Welcome to Gaia! ::

3,150 Points
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Gaian 50
  • Person of Interest 200
I use Windows 7 and Windows 8 Developers Preview. Windows 7 mainly but sometimes at random Windows 8 preview.
Anyone here given Unity Linux a try. An excellent Mandriva best distribution that is focused on being remasterable, as opposed to creating "official" desktops, so each desktop that is created gets a lot of individual love. My favorite remaster is HUMANity. It is currently in the process of releasing a new iso, so if you want to try it I suggest a development release from the forums because they switched back to Mandriva's Cooker repository so old isos are not currently upgradeable.

EDIT: Obviously I use linux. Three words. Fast, Stable, and, most importantly, FREEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE.
I'd just like to interject for a moment. What everone is referring to as Linux, is in fact, GNU/Linux, or as I've recently taken to calling it, GNU plus Linux. Linux is not an operating system unto itself, but rather another free component of a fully functioning GNU system made useful by the GNU corelibs, shell utilities and vital system components comprising a full OS as defined by POSIX.

Many computer users run a modified version of the GNU system every day, without realizing it. Through a peculiar turn of events, the version of GNU which is widely used today is often called Linux, and many of its users are not aware that it is basically the GNU system, developed by the GNU Project.

There really is a Linux, and these people are using it, but it is just a part of the system they use. Linux is the kernel: the program in the system that allocates the machine's resources to the other programs that you run. The kernel is an essential part of an operating system, but useless by itself; it can only function in the context of a complete operating system. Linux is normally used in combination with the GNU operating system: the whole system is basically GNU with Linux added, or GNU/Linux. All the so-called Linux distributions are really distributions of GNU/Linux.
In the event of a nuclear holocaust, the only things left will be roaches and Debian....

I don't have a solid opinion on which desktop OS is the best. I run windows 7 for work/play. But most servers at my work and my server at home all run Debian 6 ATM.
Neiu
I'd just like to interject for a moment. What everone is referring to as Linux, is in fact, GNU/Linux, or as I've recently taken to calling it, GNU plus Linux. Linux is not an operating system unto itself, but rather another free component of a fully functioning GNU system made useful by the GNU corelibs, shell utilities and vital system components comprising a full OS as defined by POSIX.

Many computer users run a modified version of the GNU system every day, without realizing it. Through a peculiar turn of events, the version of GNU which is widely used today is often called Linux, and many of its users are not aware that it is basically the GNU system, developed by the GNU Project.

There really is a Linux, and these people are using it, but it is just a part of the system they use. Linux is the kernel: the program in the system that allocates the machine's resources to the other programs that you run. The kernel is an essential part of an operating system, but useless by itself; it can only function in the context of a complete operating system. Linux is normally used in combination with the GNU operating system: the whole system is basically GNU with Linux added, or GNU/Linux. All the so-called Linux distributions are really distributions of GNU/Linux.

I'm pretty sure everyone here knows that, but why specify? Everyone knows what you mean when you say Linux.
It's like saying "my dog" instead of "my English Bull Dog".
That's a bad analogy, but you get the picture.
Used windows XP for half of my life, bought a Mac and tried out OS X Snow Leopard + Lion for a year, and more recently built a PC with Windows 7 Home Premium and have loved it ever since.

I felt Microsoft did really well with the start menu + task bar in Windows 7 compared to what Apple is doing with the launchpad + mission control crap in OS X.
I use Mac OS X, Snowleopard. I also use Lion on our multimedia computer.

I prefer both version of Mac OS X, but I also like Windows XP. I still like XP more than Vista or 7, and Windows 8 looks horrific.

And I've been using Snow Leopard for a year now. Also like iOS, but not sure if that counts in this topic xD
Windows 7 primarily at home because IMO it's the most robust WIndows OS so far and it just works. I've dabbled in Ubuntu Linux as well and I did like the interface and OS> But I couldn't view picture thumbnails over a network and Photoshop was really buggy on it. Since I do graphics that wasn't going to work.

At the office I use XP.

8,950 Points
  • Gaian 50
  • Member 100
  • Contributor 150
-----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----
Hash: SHA1

Neiu

Many (if not most) of the Linux systems I use and develop for on a daily basis are actually using Busybox rather than GNU. So where exactly does that put your rant?

Also, Stallmanism won't get you very far these days. He's really becoming more of an embarrassment than an advocate for the Free Software movement.

-----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE-----
Version: GnuPG v2.0.17 (GNU/Linux)

iQEcBAEBAgAGBQJPxFlwAAoJEMco5sYyM+0w8VkIAO18VtvNRrSLAJGdLtOm7PVV
3SKUl+B1tbIwELiZA3QCZduDpzgPuHs6bGFVFv+buJJXwEUsFMGfqCke8jY3gPE2
fxn6Nbmcm0U8Nm+c1vVl/5pbOyouke1NIuEovzPwxmmiumc6Ox60mdUvW+xICTKk
xV4YjpDXxPqE1o7vmSaAqJ8B3tRRzDIRVbqbP9NXzXaZAH/pbcLVqSl3e0pXRU+P
UpkFTIvPbX3rzxYKSyJfGoJsuOIoKjQH+95kxcSmUjxTZ5YiMA0J+YWP2q1fmTo8
WRioqu6Pr6xZ/oEJZimye+zYFtzxHdmqXKUHE0ulVc1XI0k4u6PUcdaiyZspcnY=
=Uhis
-----END PGP SIGNATURE-----

Benevolent Borg

14,400 Points
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Millionaire 200
  • Invisibility 100
I would have dual-boot of windows 7 & ubuntu but for whatever reason ubuntu downloaded over windows so now i just have ubuntu till i can figure out how to get windows back, fortunately i'm not a hardcore gamer so it's not much of a problem.

Phantom

I tend to use Windows 7, XP, and sometimes 2000 (Vista sucks). As for Linux, Unix, and the like, I typically use Ubuntu, and usually poke around other variants to see if they would work for running through a book I use a lot.

Now, when can I kill OSX? That sh-------- is nothing more than their screwed-up Unix that hasn't been updated since they scrapped it together and has simply been given a ridiculous-looking GUI that barely works the 1% of the time you don't need it to be working perfectly.

Witty Regular

My (mom's) laptop:
Dualbooting Win7 and Ubuntu 10.04.4 LTS - 2years

My server PC:
Xubuntu 12.04 - 3months (I got the server PC recently)

A PC I am playing around with:
Arch Linux - 5months

I really like Arch (custom-build your OS! eek ), although sometimes it gives me problems I don't know solutions to unless I ask a few people in the forums. neutral

Witty Regular

-WhiteAlbum-
It's awesome to see other Ubuntu users on this forum. I love this operating system with all my heart (even though my girlfriend will always be first... xD). Here are some great things I love about it:

- New Unity interface in Ubuntu 11.04
- Integrated support with Google Calendar
- Integrated support for MSN, AIM, GTalk, Facebook, and Yahoo.
- Integrated Email
- Integrated Facebook support
- Integrated Pandora support via Pithos (best Pandora client for Ubuntu IMO)
- Free office tools
- No antivirus/anti-spyware tools needed
- CompizWiz effects (3D rotating desktop cube, wiggly windows, menu transparency, etc.)
- Great hardware support.
- INSANELY fast boot times!
- Integrated surround sound support and testing features.
- Integrated youtube support in MPlayer

As you can see, Ubuntu has amazing integration with a variety of online services, making it a very productive and much more comfortable operating system to use than Windows or Mac. :3

One thing I hate about the new Gnome is that it really degraded down to what makes me have to go to the menu, TYPE the damn program in, and use it (I would put it on the sidebar, but the thing is, my sidebar would then be cluttered with hundreds of programs I frequently use.)
And, I hate it how there is no toolbar except when you give the window the focus (I'll google later on how to disable that), the toolbar shows up on the top, like a Mac. That is the biggest thing that irritates me.
So, because of that, I switched to Xfce and I am living a moderately happy life. emotion_c8

Profitable Prophet

I use windows 7 for all my gaming, web surfing, and most stuff. And I run a VM of Debian for all my nerd stuff.
my mid 2012 MBP retina runs on OSX mountain lion.. solid OS perfect for what I use it for - which is music production and school work.

my workstation PC runs on win7 home premium OEM - the programs i need are for .. well, windows 7.

my gaming/whatever PC runs on win7 home premium OEM and moonOS (enlightenment) dual booted. moonOS is a perfect little ubuntu-based distro that is very light and looks great. windows 7 speaks for itself

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff