Welcome to Gaia! ::

Hah, you'd like that wouldn't you?

I considered doing just that when starting, but I refuse to write about a certain category if the artist/writer isn't going to bother reading it. Hence, the blocks of text. :] I wrote those critiques for the artists and writers, but if others learned something from it then woopty do for them, though it's not something I intended for. XD

But if you guys want that, then sure, I'll use the suggested method the next time.

Ah, sideboob. It's hilarious and highly attractive at the same time.

Yes, damn it, we want feedback! GIVE US FEEDBACK, DAMN YOU!

Anyway, I don't intend to try to lace my reviews with my flawed sense of humor next year. If there's something I suck at writing, it's something funny. At least, witty funny. Sarcastic funny and random funny I can do. I should have been serious from the start, but I got ahead of myself.

Which is an easy way of saying I was a biased dickhead.

Someone mentioned not judging the first few pages, but I think it's necessary. Sometimes progress comes from looking at the past. If all we did was look at the newest pages, you wouldn't actually be getting a full critique. Sometimes a comic does things better when it first gets started (ie the project loses steam), so we HAVE to let you know what we think from beginning to end.

Not that mine was much critique, but... I forgot what I was going to write. Wow. This comes from days of not having decent meals or sleep.
I don't recall why but Sam PM'd me her input.

The basic gist of it was:

-Work on your attitude Held. It's unprofessional. But you already figured that one out. x3

-We might want to consider getting more judges the next time. Specifically, we might want to get one or two for each category.

-We should encourage the entrants to counter our critiques. Granted this might make them hypocrites (what with signing up specifically to get input, I assume), but it's always nice to know where they think we screwed up.

-We really do have to stick to our deadlines. Life or no, it's extremely unprofessional to be late. Granted we are amateurs, but it's fun to pretend.

-Judging the first few pages is a must. Held, you provided a very good reason for this.

Erh, what else....
Brain farts for everyone!

Maybe I'll just sit back and watch the show next year. I seem unpopular. xd
Well as I said to Sam, you might be a little crass and biased, but you are a reader and that makes your opinion as valuable as the next. And really, what reader isn't biased?
Yeah, but I'm sure we could find someone who's better at analyzing stuff than I am. Or at least be funny while doing it. I'm just a grumpy a*****e.

Oh, and as for a judge for each category... That has to be the second most ridiculous thing I've heard all day. Even among the regulars, only a select few would probably volunteer for what we did. I can see why the other two judges quit; it got to be a downright pain in the a** to force myself to sit through page after page when some of the entries just weren't interesting to read. Some of them might have looked pretty, but I'll be damned if all of them were fun reads every step of the way.

There were, what, about a dozen categories? If a dozen people really wanna go through the sometimes agonizing process of reading hundreds of pages of some 14 webcomics (and I'd expect more entries next year) and analyzing every single page, then more power to them. Realistically speaking, though, I don't think we could keep a dozen people focused enough on getting their critiques done without having just as many delays (if not more than) we did this year.

By having just a few judges going over EVERYTHING, you have less to worry about when one of them quits than if you have a judge or two for unique to each category. It makes things complicated. After all, once a judge quits when they're the only one for that category, you're basically waiting to find a replacement. Maybe in a few more years that might work, but even if we are trying to iron out all the wrinkles for next year, I don't see that happening short of a miracle.

You make a good point, I hadn't thought of that. Ran and Klim would be great judges, but besides those two, it's going to be very hard to collect intellectual, patient and open-minded people who'll willingly go through something that is, without a doubt, tedious.

There are a few regulars who might make good judges, but as far as I know, they're either too lazy and/or are too busy, or may actually enter the second round. And I'm still undecided as to whether I'll be a judge next time. =| I had a baby dumped on me and can't exactly get rid of it.

Hm.
...You're a MOM now!? gonk *attempts to imagine Miser taking care of a child properly*

DOES NOT COMPUTE! burning_eyes
Sorry!!

Wasn't my intention to appear sneaking behind peoples backs with what I was saying, only that those who want to hear what I was saying could, without offending people who were not in the mood for hearing it.

Miser is quite right, essentially what I was saying is that yes you (Held) were unprofessional and I also said the lack of peoples fury with your attitude said something about the person you are which made me stop and think before I opened my mouth (thankfully, cause it wouldn't be the first time I made that mistake).

However since you realize this, and your intentions are very good, it would be pointless to go on about it any further, right? I have no doubt, with all the things discussed, that if you can get enough judges it will be excellent next year.

It would be super hypocritical of me to enter, but I'll be willing to help promote and hand over a couple of prizes for next year.
Whether it would be hypocritical or not shouldn't stop you from entering your comic in the contest.

Anyway, I wouldn't really call what you did sneaky, though I have no idea what makes you think people wouldn't snap at me if they really wanted to. I can be mean, but I'm terrible at insulting people when I'm angry.

Unbeatable Prophet

15,475 Points
  • Battle Hardened 150
  • Bookworm 100
  • Normal Everyday Human 50
Miser Bellatrix

Actually I haven't read the second chapter either.

siiiiigh. yaaa. you know. i don't think i'm going to bother on joining this contest if it's done again in a year. but i will take you up on further crit.

Miser Bellatrix

And also, Meg: ********** (hey you asked for it)

oh baby heart

>_>;

Lulz, poor Meg. ;D I'll get to critiquing the second chapter sometime next week, I think I'll have time then.
I'm sorry you guys felt under-appreciated during the contest. I didn't say much because I always felt like I was brown nosing whenever I tried to write anything, so I just kept radio silence for most of the contest.

it seems like you've been getting some flack for your reviews Held, so I'll just say that my take on them were that they were sort of the trial-by-fire reviews of the contest, like if my comic could survive it in decent shape then it's got to be halfway decent. it probably helps that I spend enough time around the forum to know what to expect from each judge's style and could get the most out of each stule of feedback.

If you guys think that having more hands on deck will help make future contests go more smoothly, I'll be willing to help out. I don't know if I've got enough technical knowledge to be comfortable judging, but I could lend a hand with logistics.
Miser Bellatrix
I don't recall why but Sam PM'd me her input.

The basic gist of it was:

-Work on your attitude Held. It's unprofessional. But you already figured that one out. x3

-We might want to consider getting more judges the next time. Specifically, we might want to get one or two for each category.

-We should encourage the entrants to counter our critiques. Granted this might make them hypocrites (what with signing up specifically to get input, I assume), but it's always nice to know where they think we screwed up.

-We really do have to stick to our deadlines. Life or no, it's extremely unprofessional to be late. Granted we are amateurs, but it's fun to pretend.

-Judging the first few pages is a must. Held, you provided a very good reason for this.

Erh, what else....

I completely agree with everything above.

Also I would like to have an option to argue our reviews next time. (<.< and yes vergessen held you are a jerk and you didn't need to say things soo harsh.) But even though the things said are sometime what you don't want to hear, you have to hear them. So as long as the arguements don't get out of hand I think there should be some debatng on the reviews.

I don't think the website design should be that important. truefully I have no idea how to spiffy up my website. I am still working on it though. I hope I don't mess up the code on my website when I start to get serious about this. I was looking at the forums at smackjeeves on how to spiffy up websites... and the confuse the hell out of me. @.@ Truefully. I think the point system for websites should be based on this:

0-I couldn't find your comic.
1-no problem finding you comic, but I think it's too plain...
2-Everything is spiffy and cool.

I think there should be a section on how much the artist has improved. That way even if the art work is HORRID in the being, but is wonderful in the end.... I don't know I think they should just get point on that.

Also I think just extra points at the end would be nice. Not like the other sections being judged, but lets just say the artist has a character page. They can get on extra point. Or the fact they attemped to color some part of their comic. Give an extra point. I know not all artist know how to do character pages, and etc. But for those web artist that put an extra attemped to do better should be rewarded. I think that's all the things I can come up with....
What do you think?
Quote:
I didn't say much because I always felt like I was brown nosing whenever I tried to write anything

LOL I know what you mean. Every time I've opened my proverbial mouth on this thread I'm putting my foot in it. I did exactly the same in the Shojo Beat forum.

Quote:
Also I would like to have an option to argue our reviews next time

To be honest, it makes you look much better of an artist if you can sit and take crits, however crazy, great or unfair and stay quiet. It's a really really hard thing to do...the temptation to argue, or explain yourself is very great.

I still feel the need to explain myself when points are made about my anatomy and so on, too. There was a lady on Art Wanted who wanted my help on a watercolour, whom I know is in her 40s and she did exactly the same thing to me. It won't kill your reputation but it might make people remember you a reason you'd rather not.

I know that's not an answer in itself but it's something to think about.

Quote:

I have no idea what makes you think people wouldn't snap at me if they really wanted to

I can't think of a short explanation for this...I have known a handful of people who get by in life using aggression to dominate people. Even on the internet, there are people who will avoid answering or getting in the way of someone who is like this. The complication of the internet means words can't always be interpreted in the right way, because humour is also dictated in pitch and everything.

One of my managers thrived on the silence of her staff with fear using aggression. People are strange creatures indeed sweatdrop

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff