Welcome to Gaia! ::

Okay, so it's no secret that I love this woman to no end. She's my favorite new companion, followed by Jack and Martha. I can understand people disliking her because she's brazen, sarcastic, and yes, she has taken up quite a lot of airtime. But I have heard some people describe her as "a vile, sociopathic human being", and I'm just wondering why. I mean, I've been warming up to Rose and Amy lately, even though I never really formed an attachment to them, and I never used those words to describe even them.

Perhaps I'm biased, but I don't really understand what makes River that terrible. sweatdrop

Dapper Cat

I actually quite like her as far as her personality goes.

What I don't like is the direction her character went during Series 6, especially when it was revealed she was Melody.
FinfoxAelia

What I don't like is the direction her character went during Series 6, especially when it was revealed she was Melody.
^^ THIS

I like her as a chracter. I was ok with The Doctor falling for her at first. But they way they did it just seemed too forced. The development of their romance seemed to all happen off screen. And all the stuff they did for her in season 6 seemed so rushed.
FinfoxAelia

I loved that revelation. I'm way into River's storyline. I just hope she doesn't have to watch one of her parents die, as far as rumors for series 7 go. I've never been a big fan of Amy and Rory, but I've been warming up to them lately, and it would be such bullshit for them to lose each other after all they've been through together.
Thats The Question
FinfoxAelia

^^ THIS

I like her as a chracter. I was ok with The Doctor falling for her at first. But they way they did it just seemed too forced. The development of their romance seemed to all happen off screen. And all the stuff they did for her in season 6 seemed so rushed.

I understand where you're coming from, but look at it this way. River was essentially raised by Kovarian and the Silence. She had her parents, sure, but up until her third incarnation, she had never really known love in the way that The Doctor loves her. So for him to be begging the Teselecta not to hurt her right after she'd just given him a death sentence must have been a pretty extreme emotional shift in her life.

Remember in "Day of the Moon", when she was talking about her first meeting with The Doctor? How he knew every last thing about her? Imagine what that would have done to someone who was raised to hate The Doctor. And then for her to learn how much he loves her, despite all of the terrible things she did, and not having really known him at all...that had to have changed something in her. It's not just what he whispered in her ear. It also has to do with what he taught her about humanity that up until that point, she didn't really have a full emotional grasp on.

Newbie Explorer

It's just the Doctor and River's rushed relationship that annoys me. She also calls him "Sweetie". That for some reason grates on my nerves. I don't know why...
Just to, er...reiterate, comments like these are what I mean by extreme. Luckily someone else commented back with a BAMF response that managed to take care of most of my immediate anger by literally taking the words out of my mouth.. Behold:

Quote:
River is a sociopath. She is way too mentally unstable to legally enter into any marriage nor can she legally consent to sex. If the Dr does have sex with this sick puke of a character, then he is committing an illegal act. Yes, I know this is "just a tv show" but there are certain things that cannot be ignored. Like common decency. And if Steve Moffat thinks this creepy obnoxious puke of a character would make a good wife and mother then he is not playing with a full-deck and it also brings to question what kind of upbringing did he have? lol

Uggh. Just...I have no words. Link. DX

Honestly, by this ignorant, ******** up logic, Amy can't be legally married due to the mental trauma that she had believing in a "raggedy Doctor" for twelve years that no one believed was real. Psshh. WTF. stare

Destructive Detective

19,200 Points
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Cat Fancier 100
x0_FATIMAGIC
Thats The Question
FinfoxAelia

^^ THIS

I understand where you're coming from, but look at it this way. River was essentially raised by Kovarian and the Silence. She had her parents, sure, but up until her third incarnation, she had never really known love in the way that The Doctor loves her. So for him to be begging the Teselecta not to hurt her right after she'd just given him a death sentence must have been a pretty extreme emotional shift in her life.

Remember in "Day of the Moon", when she was talking about her first meeting with The Doctor? How he knew every last thing about her? Imagine what that would have done to someone who was raised to hate The Doctor. And then for her to learn how much he loves her, despite all of the terrible things she did, and not having really known him at all...that had to have changed something in her. It's not just what he whispered in her ear. It also has to do with what he taught her about humanity that up until that point, she didn't really have a full emotional grasp on.
I think you mean third known incarnation. We've no idea how many others she might have had that were not shown.

Aged Noob

Reasons why I don't personally care for her:
1. The relationship between her and the Doctor seems forced and half-hearted.
2. Moffat didn't allow us to watch the relationship grow, leaving us all just saying, "Oh... uh... alright?"
3. The Doctor doesn't look at her right. When 9/10 looked at Rose, you could see something there; a passion, a connection, call it what you will. When 11 looks at River it's just like... "Bleh. You again."
4. When it was revealed she was Melody, I actually almost stopped watching the series. Twisty? Yes. Disturbing and on the verge of creepy? Even more so.
5. She just annoys me. Donna was outspoken and sassy, I enjoyed her presence and appreciated the change. River seems like a re-do of Miss Donna Noble. Donna cannot be replicated.

I just pray to God that the relationship doesn't last. If she really is The Doctor's "One," I swear I'll sell all of my cosplay stuff. It just isn't right. As a character, she's okay. As the Doctor's soul mate, she's rubbish.
Ratttking
x0_FATIMAGIC
Thats The Question
FinfoxAelia

^^ THIS

I think you mean third known incarnation. We've no idea how many others she might have had that were not shown.

Moff has yet to officially say anything on the subject, but it is implied that she only regenerated two times.
Toireann
2. Moffat didn't allow us to watch the relationship grow, leaving us all just saying, "Oh... uh... alright?"
3. The Doctor doesn't look at her right. When 9/10 looked at Rose, you could see something there; a passion, a connection, call it what you will. When 11 looks at River it's just like... "Bleh. You again."
4. When it was revealed she was Melody, I actually almost stopped watching the series. Twisty? Yes. Disturbing and on the verge of creepy? Even more so.
5. She just annoys me. Donna was outspoken and sassy, I enjoyed her presence and appreciated the change. River seems like a re-do of Miss Donna Noble. Donna cannot be replicated.

I just pray to God that the relationship doesn't last. If she really is The Doctor's "One," I swear I'll sell all of my cosplay stuff. It just isn't right. As a character, she's okay. As the Doctor's soul mate, she's rubbish.

See, I don't see the relationship as forced. As for why, I'll redirect you to my post above about "Day of the Moon." And as for their chemistry, I definitely think it's there. The thing is, with The Doctor's lifespan, he's bound to fall for more than one person. So even though I love him and River together, I don't necessarily think that he has a "one" exactly.

As for Donna and River, they're hardly the same character. River and Donna's sassiness is only one element to both of their personalities.

8,300 Points
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Flatterer 200
Toireann

I can see some of the similarities but it never crossed my mind that River was some how a redo of Donna. Hmm, it's going to be weird seeing River next season since I'll be obssesd with trying to find more similarities. As for the rest, I agree whole heartily. 3nodding

Destructive Detective

19,200 Points
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Cat Fancier 100
x0_FATIMAGIC
Ratttking
x0_FATIMAGIC
Thats The Question
FinfoxAelia

^^ THIS

Moff has yet to officially say anything on the subject, but it is implied that she only regenerated two times.
Implied how? I would guess that she had regenerated at least once before we saw her do so as a small child in an alley, or else how would she have known what would happen or what she had to do? I wonder if it is an involuntary or voluntary reaction to death, and how the Master could choose not to regenerate.
Ratttking
x0_FATIMAGIC
Ratttking
x0_FATIMAGIC
Thats The Question
FinfoxAelia

^^ THIS

Implied how? I would guess that she had regenerated at least once before we saw her do so as a small child in an alley, or else how would she have known what would happen or what she had to do? I wonder if it is an involuntary or voluntary reaction to death, and how the Master could choose not to regenerate.

I had always been under the impression that it was an involuntary reaction, and that it was instinctual. Plus, Kovarian had probably clued her in on her "special DNA" before she managed to escape, and River's always been pretty smart.

That's why I was confused when The Master refused to regenerate. I thought he had no choice. Huh.

Destructive Detective

19,200 Points
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Cat Fancier 100
x0_FATIMAGIC
Ratttking
x0_FATIMAGIC
Ratttking
x0_FATIMAGIC

I had always been under the impression that it was an involuntary reaction, and that it was instinctual. Plus, Kovarian had probably clued her in on her "special DNA" before she managed to escape, and River's always been pretty smart.

That's why I was confused when The Master refused to regenerate. I thought he had no choice. Huh.
I am still confused by his actions with the Melkur, and it's been a very long time since I saw The Keeper of Traken. I sort of thought that was it for him.

Oh, regarding that idiot who thinks River is a sociopath - does he even know the definition? She is not even close. Sociopaths would never sacrifice themselves to save the lives of others. Even if she were, there is no reason the Doctor could not have sex with/marry/reproduce with her, as holding either of them to very limited regional laws in the 21st century is ridiculous. Even now, there is no law that prevents mentally incompetent women from bearing children, unfortunately.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff