Claude Debussy 0.5 50.0% [ 13 ]
Maurice Ravel 0.5 50.0% [ 13 ]
Total Votes:[ 26 ]

Blessed Seeker

7,050 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Tycoon 200
So which one do you like more than the other? Just in case you want to give a listen, here is a famous composition for each composer. Feel free to give your own reasons why you like either composer, or both!

Claude Debussy

Maurice Ravel

If you are interested, a famous pianist named Stephen Hough wrote on his blog about how contrasting both composers are from each other so please check it out. LINK
That's far too hard of a choice for me. Lately I've been more into Ravel:

But there are so many great pieces by Debussy as well.

Benevolent Gaian

8,200 Points
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Forum Sophomore 300
They're from 'the same' time/musical period, but I find them to be too entirely different to compare. Debussy's works are like many faceted gems sparkling in the light, Ravel's are like intricately crafted clockwork machines - handsome at a glance, and stunning when further examined.

I still prefer Faure to both of them - I feel like we would have gotten along well. Debussy was just a d**k. Ravel was also pretty cool.

Party Animal

From what I understand they didn't really like being compared? I think it just depends on whether you prefer whimsy or structure, loosely speaking. I prefer whimsy so I suppose I'm partial to Debussy.

Ruthless Wolf

9,950 Points
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Object of Affection 150
  • 50 Wins 150
Personally I'm more of a Claude Debussy fan myself. I haven't heard enough Maurice Ravel to say. But Claude Debussy his music just sounds so fantastic. His pieces just speak with such a beautiful language. Yes Debussy was a d**k, much like Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart was a drunk and a womanizer. Many of my favorite composers are flawed in their own right.

Blessed Genius

5,750 Points
  • Partygoer 500
  • Hygienic 200
  • Signature Look 250
I've never heard of Maurice Ravel until now, but I am listening to Jeux d'eau at the moment. Absolutely beautiful! I must find more of his work! I only know Debussy from 'Clair de Lune' and maybe a few other pieces. My younger sister can play it well, and I wish I could too =)

Dapper Vegetarian

I was tempted to vote for Debussy... I started to think about how I love how Debussy's pieces flow and sparkle and are absolutely beautiful.
But then Ravel's Bolero got stuck in my head again, so I went with him. eek

Blessed Seeker

7,050 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Tycoon 200
Hlessirah
I was tempted to vote for Debussy... I started to think about how I love how Debussy's pieces flow and sparkle and are absolutely beautiful.
But then Ravel's Bolero got stuck in my head again, so I went with him. eek

That one will definitely do that to people, especially with how many times it cycles through the melody. mrgreen

Benevolent Gaian

8,200 Points
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Forum Sophomore 300
Shoo Out The Clowns
From what I understand they didn't really like being compared? I think it just depends on whether you prefer whimsy or structure, loosely speaking. I prefer whimsy so I suppose I'm partial to Debussy.

They also hated being referred to as 'impressionist' composers.

Sparkly Lunatic

buuuuh, I can't choose.

but then I remembered Debussy's La cath├ędrale engloutie, which I was listening to earlier and went with him in the poll. I love that composition.

Adored Sweetheart

6,450 Points
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Wall Street 200
Everlasting Radiance
That's far too hard of a choice for me. Lately I've been more into Ravel:

But there are so many great pieces by Debussy as well.

I love both, BUT Ravel is just my heart
i'm on a ravel kick right now because i saw lise de la salle perform ravel's piano concerto. ravel is just so wonderful and calm and eerie but melodic and beautiful. also worth a listen is ravel's second violin sonata (that i'm trying to learn).

Wealthy Citizen

I can't decide. I love them both!

Profitable Capitalist

2,750 Points
  • Entrepreneur 150
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Wall Street 200
Both are wonderful, but Debussy is also my favorite composer to play! Deux Arabesque is like my favorite piece ever.

Desirable Ladykiller

this is difficult.
on one hand, Ravel has textural complexity, but on another, Debussy has melodic beauty.
I can't ; ;

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get Items
Get Gaia Cash
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games