Welcome to Gaia! ::

DrkCloudStrife

Haha that was one of the reasons. Another one was compare the release name with the actual release number

nt 4.0 = 4
2000 = 5
xp = 6
vista = 7
7 = 8
8 = 9
10 = 10

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Microsoft_Windows_versions

What the heck is going on with these differences on the versions? They did the same thing in 2009 when everyone believed that Vista was 6 while the next one would be the 7th one. It did came from Wikipedia, so it might have a reason why it screwed up a little bit.

Hilarious Genius

4,200 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Gaian 50
Does MSDN distribute Windows builds/alphas or is it just still components and software?

Wondering what the user experience will be like. I'm a fan of both 7 and 8, just took a little while to get used to Metro's quirks!
DrkCloudStrife
Synapt
DrkCloudStrife
Haha that was one of the reasons. Another one was compare the release name with the actual release number

nt 4.0 = 4
2000 = 5
xp = 6
vista = 7
7 = 8
8 = 9
10 = 10

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Microsoft_Windows_versions

You know it helps if you read your own links, you went completely off track as soon as you hit XP.

The release "number" is generally the kernel number, and XP was NT kernel 5.1, Vista was kernel 6.0, Windows 7 was 6.1, Windows 8 and 8.1 were kernels 6.2 and 6.3 respectively and Windows 9 (now called 10) is showing as NT kernel 6.4 in it's build apparently.

I guess I picked the wrong wording. The kernel number on the wiki is the kernel version. I was talking about the operating system release number compared by the name.
In order of release (not including server or mobile versions):
Windows 1
Windows 2
Windows 3
Windows NT 3.1 (there is no NT 3.0, or NT 2 or NT 1 for that matter)
Windows 95
Windows NT 4
Windows 98
Windows 2000
Windows ME
Windows XP
Windows Vista
Windows 7
Windows 8

Windows 10 will be the 14th Windows if you go by the names alone (again: not including server or mobile versions). I think your theory is wrong.

Aged Lunatic

The20
In order of release (not including server or mobile versions):
Windows 1
Windows 2
Windows 3
Windows NT 3.1 (there is no NT 3.0, or NT 2 or NT 1 for that matter)
Windows 95
Windows NT 4
Windows 98
Windows 2000
Windows ME
Windows XP
Windows Vista
Windows 7
Windows 8

Windows 10 will be the 14th Windows if you go by the names alone (again: not including server or mobile versions). I think your theory is wrong.

Tbh based on his list I think he was quoting primarily from the NT kernel based ones, but even at that he was more or less wrong in the reason.
Synapt
Tbh based on his list I think he was quoting primarily from the NT kernel based ones, but even at that he was more or less wrong in the reason.
If you go by major versions it would be 8, if you go by minor versions it would be 12. If you go by Kernel version it would be 6.4, but that'd be two steps back so nobody would do that. They could just call it Windows X, which implies the 10 but does not require it, but then Apple would sue them for using roman numerals in an OS name just like OSX ...

Unrelated (maybe?): https://searchcode.com/codesearch/view/60696206/
Line 41
Why?? emotion_facepalm

Aged Lunatic

The20
Synapt
If you go by major versions it would be 8, if you go by minor versions it would be 12. If you go by Kernel version it would be 6.4, but that'd be two steps back so nobody would do that. They could just call it Windows X, which implies the 10 but does not require it, but then Apple would sue them for using roman numerals in an OS name just like OSX ...

Line 41
Why?? emotion_facepalm

Largely related, also I believe I linked as much (a broad 'code search') earlier on in the topic razz
Synapt
The20
Synapt

Line 41
Why?? emotion_facepalm

Largely related, also I believe I linked as much (a broad 'code search') earlier on in the topic razz
I've seen such a search, but on a completely different website. Does Gamestar ring a bell?
Didn't they just release windows 8 not too long ago?

Aged Lunatic

XXxxElectric_RainbowXXxx
Didn't they just release windows 8 not too long ago?

It's possibly worth pointing out before the fiasco of Vista after XP, microsoft roughly had a 2-year release cycle between windows releases.

Blessed Gaian

❀ ✿

So far I personally adore Windows 10 because my laptop had Windows 8 and it honestly would take 14 minutes to load a page. With this version everything works so fast, its amazing. I actually want to use my laptop again, and its a powerful laptop too.

The only real issues I have is with typing. The cursor will make me type in the wrong spots or stop typing all together. Drives me nuts. And the right button on my laptop goes buggy when I use it so I have to use my mouse every time I use my laptop now to get around that issue.

Basically I love it and fear when they take it away and I have to go back to Windows 8.
Sincerely,
Anne

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas