Welcome to Gaia! ::

LostPriestess
If you insist we share our work...
After quite a bit of revising scripts and stressing over character designs, I've decided it's time to just start drawing the damn thing. It might be a little premature to share, but oh well, I need criticism at every step of the project. Here's the rough version of the cover and first page,
I know that I want the entire thing to be in color, but I'm still playing around with styles of doing to. Right now I'm leaning towards getting rid of the inked outlines and going for a fairly realistic 'painted' type of style.

Cover Page

Page One
I hate that forth panel, it's going away in the finished version. I do not yet know what will replace it, but it isn't staying.

On a related note, I'm looking for beta readers for the script. I'm not so much looking for corrections in spelling and grammar, as I'm looking for people to just give me opinions of what they think about the plot, characters, pacing, world building, character development, etc. Any takers?

Hee hee. But I quite liked that fourth panel......maybe it's the face that's bugging you though. It's perhaps off slightly, I don't know HOW, but..... I liked the pose. XD

Anyway, nice style! What's it going to be about? I'll read it if you have a way of giving me updates. I might forget. D:
mumm-rachmaninoff
I'm attempting to start some character and story concepts for a graphic novel.
I've been sketching away for two days straight now, I've scrapped most of my ideas.
But the gears are grinding away.
I'm taking some inspiration from Katsuhiro Otomo.

Oh man, scan some in! I wanna see. I've never read Akira, but I've heard of it. I didn't know he made it.... XD
008ken_ichijouji
LostPriestess
If you insist we share our work...
After quite a bit of revising scripts and stressing over character designs, I've decided it's time to just start drawing the damn thing. It might be a little premature to share, but oh well, I need criticism at every step of the project. Here's the rough version of the cover and first page,
I know that I want the entire thing to be in color, but I'm still playing around with styles of doing to. Right now I'm leaning towards getting rid of the inked outlines and going for a fairly realistic 'painted' type of style.

Cover Page

Page One
I hate that forth panel, it's going away in the finished version. I do not yet know what will replace it, but it isn't staying.

On a related note, I'm looking for beta readers for the script. I'm not so much looking for corrections in spelling and grammar, as I'm looking for people to just give me opinions of what they think about the plot, characters, pacing, world building, character development, etc. Any takers?

Hee hee. But I quite liked that fourth panel......maybe it's the face that's bugging you though. It's perhaps off slightly, I don't know HOW, but..... I liked the pose. XD

Anyway, nice style! What's it going to be about? I'll read it if you have a way of giving me updates. I might forget. D:

I think my problem is that the character is supposed to be a touch on the androgynous side. He is not supposed to look out right feminine, which he does in the panel.

The story is a political drama in a Sci-fi setting. The possibility of long term space flight and colonizing other planets has a realistic possibility; the story is about a group of politicians with different opinions on the matter trying to out scheme each other.

Sparkling Garbage

9,525 Points
  • Trash Can Supporter 50
  • Magical Girl 50
  • Beta Gaian 0
008ken_ichijouji
hiko27

Thanks c: but yeah, it's also about what you're best at and what you're most comfortable with. I mean, I can do digital but it just doesn't feel right unlike when I do it traditionally. And yeah, the tools you have can also get in the way but hey, that didn't stop me when I was in middle school. I made my own manga and God, was it embarrassing, considering I'm better at drawing now compared to then and I just messily stapled and taped folded A4 papers together. I still keep it around, but as a memory, and so I can laugh at myself xDD I think my first manga was about 6 years ago O.O

HAHAHA! Yeah, I do that too, look back at my old garbage. I still stink, but not as much as back then! XD

YES! I try and keep them. I dunno why. It just brings back memories wink I'd rather I keep them around than throw them out. It shows just how far you've come. And true. But sooner or later, if you keep at it, it'll grow tremendously. I mean, that's how mine is. If you put my drawings years ago and now, it's like I didn't even draw them xDDD
008ken_ichijouji
Kiel Uther
Some really cool comics here. smile It's awesome seeing people's ideas in execution. I've been working on a comic too the past week, just four pages now, but it's so hard to keep up the drive to keep on drawing.
And I have a perfectionist problem that makes it so hard to continue working on it since I'm not satisfied with the art. Not sure if I'm the only one with the problem sad So I have a newfound appreciation and I am immensely jealous of those of you with longtime running comics. It's always an awesome feeling when you complete a huge project.

Anyone know any good free hosting sites for webcomics? (though I feel like I'm getting ahead of myself)

It's very difficult isn't it? I just pumped out the last page of my intro, and it took me like.....2 years. XDDDDDD As for the perfectionist thing, truer words couldn't have been said. I do that every single time I draw, so no you aren't the only one! It's aggravating!

I've heard of smackjeeves. It seems okay, although I haven't looked into it much. I made an account months ago, but never added anything yet. I just post my stuff on deviantart.

Wow xd That must be a long intro then? xd xd

It is! It's my biggest enemy as an artist. I make a comic page then I go NO the art isn't good enough and neither is the style and I end up scrapping the whole thing. ):

I also have this awful ADD kind of thing that makes me want to suddenly start on a new project because it's shiny and sparkly.

Ohh, I'll look into that. I'm just happy with any good free hosting
AirN0va
Well. I've been working on some cruddy "life" comic for practice, it's not that great, it's fairly young and I haven't been able to work on it as often as I would like thanks to some unfortunate events but here you go (A little warning, this type of comic isn't really for everyone, sorry. <_< ). Link.

I love the attention to detail in your comic!

Romantic Bard

18,600 Points
  • Object of Affection 150
  • Loving Fortune Seeker 250
  • Demonic Associate 100
I'm actually working on a long doujinshi, a one shot doujinshi, a collaboration oneshot, my original comic, and still another oneshot all at once. (I try to work on each one a little bit every week.)

I personally try to update the long doujinshi and my original on a weekly basis. I sketch and ink on paper, then scan it in to tone digitally. I draw my speech bubbles by hand on paper, but I letter digitally as well. I tried doing digital inking, but I don't like the look of it as much so I switched over to traditional. (Except for color. Color, I prefer digital inking.)

I also storyboard on paper.

And smackjeeves is pretty nice. There's some customization available and makes it easier to find your comic.
Seijaku_Ishida
008ken_ichijouji
Do you have your stuff up online? Any examples? What's your stuff about?
My comic is here. It's about an evil overlord that's not very good at being evil.

lol! That looks so cute!!~~ I love bad guys <3 especially ones that fail, haha
Some of these comics are sooooooooooo awesome <3 3nodding I'm jealous!!!~~~ My stuffs nowhere near as neat and clean for the most part :O yet anyway wink
008ken_ichijouji
BarbedXSkullXCap
I'm one of the people who wants to make a comic ^_^ I have my own art style, a storyline, and a tablet....But I don't really know how to begin working on it ^^; I need to practice on backgrounds and anatomy...Also, I'm still practicing on digital art :O Does anyone have any tips on that btw?

Umm...I suppose I should just link to an example of my style:

http://barbedxskullxcap.deviantart.com/gallery/#/d3jon6a (This is more of a rough sketch than anything ^_^)

HAHA. I'm one who wants to as well. It's tough!

Definitely begin sketching out characters, unless you find that overwhelming. Perhaps a rough outline? Either way, both are practice and must be done! I wouldn't worry about backgrounds so much in the beginning (I still need help on those ever after years of trying haha). And really, if you look around, most cartoons/comics aren't close to anatomically correct, so don't let that completely hamper your progress. Create something you're happy with, not something that looks completely real as if a camera took the picture. ^^

That's my 2 cents anyway. Haha.

As for digital, I think it depends on the person. For me, I find it cumbersome (computer hurts my eyes after 30 minutes' time). For others, they love it! You gotta figure that out for yourself. I prefer drawing/inking traditionally, and doing tones digitally. I like coloring both traditionally and digitally. Any specific tips you want?

You definitely have a style going. I didn't look at the rest of your gallery yet, but definitely keep drawing!

Haha, thanks for that <3 I've gotten better at full-body shots, outfits, and backgrounds since I posted that, but I still have a ways to go :O

And I agree with you about traditional art; it's easier for me because I have the paper right in front of me, so I can judge size and perspective better, and I can also control my pencil-strokes better ^_^ But when I do digital art, the final product comes out better (especially if it's colored!) and it pretty much pops out at you! But drawing digitally is a challenge for me :O While there's less smudges, I'm just all around neater traditionally ^_^

Indulgent Reveler

Got the idea after a sick obbession with Disney's Tangled and Glen Keane's art.

Here's the introduction page.

It will be mostly strips and less of a solid storyline.

Anyways, any suggestions? I've been planning on getting a tablet to work with but so far I just ink my work by hand and then paint it on photoshop.

Thanks for checking it out anyways :]
Kiel Uther
008ken_ichijouji

It's very difficult isn't it? I just pumped out the last page of my intro, and it took me like.....2 years. XDDDDDD As for the perfectionist thing, truer words couldn't have been said. I do that every single time I draw, so no you aren't the only one! It's aggravating!

I've heard of smackjeeves. It seems okay, although I haven't looked into it much. I made an account months ago, but never added anything yet. I just post my stuff on deviantart.

Wow xd That must be a long intro then? xd xd

It is! It's my biggest enemy as an artist. I make a comic page then I go NO the art isn't good enough and neither is the style and I end up scrapping the whole thing. ):

I also have this awful ADD kind of thing that makes me want to suddenly start on a new project because it's shiny and sparkly.

Ohh, I'll look into that. I'm just happy with any good free hosting

NO! It's only 5 pages!!!! XDDDDDDD College happened. That's my excuse. neutral

And....that happened too. I'm too critical of myself, so I flip-flop my plans a lot. :[

AND I DO THAT. And it might be....getting into a new obsession, such as a new manga, a new anime, a new game...or a new song! And I'll want to start something else because I forget about it! I always go back to stuff but...gotta start new things or I'll forget. XD
Ringo-Ichigo
I'm actually working on a long doujinshi, a one shot doujinshi, a collaboration oneshot, my original comic, and still another oneshot all at once. (I try to work on each one a little bit every week.)

I personally try to update the long doujinshi and my original on a weekly basis. I sketch and ink on paper, then scan it in to tone digitally. I draw my speech bubbles by hand on paper, but I letter digitally as well. I tried doing digital inking, but I don't like the look of it as much so I switched over to traditional. (Except for color. Color, I prefer digital inking.)

I also storyboard on paper.

And smackjeeves is pretty nice. There's some customization available and makes it easier to find your comic.

Awesome! Yeah, I do that too (sketch/ink traditionally, digitally tone). Some dialogue bubbles I do by hand, spiky ones I do digitally.

Got any examples to show off?
BarbedXSkullXCap
Some of these comics are sooooooooooo awesome <3 3nodding I'm jealous!!!~~~ My stuffs nowhere near as neat and clean for the most part :O yet anyway wink

Haha, we all gotta start somewhere! But that's the ticket, "yet". smile

Have you posted your stuff already?
BarbedXSkullXCap

Haha, thanks for that <3 I've gotten better at full-body shots, outfits, and backgrounds since I posted that, but I still have a ways to go :O

And I agree with you about traditional art; it's easier for me because I have the paper right in front of me, so I can judge size and perspective better, and I can also control my pencil-strokes better ^_^ But when I do digital art, the final product comes out better (especially if it's colored!) and it pretty much pops out at you! But drawing digitally is a challenge for me :O While there's less smudges, I'm just all around neater traditionally ^_^

Awesome! Well, you have to start somewhere right? We can't all build Rome in a day. HAHA! Feel free to post stuff; maybe you can get some advice if you want!

YES. I agree with that 100%! Digital may look cleaner in some ways, depending on how detailed you wanna get, but traditional just has a really tangible emotion to it....I can't quite describe it. It's not as....mechanical? I dunno. XDDDDD

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff