iLovePockeex3
Yes, yes I'm aliveeee!

But I'm busy with some school work ;______;

Dreamjedi
*pokes head in*

Are you alive?

Pockee!!!

Ugh. School work. Ick.

I just ordered epicness to be shipped to my house this week!

I understand.

Shadow of Mordor, Spirit's Chosen, and Deception's Princess

Sparkling Shoujo

Woahhh, I hope you have a ton of fun with those!!
I've heard about it from some friends, but I don't know much about it

Dreamjedi
iLovePockeex3
emotion_hug

I know....I'm so behind on things though D:
I've been having a hard time concentrating these days >_____>

What is it? o:

Dreamjedi
iLovePockeex3
Yes, yes I'm aliveeee!

But I'm busy with some school work ;______;

Dreamjedi
*pokes head in*

Are you alive?

Pockee!!!

Ugh. School work. Ick.

I just ordered epicness to be shipped to my house this week!

I understand.

Shadow of Mordor, Spirit's Chosen, and Deception's Princess

Dangerous Nerd

21,750 Points
  • Gaian 50
  • Member 100
  • Forum Regular 100
iLovePockeex3

I'll assume you're talking about Shadow of Mordor. Mostly because, I have yet to meet a person I can rattle off Friesner's titles to and have them know what I'm talking about.

Yes. I plan on having fun with Mordor. One of my friends (usually a Lego or Halo player) said he kept ending up in 30 to 1 battles....I'm hoping my familiarity with ignoring the plot line of open world games and wandering all over Skyrim and Cyrodil without ever completing the main quest will come in handy.

Sparkling Shoujo

Haha, yep--the game!
LOL, I bet you'll be great at it emotion_kirakira

What are the books about? Are the two related/a series?

Dreamjedi
iLovePockeex3

I'll assume you're talking about Shadow of Mordor. Mostly because, I have yet to meet a person I can rattle off Friesner's titles to and have them know what I'm talking about.

Yes. I plan on having fun with Mordor. One of my friends (usually a Lego or Halo player) said he kept ending up in 30 to 1 battles....I'm hoping my familiarity with ignoring the plot line of open world games and wandering all over Skyrim and Cyrodil without ever completing the main quest will come in handy.

Dangerous Nerd

21,750 Points
  • Gaian 50
  • Member 100
  • Forum Regular 100
iLovePockeex3

Actually...no. Friesner writes dichotomies. The first one has "princess" in the title, (Nobody's Princess, Sphinx's Princess, Spirit's Princess, Deception's Princess) and the second is usually related to the girls place in her myth (Helen of Troy=Nobody's Prize, Nefertiti=Sphinx's Queen, Himiko of Japan=Spirit's Chosen). I started reading them as an undergrad and even did a report on Spirit's Princess since it had just come out.

In some ways they are cliche girl-power books, but at the same time there is enough historical fiction and quirky personality to keep someone engaged. I love myths, the fact that these myths are rooted in history is just bonus. To be honest, I had just finished up Percy Jackson and the Olympians (I still haven't finished Heroes of Olympus yet) and was looking for something along the same lines. I didn't think I'd like Nobody's Princess since as a rule, I don't like Helen of Troy...seriously that woman caused more problems than she was worth (not that Paris is off the hook). However, Helen was the prissy princess she's usually portrayed as. She was an unwed, unengaged teen. She was quirky and wanted to be a hero. She didn't like Jason. Were there cliche's I didn't like? Sure, but overall I liked them.

Also, the only two Princess Diaries (not the Meg Cabot ones) I owed were for Mary Queen of Scots and Cleopatra the VII. And considering both of those girls have equally cool myths and facts means I was willing to look at Friesner's books (the two about Nefertiti were already out by the time I started looking).

Sparkling Shoujo

Oh wow, that actually sounds really interesting! I love that
combination of girl-power and myths emotion_kirakira I might check it out if my library carries it!

I'm taking a class on fairy tales this semester, so anything along the lines of legends/myths
peaks my curiosity o: Are those titles the only ones out right now? Or are there more?
I have to make a list rofl

Dreamjedi
iLovePockeex3

Actually...no. Friesner writes dichotomies. The first one has "princess" in the title, (Nobody's Princess, Sphinx's Princess, Spirit's Princess, Deception's Princess) and the second is usually related to the girls place in her myth (Helen of Troy=Nobody's Prize, Nefertiti=Sphinx's Queen, Himiko of Japan=Spirit's Chosen). I started reading them as an undergrad and even did a report on Spirit's Princess since it had just come out.

In some ways they are cliche girl-power books, but at the same time there is enough historical fiction and quirky personality to keep someone engaged. I love myths, the fact that these myths are rooted in history is just bonus. To be honest, I had just finished up Percy Jackson and the Olympians (I still haven't finished Heroes of Olympus yet) and was looking for something along the same lines. I didn't think I'd like Nobody's Princess since as a rule, I don't like Helen of Troy...seriously that woman caused more problems than she was worth (not that Paris is off the hook). However, Helen was the prissy princess she's usually portrayed as. She was an unwed, unengaged teen. She was quirky and wanted to be a hero. She didn't like Jason. Were there cliche's I didn't like? Sure, but overall I liked them.

Also, the only two Princess Diaries (not the Meg Cabot ones) I owed were for Mary Queen of Scots and Cleopatra the VII. And considering both of those girls have equally cool myths and facts means I was willing to look at Friesner's books (the two about Nefertiti were already out by the time I started looking).

Sparkly Noob

I've been negleting too T-T
I seem to have so much things i need to do, but that i didn't do...
:/
limited gaia time though in result of these...
interview wednesday... really hope ill get that job crying

Dangerous Nerd

21,750 Points
  • Gaian 50
  • Member 100
  • Forum Regular 100
iLovePockeex3
combination of girl-power and myths emotion_kirakira I might check it out if my library carries it!

I'm taking a class on fairy tales this semester, so anything along the lines of legends/myths
peaks my curiosity o: Are those titles the only ones out right now? Or are there more?

Dreamjedi
iLovePockeex3

You're taking a class on fairy tales? I'm jealous!!

Those are the only titles so far by that author. I'd also recommend Goddess of Yesterday by Caroline Cooney (Trojan war), Beauty by Robin McKinley (Beauty and the Beast), Fortune's Fool by Mercedes Lackey (several different myths), and Jane Yolen's Young Merlin Trilogy (Passager, Hobby, Merlin). Obviously the Merlin one isn't female centric and Fortune's Fool is an even split, but the others all have female main characters. I really like Beauty, especially considering it was written long before rewriting fairy tales was a thing.

Sparkling Shoujo

Yes I am! It's pretty interesting so far 3nodding

Oh wow, there's so many! I'll write those down as well <3
I actually read some of the former versions of Beauty and the Beast
for class today, and I grew more interested in that tale!

Dreamjedi
iLovePockeex3

Dreamjedi
iLovePockeex3

You're taking a class on fairy tales? I'm jealous!!

Those are the only titles so far by that author. I'd also recommend Goddess of Yesterday by Caroline Cooney (Trojan war), Beauty by Robin McKinley (Beauty and the Beast), Fortune's Fool by Mercedes Lackey (several different myths), and Jane Yolen's Young Merlin Trilogy (Passager, Hobby, Merlin). Obviously the Merlin one isn't female centric and Fortune's Fool is an even split, but the others all have female main characters. I really like Beauty, especially considering it was written long before rewriting fairy tales was a thing.

Dangerous Nerd

21,750 Points
  • Gaian 50
  • Member 100
  • Forum Regular 100
iLovePockeex3

So what fairy tales have you covered other than Beauty and the Beast? Are you doing them by region? (For the purpose of the class) are you considering Hans Christian Anderson's stories fairy tales?

Sparkling Shoujo

/Is dead
Valentine's makes me exhausted (since I work in a flower shop)

So far, we've only done Cinderella and Little Mermaid! We're covering all
sorts of different tales, including Hans Christian Anderson's. We're allowed
to look into different tales that interest us for assignments, so it's not
specifically geared towards a single region!

Dreamjedi
iLovePockeex3

So what fairy tales have you covered other than Beauty and the Beast? Are you doing them by region? (For the purpose of the class) are you considering Hans Christian Anderson's stories fairy tales?

Sparkling Shoujo

OMG, FML. KOTORI HAIRSTYLES. NEED. NOW.

Keeping this here so I remember to update my post later
User ImageUser ImageUser ImageUser ImageUser ImageUser Image

Dangerous Nerd

21,750 Points
  • Gaian 50
  • Member 100
  • Forum Regular 100
iLovePock
2djajtrq:0="iLovePockeex3]

The Weaving Maid from China is an interesting myth/fairytail.

Sparkling Shoujo

Hi there emotion_hug

I actually haven't heard of that before! I'm looking for more East Asian legends/myths
to research since I'm trying to grasp tales from different areas of the world! We have
a group final project, and we need to choose a topic xD

Dreamjedi
iLovePock
2djajtrq:5="iLovePockeex3]

Dangerous Nerd

21,750 Points
  • Gaian 50
  • Member 100
  • Forum Regular 100
iLovePockeex3
Hi there emotion_hug

I actually haven't heard of that before! I'm looking for more East Asian legends/myths
to research since I'm trying to grasp tales from different areas of the world! We have
a group final project, and we need to choose a topic xD

Dreamjedi
iLovePock
2djajtrq:7="iLovePockeex3]

Hi! heart

I have a book of Chinese fairytales and folktales translated by Moss Roberts. I also have a book of folktales from India. Once upon a time...I was trying to find all the goblin stories I could from around the world so I bought a ton of books...then school happened. crying

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff