Welcome to Gaia! ::

Victorious Victory

25,950 Points
  • Hellraiser 500
  • Master Converter 500
  • Rebel Spark 50
I want to build a PC soon, and I'm wondering about if this build is any good.
I also have no idea how to allow a wireless internet connection on my pc.
Help and advice is greatly appreciated. heart
https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/user/nmyhv1/saved/zdTNnQ

Aged Noob

550 Points
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Happy Birthday! 100
  • Timid 100
nmyhv1
http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/p/32pDK8

It's pretty good but I personally would go with something like this instead:

Quote:
PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i3-4130 3.4GHz Dual-Core Processor (£78.79 @ Aria PC)
Motherboard: MSI Z97 PC MATE ATX LGA1150 Motherboard (£64.74 @ Aria PC)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance Pro 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-2400 Memory (£71.98 @ Amazon UK)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive (£53.94 @ Aria PC)
Power Supply: EVGA 500W 80+ Certified ATX Power Supply (£31.15 @ Aria PC)
Optical Drive: Lite-On iHAS124-14 DVD/CD Writer (£11.16 @ Aria PC)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 8.1 (OEM) (64-bit) (£72.35 @ Aria PC)
Monitor: Asus VE247H 23.6" Monitor (£123.59 @ Aria PC)
Other: Genius SP-120 2.6W Compact 2 Channel (£12.95)
Other: GIGABYTE Force K3 Gaming Keyboard (£16.00)
Other: AMD Sapphire Radeon R9 2GB (£138.02)
Other: BitFenix Comrade Midi-Tower - Black (£29.99)
Total: £704.66
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-01-18 21:58 GMT+0000

The core i3 is better for gaming than the FX-6300. Also, upgrading from an FX-6300 to like a FX-8350 isn't a very big upgrade so there's not much room for upgrade in the future. But upgrading from an i3 to an i7 is a huge upgrade so having that possibility can extend the life of your build if you decide to upgrade in the future.

Victorious Victory

25,950 Points
  • Hellraiser 500
  • Master Converter 500
  • Rebel Spark 50
kenjitamura
nmyhv1

Quote:

Memory: Corsair Vengeance Pro 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-2400 Memory (£71.98 @ Amazon UK)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive (£53.94 @ Aria PC)

The core i3 is better for gaming than the FX-6300. Also, upgrading from an FX-6300 to like a FX-8350 isn't a very big upgrade so there's not much room for upgrade in the future. But upgrading from an i3 to an i7 is a huge upgrade so having that possibility can extend the life of your build if you decide to upgrade in the future.

Are there any other alternatives to the i3 in the same price range?

Aged Noob

550 Points
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Happy Birthday! 100
  • Timid 100
nmyhv1

Unfortunately no. Currently x86 CPU's are a two manufacturer race so at any given price point you frequently only have the single offering from each manufacturer.

Victorious Victory

25,950 Points
  • Hellraiser 500
  • Master Converter 500
  • Rebel Spark 50
kenjitamura
nmyhv1

Unfortunately no. Currently x86 CPU's are a two manufacturer race so at any given price point you frequently only have the single offering from each manufacturer.

Hmm, well. I don't understand what makes the i3 better than the 6300. Would you be willing to briefly explain?

Aged Noob

550 Points
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Happy Birthday! 100
  • Timid 100
nmyhv1
kenjitamura
nmyhv1

Hmm, well. I don't understand what makes the i3 better than the 6300. Would you be willing to briefly explain?

For gaming the i3 is a little better and for single-threaded tasks the i3 is much better than the FX-6300. The intel i3 processor has a much higher IPC, Instruction Per Cycle, than the FX-6300 which generally makes it better for single-threaded tasks. The FX-6300 will keep up with games that are very well optimized for more cores which are few, but the number is increasing pretty fast and most new games do take better advantage of multi-core optimizations.

Where the i3 really wins though is upgradeability and power performance. Like Is aid earlier an upgrade from an FX-6300 to an FX-8350 isn't all that great. You get almost no improvement in single threaded performance thanks to a slightly higher clock rate and see about a ~25% increase in performance on multi-threaded tasks thanks to another module but that's it. Where as an i3 to an i7 sees an even better increase in single threaded tasks and a dramatic increase in multi-threaded tasks.

Though if you like the FX-6300 route there's nothing wrong with going with that. Like I said, for me it's just a matter of preference. I like that the i3-4130 uses much less power while giving much better single threaded performance and leaves very good options for upgrading. Meanwhile the FX-6300 gets a bit better multi-threaded performance.

The FX-6300 doesn't completely blow away the i3-4130 in multi-threaded performance though like you'd normally think when you think about comparing a dual core to a 6 core. Because of the much lower IPC that bulldozer based modules have compared to intels offerings their per core performance isn't all that great on multi-threaded tasks. And thanks to the core i3's hyper-threading it does much better than a typical dual core on multi threaded tasks.

Victorious Victory

25,950 Points
  • Hellraiser 500
  • Master Converter 500
  • Rebel Spark 50
kenjitamura
nmyhv1
kenjitamura
nmyhv1

For gaming the i3 is a little better and for single-threaded tasks the i3 is much better than the FX-6300. The intel i3 processor has a much higher IPC, Instruction Per Cycle, than the FX-6300 which generally makes it better for single-threaded tasks. The FX-6300 will keep up with games that are very well optimized for more cores which are few, but the number is increasing pretty fast and most new games do take better advantage of multi-core optimizations.

Where the i3 really wins though is upgradeability and power performance. Like Is aid earlier an upgrade from an FX-6300 to an FX-8350 isn't all that great. You get almost no improvement in single threaded performance thanks to a slightly higher clock rate and see about a ~25% increase in performance on multi-threaded tasks thanks to another module but that's it. Where as an i3 to an i7 sees an even better increase in single threaded tasks and a dramatic increase in multi-threaded tasks.

Though if you like the FX-6300 route there's nothing wrong with going with that. Like I said, for me it's just a matter of preference. I like that the i3-4130 uses much less power while giving much better single threaded performance and leaves very good options for upgrading. Meanwhile the FX-6300 gets a bit better multi-threaded performance.

The FX-6300 doesn't completely blow away the i3-4130 in multi-threaded performance though like you'd normally think when you think about comparing a dual core to a 6 core. Because of the much lower IPC that bulldozer based modules have compared to intels offerings their per core performance isn't all that great on multi-threaded tasks. And thanks to the core i3's hyper-threading it does much better than a typical dual core on multi threaded tasks.

Thanks for explaining, but all I've read is you telling me how much better the i3 is than the 6300, apart from in games that make better use of more cores.

Would it be rude to request an explanation to the difference between single-threaded and multi-threaded tasks please?

Aged Noob

550 Points
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Happy Birthday! 100
  • Timid 100
nmyhv1

Would it be rude to request an explanation to the difference between single-threaded and multi-threaded tasks please?

Single threaded tasks are tasks which must be executed in an order or sequentially. Multi-threaded tasks can be split into several tasks that can all be done at the same time by multiple threads or cores. There are lots of programs that must be done sequentially because for the next step it is required to know the result of an operation being done in the current step. These sequential programs don't see a speed up at all from using multiple threads or cores.

Well here's a link between the performance difference between the i3-3220 and the FX-6300. Be sure to look at the left side to see which benchmarks show "Higher is Better" and which show "Lower is better".

http://anandtech.com/bench/product/677?vs=699

The i3-3220 is about 10%-15% slower than an i3-4130 so keep that in mind.

Going by the benchmarks the i3 and the FX-6300 are pretty comparable. But like I said, what I prefer about the i3 is that it's getting this performance on 54 watts of power where as the FX-6300 is using 95 watts so it has a better performance/energy use.

Additionally though. If you wanted to upgrade from the FX-6300 about the best choice out there is the FX-8350. But if you wanted to upgrade from the i3-4130 you could go all the way up to an i7 like the i7-4790. Here's the benchmarks comparing the FX-8350 to the i7-4790k:

http://anandtech.com/bench/product/1260?vs=697
(Be sure to look at the left side to see which benchmarks are listed as "Higher is better" and which ones are "Lower is better" wink

The FX-8350 gets pretty much blown away by the i7-4790k and the i7 is still using much less power doing it. So upgrading from an FX-6300 to an FX-8350 in the future wouldn't be that big of an upgrade. But upgrading from an i3-4130 to an i7 would be a huge upgrade without having to replace your motherboard.

Just a reminder, the AM3+ socket is looking to be dead. IF AMD decides to release any more FX processors it won't be until sometime in 2016 because the 2015 AMD roadmap does not show any new FX processors. They will most likely require a new motherboard for the upgrade because of the transition to DDR4 RAM and they're giving up the bulldozer architecture for something entirely new.

Greedy Noob

7,600 Points
  • Millionaire 200
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Tycoon 200
nmyhv1

Well what's the purpose of the build? Gaming? Video editing? Or what else?

Victorious Victory

25,950 Points
  • Hellraiser 500
  • Master Converter 500
  • Rebel Spark 50
TacticalLunchBox
nmyhv1

Well what's the purpose of the build? Gaming? Video editing? Or what else?

General use and gaming.

Victorious Victory

25,950 Points
  • Hellraiser 500
  • Master Converter 500
  • Rebel Spark 50
kenjitamura
nmyhv1

Single threaded tasks are tasks which must be executed in an order or sequentially. Multi-threaded tasks can be split into several tasks that can all be done at the same time by multiple threads or cores. There are lots of programs that must be done sequentially because for the next step it is required to know the result of an operation being done in the current step. These sequential programs don't see a speed up at all from using multiple threads or cores.

Well here's a link between the performance difference between the i3-3220 and the FX-6300. Be sure to look at the left side to see which benchmarks show "Higher is Better" and which show "Lower is better".

http://anandtech.com/bench/product/677?vs=699

The i3-3220 is about 10%-15% slower than an i3-4130 so keep that in mind.

Going by the benchmarks the i3 and the FX-6300 are pretty comparable. But like I said, what I prefer about the i3 is that it's getting this performance on 54 watts of power where as the FX-6300 is using 95 watts so it has a better performance/energy use.

Additionally though. If you wanted to upgrade from the FX-6300 about the best choice out there is the FX-8350. But if you wanted to upgrade from the i3-4130 you could go all the way up to an i7 like the i7-4790. Here's the benchmarks comparing the FX-8350 to the i7-4790k:

http://anandtech.com/bench/product/1260?vs=697
(Be sure to look at the left side to see which benchmarks are listed as "Higher is better" and which ones are "Lower is better" wink

The FX-8350 gets pretty much blown away by the i7-4790k and the i7 is still using much less power doing it. So upgrading from an FX-6300 to an FX-8350 in the future wouldn't be that big of an upgrade. But upgrading from an i3-4130 to an i7 would be a huge upgrade without having to replace your motherboard.

Just a reminder, the AM3+ socket is looking to be dead. IF AMD decides to release any more FX processors it won't be until sometime in 2016 because the 2015 AMD roadmap does not show any new FX processors. They will most likely require a new motherboard for the upgrade because of the transition to DDR4 RAM and they're giving up the bulldozer architecture for something entirely new.

Well I'll be damned, I didn't realise how good the intel processors were.
Upgrade-ability only adds to how good. x-x
Would you recommend for me to get this: http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/part/intel-cpu-bx80646i54460
Rather than the i3, even though it's my first PC build?

Loyal Lunatic

kenjitamura
nmyhv1

Quote:

I rather do windows 7 than 8. Idk im just more confromtable with 7

Victorious Victory

25,950 Points
  • Hellraiser 500
  • Master Converter 500
  • Rebel Spark 50
AbsolutelyPriceless
kenjitamura
nmyhv1

Quote:

I rather do windows 7 than 8. Idk im just more confromtable with 7

Windows 8.1, newer software. Cheap af. Been using it for almost 2 years too. :c

Aged Noob

550 Points
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Happy Birthday! 100
  • Timid 100
nmyhv1

Well I'll be damned, I didn't realise how good the intel processors were.
Upgrade-ability only adds to how good. x-x
Would you recommend for me to get this: http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/part/intel-cpu-bx80646i54460
Rather than the i3, even though it's my first PC build?

If your budget is constrained you should be fine with just the i3 for now. Otherwise, yes the i5 would be better if you can afford it and you're willing to drop the cash on it.

On the Windows 7 vs WIndows 8 debate my personal preference is Windows 8. Starting with Windows 8 Microsoft changed the terms with the software that is a huge improvement for system builders.

With Windows 7 it used to be that there was a $100 OEM version and a $200 Retail version. If you bought the OEM version you were NOT allowed to replace your motherboard because it would invalidate the license which meant if you wanted to still use Windows you had to buy another $100 copy. But if you bought the $200 Retail version you were allowed to swap the motherboard and not have to buy another license.

Windows 8 changed things though. They stopped selling the $200 Retail version and now the $100 OEM version is treated the same as the retail version. So with Windows 8 you're allowed to replace your motherboard and it doesn't invalidate your license even with only the $100 OEM copy.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff