Welcome to Gaia! ::

Profitable Tycoon

3,700 Points
  • Wall Street 200
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Tycoon 200
I've got one that's right up your alley, Cel. I know during Jim Balent's time on Catwoman they mentioned that Selina had a photographic memory just like the Taskmaster over at Marvel. I haven't heard anything about that in a while. Did they forget that fact, or was it ret-conned out?

Adored Hunter

Quote:
Cel, could you add the Elfquest to the list via this thread, please?
Richard Rider
I've got one that's right up your alley, Cel. I know during Jim Balent's time on Catwoman they mentioned that Selina had a photographic memory just like the Taskmaster over at Marvel. I haven't heard anything about that in a while. Did they forget that fact, or was it ret-conned out?

Was never quite the extremely skilled Taskmaster level, but yes I remember that too. They basically just forgot about it. Lot's of things were just forgotten about afte Balent left the title. He was one it for about 5 years, it started to plummet (rightly so) when he left. Writer would just start...throwing things in because they could, or pretending things never happened.
Much like in current continuity it's been supposed that Catwoman was at one point "evil" (which never happened), it's also been decided that she doesn't have the photographic memory anymore. Except it's technically how she became Catwoman in the first place, getting into a fight with Hellhound/Kai while trying to steal something, getting her a** handed to her, then having a second fight not hours later with him and repeating the same moves he used on her in order to fight back.
Another thing that was interestingly forgotten is that Frank Miller didn't really make Selina a prostitute. Reading year one, I assumed she was a dominatrix, but not a whore.

Quote:
Cel, could you add the Elfquest to the list via this thread, please?

Done.
Quote:
Cel, may I request that you add the Hellboy/BPRD thread to your list?

Also, my own stupid question: Nightcrawler decided to become a priest but, thank you Mr. Austen, he either imagined it or was nearly killed by exploding wafers. I'd like a more detailed explanation, please.
Quote:
Cel, may I request that you add the Hellboy/BPRD thread to your list?

Added. And I've got one for the Marvel people. I like the Wolverine comics from the 90s, the stuff of the Silvestri era, and who do I see around fairly often but little Elsie-dee and he robotic Wolverine-clone Albert. What eventually happened to these guys? Did they get lost to the void of continuity or were they actually written out at some point?
If I recall correctly, the last time Elsie-dee and the Wolvie-bot appeared was when they were sent to kill Logan. They met, but decided that Logan was too noble to be destroyed -- xd -- and left. After that, I think they just dropped off the map and haven't reappeared since.
I remember that they kept showing up on occassion to save Wolverine or to help him out. It was uncanny and, i'll admitt with LCD's lisp, really cute. I wasn't aware they ever wanted to kill him.
Crawlerette

Also, my own stupid question: Nightcrawler decided to become a priest but, thank you Mr. Austen, he either imagined it or was nearly killed by exploding wafers. I'd like a more detailed explanation, please.

Let me see if I remember it correctly. According to Austen, Kurt had always remembered that the X-Men were present when he became a priest (I can't remember the name of the ritual right now), but the X-Men assure Kurt that they were not there and investigation showed that the Church that Kurt underwent the ritual at was empty. From there things get fuzzy for me, but a bunch of students end up crucified on the front lawn while the X-Men were away and eventually it's revealed that an evil cult had planned to execute a conspiracy whereby they would disguise Kurt as a human and quietly work him up the ranks of the Catholic church until he was the Pope, at which point they would stage a phony Rapture by giving people attending the mass communion wafers that would make them... wait for it... explode (or something similar anyway) and end the whole thing by revealing Kurt's true (pseudo demonic) form, thereby destroying the credibility of the Catholic church. I'm sure there was more to it than that, but that's all my poor brain can properly recall.
Yay! A place to ask the (endless amounts of) questions that vex me in the middle of the night for no reason.

This one dates back (way back) to the aftermath of Barbara Gordon being shot by the Joker. When did she decide to become Oracle and what led her to form her own team of "crime fighters"?

(kudos to Cel for this thread and for going ahead and adding the Hex link 3nodding )
Celaeno
Sorce
Celaeno
I'm kicking it off with my own stupid question.

Most of the Batman stuff I enjoy reading either pertains to his relationship with Catwoman or anything that has to do with the Year One era stuff. Long Halloween, Year One itself, Dark Victory, the early things. In these books, Gordon is married to Barbara. Lot's of his personal story revolves around this relationship and the birth of his son.
By No Man's Land, which I perused only briefly, I'm given to understand that Gordon is married to Sarah Essen.
So...what the hell happened to Barbara?
The "distance" between them (Barbara and Jim) increased and the marriage began to fall apart; the death of their son didn't help much either. During this, Jim's eye wandered a bit. To Sarah, actually. Both knew it was wrong; both tried to not have the relationship, but alas, it occurred. Barbara left him, and eventually, Jim married Sarah.
The kid died? What happened there? There is a deffinate gap in my Batman reading...of course I just liked the characters so much better in the beginning.
Just checked Google...

I said he was dead, but apparently no one really knows. There's the "Barbara took him with her at the divorce", "he saved Bat-Babs in Family", and a few other things.

Reality is that it was supposed to be a joke. Gordon's son was supposed to be a girl; Babs specifically. But the timeline was way off, so it was changed to be a boy. Though no one's even sure on the name, whether or not it was James Jr. or Tony. And these are Comic Geeks (and a few writers, such as John Byrne) that are confused.
Okay I'm pretty sure all Human Torch ( Johnny Storm) could do when he first showed was flame on, resist flame and use thermals to fly. When did he get the huge power boost?
Here's a couple...

Why do people always say that Formerly Known as The Justice League and I Can't Belive it's Not The Justice League are out of continuity? What's wrong with just saying they happened before Identity Crisis?

Other than Sovereign Seven, have there been any other creator-owned characters who've been treated as fully part of the DCU?
Kay_Challis
Here's a couple...

Why do people always say that Formerly Known as The Justice League and I Can't Belive it's Not The Justice League are out of continuity? What's wrong with just saying they happened before Identity Crisis?

Other than Sovereign Seven, have there been any other creator-owned characters who've been treated as fully part of the DCU?
I can't think of any fully-creator owned characters at DC, only creators with better contracts.
In which case, Batman, who how the most amazingly good contract for Bob Kane.

Codebreaking Phantom

10,775 Points
  • Happy 13th, Gaia Online! 50
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Destroyer of Cuteness 150
Kay_Challis
I don't believe so. It definately seems to be a one off.
lostphrack
Kay_Challis
I don't believe so. It definately seems to be a one off.

Shame. Not that it was a great series or anything...but it could have turned into a good model of ownership had it taken off. I think Peter David originally wanted (but didn't get) a similar deal for Fallen Angel.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff