Welcome to Gaia! ::

Inquisitive Bibliophile

diet otaku
Super Fightin Prototype
Stray Insanity
Oversensitives bitched long and hard about the derpy scandal. So it's officially ditsy doo. That is until they regroup and b***h about that.

If you are actually confident that it should be derpy hooves. Then ******** call her that. Let that be the name the "in" group uses.

Also I don't want to seem like that guy.. but why would "derpy" be offensive to the mentally impaired? What's going to happen? They stand up and are like. "Sir, I do find that offensive."

Why would being called an idiot be offensive? Why would being called a retard be offensive?

Think about that for a minute.

i'd like to see where "derp" officially came to be synonymous with "retard." if i'm making breakfast and i put the cereal in the fridge and the milk in the cupboard, i'm not calling myself a retard for doing so. "derp" = "whoops". being absentminded or clumsy is not the same as being cognitively impaired, and even then, sorry, but being cognitively impaired IS a bad thing. you're never gonna meet a mom who caresses her pregnant belly and says "i hope she has an IQ of 45," or a dad playing with his toddler and whispering "if only you could stay at this emotional and intellectual level as an adult." so sorry it hurts your feelings that you're disabled but bitching about it every time someone refers to a disability as a negative thing isn't gonna suddenly make everyone excited to be handicapped. this whole movement to try and pretend that someone who can barely chew their own food is just as good as a nobel-prize-winning chemist is one of the worst things to come out of the whole "politically correct" movement.

Wow. =|

Look, acceptance doesn't mean pretending everyone has the same level of function or every is a champion. But damn. Really?

First of all, I just want to put out there that in recent years, new technologies have allowed people who were at one thought to be cognitively impaired to being to speak out for themselves using things like iPads to communicate when they were previously entirely non-verbal. And we're learning that a lot of people (for instance, those that are severely autistic) who flail around, barely chew their food, bang their heads on the floor and groan constantly--have very high level thinking and communicate at the level of a normal person when they have access to the right tools. Stephen Hawking can't move, can't talk and probably "barely chew his food." And, you know, he's one of the smartest man on the freaking planet, pretty much.

The whole reason people find words like "derpy" offensive is because such words are often used by people who make snap judgements about a person's intellect based on their appearance or ability to function well physically, when such judgements are sometimes completely wrong. Acceptance doesn't mean pretending an autistic person caught in a perpetual cycle of self-stimming is as awesomely capable a runner as an Olympic sprinter or blinding oneself to the negative aspects of any disability. It's about acknowledging that even if they aren't, they still deserve a measure of respect and dignity. Because all people do.

And if someone thinks the word "derpy" being used for a wall-eyed, clumsy pony who is portrayed as having a bit less common sense and physical capability as the other ponies contributes to the lack of dignity people with physical disabilities are frequently given, does that really hurt you? Does it REALLY harm you in any way because the pony can't be called Derpy Hooves just because some people think it's cuter--while other people find it hurtful?

Honestly. -.- First world problems to the freaking extreme.

Mega Genius

14,100 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Nerd 50
  • Mark Twain 100
fatalbeauty
diet otaku

Quote:
you honestly think he was always Doctor Hooves?

i honestly think he doesn't have an official name so there's no reason NOT to call him dr. whooves.

Quote:
a lot of background ponies have Hasbro names

for the hundredth time, background ponies do not HAVE official names. they are GIVEN official hasbro names when they become NOT background ponies.

uh no, they name them for future possible toys....besides Derpy's eye thing was originally just an animator's joke, kinda like that blue pony they never fixed the glitch on in the ep when Rarity asks her neighbors to pull the carriage to the Gala, blue pony is just an opps but still...

and if you bother to look it up, almost every pony has a Hasbro name, regardless of how much air time or how popular they become..

Quote:
Even though background ponies typically have no official names

what is so hard to understand about this?

Quote:
hasbro made the decision not to give a cartoon pony a mean name in a show meant for small girls

the question is whether "derpy" is a mean name, and if "ditzy doo" isn't mean then i don't think "derpy" is either, as they mean the same thing.

Demonic Bookworm

30,400 Points
  • Consumer 100
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Citizen 200
diet otaku
[q
i honestly think he doesn't have an official name so there's no reason NOT to call him dr. whooves.

Copyright, don't want to rile BBC

Also DIet, you are flaking, ignoring reason and acting like a child throwing a tantrum, calm your own 'oversensitive tits'.

Sexy Shapeshifter

diet otaku
fatalbeauty
I bet you think Lyra is Heartstrings real name too?

it would seem her name IS lyra.
I'm well aware it was named Lyra for the item, they gave in on that fan name, her original name is Heartstrings....Bon Bon is Sweetie Drops, Carrottop is Golden Harvest, Colgate is Minuette...oh and all the Wonderbolts have names too!
I believe the reason why they changed the name from "Derpy" is because "Herp Derp" and "Derp" are offensive because people would use it to mock those who they feel are mentally retarded. They'll even slam their hand into their chest and attempt to look mentally retarded for added effect of the mocking. It's a popular mocking among teenagers in Middle School/Early High School.

Precious Nerd

Hello diet otaku.

The official name we were given by Hasbro for this pony in question is in fact Ditzy Doo as is Time Turner.

Sexy Shapeshifter

diet otaku

what is so hard to understand about this?
oh because it's wrong, you can say something over and over but seriously you're wrong about this!

Mega Genius

14,100 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Nerd 50
  • Mark Twain 100
fatalbeauty
diet otaku
fatalbeauty

I'm well aware it was named Lyra for the item, they gave in on that fan name, her original name is Heartstrings....Bon Bon is Sweetie Drops, Carrottop is Golden Harvest, Colgate is Minuette...oh and all the Wonderbolts have names too!

yeah, go ahead, keep pulling all of those names totally out of your a** in complete defiance of reality and facts.

Sir Schmerz's Husband

Thieving Sex Symbol

35,450 Points
  • Alchemy Level 10 100
  • Conventioneer 300
  • Happy 13th, Gaia Online! 50
...As I always understood it, "Derpy Hooves" was a nickname given to her by the fandom, not her official name. sweatdrop

Vector Theta's Husbando

Mega Man-Lover

diet otaku
fatalbeauty
diet otaku
fatalbeauty

yeah, go ahead, keep pulling all of those names totally out of your a** in complete defiance of reality and facts.

Yet you keep ignoring the reality of "Derpy Hooves" official name being Ditzy Doo, and the fact that people found the original name offensive.

Feline Wildcat

diet otaku
fatalbeauty
diet otaku
fatalbeauty

since you blocked me, I'm looking those up out a book released called The Elements Harmony, an official guidebook....again, look up the names, you are wrong and blocking me doesn't make you look any better....

Inquisitive Bibliophile

milkbun
Hello diet otaku.

The official name we were given by Hasbro for this pony in question is in fact Ditzy Doo as is Time Turner.

Thank you for clarifying this. Not only does it clear up that this wasn't a misunderstanding on Gaia's part but it also clarifies that Hasbro does, indeed, consider her official name to be Ditzy Doo. <3<3

Trash Vampire

Given that this is a sponsorship, I wouldn't be surprised if the company paying Gaia to put these item up asked for that name to be used. I doubt Gaia is the one to be complaining to for this.

edit: oh, i'm late
called it :u

Mega Genius

14,100 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Nerd 50
  • Mark Twain 100
Super Fightin Prototype
diet otaku
fatalbeauty
diet otaku
fatalbeauty

Yet you keep ignoring the reality of "Derpy Hooves" official name being Ditzy Doo, and the fact that people found the original name offensive.

here's a helpful timeline:
-gaia makes item with derpy labeled "ditzy doo"
-i say "hey, that's not her name, it's derpy"
-i am quickly informed that a small mob of hypersensitive twats complained and hasbro changed the name to "ditzy doo"
-the topic of this thread turned to how wrong and stupid that was because derpy isn't offensive and i don't care if YOU are offended by it, being offended by the name "derpy" is like being offended by the color brown.

@selfdestruct - link me to the guidebook on hasbro's store and i'll believe it's official. also GTFO of my thread.

Apocalyptic Spotter

18,325 Points
  • Millionaire 200
  • Partygoer 500
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
diet otaku
Super Fightin Prototype
diet otaku
fatalbeauty
diet otaku
fatalbeauty

here's a helpful timeline:
-gaia makes item with derpy labeled "ditzy doo"
-i say "hey, that's not her name, it's derpy"
-i am quickly informed that a small mob of hypersensitive twats complained and hasbro changed the name to "ditzy doo"
-the topic of this thread turned to how wrong and stupid that was because derpy isn't offensive and i don't care if YOU are offended by it, being offended by the name "derpy" is like being offended by the color brown.

@selfdestruct - link me to the guidebook on hasbro's store and i'll believe it's official. also GTFO of my thread.

Holy s**t, dude. You were wrong. It's not the end of the world. You just gained new knowledge of a subject you feel passionately about. Instead of freaking out, why not just accept that yeah, you were wrong, you now know that as a fact, and move on?

Also, here's the link since you seem to want other people to search for it:

Here you go.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas