Welcome to Gaia! ::

i actually really liked love and monsters, well except for the absorbaloff. but I really like the character in the story(forgot his name) And i thought i was pretty funny.
well i know that a lot of people don't enjoy humor in DW because it's a sci-fi show, but come on!

Karasunosaki's Prince

Feline Friend

17,100 Points
  • Beta Citizen 0
  • Ultimate Player 200
  • Tycoon 200
I really quite liked Love and Monsters until the last ten-ish minutes, when it abruptly became tasteless and crude. Same with the Slitheen. I really would have liked them as villains if they hadn't been a walking fart joke. Which was why Boomtown was an amazing episode, I thought: it ran with the gleefully sociopathic nature of the Slitheen and left out the fart jokes.

Party Member

scherzofrog
I really quite liked Love and Monsters until the last ten-ish minutes, when it abruptly became tasteless and crude. Same with the Slitheen. I really would have liked them as villains if they hadn't been a walking fart joke. Which was why Boomtown was an amazing episode, I thought: it ran with the gleefully sociopathic nature of the Slitheen and left out the fart jokes.
User Image User Image User Image User Image User Image User Image User Image

This. 3nodding

Magical Investigator

22,875 Points
  • Bookworm 100
  • Pine Perfection 250
  • Forum Regular 100
Kinny Fear
scherzofrog
User Image User Image User Image User Image User Image User Image User Image

This. 3nodding

These. whee

By far, I think my favorite moments of Love and Monsters were either the bits with ELO, or the Scooby Doo Doors at the beginning. Also the feeling that there were people out there who were interested in the Doctor, but never really got to go on a proper adventure with him. We didn't really need an alien menace for that episode, I don't think. Or at least a more menacing one that was more interested in finding the Doctor than absorbing the people. I mean, come on. Imagine if someone like the Master took over that kind of organization. He'd have totally been on that s**t, and would have actually caused a problem for the Doctor.

But no. It just became "Oh, this guy made Rose's mom cry, let's go pester HIM! Oh hey look an alien, well, I guess ******** you." "WE SHALL DEFEAT IT WITH THE POWER OF TEAMWORK!" "Oh, looks like I'm not needed then. Okay. Your girlfriend's a slab of concrete, I'll be off now." *VWORP VWORP VWORP*

No.

And yeah, my first Doctor Who episode ever was "Aliens of London." So the Slitheen are kinda the defining moment for Doctor Who aliens, which is... a bit depressing, now that I think of it. But yeah, Boom Town was much better. Far funnier, too, with the Doctor knowing exactly how to handle her and her "secret" methods of trying to kill him.
Xiam

And yeah, my first Doctor Who episode ever was "Aliens of London." So the Slitheen are kinda the defining moment for Doctor Who aliens, which is... a bit depressing, now that I think of it. But yeah, Boom Town was much better. Far funnier, too, with the Doctor knowing exactly how to handle her and her "secret" methods of trying to kill him.

I did love Boomtown.

And I'm all for humor in Doctor Who, but really I think it should've evolved past meaningless or crude humor. The funny needs a storyline too, that's all I'm saying.
scherzofrog

I adored Love & Monsters. I thought it was great because we got to take a little break from the "timey-wimey" of the week, and focus on the Whoniverse from a non-companion perspective, similar to "Blink."

The best parts by far were the ELO and Elton John jokes that RTD threw in there, Elton's "desperate" search for Rose Tyler, and the LINDA joke. (My sister always does that. Instead of saying "cookies and cream" she takes the smartass route and goes, "cookies nnnnnnnnn cream." She's like, "If they don't want people to say it that way, they shouldn't ******** spell it that way!" )

Being a Potterhead, I loved that Shirley Henderson was in it. That whole episode, I kept yelling at her character to look for The Doctor in the toilet. And then, when they were looking for Mr. Skinner, and the alien said that he was in the toilet....DAMN I cracked up for like, five minutes straight. XD

But yes, they decided to go with the Slitheen route and make the alien an obnoxious b*****d. That I didn't like. However, I didn't think the ending was tasteless, just...wierd. Kind of like how Lazlo got stuck with his pig face in "Evolution of the Daleks." But I do like that they...stayed together.

As a matter of fact, when I first saw that episode, it reminded me SO FREAKIN' MUCH of "Random Shoes" from Torchwood. They're like parallel episodes, if you've seen both of them.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff