Welcome to Gaia! ::

Sparkly Prophet

5,350 Points
  • Grunny Grabber 50
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • V-Day 2011 Event 100
Oh no, Rusty. ;O; Poor baby. I hope the vet will be able to do something for him. D= How old is Rusty now?

Dapper Nerd

6,550 Points
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Nerd 50
  • Conventioneer 300
We don't really know exactly how old he is. We adopted him as an adult in July 2005, they estimated him as being around 3 then...but it's really anyone's guess with an adult cat. If he was three when we got him, he'd be at least 11 now. If I had to guess his age I'd say he's probably closer to 15, so he was likely older than 3 when we got him. But the health problems make it a little harder to tell, not sure if they're from age or bad genetics? His teeth are all in good shape, aside from one that's always been chipped.

My poor Sugar Boo. ;O; I hope the vet can help him out. He's still pretty lively, but he is just holding no weight. We took him for a couple walks in the backyard today, which he was really excited about. He tried to eat grass, his stomach might be bothering him. He had no interest at all in food today. My poor old cat, hang in there Rusty!

Dapper Nerd

6,550 Points
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Nerd 50
  • Conventioneer 300
My mom and sister took Rusty to the vet while I was at work.

We are going to put him down on Monday.

They said the vet could tell his liver and kidneys were shutting down without even needing blood work, so they didn't bother to take blood because it'd just stress him out and hurt him more. He isn't suffering right now, but he is dying. There is no coming back from it. He's still pretty lively today, happy, walking around, purring, napping in sunbeams. It's making the decision so much harder. With Alex, he was undoubtedly dying. You could see that Alex was dying. But Rusty is pretty normal-seeming. He isn't suffering, and it's harder to see that he is dying. It's made the decision a lot more difficult.

I just thought we'd have more time together.

Sparkly Prophet

5,350 Points
  • Grunny Grabber 50
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • V-Day 2011 Event 100
Oh no. D= Poor Rusty Buttons. ;O; I'm so sorry to hear that.

I got suddenly very sick yesterday after class. >o> I had a campus tour of Lewis University today and I barely made it. I also went to my other class in the morning and I honestly thought I wouldn't be able to drive home because I felt like I was going to throw up. Today has been such a shitty terrible day for everyone. ;O;

Dapper Nerd

6,550 Points
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Nerd 50
  • Conventioneer 300
We're totally devastated. My sister said that even the vet was crying when she told them the news. At least he is comfortable. He's sleeping on a blanket downstairs right now. He looks content and peaceful.

The next few days are going to be a total nightmare.

Dapper Nerd

6,550 Points
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Nerd 50
  • Conventioneer 300
I was going to ride Jeze today for the first time in a long time, since her back has been feeling better. I figured with everything going on, it's be nice to relax and enjoy her for a while, especially since my last lesson no-showed and I had more time than I thought I would. I take her out on the cross ties and I start brushing her. Then I freak the ******** out when I see her hind legs are cut up. It was mostly superficial stuff, but the right hand had one that looked a little concerning.

So I proceeded to freak the ******** out. I have so much going on right now, I don't need to worry about Jeze too!
User Image
User Image

The left hind only has those nicks visible on her white sock, not concerned about those. But the right's got a few bigger cuts, one of which is shaped like a lightning bolt. There's one big nick that I'm worried about. So I cold hosed it for like 30 minutes and then cleaned it with betadine surgical scrub. I decided to wrap it since it was a little swollen, and the wrap would help with that and give her some support.

So I get everything I need and slather some furacin (medicine) on there and start wrapping. First a layer of paper towels, then some plastic wrap to encourage sweating...and as I'm getting the pillow part of the wrap ready (which absorbs some of the pressure and diffuses it over the length of the wrap for comfort & tendon support) a loose paper towel blows by and Jeze loses it, busting the cross ties and breaking free. She pulls one of the ties completely off the wall, and the metal snap nails me in the arm. Ow. I catch her and start over, this time making sure nothing loose blows by and startles her. I get the wrap on...and she freaks out. It totally slipped my mind that she's not used to having anything on her hind legs. I should have expected this based on past reactions.

User Image

Last leg injury that required wrapping was on a front leg, which she was a champ for. But apparently she thinks anything wrapped on her hind legs is out to murder her. So she flipped out and jumped forward, kicked the leg in the air a bunch of times, lost her balance and ended up pushing into one of the walls. Great.

So the wrap slips and I figure I will need to take it off. So I lead her around a little and eventually she settles down and accepts that the leg wrap maybe isn't fatal. I had to grab and hold her leg for a while to get her to stop trying to kick it off. Thankfully she knows not to kick ME. Eventually I take it off and figure that if I can re-wrap it tighter she should be fine since she seems to have accepted her fate.

I re-gather my supplies and move her outside, where I can walk her around better and hopefully get her used to the wrap. I re-wrap the leg, this time it was like the best most perfectly applied leg-wrap I've ever accomplished.

And in mere seconds she flipped out and destroyed it. Kicking out violently, hopping, bolting, generally panicking again. She kicked so furiously that the wrap started to slide down out of place.

I accept that wrapping the leg is a lost cause, and I take the wrap off. Wrapping it is obviously not an option, so I'm going to have to stick to cold-hosing, cleaning, and re-applying medicine while giving her bute for pain and swelling.

I give up and put Jeze in her stall and start bawling. This is the last thing I needed right now. I'm a total mess to begin with, stressed and exhausted on every level. I just can't deal with this.

So I sit down to text Lauren and ask for her help later with this, because I can not handle doing anything more right now. Then my mom texts me and asks if I can go to the vet with her to get Rusty more fluids. And then my phone freezes up and won't do anything at all for 10 minutes. Because I guess the universe wants to toss more s**t my way this week.

Anyway, Lauren and I are going out tomorrow. If Jeze is any worse, I get to look forward to another expensive emergency vet bill.

My mom and sister took Rusty to get more fluids while I was doing that.
Now I'm home, and they just got back. And now they're telling me that they want to postpone putting Rusty down, since with the fluid injections he's been feeling better. He still walks around and goes up steps and stuff, and seems pretty happy still. But I am still leaning towards putting him down since he's still dying. But I'm on my own in the opinion, now they're saying they don't think he's ready and that we should "play it day by day" since he has more time.

His kidneys and liver aren't functioning properly. They won't come back. He's not going to recover, there's no miracle that will save him. He seems content and happy now because he's been injected with fluids. He has little interest in eating or drinking, he might nibble here and there, but it's not enough to stay alive. I understand that they're not ready to let go, but none of us will EVER be ready to let go of him. I don't think it's fair to keep him (barely) alive for much longer. Sure, he's feeling better but it's a LIE. It's the fluids and anti-nausea medicine tricking us into seeing him as feeling better than he does. It's not a long-term fix. That's not even a short-term fix, it's a band aid that makes him feel better but doesn't help him. It'll buy him maybe a few days, but that's all. He's still going to die.

And now I'm worried that they're going to wait until he's really suffering to put him down, and I don't want him to suffer. I'd rather put him down a day or two too soon than wait and see him struggle. His body is dying around him. I know their hearts are in the right place, but I think we should keep the appointment on Monday. It's horrible and sad for US, but it's the kindest thing we can do for him. I think they're hoping he will pass on his own, to spare them having to be the one to make the decision. All I know is that if he goes downhill any more, I will cat-nap him and take him to be euthanized myself before I will let him suffer. I love him too much.

Sparkly Prophet

5,350 Points
  • Grunny Grabber 50
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • V-Day 2011 Event 100
Oh god, how terrible. D= Hopefully Jeze's legs will heal fine without the wraps. >o> It's good that you noticed it now, at least, instead of maybe not noticing until it had gotten a lot worse. I'm sure medicine and stuff even without the wraps is still a lot better than not doing anything.

Poor Rusty. D= That's such a hard situation, I can't even imagine what I would do. I see that your mom and sister are trying to help, but at the same time it's like... how can you want to wait until he's really suffering badly if you have the chance to stop that from happening? It's all such a horrible situation to be in. ;O; I hope your mom and sister will do whatever is in the best interest for Rusty. Is your mom the legal owner or whatever? Like is it pretty much legally her decision?

I can't even imagine how hard it must be for you and your family right now. ;O; I don't even know what to say, but I guess there's not really anything that can make this better. I just hope that Rusty gets to live his last few days being able to walk around and feel relatively ok. It's good that the vet was able to at least do that.

Dapper Nerd

6,550 Points
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Nerd 50
  • Conventioneer 300
Yeah, I'm sure it should heal up pretty much fine. But it's going to need daily attention for a while. What with all that's going on with Rusty, I was hoping to take a few days away from the barn. Guess that can't happen now.

It's really a terrible situation with Rusty. I talked to my mom and sister about it more. My sister is still really hopeful for him, and I feel bad telling her the truth really brutally, but she's just not seeing the reality. It's just like when Alex was dying and he looked 'OK' in the oxygen chamber. As soon as you take that away, reality creeps in. It's the same thing with Rusty. He's dying, but the fluids and medicine make him look OK. And I'm glad he can enjoy this time, but it's a lie. It won't last. I see right through it.

My sister and mom would really like for him to pass away at home, but I think we need to step up and make the decision. I feel pretty bad, my sister was getting Rusty to nibble a piece of food and saying how she thinks he's still perky and eating, and that he should have more time since he's not starving. And I was upset, and I just blurted out that he's starving to death RIGHT NOW and that his body is dying. What he will eat isn't enough to survive off of, and I don't know that he's even really getting any nutrition at all at this point.

It was so different with Thomasina. She always had an appetite. We never had to force her to eat, even in the end. She ate the night before and passed in her sleep.

They don't want to wait until he's suffering, but they're not ready to let go either. We're all so conflicted and upset. We're going to meet in the middle of the road and give him until Tuesday or Wednesday and see how comfortable he is. He is feeling content and peaceful now, but I don't know how long that will last. It's a matte of days. He's happy and enjoying himself right now, I don't want for him to lose that. I don't want his functions to be so impaired that euthanasia is more difficult than it has to be. I'm really afraid of that happening, like what if his pulse is weak and it takes longer than it did for Alex? Alex was gone as soon as the solution hit him. I want Rusty's death to be that peaceful and painless.

He is legally my mom's cat, but the vet's office knows me. I feel like if I were to show up with him and ask them to do what needs to be done, they'd just do it. I don't want it to come to that, and don't think it will have to. I want us all to be there for him.

It's just really difficult and horrible. It's one of the most difficult animal deaths I've ever experienced. Alex was the only pet we had to euthanize, but he had no time at all left so there was no choice in the decision. This time is much more agonizing. The 'right thing' isn't so black and white. I'm still really upset about everything, but I am finding comfort in keeping Rusty's best interests in mind. I took Jack on a walk with my mom, and I think she agrees now that I've spelled out how I feel about it and why. I'd rather be upset with myself for making the call too early and preventing him for suffering than wait too late and know that I could have done something to stop his pain sooner.

I don't wish decisions like this on anybody, and I have a lot of respect for the people who've been in our shoes before.

Cute Fairy

*hugs Pook* I'm so sorry. : (

Dapper Nerd

6,550 Points
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Nerd 50
  • Conventioneer 300
Thank you. ;__;

So far, so good. Jeze's leg hasn't changed, which I think is good news. I was expecting it to have swollen up more, but I guess I caught it early enough to prevent it from getting really bad. She has no trouble walking, but it is still very painful.

Rusty's condition has been holding pretty steady. My sister took him out in the yard early this morning before it got hot, he was rolling in sunbeams and chasing moths. Now he's sitting in a window. We might be able to make his appointment Wednesday? We'll just have to see how he does. We could keep the appointment for tomorrow or push it later in the week, but it's going to be any day now.

Cute Fairy

*snug* If he's acting normal, chasing moths and rolling in sunbeams, maybe there's a chance for improvement? : ( I'll send my prayers to him.

Dapper Nerd

6,550 Points
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Nerd 50
  • Conventioneer 300
I wish he could improve. He started to slow down a few hours ago. I sat next to him and scratched his chin, and he turned away from me. He's still comfortable because of the injected fluids, but it's become more apparent that he's just so tired. He's acting distant. There has definitely been a change in him within the last few hours. He doesn't want to fight it anymore. He has no interest in eating. We've decided that we'll let him go tomorrow, probably in the evening once it cools down a little. I'm glad that we have been able to keep him comfortable and spend the last few days with him. Several friends have visited him to say goodbye, he is very loved.

Thank you for the prayers. I can only hope that his passing will be as peaceful as possible.

Dapper Nerd

6,550 Points
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Nerd 50
  • Conventioneer 300
He's passed now. It was very peaceful.

Sparkly Prophet

5,350 Points
  • Grunny Grabber 50
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • V-Day 2011 Event 100
Oh, Rusty. ;O; He always sounded like such a wonderful cat, I'm not surprised he had a lot of visitors. I'm glad he was able to have his last few days be peaceful.

Cute Fairy

*hugs Pook* : (

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas