Claude Debussy 0.5 50.0% [ 13 ]
Maurice Ravel 0.5 50.0% [ 13 ]
Total Votes:[ 26 ]

Blessed Seeker

7,700 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Tycoon 200
So which one do you like more than the other? Just in case you want to give a listen, here is a famous composition for each composer. Feel free to give your own reasons why you like either composer, or both!

Claude Debussy

Maurice Ravel

If you are interested, a famous pianist named Stephen Hough wrote on his blog about how contrasting both composers are from each other so please check it out. LINK
That's far too hard of a choice for me. Lately I've been more into Ravel:

But there are so many great pieces by Debussy as well.

Benevolent Gaian

8,200 Points
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Forum Sophomore 300
They're from 'the same' time/musical period, but I find them to be too entirely different to compare. Debussy's works are like many faceted gems sparkling in the light, Ravel's are like intricately crafted clockwork machines - handsome at a glance, and stunning when further examined.

I still prefer Faure to both of them - I feel like we would have gotten along well. Debussy was just a d**k. Ravel was also pretty cool.

Party Animal

From what I understand they didn't really like being compared? I think it just depends on whether you prefer whimsy or structure, loosely speaking. I prefer whimsy so I suppose I'm partial to Debussy.

Shy Friend

12,475 Points
  • Luminary Melee Champion 200
  • Fashionable Fancy Dress: Cute 100
  • Friend of the Goat 100
Personally I'm more of a Claude Debussy fan myself. I haven't heard enough Maurice Ravel to say. But Claude Debussy his music just sounds so fantastic. His pieces just speak with such a beautiful language. Yes Debussy was a d**k, much like Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart was a drunk and a womanizer. Many of my favorite composers are flawed in their own right.

Winter Wraith's Compadre

Blessed Genius

6,650 Points
  • Partygoer 500
  • Hygienic 200
  • Signature Look 250
I've never heard of Maurice Ravel until now, but I am listening to Jeux d'eau at the moment. Absolutely beautiful! I must find more of his work! I only know Debussy from 'Clair de Lune' and maybe a few other pieces. My younger sister can play it well, and I wish I could too =)

Dapper Vegetarian

I was tempted to vote for Debussy... I started to think about how I love how Debussy's pieces flow and sparkle and are absolutely beautiful.
But then Ravel's Bolero got stuck in my head again, so I went with him. eek

Blessed Seeker

7,700 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Tycoon 200
Hlessirah
I was tempted to vote for Debussy... I started to think about how I love how Debussy's pieces flow and sparkle and are absolutely beautiful.
But then Ravel's Bolero got stuck in my head again, so I went with him. eek

That one will definitely do that to people, especially with how many times it cycles through the melody. mrgreen

Benevolent Gaian

8,200 Points
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Forum Sophomore 300
Shoo Out The Clowns
From what I understand they didn't really like being compared? I think it just depends on whether you prefer whimsy or structure, loosely speaking. I prefer whimsy so I suppose I'm partial to Debussy.

They also hated being referred to as 'impressionist' composers.

Sparkly Lunatic

buuuuh, I can't choose.

but then I remembered Debussy's La cathédrale engloutie, which I was listening to earlier and went with him in the poll. I love that composition.

Tipsy Sweetheart

6,950 Points
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Wall Street 200
Everlasting Radiance
That's far too hard of a choice for me. Lately I've been more into Ravel:

But there are so many great pieces by Debussy as well.

I love both, BUT Ravel is just my heart
i'm on a ravel kick right now because i saw lise de la salle perform ravel's piano concerto. ravel is just so wonderful and calm and eerie but melodic and beautiful. also worth a listen is ravel's second violin sonata (that i'm trying to learn).

Timely Gawker

I can't decide. I love them both!

Profitable Capitalist

2,750 Points
  • Entrepreneur 150
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Wall Street 200
Both are wonderful, but Debussy is also my favorite composer to play! Deux Arabesque is like my favorite piece ever.

In a relationship with my viola

Greedy Capitalist

12,550 Points
  • Nerd 50
  • Champion 300
this is difficult.
on one hand, Ravel has textural complexity, but on another, Debussy has melodic beauty.
I can't ; ;

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces