Welcome to Gaia! ::

Friendly Explorer

8,850 Points
  • Forum Explorer 100
  • Voter 100
  • Member 100
My sister got a brand new laptop, we installed avast! antivirus on it, and the one we normally use is Outpost Firewall for the firewall. But, apparently, the free one is not capable with Windows 8. We installed ZoneAlarm, turned off its, "anti-virus" feature, and now we are having problems. But, I want a new Firewall for her computer, but I am not quite sure what to pick. Any Suggestions?
Thanks in advance!

-ComputerNerd250
(even I need help.... LOL)

Aged Lunatic

I usually point people to Comodo myself, as far as I've seen from systems I set it up on, it has no real issues with Windows 8.
The problem with firewalls is that they very often dont like independant AV and start to block each other...Avast has its daily streaming updates which may not work to good with some firewalls.
i would as synap says go for Comodo generally

Windows firewall is reasonably good for incoming but local out going is left open so all your details can be shipped out..

tinywall works with windows (only) and adds the outgoing protection or so it boasts..though i have never tried it

Aged Lunatic

9cer
http://download.cnet.com/Privatefirewall/3000-10435_4-10371057.html

The above is the Top Rated firewall in Firewall Software sorted by Editor's rating on CNET.

It is free.

How about sorting by user ratings or downloads at the very least, as I recall the past few years there've been a few times where cnet was called out for biased "reviews" of things, but even if they weren't the total downloads and user review averages are likely going to be far more accurate than an editor review, especially one that's two years old basically now.
I wouldn't go on 1 journalists review of anything myself....what gives a Editor the qualifications to know what the best firewall is..?????

I just actually read from the same website They thought Windows 8.1 was well worth the $40 upgrade fee !!!??

PC mag gives comodo as the best..another site says zone alarm.... the best way is to see what is getting the best reviews/ ratings across the board of tech jounals etc.. then pick one and try it..

Aged Lunatic

9cer
Synapt
How about sorting by user ratings or downloads at the very least

No... because user ratings aren't a professional review. And going by the amount of times a certain firewall has been downloaded wouldn't mean much about how good it is.

Going by Editor's rating would seem the smartest, because the CNET editor should know the most about firewalls.

I said user ratings and downloads, reviews don't need to be professional to be legit, I'd take the opinions of someone who has probably used the software for months over someone who spent a couple days 'playing' with it.

And what exactly makes you feel a CNet editor would know "the most" about firewalls? Last I checked they're just what they're called, editors, they're journalists of a sort, they're there to make basic opinions about stuff.

I would be moderately floored if the "editors" that stated reviews of any firewall on there actually have any security background, more so since for all we know they could have been paid off to make their review (not to ignore the fact as well, as I pointed out already, that the original editor review is 2 years old, a lot changes in 2 years, and the review is likely completely irrelevant at this point).

Friendly Explorer

8,850 Points
  • Forum Explorer 100
  • Voter 100
  • Member 100
Thanks Guys! I will try to try Comodo, but can someone give me the link to its free firewall?
Comodo Free Firewall

theres a link to the site.... make sure you read the set up instructions or you could end up blocking things you need ..like Avast Updates, updates for your PC etc...and of course any download sites you use

Friendly Explorer

8,850 Points
  • Forum Explorer 100
  • Voter 100
  • Member 100
name_is_taken
Comodo Free Firewall

theres a link to the site.... make sure you read the set up instructions or you could end up blocking things you need ..like Avast Updates, updates for your PC etc...and of course any download sites you use

Okay, Thanks!

Friendly Explorer

8,850 Points
  • Forum Explorer 100
  • Voter 100
  • Member 100
name_is_taken
Comodo Free Firewall

Well, actually, I think I tried that before, and it crashed the computer a lot. I know because after I installed it, it started crashing, Then I uninstalled it , it stopped crashing.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff