Welcome to Gaia! ::

....You've all been into the scene? And by "scene" I mean be it which ever electronic music scene you're into
. Even though, it doesn't really matter how long, it's the enthusiasm of the music that counts most, I'm still curious.

I listen to EBM, and been at it for 2 1/2 years. And it's only beginning.
I've been listening to breaks and house for about 11-10 years. I didn't start getting involved in the scene until about 4 years ago.
Well, when I was a kid in the 80's I was into Weird Al, Devo, and rap like Run DMC. By the early 90's I was into Depeche Mode, Nirvana, Smashing Pumpkins, etc. Then boom! Nine Inch Nails changed everything! After hearing Closer on the radio and MTV about a bazillion times in the summer of 1994...I found myself asking the local record store for more bands in this genre.
So by July 1994 I was into Skinny Puppy, Front Line Assembly, Front 242, KMFDM, Nitzer Ebb, Bigod 20, and some other bands. Started going to a local all ages(I was only 16) goth industrial club, and then started going to shows(my first concert was Nine Inch Nails with Marilyn Manson...which for the time was pretty darn cool) I also somehow got into a lot of goth/darkwave music, which I havent been into in some time(cure, sisters of mercy, switchblade symphony, bauhaus, london after midnight, etc) By 1995 I had my own skinny puppy/fla wannabe band, was helping to promote local industrial shows, and was checking out other clubs.

In 1996 I saw Front Line Assembly, and got into :wumpscut: and Haujobb...but by late 1998 the industrial scene had pretty much died, and I too had grown weary and exhaustive of the whole thing. Then boom! 1999 and 2000 happened, and its been non stop EBM ever since...and to be honest Ive never been more happy. I still listen to the ol Front Line Assembly(their albums caustic grip, tactical neural implant and hard wired are some of the best cyberpunkish albums ever), Puppy, 242...but its been nothin but the 4 on the floor stompy 00ntz for me. I had noticed more bands starting to have a synthpop and hard trance influence by the late 90's...but it was seeing VNV in 2000 and getting into Funker Vogt which did it for me. Oddly enough I had gotten Apoptygma Berzerk's '7' album and Covenant 'Sequencer' in 1996, but didnt like it(I was more into stuff like Leatherstrip) Now I can really appreciate that albums.

For me, music first and formost has had to inspire me...when it comes to dance music, it needs to evoke images of the future, mech battles, futuristic cyberpunk cityscapes out of Blade Runner.
Mmm I dunno what you would catagorize Wham! as..But I listened to them in the 80's. Madonna, and that sorta stuff. Then in the 90's it was a lot of Europoop, then it was synthpop from the 80's towards the end of the 90's, and then it was a lot of dinky trance and house. Then downtempo, and finally back to synthpop and then eventually futurepop and EBM mainly cause my boyfriend at the time was into it..never really liked KMFDM and Skinny Puppy, but Assemblage 23 was decent..and OhGr isn't bad either. Yep, that's about it. Now, I'll listen to anything. Send me it and I'll like it. :O
i can remember listening to a lot of micheal jackson in the 80's lol. i was really young so i forgive myself. i grew out of that, and started listening to a lot of early rap like the fat boys, maestro fresh wes etc. then i met this kid in grade school who was into Guns and roses and nirvana and i got into a lot of mainstream grunge, which i still occasionally listen to. that petered off in around 96 when i saw flukes music video for Atom bomb. i immediatly went out and bought as much "electronica" as possible. underworld, kinder atom, prodigy, fluke, sasha. that carried me over till around 98, when i met another kid in highschool. i got him hooked on electronic music, he in turn got into drum and bass, and we both went to our first party in 99. shortly after i started mixing on my computer, and about a year ago i bought tables and a mixer. i stopped partying as well, because i'd like to preserve my brain for a while.

HERE I COME SENILITY!!!@#!@#@#!@

The Committee Staff Member

Somewhere around the 80s, I didn't care for music except this one I can barely remember. It's an old Trance song and I heard it not too long ago too. sweatdrop It went something like, "Shake your booty on the dance floor tonight" or something close to that anyway.
Well, I started listening to EBM after industrial had died out. But before EBM I was listening to mainly alternative rock. Be it Nirvana, Stone Temple Pilots, Tool, Alice In Chains, Filter, Offspring, Sublime....anything you'd hear on an alternative rock radio, I listened to it. Wasn't untill almost 3 years ago a friend online introduced me to Skinny Puppy. After that, it all went insane!

As for being *in* the scene, I'm not quite there, yet. But I do listen and promote.
No one listened to Europop? :O I'm sure someone out here liked Aqua at some point in time!!!! How about Alice Deejay? Vengaboys? sweatdrop gonk

I live in the CA. So Europop doesn't come so easily here. I'm thinking of going out and buying some new music though.
Anima Araria
I live in the CA. So Europop doesn't come so easily here. I'm thinking of going out and buying some new music though.

That's probably a good thing.
Wuzzel
No one listened to Europop? :O I'm sure someone out here liked Aqua at some point in time!!!! How about Alice Deejay? Vengaboys? sweatdrop gonk

I used to listen to alot of Eurotrash back in 7th grade. That was when I started listening to music other than Classical, symphonic, orchestrated stuff. It was fun, but I didn't like the excessively happy/I'm-so-in-love lyrics or beats.

After a while, I listened to harsher sound things, not metal, but rock, alternative, etc. What I really wanted was a combination of Elijah's Mantle and a good trance background. I found E Nomine, E.S.Posthumus and Ewigheim, then during my stint into New Age it was all Era, Enigma and Enya (what is it with all the "E" names?)

About the time of Ewigheim, I started into Wolfsheim, found Voltaire and London After Midnight. A year later, a friend introduced me to VNV Nation, ATB, :W:, Project Pitchfork, KMFDM, Front 242, and alot of others I've forgotten but are still on my playlist.

Since then, the list just grows, but it stays mostly in EBM now. I love Assemblage23 and VNV Nation, the melody, beat and lyrics are all important to me. It bothers all my friends and my sisters when I say "I love the line "...", because they like the music just for the music. If the lyrics aren't good, then I might not listen to it.

Recently, I've started listening to Seabound, Covenant and whatever random stuff I find. I've probably left alot out of that, but its to be expected.

It was sort of scary what caused me to start finding my own music. I distinctly remember it was the summer the songs "I love you always, forever, near or far, closer together, everywhere, I will be with you everything I will do for you" and "love me, love me, say that you love me" and some stuff by Jewel was played on the radio. My older sister had gone off to school and come back listening to PopRadio. *shudder*
That was when I realised I'd have to do something since the radio was no longer staying on 102.5 Boston's Classical.

Well well, looky here. Perhaps some of you might like these sounds. Electric Universe
I first heard Skinny Puppy about 3 years ago and it all started from there.
Wuzzel

You know I did. razz

Anyway since everyone else is doing this like detailedly, I guess I will too.

Before and up to 1994 I didn't pay much attention to music, I remember listening to alot of REM, Indigo Girls, David Bowie aswell as alot of poppy s**t. However in 1994 I met a kid that would change my life. We hung out alot, he was a hacker[at 8 years old! Scary!]. He introduced me to Fatboy Slim, and I fell in love. I immediately went out and bought many many CDs, Fatboy Slim, Daft Punk, Prodigy etc. I also managed to find alot of Mp3s of singles by poridgy and a few years later by basement jaxx. My view of what I called techno, at this point was very limited but the seed had been planted. After about 96 my obsession died down about, every play list I ever made afterwards had Acid 8000 aswell as alot of other good tracks, but it also consited of alot college rock crap and alterternative rock[punk, indie etc]. Fast forward to March 8th, 2001: I decided I wanted to go to a rave. I had always hated ravers, seeing them as dirty and wierd[which they are], so I figured I go to a rave to see what, exactly, I was hating. My friend's brother who was a jungle DJ took me to a rave in Ottawa, I didn't know it was jungle, and I wouldn't know it was jungle until a year and half later. I did love the music anyway. I was shy, but I was accepted because I knew a DJ[how typical]. A year later, I had been to aobut 7 parties and had moved to Toronto. I asked a friend where the raves were at, and subsequently met a girl who introduced me to happy hardcore before my first REAL rave[my first larger then 60 people rave] I downloaded some happy hardcore and I fell in love with it. I listened to solely happy hardcore for about 7 months then I couldn't take it anymore. At this point my knowledge expanded vastly as I devoured information like I was being executed the next day and it was the best tasting food on the planet. I learned to distinguish happy hardcore from cheesy normal hardcore, I learned how to distinguish florida breaks from funky breaks. I learned alot. So I started getting really into trance, which is wierd because toronto has the worst trance scene ever, unless you know the right people. I threw a trance party, which bombed. I listened to alot of Lady Dana, John Doe, Chris Liberator, Armand Van Bueran, Quicksilver, Kid Epic and Dyloot. I loved trance. In december '03 I quit doing ecstacy and as a result learned that almost all trance blows. I realised alot about raving and alot about ravers and became what most people would call the most jaded a*****e for about 3 months. During this 3 months, I cut out every single person who couldn't handle drugs, who didn't know anything about their "favourite" music and who was remotely unintelligent. So I lost ALOT of my friends, and of the few that were left was a boy. A boy who I would come to love dearly as one of the few few few few people in the world I trust. He showed me the magic of breaks. My love for breaks expanded to my love for house, then booty and since then it's been almost nothing but BREAKS, house and booty.

However, last year sometime my friend Hilary single-handedly brought Euro into the Rave scene. I had always secretly adored euro, but now it was safe to say I loved it without fear of ridicule. I got alot more into it when I was able to hear it every weekend. Dee-lite, Alice Deejay, Capital Sound, Emjay, CORONA<3333, Reset, Maxx, Vengaboys. I <333 it.

I also love Electroclash, Eastside Hiphop, Darkstep, Minimal Techno, Minimal DnB, Hard Techno, Funky Techno, IDM, what Ishkuer would call breaktrance, but I prefer to call Trancey breaks razz , Morning Trance, Psytrance, Goa.

I would have put those genres in my little history thingy, but I don't know where my fondness of them came from razz .
flaifire

Recently, I've started listening to Seabound, Covenant and whatever random stuff I find. I've probably left alot out of that, but its to be expected.

Mmm, Seabound...every single person on here needs to check out seabound...they have snippets of most their songs on www.seabound.de

Wuzzel

What do you mean 'liked'? I still LOVE Aqua(well their first album) pure sugary candy goodness technopop, it rocks! I hated their second album...but their first album will always be on my top 20 electronic albums ever

GlassBox
around 96 when i saw flukes music video for Atom bomb.

Dude, that video is still my favorite video of all time next to Front Line Assembly 'Mindphaser'. The atom bomb video is total cyberpunk, and freaking rocks! The fusion of future dance, video games and anime is what Im all about! They even play fluke at the EBM clubs I go to(atom bomb, zion, etc)

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff