Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Red-Tailed Hawk
A Moment Past No Return
Nintendo announced the Wii U which sadly seems to be just another gimmicky console which makes me sad because I remember when Nintendo ruled the industry.

Just a quick point, I totally get where you're coming from with this, but I'd like to point out that Nintendo specifically stated that the Wii U would not be a console, but an accessory to the console. Which also caused a lot of confusion with the rumors of Project Cafe and whether or not it was Project Cafe or not, and yes, they should have clarified this instead of leaving people confused.

And as far as ruling the industry, Nintendo still does in my opinion. They still come out with most of the newest advances in the technology, and they're starting to bring in a lot of the exclusive third-party members that had previously only worked for Microsoft and Sony publishers. As far as I'm concerned, it's turning into a new era of gaming where they're really trying to reach out to everyone, and they're doing it.

And to be honest, I think the Wii U is brilliant. Yes, it might be a sorry excuse to make up for the Wii's incapability for higher resolutions and more detail, but how many times have you wanted to play a game, but someone else wanted to watch something - and you didn't have the time to unhook your system and move it into another room? Or you didn't want to unhook your console and move it into another room to keep playing? And as far as the Wii U goes, it basically is every accessory to the Wii in one bundle with the addition of a DS touchscreen in upgrade to the Wii Draw accessory.

It's a ******** ipad tablet that doesn't get internet or movies that has to be plugged directly into a settop box connected directly into the Wii, forgive me for my mistake in verbiage....Now that I got that out of my system, I apologize that I am coming off as an a*****e because frankly I'm really ******** tired been working on a car for 24 hours and am exhausted. That being said. yes you do bring up a valid point on how it could be useful and innovative. HOWEVER, and it's a big however. Your theory on them still ruling the industry is very mistaken.

They can be very innovative but where they bring in a motion control they completely drop visuals and make it cartoony as hell. Where they bring in 3D, they completely disregard playable games and Nintendo in general gives there licensing out to ANY developer who is willing to throw a penny there way whether it sucks or not. So when they try to appeal to everyone, they isolate there sole costumers (the hardcore gamers) and pretty much disregard them for a pretty penny. Ask any gamer out there. Now I've got love for Nintendo but as far as respect they really have to earn that back because frankly I am sick of the way they are handling business nowadays.

Like I said I apologize. I know I'm being very brash and frank I'm not usually this much of an a*****e and hopefully you don't take it personally. I'm just tired both physically and of Nintendo and those defending Nintendo because face it...you guys don't want to accept it but Nintendo let you down in the pursuit of more money.
User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.
---------------------------------------------------
I think the only thing disappointing me at this point is the lack of new games. Everything I can think of from this year's E3 was a sequel to something else, or a reboot. :/
Space is big. Really big. You just won't believe how vastly, hugely, mindbogglingly big it is. I mean, you may think it's a long way down the road to the chemist's, but that's just peanuts to space.
smashbrolink
A Moment Past No Return
smashbrolink
E3 is a let-down for at least a few people EVERY year, so what's your point?XD

I'm not even going to justify your obviously retarded rhetorical question with an answer. If you would have bothered to read even a quarter of the conversations in this thread you would realize that the issues discussed on this page traverse much more than just E3 being a 'letdown' and I've repeated myself at least 3 times to different people. So please get your 12 year old mentality off this page until your ready to actually read and or bring discussion to the table. Thanks......children....what do you expect?

Try taking your own advice, kid, as I probably out-rank you in age by several years.

You have yet to present any points that that have not been source complaints about the performance of one of the 3 companies at E3's in the past before. All of the issues discussed on this thread have been beaten like the dead horse they are a thousand, thousand times, and putting them in different context doesn't change that.

So, please, get your arrogant mentality back in line before you bother trying to point out faulty mentalities in others.

See you actually brought a discussion to the table. Thank you that's something I can at least acknowledge. To be honest I am far from a child but the way you responded was in a very childish way and that is what I based my words on. If I'm wrong sue me but I'm calling you by the cover of the book you showed me. Also to be completely fair, you are the only one I have been a complete d**k to on this thread because in your post you gave no such argument or opinion you yourself came on here being a d**k yourself. So look in the mirror yourself when you call me arrogant.

Now that that's said. I am 22, I am a college student and I am a computer engineer and a mechanic. So your kid assumption would be GREATLY exaggerated. Like I said I don't know you personally but what you showed me, showed me the mentality of a kid. Anyways...the reason it's been 'beaten to death' as you say is because a lot of people have posted and I try to reply to everyone because I hate when someone posts on a thread asking for an opinion and then they are ignored so at least I had the decency to post back to you whether the context was warranted or not.

Last thing I want to mention, the conversation is also mainly about the decline of the quality of games and the gaming industry caring more about the dollar than the gamer where as when I was a kid, they had to care about the gamer because before it was an industry they had to earn our buck.
TamaraLee13
Yea i think it was a major let down.... the Wii U was just sad to me i didn't get it

As I said before I agree. I don't think a lot of people did get the point of it.
A Moment Past No Return
They can be very innovative but where they bring in a motion control they completely drop visuals and make it cartoony as hell. Where they bring in 3D, they completely disregard playable games and Nintendo in general gives there licensing out to ANY developer who is willing to throw a penny there way whether it sucks or not. So when they try to appeal to everyone, they isolate there sole costumers (the hardcore gamers) and pretty much disregard them for a pretty penny. Ask any gamer out there. Now I've got love for Nintendo but as far as respect they really have to earn that back because frankly I am sick of the way they are handling business nowadays.

You act like it's just Nintendo. That's how ALL the gaming developers are handling business these days. Aiming solely at the "hardcore gamers" is a terrible business model. They are making record money off two things - family oriented games with simple graphics and even simpler gameplay, and multiplayer games that focus on nothing but the online experience while completely neglecting the single player campaigns. The industry has noticed that people are willing to pay every month to play a game that we already bought. What incentive is there to build an impressive game from the ground up, with lots of exploration and storyline and what have you, when they can just pump out another Mass Effect for the same (or better) profit? We, as gamers, keep paying the money to do this, so it's really our fault in the end.
Space is big. Really big. You just won't believe how vastly, hugely, mindbogglingly big it is. I mean, you may think it's a long way down the road to the chemist's, but that's just peanuts to space.
I Brought My Towel
A Moment Past No Return

You act like it's just Nintendo. That's how ALL the gaming developers are handling business these days. Aiming solely at the "hardcore gamers" is a terrible business model. They are making record money off two things - family oriented games with simple graphics and even simpler gameplay, and multiplayer games that focus on nothing but the online experience while completely neglecting the single player campaigns. The industry has noticed that people are willing to pay every month to play a game that we already bought. What incentive is there to build an impressive game from the ground up, with lots of exploration and storyline and what have you, when they can just pump out another Mass Effect for the same (or better) profit? We, as gamers, keep paying the money to do this, so it's really our fault in the end.

Let me point out, it's been mentioned several times in the thread that I feel that ALL the companies are caring less and less about the gamer and more about the money. At least Sony and Microsoft still try to get developers to make games we gamers like. They don't always succeeded but trying is at least a C in my book. So I agree with you I'm not just dumping on Nintendo in this thread though they have been targeted most because of the Wii U at E3. So I really do agree with you on that. They do forget though that we 'hardcore gamers' were the ones that made them the Juggernaut they are today.

Gallant Hero

10,550 Points
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Beta Explorer 0
  • Treasure Hunter 100
#1 I was right about out-ranking you by several years[27], but since that's trivial at this point I'll say no more on the subject.

#2 If you want more ammo to support your discussions instead of rehashing what we've all already heard, try this site: The Escapist.com: Extra Credits.

Listening to some of the subject matter these guys put out will VASTLY increase your knowledge base in terms of topics of this manner.
jettisoned corpse

That is odd. I haven't finished New Vegas but I did play it for quite a lot of hours and I never encountered any of the problems you're talking about. Granted, I picked up the game about a month after its release, if I can remember correctly so perhaps by then, Bethesda released a ton of patches. I also played on the 360 if that makes any difference.

I expect Skyrim to have a bunch of bugs on release, too. I know Bethesda uses us for their main bug testing which sure, it does get annoying, but I understand why they do it. Their audience is big enough to test better than any amount of testers they could hire. And at least they fix the problems the best they can. Have you tried giving New Vegas another chance? Or did you already finish the game?

I think you missed what I said. I did love New Vegas....after the patches. Although the freezing still pisses me the hell off, and I am still a huge Bethesda fan. A month after the initial release it was patched to a degree and the problems weren't as bad but it was horrible the first month and I dished the money to pre-order so you can only imagine my dismay when I popped it in and these are the issues I faced. I will pre-order Skyrim but I will be a little weary to pop it in my system the day I get it. I only bring up New Vegas because it was one of the most popular examples of bad handling of releases.
smashbrolink
#1 I was right about out-ranking you by several years[27], but since that's trivial at this point I'll say no more on the subject.

#2 If you want more ammo to support your discussions instead of rehashing what we've all already heard, try this site: The Escapist.com: Extra Credits.

Listening to some of the subject matter these guys put out will VASTLY increase your knowledge base in terms of topics of this manner.

Then to your age I would ask you (and I mean this in the nicest way possible) don't ask rhetorical questions in a smart a** manner. It makes you look bad and like an a*****e. So if I was wrong on that issue I do apologize. I just ******** HATE rhetorical questions because they are meant to be sarcastic and nothing more. So again I don't know you personally but just look at it from my point of view, I'm trying to have an actual discussion where I even don't have a problem with the disputing me if they can discuss their issue (except tonight I am kind of an a*****e and tired I've worked over 24 hours on a car and can't get the damn fuel lines to work so I'm a little testy) and then someone comes in with an a*****e-type remark. You'd would probably take it the same way. As I asked on page 2, all I want is a little respect and I will try to show you that same respect.

Also I can defend the industry as well as I can bash the industry. It's not that I don't have more to say it's 1.) I hate typing everything I would like to say because frankly I hate sitting in front of my computer for hours on end. I do that at work I don't want to do that at home. So I hit my main points. 2.) The reason it's technically the same spiel worded different is because it's a different person that I am taking hasn't read my earlier posts and so I hit the points I see are important.

I'm actually fairly educated on the subjects I talk about. I prefer not to speak on subjects I am not educated on....cause...well frankly I don't know s**t about those subjects XD

P.S. through arguing with you I have come to like you because you are an annoying, arrogant, opinionated ******** like me. So I can respect that.

Gallant Hero

10,550 Points
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Beta Explorer 0
  • Treasure Hunter 100
Good enough for me.
I still highly recommend checking out Extra Credits, though.
Despite how learned you may already be, having more crammed in, when you aren't feeling too tired from other pursuits, can't hurt.XD[And if you want a good laugh from game reviews, check out Zero Punctuation, also on the same site as Extra Credits]
smashbrolink
Good enough for me.
I still highly recommend checking out Extra Credits, though.
Despite how learned you may already be, having more crammed in, when you aren't feeling too tired from other pursuits, can't hurt.XD[And if you want a good laugh from game reviews, check out Zero Punctuation, also on the same site as Extra Credits]

Alright I will give it a look. I mean why the hell not what could it hurt? Hopefully through this you've found that I'm not a complete a*****e...I just play one on tv. XD

Anyway. Anyone else on the thread that bothers to disagree with me. Say why, give me some reason...hell call me a b***h, a f*****t, even call me disgraced to mankind...just please don't be sarcastic and rhetorical. The one thing a sarcastic person (who is trying to have a nice civilized conversation) hates most is another smart-a** sarcastic person.

This message has been brought to you by an a*****e that cares. Thank you.
Now that I have gotten my frustrations out. Love you all, black, white, indian, asian, mexican, or a chiconky (like myself), have a great night. Hope I see some of you all back here tomorrow. It's been fun. Goodnight.
A Moment Past No Return
Am I really the only person here that thinks E3 was a letdown this year? Yeah they showed some good titles and whatnot but quite honestly there were no surprises at all. Nintendo announced the Wii U which sadly seems to be just another gimmicky console which makes me sad because I remember when Nintendo ruled the industry. Playstation Vita which at this point just seems like they are trying to cram as much into a handheld without any actual substance. I'll give both the benefit of the doubt though since both still have a ways to go till release. As for the games nothing new was announced that hasn't already been covered by gameinformer or G4 so the surprise factor was no where to be seen. As someone who grew up a gamer with the NES when graphics sucked but that meant all the time was spent building good stories and gameplay. I'm a little disappointed in the gaming industry. It just seems like they are getting lazy and are more about the flash and bang then gameplay and story anymore.

Maybe It's cause I'm 22 or maybe it's something else but I'm tired of playing games catering to 14 year old's obsession with blowing s**t up and I'm tired seeing them repackage the same game with a pretty new cover. I'll stop with that cause that is a totally different conversation but I can't be the only one that feels this way, am I?

Oh and by the way for those who think I'm just bitching for the sake of it. I own both a ps3 and 360 (used to own a Wii before it got stolen) and I am definitely looking forward to Uncharted 3, Skyrim, Batman Arkham City, Bioshock Infinite and more. Just kinda felt like E3 let us down as gamers this year.

To be honest, I agree with you for the most part. Maybe it's our age, as I'm 20, and our generation of games as kids were perfect, and that's how it is for this generation of kids. They're used to these games, it's what makes them so appealing for them. But, I'm growing tired of the FPS genre, I was never into it as much because of the games I grew up on. I prefer action/beat-em-up..and at this E3, they revealed quite a bit of those, which is nice! But I see that the FPS genre is still dominating most and I'm not too happy with that. I mean, I was content with Battlefield 3, just because I liked the way it looked, but I don't see it as a definite buy.

I wish there were a wider variety of games, and I wish they were all of high quality too. But, as sad as it is to say, I see Japanese developers slowly putting out better titles. It seemed that after the PS2 era, most RPGs and action games started to decline. Don't get me wrong, there are plenty still, but, the decline in Japanese developer games shows a real problem to me. Mainly because Japanese games were what pushed the consoles so far for earlier platforms, and now it's settled to American developers and a lot of FPS games. Though, FPS games are what is selling best now, so I can see why everyone is trying to board that cash train, but..it's a bit disappointing too.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff