drive a car with more than one person who is not a family member. But traffic deaths still happen by the thousands every year in this city...three of them my friends (2 died within the last two months, one died a little less than a year ago.) I still have to wait a year to start driver's ed, but I'm in no hurry...I get hit by cars at least once or twice a month(mostly just cuts and bruises, once broke three ribs...yeoch.), and I'm not in any hurry to mow down some poor little kid on the street, or get run up by the police for drunk driving, or get run over by some huge truck, or anything else--you get the idea.
Accidents happen. There's no way around it.

My opinion.
Senior Citizens get in more accidents than teenagers. I am 16 almost 17 and I could really use a car and lisence if I had money.
That is why I like Canada's licencing system. You get at least 1 year of driving with a licenced driver, and a few driving limits and restrictions as to which roads and times you can drive. The next year you don't require the licenced driver, but there are still a few restrictions to follow, and then a year after you get a regular licence, no restrictions.

Although, I have yet to hear if it is actually redusing the number of youth accidents, or if it is just another money grabbing government scheme.
It would probably be better if we implemented a strict system like Germany has, they have their share of problems but they come down on you like a ton of bricks...

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff