8,025 Points
  • Bookworm 100
  • Friendly 100
  • Tycoon 200
Jabelley
bluelily3
Jabelley
bluelily3
I don't get it with the series. It must be the show. Because I only read the first book, and couldn't get into the second. Sean Bean is great, and he was my favorite character. But he DIES. After that it got lame to me.

How come everything blows up in popularity so bad? Twilight? HORRIBLY written, and only sub-par movies. Hunger Games? Good books, but not utterly mind-blowing like everyone seems to think. Movies? Pretty forgettable.

These are all my opinions of course. But I just wonder what it is about these books turned into movies. Why does some stuff get popular, and some not?

But I'm ranting. This is about Game of Thrones, after all.
The popularity made me consider picking up the books again, but after one crude scene after another, I just couldn't. I can handle crude, but when someone mentions a little girl and a stick in that manner...case closed.

yeah, I'm currently reading the first book in the series and I'm having some trouble getting through it. I'm hoping I'll grow to like the books more. I love the TV show though.

Oh, really? Maybe I should watch the show. If it's not as complicated as the books, it would be good enough for me. The book has about 5 or 6 families and dozens of characters that you have to keep track of, and...while I've read complicated books before, this one didn't seem worth all the trouble.

That's true for me too. Maybe I will get into it. I'm in a book club, and most of the older ladies in it have watched it. LOL

yeah, the TV show is much easier to keep up with! and while I absolutely love books, there is something about TV shows that really help me with visualization.
bluelily3

and oh my gosh, totally random, but I love Labyrinth. wink saw the thumbnails on your profile, not creepy at all... hahaha.

Friendly Bibliophile

8,025 Points
  • Bookworm 100
  • Friendly 100
  • Tycoon 200
Jabelley
bluelily3

and oh my gosh, totally random, but I love Labyrinth. wink saw the thumbnails on your profile, not creepy at all... hahaha.

Hey, that's okay. I almost forgot I had them on here. I rarely ever get on this site, and I haven't updated. But yes. Labyrinth will always be a favorite. I love David Bowie in that. Mmm. If I were Sara, I would have just stayed with Jareth. Hee, hee. It's only forever, right? Not long at all?

High-functioning Hellraiser

14,100 Points
  • Mark Twain 100
  • Threadmaster 200
  • Invisibility 100
Well... that was something. I dunno, I kinda figured after the death of King c**t, this episode would deal a lot more with the fallout.

Don't get me wrong, incest right next to your dead incest kid REALLY helps with the grieving process, but... I didn't expect for most of the episode to be just moving chess pieces around the board. However, I can still say the episode was great because of Tywin and Oberyn. They ********' rocked!

Tywin's history lesson and snide comments right in front of Cersei, followed by his offer to Oberyn, that was just amazing. And I love Oberyn more and more, the more I see him.

Also, Pod. That poor baby.

Gatekeeper

I was so sour all episode after the Cersei/Jaime sept scene. Ignoring the beaten to death "lol incest" debates...did D&D need to make it a rape scene? As much as I love this show, I'm really losing my inability to look past the unnecessary amounts of sexual violence and excessive male gaze bullshit to at least continue enjoying everything else. Oberyn/Ellaria's sexposition (again) didn't help either.

Loved the Tywin/Tommen scene, happy for the Team Dragonstone sighting. And I did like Oberyn's "some say the sky is blue because we live in the eye of a giant" line as a throwback to Robb saying the same thing to Bran in season 1 :3. The Thenn's looked like they stepped right out of the Star Trek universe and I get it, they're cannibals stop.

Hopefully next weeks episode is a lot better ; _;
Cassie Eats Cockroaches
Well... that was something. I dunno, I kinda figured after the death of King c**t, this episode would deal a lot more with the fallout.

Don't get me wrong, incest right next to your dead incest kid REALLY helps with the grieving process, but... I didn't expect for most of the episode to be just moving chess pieces around the board. However, I can still say the episode was great because of Tywin and Oberyn. They ********' rocked!

Tywin's history lesson and snide comments right in front of Cersei, followed by his offer to Oberyn, that was just amazing. And I love Oberyn more and more, the more I see him.

Also, Pod. That poor baby.

yeah, that scene was a little weird... 10 no's and one yes, is still yes. xd
Star of the South
I was so sour all episode after the Cersei/Jaime sept scene. Ignoring the beaten to death "lol incest" debates...did D&D need to make it a rape scene? As much as I love this show, I'm really losing my inability to look past the unnecessary amounts of sexual violence and excessive male gaze bullshit to at least continue enjoying everything else. Oberyn/Ellaria's sexposition (again) didn't help either.

Loved the Tywin/Tommen scene, happy for the Team Dragonstone sighting. And I did like Oberyn's "some say the sky is blue because we live in the eye of a giant" line as a throwback to Robb saying the same thing to Bran in season 1 :3. The Thenn's looked like they stepped right out of the Star Trek universe and I get it, they're cannibals stop.

Hopefully next weeks episode is a lot better ; _;

there was defiantly a lot of sex in last night's episode. a rape scene and a lot of boobage...

I'm interested to see if Dany won over those slaves?

Tipsy Lunatic

I can't get over how fast these episodes seem to fly by. Before we know it, the show's over and we're left wanting more. stressed
I'm actually new to Game of Thrones. I just started watching and reading it last week, and I can't put the book down and I've made it part of my routine to watch an episode before I go to bed. I don't know why I waited this long to start watching it.

Shameless Nerd

It was a good episode, but compared to last week, definitely more mellow. You can see things being set up during this episode more than really happening. For my husband, since he hasn't read the books or been spoiled, I loved seeing his reaction to Sansa being taken to Littlefinger. He didn't see it coming, especially after my help in linking things to the Tyrells. xd My favorite part was probably Tywin's talk with Tommen, though it made me laugh at how he was so shameless in dissing Robert and Joffrey's ruling as kings. I understand why, but god, so brutally honest, especially about Joffrey in front of Cersei and Joffrey's dead body.

Fashionable Bookworm

19,250 Points
  • Jolly Roger 50
  • Alchemy Level 10 100
  • Object of Affection 150
So... how is everyone feeling about the way D&D are handling the backlash against the rape scene? I'm pretty disgusted... just not quite disgusted enough to stop watching, unfortunately.

Gatekeeper

jadedrenee
So... how is everyone feeling about the way D&D are handling the backlash against the rape scene? I'm pretty disgusted... just not quite disgusted enough to stop watching, unfortunately.

Very disgusted, but I'm not surprised that is how D&D actually feel considering the crap that's constantly spewing out of their mouths. The writer and director of the episode are saying the same stuff as D&D are. NCW gave an interview about it too, and I was pretty disappointed in his response as well.

Basically the only person who I have some respect for from their comments about the rape scene is GRRM, which is kinda scary lol. He basically went "I don't remember the change ever being discussed with me. It's meant to be a disturbing scene in the book, but not because of rape at all. If they had kept even some of Cersei's original dialogue, I think it would have done more for what the scene was meant to show" and tried to distance himself from the decision. I mean, I understand him not calling out the bullshit considering he doesn't want to bite the hand that feeds him but him saying all of this does say something, even if it's pretty small.

If D&D and friends don't stop with this type of garbage this season, I think I'm out after this. I was holding out hope that D&D took all the criticism's they've received about sexposition, sexual violence and male gaze over the seasons to heart. Yet, and I shouldn't be surprised, they didn't. This season feels even worse, considering in 3 episodes, Oberyn has had 2 dragged out sexposition scenes.

Like, I've been angry for 4 season over this stuff but have been able to look past it to still enjoy the other parts of the show. I've really hit my limit.

tl;dr: lol damn sorry for wall text. I just have a lot of feelings, all of them anger.

High-functioning Hellraiser

14,100 Points
  • Mark Twain 100
  • Threadmaster 200
  • Invisibility 100
jadedrenee

Honestly, and I mean I am being truly honest when I say this...

I didn't realize s**t had hit the fan until yesterday, when articles started popping up about how angry people were, and today, I read the interview with Martin, but I was kinda thrown for a loop at this kind of fallout...

Because the whole time the scene was playing out, I was just thinking to myself that I was so glad they cut out the bit where Jamie rips off Cersei's smallclothes, covered in her "moon's blood". That was what really stuck in my head throughout, so it didn't really occur to me. While partly zoned out, I just saw Jamie trying to mount Cersei and Cersei alternately fighting him off, saying "No! Not here, it's not right!" while grabbing his face to get more of his tongue in her mouth. I think because I was so lost in thought and half paying attention, I just didn't dawn on me what I had really watched until the next day.

And since I am truly a horrible person, now, because I processed the whole affair differently from everyone else, I think the disconnect between what I read, what I've seen and what I was thinking of at the time has warped me in coming to a definite conclusion about it, or at least, has stopped me from being angry and disgusted this late in the game, just because everyone else is. Yeah, believe me, I KNOW how ******** up rape is and I don't condone it any shape, way or form, and changing the tone of the scene from the books was definitely the bad thing to do, in the long run, without some serious consequences. But... As I said, I am a horrible person.

Fashionable Bookworm

19,250 Points
  • Jolly Roger 50
  • Alchemy Level 10 100
I'm hoping that D&D actually hear this time; there's been a pretty vehement "NOT OKAY" response from the fans. The response to this rape scene has been a lot more heated and widespread than the earlier ones, so maybe there's a chance they'll knock it off.

Fashionable Bookworm

19,250 Points
  • Jolly Roger 50
  • Alchemy Level 10 100
In other news, Uproxx posted a bunch of internet responses to this season so far. I'm posting my favorites for y'all's edification.

User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff