This poll closed on September 23, 2004.
No longer accepting new votes.
< 1 2

Fashionable Conversationalist

14,150 Points
  • Full closet 200
  • Signature Look 250
  • Elocutionist 200
When he was in highschool Kenneth Gorlick had some really good chops! In the 1975 Reno jazz festival he played this really great solo on the clarinet. He was in one of the best highschool jazzbands in the country. Most of his former bandmates dont hate him they just resent him for selling out.
maybe he is sweat but I would give anything to play the sax as he does
sweet_magnola
Who would you all pick as your favorite jazz composer?

Being a sax player, I can't decide between John Coltrane or Charlie Parker.

In my world of jazz, smooth jazz just doesn't cut it.
Omg, dude Kenny G sucks in my opinion. I play sax, and I still dont know how the hell he can play with the side of his mouth.. thats just wrong. I hate him! HATTTTE!
-FoxyKerri-
Omg, dude Kenny G sucks in my opinion. I play sax, and I still dont know how the hell he can play with the side of his mouth.. thats just wrong. I hate him! HATTTTE!

I feel you, man.
I have a Kenny G Christmas cd, and its great
yea im no sax player, so i cannot critique him on his tecnique, but his music just kinda makes me wanna either fall asleep, or just pass out in pure boredom.
not to be offensive to anyone
but i just cannot listen to smooth jazz for too long before i get really bored.
The sad thing is that he claims he's a Jazz player...but he really isn't, which give a lot of people nowadays the wrong impression of what Jazz is. As a sax player, I will admit that Kenny G definately has the technical skills down, and I think if he started playing real Jazz, he could pull it off well. But the type of music he plays...it just really doesn't do anything for me. Way too simple, too sappy, and it's really just isn't Jazz.
I don't really know him, but somehow I have tons of his cds in my collection -- probably got them from my parents...some of his songs are quite good.
How can you say such things about a true virtuoso stressed . Most of the people I know dont even know why they dont like Kenny G. He does play jazz. Its smooth jazz. There is more emotion in it in my opinion. And about the mouth thing: do you hate Eddie Van Halen for holding his pick with his thumb and middle finger? If someones technique works better for them, you shouldn't shun them for it, its part of their style. I'm so sick of all the heat Kenny G gets just because he is one of the more well known jazz musicians and people think the people they like should get more recognition. Besides, his music is great doin' it music wink
XanBladesong
The sad thing is that he claims he's a Jazz player...but he really isn't, which give a lot of people nowadays the wrong impression of what Jazz is. As a sax player, I will admit that Kenny G definately has the technical skills down, and I think if he started playing real Jazz, he could pull it off well. But the type of music he plays...it just really doesn't do anything for me. Way too simple, too sappy, and it's really just isn't Jazz.

Then please tell us what real jazz is then. stare
In my opinion, Al Di Meola is the best jazz musician. He's also the best flamenco player I have ever heard.
Yeah...so I really haven't heard much by him, but I have heard that he pales in comparison to good conservatory/college students. I know that locally there are definantly people much better than him...

And I've heard better sax players in general too...

However I can't rag on him too much...in jazz band I have an entire piece arranged by him and I play lead alto...and it's pretty sappy but cool nonetheless. Very showy for tone.

He's not impressive to me though. Then again I'm really picky about music...
I like some of Kenny G's stuff, I feel it's not fair that some of you attack him just because you dislike him. It's cool to have your opinion but dont be unintelligent about it. xp

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff